Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yq25GLKuKI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Shazbot!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked everything about LISA in terms of story, aesthetic, music, etc except the actual combat which seemed designed to make you miserable and have a generally unfun time playing. some characters could just die on a bad beat and you'd sort of be hosed without them. maybe some of that got tweaked but idk

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
There's gonna be a Painless mode which I'm guessing is a new easy mode.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You could reload on normal mode (one of the reasons I think character permadeath is just a bad mechanic, I did the same thing with Fire Emblem back in the day). If anything LISA's issue is that I assume 95% of players use Terry and Nern all game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DLC Inc posted:

I liked everything about LISA in terms of story, aesthetic, music, etc except the actual combat which seemed designed to make you miserable and have a generally unfun time playing. some characters could just die on a bad beat and you'd sort of be hosed without them. maybe some of that got tweaked but idk

Much like Pathologic having terrible combat the painful and unsatisfying fights are The Point but intentionally bad is still bad, especially if it's most of your game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

No Wave posted:

What does remastered mean? Are the nipples even redder?
From the official blog post: Updated graphics and UI, new quests, new boss battles, secrets and bonus content. Free update for pre-existing owners of the Steam version.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Nern is great for support. And Terry's just a swell fella to have around (who happens to become a god when you get his final skill and Birdie).

I will always defend the seemingly brutal fights in Painful because with the right party combo, pretty much any fight can be trivialized. Joyful, yeah, the fights are an unfun slog since you only have one party member for most of the game. I do kind of hope you'll be able to recruit more characters in Joyful...however that would work.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 6, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I'm playing Mask of the Rose - I backed it so I got it two days early.
It's interesting. I've played Fallen London, Sunless Seas and Sunless Skies and I feel like this is the first of the three games that DOESN'T seem to expect you to know anything about the rest of the setting. When you meet the first Rubbery man or speaking Rat for example it clearly expects you to be surprised.

Which hey, it's a prequel so fine, whatever.

The romance bit feels strange though, every single character has a "Flirt with [name]" option, but the game is time locked and honestly I feel like I wanna get to grips with the story and flirting is wasting my time almost. There's SO MUCH going on that at times I'm a bit overwhelmed and feel rushed because I can't seem to work on the main story.

The writing is still just as good as ever though and I'm enjoying what I'm reading even though there's a little bit of jank (sometimes you repeat stuff to the same characters, other times it doesn't take into account what you might have done in the past)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Nern is great for support. And Terry's just a swell fella to have around (who happens to become a god when you get his final skill and Birdie).
I mean they're also the best characters (and I went Nern Terry Birdie like most other players), but I'd try to find a way to make other characters appealing to use if I were designing the remaster.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i hope they can make the joy addicted characters viable

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Croccers posted:

What was the deal with the Australian Corporate/WHS voice-over lady?

The answer to this and 'why was this dumb thing this way' is almost always going to be 'the owner wanted it this way'.

The original idea for the game was a civil war shooter, which we were making for a rich guy with a civil war fetish. He already owned a company that makes slot machine games (and rakes it in that way).

At the time, there wasn't an engine capable of representing proper civil war battles with hundreds of men lining up and shooting each, so our two lunatic software engineers made one (they went on to make Marmoset). Then we had the bright idea of including other time periods, and the whole time traveling shooter concept blossomed out of that.

There's a ton we could have done differently, better, or not at all. A lot of the odd seeming choices were compromises between what the owner wanted (usually horrible) and what we talked them into accepting (usually okay). This dude had never played an FPS in his life.

We played around a lot with the idea of modifying period weapons with future-tech - like turning a single shot musket into a self loading gun with fancy upgrades. Ultimately that was declined because it was a huge amount of asset work for our overworked modeling team - and it was deemed simpler to make like 4 'future guns' rather than multiple stages of 'futurized' variants of all the regular weapons. Instead, the player gets to upgrade their overall performance (reload speed, etc) that affects all guns.

That's how we end up with the level where you end up in Antietam with an assault rifle, making some 'numerical adjustments' to the confederate lines. I think the parts of the game where you get really anachronistic guns and go apeshit are the best parts, and there's usually one of those every mission or two.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 6, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Humble Choice is up.

