Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Nope. I got both my previous and current position off of 12-month rosters. The IRS loves them.

I should also note that the job I currently have isn’t the one that was listed. I hit the BQ list and a manager in a different area (but same job series) offered me a job. Which is why I’ve been a Cobol developer for 4 years now without knowing a single thing about Cobol.

Thanks! To your latter point, does this mean that there is more of a chance of "I saw your resume on the 12 month roster, this is a different job but you interested?" that is, a little bonus benefit of applying?

Also, this may be more DM-worthy, but as someone in Fed tech consulting who has never worked for the actual Fed, is IRS a good jump/decent place to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

Thanks! To your latter point, does this mean that there is more of a chance of "I saw your resume on the 12 month roster, this is a different job but you interested?" that is, a little bonus benefit of applying?

Also, this may be more DM-worthy, but as someone in Fed tech consulting who has never worked for the actual Fed, is IRS a good jump/decent place to work?

At least for IT, it has been the case. Hiring managers have been allowed to pull candidates from any BQ list for the same job series and grade. But with that listing being an 0301, I can’t be completely sure how it would work.

As for working tech in the IRS, the biggest advantage is that we tend to pay more for IT compared to other agencies. Non-supervisory GS-13 positions are common, and I know a good number of 14s and 15s that still get to do actual work.

Downsides? The usual. Management is a huge mixed bag. Good ideas get bogged down in bad implementations. But it is better now than it was when I started 10 years ago.

I had a few years where I seriously considered leaving because I was stuck under a bad manager and didn’t see a way forward. But my current org loves my work, I have the freedom to pursue ideas and implement them how I want, and I’m honestly enjoying the work I’m currently doing (developing automated testing systems).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

Quick question - I've seen a job I'm interested in on USAJobs, but it has a "12 month Register" posting. Is there any reason that that's a red flag or "dont even bother" or is that just another posting and I'm overthinking it?

(for reference https://www.usajobs.gov/job/696272600)

My understanding is that they will probably do waves of hiring and will pull from the list of people that applied during the twelve months. I just applied for a job with a 12 month roster and supposedly the decision for the first wave is going to be made at the end of the month, but we'll see.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thanks all! Is there a thread-recommended resource for making a good Fed Resume other than “copy paste words from the listing as best you can”? I’ve got Thread Fed Superstar Toshimo to help, but curious if there’s anything else to reference to not bug him constantly.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Does anybody have a good resource for the rules/tips on asking for step increases when taking a new position in the same grade level? I just got a tentative offer for a job with my same grade, and I'm about 2 months from getting my step increase in the current job. Obviously I'd like them to go ahead an start me at the next step up. I've heard that it's possible to negotiate the steps you start at if you were previously earning a higher salary, etc. Anybody know reliable source I can look at before I start asking the hiring officials?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Does anybody have a good resource for the rules/tips on asking for step increases when taking a new position in the same grade level? I just got a tentative offer for a job with my same grade, and I'm about 2 months from getting my step increase in the current job. Obviously I'd like them to go ahead an start me at the next step up. I've heard that it's possible to negotiate the steps you start at if you were previously earning a higher salary, etc. Anybody know reliable source I can look at before I start asking the hiring officials?

The term that usually gets used for it is a quality step increase. It's fairly typical to receive a quality step increase of one to two steps when making a significant change of position at the same grade. Per opm guidance you should keep your time in grade for your step increase regardless of the quality step increase and/or position change. If you don't get your step at the appropriate time I would definitely be a thorn in the side of management and the union if you have one.

The biggest tip is to be unemotional and practical about it. You are more likely to get a we don't do that response than a withdrawal of the position but you should be prepared for them to say no.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SgtScruffy posted:

Thanks all! Is there a thread-recommended resource for making a good Fed Resume other than “copy paste words from the listing as best you can”? I’ve got Thread Fed Superstar Toshimo to help, but curious if there’s anything else to reference to not bug him constantly.

