Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That might be the worst MMO population data I've ever seen.

EVE Online might have 9.67 million players across its lifetime if you're including banned RMT accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
About the only reliable way to get population numbers are externally available metrics like Steam charts (which are by no means complete). MMO companies treat subscriber/player numbers as business secrets.

An Amazon games division executive was fairly smarmy about the whole thing.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-dev-on-lotro-the-industry-moves-on/

quote:

When asked if LOTRO affects the potential for Amazon Games' own title, Hartmann responded: "Not at all. First of all, I have a lot of respect for them to keep it going that long." The developer continues, "They have a, not huge, but a very dedicated fanbase. But looking just at the technology, where we're at now, and where we will be in a couple of years, it's just worlds apart."

Hartmann then compares the difference in technology between the two games to the likes of black and white and in color movies: "It's a little exaggeration if I say it's going to be like black and white movies to color, but that's the approach I want to take. It's just a completely different world."

"I think they actually can co-exist," Hartmann adds, "Even the most likely scenario is for people just to move over because the other one is an old game. It's not a bad game, but the industry moves on at some point, and it's a long time from their release to ours."

Given that the only title Amazon's been able to release with some success (Lost Ark) is one developed outside the company, I wouldn't be so smug about it, but that's just me!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Comrade Koba posted:

Not entirely sure how these things work, but in case the new game does launch and does poorly, couldn’t Amazon just buy MEE and close down LotRO in order to try to force the existing player base on to the new one?

It would be monumentally stupid, but that wouldn’t be a first for Amazon.

Middle Earth Enterprises was sold to Embracer from Saul Zaentz last fall. No way Embracer is going to sell it off to Amazon, and Amazon's television show rights are licensed directly from Tolkien Estate. Arguably they may actually be paying two license fees for this game, lol.

quote:

Hartmann then compares the difference in technology between the two games to the likes of black and white and in color movies: "It's a little exaggeration if I say it's going to be like black and white movies to color, but that's the approach I want to take. It's just a completely different world."

There should be a class for anyone talks to the media and it should be that no one should ever roll out an analogy about "black and white movies vs color movies" even if he's just talking about technical advancement. I mean, the new Star Wars movies had technical advancements at their disposal that they never could have even dreamed of in 1977. They also loving suck.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I took a little brake, but am now questing through Lothlórien and it is such a pretty zone.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 19, 2023

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011

OhFunny posted:

I took a little brake, but am now questing through Lothlórien and it is such a pretty zone.

The Caras Galadhon musical theme is also one of my favourite in the game, aside from the rustic folk stuff in Bree-land.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
https://twitter.com/greatcheshire/status/1661783603582500864?s=46&t=PGSJnoB5wVhiFVMWNiYl2w

Good lord this game looks like poo poo

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Good lord this game looks like poo poo

Apparently it plays like poo poo as well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
https://i.imgur.com/vbW9ogD.mp4

Really does.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
lol what the hell is going on with that

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Just a little beard trick Gandalf taught him.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The developer put out a modern-game-apology.jpg up on twitter (as one does) and referred to the game as "The Lord of the Ring: Gollum". It's a hilarious typo but also I guess it tells you something about something.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

The developer put out a modern-game-apology.jpg up on twitter (as one does) and referred to the game as "The Lord of the Ring: Gollum". It's a hilarious typo but also I guess it tells you something about something.

Um excuse me it was "The Lord of Ring: Gollum"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Lord Ring: The Gollum

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Gollum: The Ring Lord

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Lum_ posted:

Gollum: The Ring Lord

:hmmyes:

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Pryce posted:

Um excuse me it was "The Lord of Ring: Gollum"

:eyepop: That's even better

Update 36 tomorrow: https://www.lotro.com/update-notes/lotro-update-36-release-notes-en

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
After you get married you become one creature.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know much about card games but is that a Lord of the Rings/Magic crossover? Has that been done before?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I hope worldchat never sees this.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know much about card games but is that a Lord of the Rings/Magic crossover? Has that been done before?

Magic has had crossover sets with wildly different franchises like Transformers and My Little Pony as well:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 6, 2023

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Yeah don't read the internet about that Magic/LOTR crossover.

Also you are missing the best MTG crossover:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Lol

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cutedge posted:

Also you are missing the best MTG crossover:

Eh, if they want to do children’s media I think My Little Pony is still a better thematic fit. :v:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rudeboy Detective posted:

yes

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've made it to Southern Mirkwood and I like how grim and dreary this zone is. It's a nice contrast to bright and lovely Lothlórien.

I do wonder why weapons are still offered as quest rewards. I feel Legendary weapons make such rewards obsolete.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

OhFunny posted:

I do wonder why weapons are still offered as quest rewards. I feel Legendary weapons make such rewards obsolete.

At least one reason is for off-hand weapons for dual-wielding classes/specs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I want them to offer more weapons if they have skins I don't have, for cosmetics.

One of my worries is that there aren't going to be any new two-hander skins I can get at higher levels.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxBkKD4_dBU

lots of news for U37/U38! Mariner class! River hobbits! stat crunch! Lag fixes! new delving stuff! Guardian and Beorning revamps

edit: replaced with youtube link

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 16, 2023

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Looking good! I've been excited for the Mariner since hints started popping up on equipment in game. DPS class with Sea Shanties!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
You can get the Gundabad Expansion at a 25% discount from the LotRO Store. Lasts for a week.

Every single carry-all is also there, so if you need more inventory/vault space, those are good value.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Hello, I just stumbled onto this item code and thought some here might enjoy it. The info says the promotion shouldn't have started yet, but I tried it in the in-game store and it redeemed for me. If nothing else, the Universal Toolkit is very handy if you don't have one.

LOTROMTGO2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the portrait frame is amazing, would recommend just for that

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

the portrait frame is amazing, would recommend just for that

Could you give a screenshot? Can't find one anywhere.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Here's part of a screenshot I just took of the Samwise Portrait.

And here's a pic from elsewhere of the Samwise Property Guard. He apparently has a quest every day to give you a Cooking/Farming Profession item, too.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
:allears: potatos. perfect.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Any theories on what the mariner might entail beyond “might sing some songs?” Like are there any NPCs or something it might be inspired from? I feel like when I read it I’m having a lot of trouble imagining what the heck it will actually do.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ort posted:

Any theories on what the mariner might entail beyond “might sing some songs?” Like are there any NPCs or something it might be inspired from? I feel like when I read it I’m having a lot of trouble imagining what the heck it will actually do.

My uneducated guess would be a light armor-wearing melee class with at least a DPS and a support spec, some sort of champion/minstrel hybrid but wearing cloth instead of plate.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

DryGoods posted:

Here's part of a screenshot I just took of the Samwise Portrait.

And here's a pic from elsewhere of the Samwise Property Guard. He apparently has a quest every day to give you a Cooking/Farming Profession item, too.

That's great! Thanks.

I'll definitely use the portrait on my second hobbit character then. The "prowling chef."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I wonder if the new expansion will let us sail around really laggy boats that turn strangely