Ghostwire Tokyo
Remnant: From The Ashes - Complete Edition
Curse Of The Dead Gods
Honey I Joined A Cult
Eternal Threads
Grime
Turbo Golf Racing
Meeple Station

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I watched SGF play Ghostwire and it almost made me vomit. There was something weird about the low framerate and how your character moves about :barf:
Only the Cult game looks kinda interesting to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Bought Amnesia: The Bunker, but refunded after a bit of gameplay. The monster is simply too quick and it's no fun, especially when you have to chase around for a scarce resource (generator fuel) that runs out way too quickly.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

The Kins posted:

Humble Choice is up.

Ghostwire Tokyo
Curse Of The Dead Gods
Honey I Joined A Cult
Eternal Threads
Grime
Turbo Golf Racing
Meeple Station

Not a bad bundle at all, but at this point I've played or own all of these I'm interested in.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the summer sale is starting on the 29th, in case anyone else was wondering and didnt feel like looking it up

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sauer kraut posted:

I watched SGF play Ghostwire and it almost made me vomit. There was something weird about the low framerate and how your character moves about :barf:

Pretty sure it's got a narrow FoV too.

Fab bundle though, a good 3-4 games I've patiently waited on instead of impulse buying like an idiot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

eternal threads is neat. I wouldn't say it's an amazing game (i think the un-naturalistic vocal performances and writing make for very stiff cutscenes, and the game is pretty much ALL cutscenes) but it's fun if you like messing with time/flowcharts and seeing the consequences of people's decisions.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

Humble Choice is up.

Ghostwire Tokyo
Curse Of The Dead Gods
Honey I Joined A Cult
Eternal Threads
Grime
Turbo Golf Racing
Meeple Station

A lot of stuff I've wishlisted but haven't bought inhere

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DarkDobe posted:

The answer to this and 'why was this dumb thing this way' is almost always going to be 'the owner wanted it this way'.

The original idea for the game was a civil war shooter, which we were making for a rich guy with a civil war fetish. He already owned a company that makes slot machine games (and rakes it in that way).

At the time, there wasn't an engine capable of representing proper civil war battles with hundreds of men lining up and shooting each, so our two lunatic software engineers made one (they went on to make Marmoset). Then we had the bright idea of including other time periods, and the whole time traveling shooter concept blossomed out of that.

There's a ton we could have done differently, better, or not at all. A lot of the odd seeming choices were compromises between what the owner wanted (usually horrible) and what we talked them into accepting (usually okay). This dude had never played an FPS in his life.

We played around a lot with the idea of modifying period weapons with future-tech - like turning a single shot musket into a self loading gun with fancy upgrades. Ultimately that was declined because it was a huge amount of asset work for our overworked modeling team - and it was deemed simpler to make like 4 'future guns' rather than multiple stages of 'futurized' variants of all the regular weapons. Instead, the player gets to upgrade their overall performance (reload speed, etc) that affects all guns.

That's how we end up with the level where you end up in Antietam with an assault rifle, making some 'numerical adjustments' to the confederate lines. I think the parts of the game where you get really anachronistic guns and go apeshit are the best parts, and there's usually one of those every mission or two.

It was a neat game, thanks for sharing

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Have any of the Pokemon-likes on PC gone anywhere? I remember everyone hyping up Temtem in early access but on launch people were talking about it being a stinker. There were another few both 3d and 2d ones I can't recall so I'm guessing they lacked staying power. Is it just the cultural cache of Pokemon only extends to Pokemon despite there being a billion different critters in it that their identity seems irrelevant? (to an original Pokemon Red/Blue player who stopped after that.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mrenda posted:

Have any of the Pokemon-likes on PC gone anywhere? I remember everyone hyping up Temtem in early access but on launch people were talking about it being a stinker. There were another few both 3d and 2d ones I can't recall so I'm guessing they lacked staying power. Is it just the cultural cache of Pokemon only extends to Pokemon despite there being a billion different critters in it that their identity seems irrelevant? (to an original Pokemon Red/Blue player who stopped after that.)

Haven't played it myself but Cassette Beasts came out a few months ago and is still sitting and overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mrenda posted:

Cassette Beasts and Siralim are both extremely good but for completely different reasons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mrenda posted:

I've a friend who enjoys TemTem and from what he's told me it's basically a game made by diehard fans who are REALLY into the nitty gritty competitive aspect of Pokemon, down to breeding, etc. So it's basically repellent to a casual player unless you really enjoy that side of Pokemon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Myst Studio's New Game Has Loads Of AI-Generated Stuff

Hrrrrrrm.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I mean, it's bad because it's bad - regardless of who or how it was made. If Cyan had been using machine content for background art nobody would have ever noticed nor cared. There'd be no headlines if it turned out Cyan's latest game used unpaid intern labour for the stuff instead.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Ghostwire is, to this day, the one and only game to ever give me motion sickness so bad I had to go lay down in the dark.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Low effort AI-generated content is going to replace asset flips.