My recommendations are:

1) Use the resume creator, fill in everything and leave no gaps and be as long and extensive as you want (but you can leave the previous salary boxes blank)

2) Have in your attachments a normal human-readable resume

3) When applying for jobs create a version of your USA jobs resume that keyword matches. If you see a job you like, you can also look up the job series code on OPM for a formal HR definition of the keywords that are needed for that role (google search OPM classification Job Series XXXX). This can save an enormous amount of time because then you can just search by job series code too (the codes aren't perfect, but it is ONE way to discover roles you otherwise wouldn't have considered or seen).

4) When taking a suitability quiz answer "expert" or the equivalent absolute best version of every a/b/c/d question. I'm of the opinion you should do this even if you are not for two reasons: 1) The hiring manager doesn't actually see these answers. They're just screening questions for HR to give you a ranked score. 2) Even if the hiring manager did see them, they will not ask you about them because they're looking to see if you're a fit and not if you lied on a meaningless pedantic web-quiz. If they did care, it would likely be an awful place to work.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I think the process widely varies by agency but I will say that the resumes that come out of the builder suck rear end and might get you past HR screening but I'd bet dollars to donuts they're impossible for hiring managers to review in a lot of places.

The two tier system of needing to demonstrate competence to someone with no knowledge of the area of work and to someone with explicit (and often unpublished) knowledge of the work that needs doing makes the whole process a shitshow.

I'm also happy to share a template resume that's served me well in the past that I got from a book ages ago.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thank you! Alucard I’ll DM you if you have plat.

I tried to apply to a job the other day that was open to the public, but apparently in the non-USA Jobs system it was set up to be Fed-only. I emailed the HR person and they said to apply to this OTHER listing which was the same job, but the public version… and sent me an entirely different job listing altogether. And the one I sent explicitly said public.

Oh well guess they didn’t actually want the public to apply

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Alucard posted:

I think the process widely varies by agency but I will say that the resumes that come out of the builder suck rear end and might get you past HR screening but I'd bet dollars to donuts they're impossible for hiring managers to review in a lot of places.

This. I know the USCIS prefers you just save a resume as a PDF instead of using the resume builder, and I am glad for it.

SgtScruffy posted:

I tried to apply to a job the other day that was open to the public, but apparently in the non-USA Jobs system it was set up to be Fed-only. I emailed the HR person and they said to apply to this OTHER listing which was the same job, but the public version… and sent me an entirely different job listing altogether. And the one I sent explicitly said public.

Huh, that's odd. I know there are definitely public openings and then ones for excepted service applicants. Would it be okay if you linked to the job posting?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SgtScruffy posted:

What's the equivalent of shouting "REPRESENTATIVE" into an automated phone system, to get the low level HR drone to escalate an issue to their supervisor because they're being a dummy?

Here's my shot, that doesn't actually say "Just forward this email to your supervisor, please"

"I think we're having a misunderstanding about the issue I identified with this posting. Is it possible for you to loop in someone else to review this? I think it's an error that will be affecting your hiring pool, since it's preventing the public from applying. To reiterate, blah blah blah"

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Alucard posted:

The two tier system of needing to demonstrate competence to someone with no knowledge of the area of work and to someone with explicit (and often unpublished) knowledge of the work that needs doing makes the whole process a shitshow.

I'm also happy to share a template resume that's served me well in the past that I got from a book ages ago.

Yeah, that's why I always add a human-readable resume an an "other" attachment in my applications. That way you can get the best/worst of both worlds

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Alucard posted:

I'd also be interested in the template resume.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Dammerung posted:

This. I know the USCIS prefers you just save a resume as a PDF instead of using the resume builder, and I am glad for it.

Huh, that's odd. I know there are definitely public openings and then ones for excepted service applicants. Would it be okay if you linked to the job posting?

It was this one that is now unfortunately closed:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/728436400

When I emailed her saying that I filled out the questions in a way that shouldn’t disqualify me, but it said I was intelligible, she responded “I advise you to check your answers and try again.”

