Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fight twig

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats the ds4 support for sf6 look like

just planning for tourneys. ECT is saying they're running ps5s

I think any "official" PS4 controller will work for PS5 fighting games?

But I'm honestly not sure if that's just for the arcade stick controllers, or if it extends to the normal controllers as well?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

But I'm honestly not sure if that's just for the arcade stick controllers, or if it extends to the normal controllers as well?

Only officially-licensed specialty controllers like sticks (not including fightpads AFAICT), wheels, flight sticks, etc. will work with PS5 games on PS5, and only in their respective game genres.

There is zero support for using a DS4 for PS5 games on PS5, because Sony wants you to buy new controllers.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Only officially-licensed specialty controllers like sticks (not including fightpads AFAICT), wheels, flight sticks, etc. will work with PS5 games on PS5, and only in their respective game genres.

There is zero support for using a DS4 for PS5 games on PS5, because Sony wants you to buy new controllers.

Oh dang, that's super lame

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You could play the ps4 version and use ds4 on ps5 but i dont think the tournament will let you do that probably

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god dammit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
CEO is doing SF6 entirely on ps5

this is gonna be such a shitshow I can't wait

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

clit stick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to see high level play on a ibm style thinkpad red nub pointer

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Thirsty Dog posted:

Form factor is important. The razor imo is a better fit than the smaller indie stuff and being thinner than a standard beast of a hitbox is also a plus imo. Making it that thin while keeping it comfy isn't cheap, it's actually pretty easy to make a big boy hitbox!

are you playing with it on a desk or something or in your lap? I don't have one of the small ones but it seems like the posture would be more awkward for holding it on your lap due to how much lower down the buttons are
otoh the ability to just stick it in a laptop bag or whatever instead of carrying a huge box around sounds like a big advantage

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

are you playing with it on a desk or something or in your lap? I don't have one of the small ones but it seems like the posture would be more awkward for holding it on your lap due to how much lower down the buttons are
otoh the ability to just stick it in a laptop bag or whatever instead of carrying a huge box around sounds like a big advantage

It's not really ideal for anything, it's not good for the wrists when used on a desk, it's awkward on a lap, etc. I prefer the bigger form factor and ended up getting a board 3d printed to fit the micro-sized hitbox my gf uses.

Hugely portable on its own and that let us enjoy SF6 on the Deck from a hotel room at the weekend, but something the size of the razor is far preferable to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

CEO is doing SF6 entirely on ps5

this is gonna be such a shitshow I can't wait

Does it have a lot of issues?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mostly I think the biggest problem is that there's a decent chunk of people out there with brook's boards and such that just aren't compatible with PS5

Looks like they're going to have the ability to rent converters and stuff though, so might not be too bad?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

AFAIK, SF6 is specifically set up to allow PS4 stuff to work on the PS5 version of the game so as long as you have a PS4 licensed or working controller you should be good to go. Our guy with the PS5 setup wont be at locals tomorrow though so I wont be able to actually test for a while.

This is different from strive where you had to run the PS4 version of the game on PS5 for folks to use their old stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to see high level play on a ibm style thinkpad red nub pointer

Honestly, think of the precision.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

Does it have a lot of issues?

Controller compatibility is going to be the number one issue where a lot of people are not going to know that they're running it on PS5 and then learn the hard way that their controller doesn't work on it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Spanish Manlove posted:

Controller compatibility is going to be the number one issue where a lot of people are not going to know that they're running it on PS5 and then learn the hard way that their controller doesn't work on it

yeah i need to figure out my pad situation post haste

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Boogalo posted:

AFAIK, SF6 is specifically set up to allow PS4 stuff to work on the PS5 version of the game so as long as you have a PS4 licensed or working controller you should be good to go. Our guy with the PS5 setup wont be at locals tomorrow though so I wont be able to actually test for a while.

This is different from strive where you had to run the PS4 version of the game on PS5 for folks to use their old stuff.