I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to pump out VN games once a dev has a good workflow.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a tool for evil though. I saw a concept artist talking about how he had adopted AI generation as part of his workflow and it was still the normal creative process, just using AI for reference pictures instead of traditional media.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, it looks like Japan at least it's taking a step to protect artists, seeing as the output of AI image generation software will be subject to existing copyright infringement legislation.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I bought the Humble Metroidvania collection and going to be trying out ones I haven't played before - Lone Fungus and Haiku the Robot. Heard good things about both.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

DarkDobe posted:

I loved Darkest of Days when I played it, really scratched the itch for Big FPS Battles that is rarely scratched. The last level where you go batshit in Pompeii with a microwave gun mowing down legionaries and future soldiers is absolute gaming caviar
I'm gonna play it again I loved the dumb big ww1 and civil war battles

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Talking about Darkest of Days I miss the gimmick shooters of the early 00s. I'll still defend Haze as as a good shooter even though by most metrics it's bad just because it had cool ideas for side gimmicks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish Darkest of Days was still available on Steam because I would buy it for five bucks.

Serephina posted:

I mean, it's bad because it's bad - regardless of who or how it was made. If Cyan had been using machine content for background art nobody would have ever noticed nor cared. There'd be no headlines if it turned out Cyan's latest game used unpaid intern labour for the stuff instead.

I think there's a pretty big lingering question of the ethics of taking Kickstarter money without disclosing the use of AI tools. I think it's also a bit galling just how loving much they used it for. It reads like they used it to help flesh out all the requisite journals and notes and etc. worldbuilding stuff but like...that poo poo is a huge, fundamental part of their house style rather than mere fluff. Their explanation for how they used it for voice editing/post-processing(?) is also fuckin' weird and it doesn't explain why they failed to properly credit the voice actors.

I think the other critical disconnect is that the alleged benefit for using AI in situations like this is that it allows smaller studios to punch above their weight and do more with less. But Firmament doesn't seem to have actually gained anything from all those cut corners, quite the opposite.

Though I guess I also just fundamentally disagree that nobody would care if the game was good enough to hide it. People do not, in fact, want AI poo poo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 7, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

Much like Pathologic having terrible combat the painful and unsatisfying fights are The Point but intentionally bad is still bad, especially if it's most of your game.

In Pathologic it's less that they're unsatisfying and more that the player character, specifically, is bad at them and you will almost certainly lose more resources than you gain if you're caught unaware, or with your gun unloaded, or if it jams, etc. You can get the drop on people and do well though, but you almost never want to fight fair or unprepared.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently there’s going to be a Crashlands 2: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1401730/Crashlands_2/

The first Crashlands was pretty fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Using AI generated content as part of the creation process owns but it's always disappointing when devs use the AI generated content as the final piece. But also lol as hell at the tweets quoted in the article of people who seemingly loved the game and the writing, then beat it and saw the credits and got mad. Luddites getting mad at technology they don't understand will never stop being entertaining :allears:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2319730/Winnies_Hole/

I suppose as far as "Winnie the Pooh but hosed UP" takes goes, playing as what is essentially The Thing inside of Winnie seems to be more compelling than most.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's trying a bit too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Using AI generated content as part of the creation process owns but it's always disappointing when devs use the AI generated content as the final piece. But also lol as hell at the tweets quoted in the article of people who seemingly loved the game and the writing, then beat it and saw the credits and got mad. Luddites getting mad at technology they don't understand will never stop being entertaining :allears:

The article specifically says that people didn't like the AI generated stuff because the writing was bad. Besides that, the above is like saying "you were happy to drive the car you bought until you found out it was obtained by a carjacking, curious"

Unlucky7 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2319730/Winnies_Hole/

I suppose as far as "Winnie the Pooh but hosed UP" takes goes, playing as what is essentially The Thing inside of Winnie seems to be more compelling than most.

drat they *leaped* onto that copyright expiration date.