Toshimo then said “gently caress it gimme a minute and I’m gonna just try applying with every combo” and found that it only went through when fed. He then emailed her and told her as such and she sent him a job posting for “Chief Data Scientist” and said the one he sent didn’t list it as public, didn’t respond when he said “that’s an entirely different job altogether and the one I sent definitely IS public ”

(Thanks Tosh for doing work for me)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
That posting is super fucky, looks like a combo public/internal which I've never seen. Usually there's a separate public one and a federal service + a bunch of special authorities.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Devor posted:

What's the equivalent of shouting "REPRESENTATIVE" into an automated phone system, to get the low level HR drone to escalate an issue to their supervisor because they're being a dummy?

Here's my shot, that doesn't actually say "Just forward this email to your supervisor, please"

"I think we're having a misunderstanding about the issue I identified with this posting. Is it possible for you to loop in someone else to review this? I think it's an error that will be affecting your hiring pool, since it's preventing the public from applying. To reiterate, blah blah blah"

As far as I know I've not heard of anyone from outside being able to "speak to the manager" - the best case scenario from the "this posting is busted" is to let a hiring manager know and they'll be much more inclined to raise the issue. But lots of postings you can't see who's hiring off it or figure it out from an org lookup.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

SgtScruffy posted:

It was this one that is now unfortunately closed:

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/728436400

When I emailed her saying that I filled out the questions in a way that shouldn’t disqualify me, but it said I was intelligible, she responded “I advise you to check your answers and try again.”

Toshimo then said “gently caress it gimme a minute and I’m gonna just try applying with every combo” and found that it only went through when fed. He then emailed her and told her as such and she sent him a job posting for “Chief Data Scientist” and said the one he sent didn’t list it as public, didn’t respond when he said “that’s an entirely different job altogether and the one I sent definitely IS public ”

(Thanks Tosh for doing work for me)

Oh, wow, I am so sorry, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Alucard posted:

That posting is super fucky, looks like a combo public/internal which I've never seen. Usually there's a separate public one and a federal service + a bunch of special authorities.

I was honestly thinking it was something like this.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Dammerung posted:

Oh, wow, I am so sorry, that is absolutely ridiculous.

I was honestly thinking it was something like this.

Right, and I think that’s what the HR person thought too. But the “public” one she sent was just straight up a different posting (that DID have two listings)

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Beerdeer posted:

Nebraska Service Center is hiring 27 Immigration Services Officers at a 7-9 ladder. Basic qualification is a bachelor's with a 3.0 gpa. This is a great job in a great location, and it's t-shirt and jeans dress code.

I have made it to the second part of this - got an email containing the next steps. Not sure if anybody else here applied for it too, but it is very exciting.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dammerung posted:

I have made it to the second part of this - got an email containing the next steps. Not sure if anybody else here applied for it too, but it is very exciting.

V cool! Cautious congrats

My TIG raise comes through Monday. I'm up to a 12-8. Shame I don't really have anywhere to go that isn't management.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 16, 2023

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing like looking at an amended return trapped in CAT-A long enough to have a baby.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Beerdeer posted:

V cool! Cautious congrats

My TIG raise comes through Monday. I'm up to a 12-8. Shame I don't really have anywhere to go that isn't management.

12-8?! Awesome stuff! Hoping to get a step or two under my belt soonish. I completed my writing assessment for the ISO position, admittedly didn't do as well as I would have liked, but I kinda hope my references will be enough to get me to an interview. (I'm actually not sure if there's gonna be one? I'd imagine there is.)

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Interviewed for a GS-11 role last week. It went okay. I'm a little light on the experience so I won't be phased if it doesn't come through, but how long does it typically take before I am notified of the result?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sacrist65 posted:

Interviewed for a GS-11 role last week. It went okay. I'm a little light on the experience so I won't be phased if it doesn't come through, but how long does it typically take before I am notified of the result?

Oh, buddy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sacrist65 posted:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I usually ask them if they have an expected time frame for a decision during the interview. It is usually pretty accurate if they give you a concrete answer. Or if they don't have a clear answer, put it out of your mind and just keep applying. My first fed job was a GS-9, and I got the offer several months after the last time I had contact about the position. (But that was also a "Many Vacancies" position, which I think tend to have a long wait as they extend offers in waves.)