It won't recognize my PS4 Converter for a xbox stick for the record but I imagine that's not going to affect a huge amount of people.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Working on SF6 Combo stuff, and I'm at a loss for what counts as a link and what doesn't here.

If someone would take a look at this and tell me what DP didn't link out of this, I'd love to know. This makes none sense to me coming from GGST.

https://imgur.com/a/v8GAQ2F

And the input history:

And then a successful attempt:

I suppose it's probably the difference between 18 vs 25 frames to finish the DP input (or in the bottom pictures case, a rough interpretation of a DP input...)

The real question I guess here is 'how do I diagnose this?' There are so many problems I have with linking poo poo and while there is robust information given to you about input and frame data, there is absolutely no information given to you about it's rules - what the goals are. For example, linking Crouching Medium Punch with Standing Light Kick -- I can't do it. I have no idea if I'm pressing the buttons to fast? Too Slow? What is the window I'm trying to actually hit here? I know more about the rules around Flash Knuckle then I do the normals.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 7, 2023

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Working on SF6 Combo stuff, and I'm at a loss for what counts as a link and what doesn't here.

If someone would take a look at this and tell me what DP didn't link out of this, I'd love to know. This makes none sense to me coming from GGST.

And the input history:

I suppose it's probably the difference between 18 vs 25 frames to finish the DP input (or in the bottom pictures case, a rough interpretation of a DP input...)

The real question I guess here is 'how do I diagnose this?' There are so many problems I have with linking poo poo and while there is robust information given to you about input and frame data, there is absolutely no information given to you about it's rules - what the goals are. For example, linking Crouching Medium Punch with Standing Light Kick -- I can't do it. I have no idea if I'm pressing the buttons to fast? To Slow? What is the window I'm trying to actually hit here? I know more about the rules around Flash Knuckle then I do the normals.

i don't know the exact link you're going for to give you advice but here's a good rule of thumb: if you don't get the move you're trying to link to come out when you press the button, you're too early. if you see the move come out but you don't combo, it's too late. you're trying to press the button as soon as the recovery of the move you just did ends

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
That's a cancel, so you were the doing the move too late.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

And the input history:

The real question I guess here is 'how do I diagnose this?' There are so many problems I have with linking poo poo and while there is robust information given to you about input and frame data, there is absolutely no information given to you about it's rules - what the goals are. For example, linking Crouching Medium Punch with Standing Light Kick -- I can't do it. I have no idea if I'm pressing the buttons to fast? Too Slow? What is the window I'm trying to actually hit here? I know more about the rules around Flash Knuckle then I do the normals.
Here's a James Chen video, timestamped for where he talks about the bar above your head and how to use it to learn link timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlemEExotbg&t=3153s

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a setting buried deep in the options that has your character glow during the various states of like hit invuln etc

Also the frame data thing at the bottom has the same information

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For trials, it's probably best to watch the examples. You can tell from the animations whether it's a cancel or a link.

Separately, as another mentions, in the regular training mode, you can turn on frame display and cancellable state information.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So i heard twitch changed some policies on showing your own ads during streams (they want to control all ads now) so starting july 1st fgc tournaments with sponsor ad breaks and on screen banner ads as we know them are not allowed on there anymore.
TO's will need to find sponsorship via twitch and share the payout with twitch or go ad free (aka not exist)

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
They already backtracked on that, but it's not a good sign.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, tournament organizers need to work out alternative places to be doing their poo poo, because Twitch clearly isn't safe for them.

For what it's worth: basically the only thing YouTube streams aren't better at is chat integration, and any streamer chat with an audience bigger than like, 36 people is terrible anyway.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I can string together stuff in GGST way better then I can in SF6. Part of this is that I'm effectively on my Day 1 of SF6, and have many months of GGST, but I'm struggling getting consistency out of a lot of Luke's combo kit. The links feel very tight all the way through and there is a lot of 214 happening, and I'm not so good with 214. Sol doesn't do a ton with 214, so maybe that muscle is just weak for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a difference of game design. In street fighter you can chain certain normals together just because that's how the frame count works out. Like for Juri, stMP crMP combos bc there's enough plus frames on hit from stMP that cover the length of cfMP's startup.

