Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
speng's title change game is strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/06/03/the-only-thing-worse-than-war-is-losing-one

quote:

Since the start of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Meduza has been analyzing — and refuting — the Russian military propaganda that tries to justify the war (here’s one recent example). But while we find Moscow’s talking points absurd and unconvincing, there’s no denying it: propaganda works. Even among our readers, there are people who continue to make excuses for the invasion, despite the fact that it’s caused untold pain for millions of Ukrainians and has been destructive to Russia itself. We decided to hear what these people had to say: we asked them to explain why they support Russia waging war on Ukraine. Over just a few days, we received hundreds of detailed responses, read them closely, and decided to publish some of them with minimal edits. We believe these letters are an important record, and we hope they’ll be informative for those working to end the war, trying to change the ruling regime in Russia, and wondering how to deal with people whose minds may never be changed.

Warning: The authors of these letters attempt to justify Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. They may be extremely unpleasant or disturbing to read. Proceed with caution.

quote:

Pavel
30 years old, Germany

I don’t support the war, but I decided to write a response, because people who try to find justifications for the war are being equated with those who support it.

I’m angry at both sides of the conflict. I’m angry at Russia because it started a stupid, bloodthirsty war that leads to senseless killing every day. I’m angry at the countries that support Ukraine because they’re not insisting on an immediate cessation of hostilities, on an end to the senseless killing. Instead, they’re supplying the country with weapons, understanding all the while that it’s only increasing the number of victims.

Pavel is right.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1666118406716764160?s=20

:thunk:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like Taiwan actually may be less radical than Ukraine, they have much more to lose economically and so do S Korea and Japan compared to Western Europe. Despite the generally accurate stereotype that those countries governments are even more subservient to American imperialism than NATO Europe, I think they might actually get cold feet on a US-backed shooting war with China in a way that France or Germany would not

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jun 7, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Probably shared the option of the 70-80% earth population and countries.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

icantfindaname posted:

I feel like Taiwan actually may be less radical than Ukraine, they have much more to lose economically and so do S Korea and Japan compared to Western Europe. Despite the generally accurate stereotype that those countries governments are even more subservient to American imperialism than NATO Europe, I think they might actually get cold feet on a US-backed shooting war with China in a way that France or Germany would not

While the people of taiwan may make more sensible decisions than people of Ukraine just on account of they will make the decision after the Ukraine war, and Taiwan relies on cross strait trade more than Ukraine to Russia, keep in mind the Taiwanese are capable of making bone head decisions.

They voted on referendum twice not to use their brand new already built and paid for nuclear power plant #4, with absolutely no alternate power solution insight. They are going to absolutely get hosed when the old power plants retired. People just can't plan a few years far in the future.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

lmao @ the trigger warning for people having different opinions

r/combatfootage gifs of russian conscripts being blown up? drake yes. pavel from germany saying he just wishes the war was over and people weren't dying? oh god i'm feeling faint...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

russian propaganda is so strong, its unfair really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Taiwan relies on cross strait trade more than Ukraine to Russia

that's interesting and something i hadn't considered before

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

alexey reveal your account

Alexey 31 years old, Moscow posted:

I opposed the war from the very start. But now I’m against the radical “libtards,” Western hypocrisy, and everything that continues to feed this war.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

alexey reveal your account

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oooooh I'm SO MAD at what Pavel wrote there!

*tears off hat, stomps on it, and shoots it with a six-shooter*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

What does Taiwan look like after a couple of rinse and repeat maidan > empower nazis cycles though

Granted because china is not a liberal capitalist state they will probably be more interested and proactive in Taiwan's internal affairs than Russia was with Ukraine (until it was far too late)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

What does Taiwan look like after a couple of rinse and repeat maidan > empower nazis cycles though

Granted because china is not a liberal capitalist state they will probably be more interested and proactive in Taiwan's internal affairs than Russia was with Ukraine (until it was far too late)

besides what you've said, I don't think the Taiwan question will be allowed to fester for as long as Ukraine did, for any number of reasons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

besides what you've said, I don't think the Taiwan question will be allowed to fester for as long as Ukraine did, for any number of reasons
do you mean if actual hostilities commence?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

do you mean if actual hostilities commence?

I mean we're not going to get another two decades of the elected government and the general public getting influenced and otherwise hosed with every which way. Something is gonna give before then, up to and including (but hopefully not) open hostilities.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the KMT has recently been floated as the rapproachment party: how realistic is that? it seems to me that they have literally opposite political goals than the CPC

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the Ukraine economy was bad for a very long time before 14; and the east-west cultural split doesn't exist in Taiwan; and as far as I know, Ukraine has a lot more pro west NGO/oversea Ukrainians that made UA an ideal color revolution environment.

