Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I would have no issues living above my workshop or whatever, but I cannot approve of this. It hurts my brain trying to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've heard people around here call these toy box houses. You live in a little apartment upstairs and the downstairs is full of your cars, jet skis, motorcycles, etc.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

this must be what it feels like to be a hallucinating ai

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought it was some sort of joke and they weren't actually houses but it looks like that photo is at an angle that makes them look weirder than they are:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wow must be convenient having rail access in your own backyard like that

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I thought it was some sort of joke and they weren't actually houses but it looks like that photo is at an angle that makes them look weirder than they are:

...how is this less weird?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Absolute dogshit

Apr 7, 2003

The built environment should stir your soul and make you feel something positive, those things are absolute loving dog puke. They should not exist.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mystes posted:

that actually looks weirder. the product of a disordered mind, imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

...how is this less weird?
They're longer than they looked in the other picture, so they probably at least have room for a kitchen on the ground floor, and they at least look like houses.

Not to say they're not dumb in other ways, or that it's not inefficient to use that much space for a garage, but they aren't a house that's literally just a garage with a tiny amount of space over it.

They're basically just townhouses but set up in a really dumb way because I guess you need garages and vestigial lawns to get americans to buy them

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The built environment should stir your soul and make you feel something positive, those things are absolute loving dog puke. They should not exist.

None of that matters. They're just investments. You're not supposed to actually look at them or, god forbid, live in them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How much do you want to bet those garages aren't big enough to fit most of the XXL tanks parked in the driveways?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wheres the american gothic thread. I'd love to see this place in winter/fall. Just grey skies, brown grass and that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

eXXon posted:

How much do you want to bet those garages aren't big enough to fit most of the XXL tanks parked in the driveways?

Why do you think they are parked in the driveways

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

there’s a super ancient (2010s!) talk from some urbanist where they toss out the line “places that are worth caring about” and boy if that pic doesn’t put that little phrase in stark relief

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

at least it’s not soviet blocs am I right

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr. Sharps posted:

at least it’s not soviet blocs am I right
whew, thank god

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

mystes posted:

Finally, a home that puts the emphasis on the most important room to the North American citizen: the garage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the groverpod, 70% vinyl siding by weight

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why do you think they are parked in the driveways

- there's already another car/jetski/snowmobile in the garage
- too lazy to open the garage
- showing off to the neighbours

Apr 7, 2003

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
There's something particularly abhorrent to me about the walkway from the door terminating at the driveway

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean ok, we moved our living room upstairs into one of the bedrooms, so downstairs is now the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bike room, and putting garage doors on the front of the house would make it easier to get the bikes out...

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Sharps posted:

there’s a super ancient (2010s!) talk from some urbanist where they toss out the line “places that are worth caring about” and boy if that pic doesn’t put that little phrase in stark relief

I'm reminded of Strong Towns somewhat similar 'if you make a place maintenance free, that just means no one will maintain it'

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mauser posted:

There's something particularly abhorrent to me about the walkway from the door terminating at the driveway

"Insidious" is the word you're looking for

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"Insidious" is the word you're looking for

yeah that's a good one

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

mystes posted:

mystes i know you're a good lad who means well but this post is very funny

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

looks like a happy meal transformer toy somebody couldn't figure out how to finish the transformation

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That said if those were going for like 80k or whatever the inflation adjusted amount starter homes used to go for I'd be all about it, but my lmaos are underpinned with my absolute certainty that those are in some doomed Phoenix exurb and selling for 450k

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

2004 actually

this talk is hilarious, unfortunately i think he's pretty much insane on every other topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

actionjackson posted:

2004 actually

this talk is hilarious, unfortunately i think he's pretty much insane on every other topic

lol that’s the one. the back of the dvd player comparison is great too, even the new single family homes in my neighborhood have these boring but recognizable facades and then the sides are just three story walls of siding with six different sized windows scattered randomly across the surface.

if anything the comparison is unfair to dvd players. the back of your average hifi set shows more consideration to design than these buildings

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also the line about how the intersection is so huge, you can see the curvature of the earth

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It's not just the houses, it's the fact that they're in the middle of a flat, featureless plain. Like, who the gently caress wants to live there? That looks like literal hell.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ham Equity posted:

It's not just the houses, it's the fact that they're in the middle of a flat, featureless plain. Like, who the gently caress wants to live there? That looks like literal hell.

midwest.txt

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

2004 actually

Kunstler’s 1990 book The Geography of Nowhere is required reading

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

That said if those were going for like 80k or whatever the inflation adjusted amount starter homes used to go for I'd be all about it, but my lmaos are underpinned with my absolute certainty that those are in some doomed Phoenix exurb and selling for 450k

exactly, it might actually be worth it (park car in driveway, use garage as gooncave workshop) if it was an actually affordable house but they're probably 500k (and if they're affordable it's probably because they're some sort of public-private-partnership-rental-housing-voucher nonsense with a 30 year waiting list and absurd income requirements) and they're DEFINITELY in some hellfuck middle-of-nowhere newly built suburb, presumably in a shithole state

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh, poo poo, it's not hell, it's purgatory; someone actually built the Medium Place.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

needing to drive a car every single time you have to go do something because you're 30 minutes from the closest anything is not a medium place

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
It's a reference to the show, The Good Place. When people die, they go to The Good Place or The Bad Place. The Medium Place is a sort of purgatory for a single human that no one is really sure what to do with because her karma is perfectly balanced between good and bad. She lives exists a mediocre boring after-life existence in a desolate plan in her boring house.

The Medium Place looks like those homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm saying driving a car is hell