The Gatling system in guilty gear is way more forgiving. You can always just do close slash 2S. That poo poo just works. You have a lot more time to run your offense and hit confirm stuff into specials & supers, spend the meter to pop roman Cancel and take like. 2 seconds to figure out what you're gonna do next.

SF is just a different flow, and it might take a while to get used to. The upside is that like. Whiff punishing somebody with a heavy punch into sweep will do 20%. No fancy combos or resources needed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah in SF sometimes you get a hit and that hit was all you get. Sometimes rounds are just adding up those small hits until someone makes one mistake big enough to finish the job.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah in SF sometimes you get a hit and that hit was all you get. Sometimes rounds are just adding up those small hits until someone makes one mistake big enough to finish the job.

Though notably in SF6 you can pretty much always spend 3 drive meter to upgrade random cancelable normal to better combo. It's a pretty neat system!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

In street fighter you can chain certain normals together just because that's how the frame count works out.

It's worth highlighting that the terminology isn't quite right, here.

In SF, normals cannot be chained (with the general exception of light punches), or cancelled into other normals with the exception of target combos allowing specific normals to be chained into one or two specific followups (these used to be pretty rare, but they seem to have given at least a couple to everyone in the roster this time around).

The vast majority of the time, SF expects you to instead link normals into other normals (which works as you described). Cancelling is normally reserved for normals into specials, and not every normal on any given character is cancellable into specials.

Diaphone did a short video recently on what to expect in SF6 coming from Strive, which is worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmbJy6IxhnE

(Another thing to be aware of is that specials in SF are almost always deeply unsafe, and will cause you to die if blocked when not spaced safely.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 7, 2023

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I appreciate that Diaphone video as basically its target audience but it also kinda makes Street Fighter sound really unappealing with all those comparisons between what you can and can't do.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Veev posted:

They already backtracked on that, but it's not a good sign.

I don't think they will actually end up backtracking on much. Twitch absolutely does want to be the wallet inspector when it comes to advertising on streams

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

(Another thing to be aware of is that specials in SF are almost always deeply unsafe, and will cause you to die if blocked when not spaced safely.)

This has been somewhat backtracked on in SF6- with Drive Impact, Drive Parry, and Perfect Parry afoot, they've felt way more free to give characters specials that are safe on block, if not by frames then by distance pushed back- you're gonnna need to learn the matchups more then before to know what you can punish or what puts you in advantage, and what even still leaves the opponent with their turn.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
New enemy just dropped and it’s JP’s projectile command grab.

I’m really liking Lily still. She’s super simple execution wise, HP (+back, down, or forward) into qcb+mp for wind, qcf+HK to get in their face with advantage, if they block you get to ex command grab. Very satisfying loop.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I've switched from stick to pad when I started trying DNF and playing Strive and I eventually landed on a plain old PS4 pad as my favorite. The D-Pad felt a bit mushy on diagonals so I picked up some split D-Pad mods, which basically replace the solid D-Pad chunk with four individual buttons. It's been a really clean mod that was fairly easy to install and has made hitting diagonals on pad extremely deliberate, I can recommend them highly to anyone who plays on a PS4 pad, has twelve bucks and doesn't mind fiddling with ribbon cables. https://battlebeavercustoms.com/products/ps4-d-buttons

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about getting a hitbox. I've played pretty much all my fighting games over the last 5 years on Keyboard and it's kinda wild how much better that interface feels. It definitely has a learning curve - I actually tried to relearn Melee on keyboard and it's been...rough, but access to unambiguous per-finger input is way too strong to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
doesn't Melee have pressure- and angle-sensitive inputs? making it one of the extremely rare cases where kb+m isn't just flatly superior