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I usually ask them if they have an expected time frame for a decision during the interview. It is usually pretty accurate if they give you a concrete answer. Or if they don't have a clear answer, put it out of your mind and just keep applying. My first fed job was a GS-9, and I got the offer several months after the last time I had contact about the position. (But that was also a "Many Vacancies" position, which I think tend to have a long wait as they extend offers in waves.)

Thanks for that. Someone other than the interviewer walked me out and told me there's no definitive date. So I'll just go on living my life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For real advice: you may never hear a thing if you're not selected. If you are, it could be anywhere from a week to a few months if it's a single vacancy opening. I know my agency just finished interviewing for two vacancies and were planning on making decisions and sending out offers about a week after they finished.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sacrist65 posted:

My current position, that I've been in since August '22, still shows up on USAjobs as "reviewing applicants" and I never actually got an official email from HR about it. (It was an internal posting and I found out I got it via my current manager going "so buddy guess you're leaving us, eh?").

HR is a gently caress.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Jobs I've applied to with HHS all have required a separate, timed aptitude "occupational" assessment that's tons of logic questions and other irrelevant junk from the LSAT or other standardized tests. I suppose it keeps down on the number of applicants, but I ain't got time for that poo poo. It also doesn't exactly make me relish working there. I haven't seen anything similar from other agencies.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 23, 2023

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sacrist65 posted:

It really depends on the job. I've had three Federal jobs so far. One of them, I started in less than a month after applying, another, it took me a little over a month, and the one I'm currently in took me three months after originally applying, but I delayed my EOD for a month so I could move across the country for it. The thing is, none of those were GS-11 positions - I'm sure it'll take a little longer to get your final result, but if nothing else, at least you got the interview!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thesaurus posted:

Jobs I've applied to with HHS all have required a separate, timed aptitude "occupational" assessment that's tons of logic questions and other irrelevant junk from the LSAT or other standardized tests. I suppose it keeps down on the number of applicants, but I ain't got time for that poo poo. It also doesn't exactly make me relish working there. I haven't seen anything similar from other agencies.

Huh, that's interesting. I'm guessing for PHD qualifying at one of the 'prestigious' locations?

I work for HHS and I don't think we have that kind of gatekeeping in my agency. But we're not cool.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Devor posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I'm guessing for PHD qualifying at one of the 'prestigious' locations?

I work for HHS and I don't think we have that kind of gatekeeping in my agency. But we're not cool.

I was wrong, it was for CMS. But it's for everything-- just random jobs at all GS levels. It sounds like they may use it at other agencies, too, and that it's a relatively recent development that agencies can implement. Look up USA Jobs Hire Assessment. Several hours of logic games and junk to help screen out people, i guess. Sounds like the score is good for a year for multiple applications.

I suppose I should just sit down and do it since I can than use it for every applicable job, but it's really bullshit.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Gwaihir posted:

My current position, that I've been in since August '22, still shows up on USAjobs as "reviewing applicants" and I never actually got an official email from HR about it. (It was an internal posting and I found out I got it via my current manager going "so buddy guess you're leaving us, eh?").

HR is a gently caress.

Got you beat. I've been in my "reviewing applications" job since January 2021. This was a public posting, so it's just chilling out there for everyone else.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Another 8 DHS hours.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Thank god. I’ve been off two days with COVID and I need that for my vacation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Had a town hall meeting today, and the SESes said that productivity since switching to maximum telework has increased (people are more productive when not getting constantly interrupted and not miserable from commuting? #whoa #wow) and they won't be making any changes to that or the full remote work stance, so that's nice. I guess I'm not too surprised since we're actively hiring people as remote workers, but it was good to hear from the people making the decisions. (Still in twice per pay period since I haven't applied for remote yet, but I think I'm going to do that.)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Woohoo, July 1. Now eligible to retire. I'm also on a 6 day TDY scoring some overtime over the weekend and holiday.

Max out your TSP everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Woohoo, July 1. Now eligible to retire. I'm also on a 6 day TDY scoring some overtime over the weekend and holiday.

Max out your TSP everyone.

Congratulations!

And yes, it can be hard to do at the dawn of your career but max that thing out as soon as you can.