Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mr Hootington posted:

The new Shazam book is really good

Yes! I love that the conflict seems to be Shazam is being a jerk for no reason; and he hates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, I've never been as into Morrison's bullshit as most comics nerds (I think Hickman at his best is what they're TRYING to be and failing at mostly) so I don't mind Chip taking another crack at some of their stuff.

Chip's take works because it's taking the piss out of the prep time god take on Batman. Batman has friends and family that he can rely on.

Always love to see some Zur-En-Arrh. Batman is such a control freak, he created a back up personality, and it out control freaked him.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You got a love Batman theory crafting solutions to problems that may never exist

What if Dracula rules, but is a fish, and British?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Upsidads posted:

You got a love Batman theory crafting solutions to problems that may never exist

What if Dracula rules, but is a fish, and British?

The British part is key. Just let him self-govern and eventually he’ll self-destruct for little to no reason

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I will miss you, Adams era Flash. A bright spot in nearly 2 decades of nonsense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
His Green Lantern seems decent. Has the "Hal is a massive fuckup" energy down.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve overall had a good time with Zdarsky’s Batman, but I do think it undermines what made Zurr-en-arrh work in RIP: that personality wasn’t purposefully cultivated, it emerged out of Bruce’s broken brain. Unless I’m mistaken, Zdarsky presents it as purposefully created, which defeats the point (and the “Zorro in Arkham” reveal)

But yeah that last page was fun.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Chip's take works because it's taking the piss out of the prep time god take on Batman. Batman has friends and family that he can rely on.

Always love to see some Zur-En-Arrh. Batman is such a control freak, he created a back up personality, and it out control freaked him.

This is my take on it. It's turning the Batgod and prep time stuff back in on Batman. it's Batman versus himself in a more literal way as well as confronting a bunch of his other, more selfish notions.

It's definitely a fun enough romp at least and there are a number of good moments throughout.

Gotham War sounds like a dumb as hell crossover based on the name, but maybe Bat vs. Cat as they struggle to decide on a new norm for Gotham might be interesting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaz-L posted:

His Green Lantern seems decent. Has the "Hal is a massive fuckup" energy down.

Just read green lantern #1 and it was good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/psuedofolio/status/1666254855726309378?s=20

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just got Superboy #1 that got literally lost in the mail and I had a great time with. Love the art, the story’s fun and honestly it’s the most newbie friendly thing I’ve read in the last few months.

Also going through the Warworld saga as I came into DC just as it was ending and felt I was missing out. It’s certainly a different tone from what I remember Superman being and I dig it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I get more interested with each addition

https://twitter.com/aiptcomics/status/1666886062440841216?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Not to sound dismissive but, who?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Siegkrow posted:

She's from Wildstorm. Don't know much beyond that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

From WildCATs in specific and Wildstorm in general, which still feels slightly jarring when they bring it up in the DCU.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna be very mad if Cass is there without Steph.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Siegkrow posted:

She’s in the WILD CATS. There’s a good series running now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm gonna be very mad if Cass is there without Steph.

Cass is her own person. She's allowed to join teams without Steph or Babs if she wants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Love Big Barda and Cassandra Cain, so I’m sold.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Cass is her own person. She's allowed to join teams without Steph or Babs if she wants.

Sure but I don't think she would. Especially with everything that's happened in the Batgirl series. They seem pretty inseparable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Birds of Prey with Cass but without Barbra is weird to me, but sure.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is clearly a team that looks to be more blunt object than finesse in terms of capabilities and it'll be an interesting change of pace.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Black Canary is recruiting three of the best fighters in the DCU. Don't really know who would round things out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Harley

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The new writer dropped a hint at the roster with five hearts, one black, two blue and two red. Black one is obviously Cass. the two Blue ones are Canary and Barda. One of the red ones is Zealot so the fifth member would be someone with a primarily red costume like Kate Spencer or Emiko Queen or Jessie Quick or someone.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Xelkelvos posted:

The new writer dropped a hint at the roster with five hearts, one black, two blue and two red. Black one is obviously Cass. the two Blue ones are Canary and Barda. One of the red ones is Zealot so the fifth member would be someone with a primarily red costume like Kate Spencer or Emiko Queen or Jessie Quick or someone.

Red Canary is red and bird-themed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

Red Canary is red and bird-themed.

It's this. They just meet in the last crossover and it was played up as a ~big deal~.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's Abby Arcane retconed to have a green mohawk

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Firehawk is bird themed and has a lot of colours and I wanna think the creators are brave enough to use a character that 99.9% of the population forgot existed.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I don't think I've ever read a bad Kelly Thompson book. I believe she may be the only writer in comics that understands people in New Orleans don't speak like Pepe Le Pew as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

Harley

Winner!
https://twitter.com/DCOfficial/status/1667250216540438528?t=tokPfX2_09m7tLiV9ZJwAQ&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

My interest went from "I'll read it" to "I guess because I'm subscribed to Infinite."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah. The addition of Harley is underwhelming to say the least.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I trust Kelly Thompson. It’ll be a fun book.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The one question I always have when Harley shows up on teams like this is why anyone would actually want to recruit her. I don't even really understand why Waller would want her on the Suicide Squad. Like, I understand from a business perspective--she's a popular character--and I understand from a team dynamics standpoint--you want the "Howling Mad" Murdoch archetype--but I don't understand why someone like Black Canary would willingly add her to their team. She's not particularly strong or skilled. She's reasonably smart and clever, but not more so than a dozen other characters that aren't crazy loose cannons.

I guess I'll just have to see. I'm still excited for the title, I just hope it doesn't turn into the "Harley Quinn and her four babysitters" book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

The one question I always have when Harley shows up on teams like this is why anyone would actually want to recruit her. I don't even really understand why Waller would want her on the Suicide Squad. Like, I understand from a business perspective--she's a popular character--and I understand from a team dynamics standpoint--you want the "Howling Mad" Murdoch archetype--but I don't understand why someone like Black Canary would willingly add her to their team. She's not particularly strong or skilled. She's reasonably smart and clever, but not more so than a dozen other characters that aren't crazy loose cannons.

I guess I'll just have to see. I'm still excited for the title, I just hope it doesn't turn into the "Harley Quinn and her four babysitters" book.

Corporate synergism

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Darth Nat posted:

They've been making a concerted effort to turn her from villain to anti hero to full fledged hero for the past couple years at least, putting her on a team of people who come from the same background makes sense from a character standpoint

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like Thompson might even lean into Harley's psych/medical background. it's a skill set that actually does make her a little unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Thompson might even lean into Harley's psych/medical background. it's a skill set that actually does make her a little unique.

It'd work better with her pre-N52 origin where she isn't actually insane.