I don't get the sense oversea Taieanese are more radical.

Also one more thing I am not sure what the reason is, the DPP seems to use the state machine to monopolize power/oppress the other parties less than Zelensky. They have gained a lot of favorable positions in the juridical branch and the media oversight bodies, but haven't done a lot, which they can if they want to.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Jun 7, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just mean the ideological trajectories of the parties in question. the kmt and cpc may agree on territorial claims but not on governance. is there a universe where they DO agree and the kuomintang becomes the pro-cpc party or do "who will rule" questions just continually gently caress things up?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

i say swears online posted:

I just mean the ideological trajectories of the parties in question. the kmt and cpc may agree on territorial claims but not on governance. is there a universe where they DO agree and the kuomintang becomes the pro-cpc party or do "who will rule" questions just continually gently caress things up?

The KMT after the last president KMT Ma retired, handed the power to the younger generation. It has lost most of its ideology. Right now 90% of their selling points are "not-DPP party". That's pretty much their game plan for next Jan. They are entirely pro status quote and still hold onto the position of "keep talking with mainland but not commit to anything." (That's what "92 Consensus" is, a political gesture to keep talking, keep the cross-strait tango but promise nothing, keep talking without the participation of US)

I honestly can't tell if they have a chance, because the "national" election discourse has changed so much from 8 years ago. And 4 years ago they lost so badly you can't use it to gauge the next election.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 07:33 on Jun 7, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's in almost everyone's interest to keep the taiwan issue simmering at relatively low heat. that means that the PRC has not accepted any illegitimate territorial changes while at the same time realising the facts on the ground while the ROC can be de facto independent and not worry *too* much about a devestating war so long as they accept a certain measure of symbolic humiliation. the americans have traditionally maintained a foothold in this way, and that's the balance of power. moreover, it's an arrangement with which everyone can live until something big changes. the US part of this equation might be changing. the US strategy is typically elite capture; popular sentiment matters remarkably little for even fairly low-level domestic policies and the ability of mass movements to generate and reproduce counter-elites has become highly compromised over the past decades, so if you can build elite consensus you're good. this is what the US policy has been in europe since basically forever.

so the question then becomes how independent the taiwanese elites are, in their KMT or DPP manifestations, and how far they're willing to go to oppose US aims. i have no idea about this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

The KMT after the last president KMT Ma retired, handed the power to the younger generation. It has lost most of its ideology. Right now 90% of their selling points are "not-DPP party". That's pretty much their game plan for next Jan. They are entirely pro status quote and still hold onto the position of "keep talking with mainland but not commit to anything." (That's what "92 Consensus" is, a political gesture to keep talking, keep the cross-strait tango but promise nothing, keep talking without the participation of US)

I honestly can't tell if they have a chance, because the "national" election discourse has changed so much from 8 years ago. And 4 years ago they lost so badly you can't use it to gauge the next election.

thanks! i've been aware of their decline and in theory losing a bunch of seats signals an (eventual) ideological shift. DPP seems poised

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol the thread title changed

Very good

Hear hear.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
In Taiwan only TVBS is not pro green (DPP), all the other television media are pro green. They already close down that one pro blue/KMT television station and made it youtube only.

So don't take the polling that seriously. Again, DPP is capable of dirty tricks to win election and has the resources to do it, but will they go that far I am not sure.

Just last week a bunch of "metoo" scandals broke out, mostly involving DPP party workers. I think there are secret forces (not US/China) at work that planned to push the election to different directions. I think there will be a couple more weird poo poo things happening. Remember when Chan got elected he rode heavily on the mysterious "assassination" attempt to win against KMT.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

we were told that any Ukrainian counter offensive would coincide with a massive disinformation campaign the scope of which had never been seen before meant to sow confusion and defeatism into the Russian forces and buoy up support for Ukraine in the west.. some people believe that this "invasion" into Russia that had Russian telegram losing it's mind over stories about soldiers deserting their positions / joining the rebels and various cities being captured that all turned out to be complete nonsense was a trial run for the methods that would be deployed in the big push for Ukraine. If I'm not mis-remembering there were actually US military sources commenting with anonymity that the only chance in hell Ukraine had of making anything out of this offensive is if Russian forces believe things are falling apart and panic their way out of their prepared defensive positions.

the fact that we haven't got anything like that tells me the counter offensive hasn't started yet.. I mean maybe it's not going to start at all because they've looked at the situation and decided they don't have the capability to make good on their goals at this point in time and they are better to defend.. not saying that there is going to be a big counter offensive. I just think we would have gotten something along the lines of what was speculated of a major coordinated push in information spaces to hype up Ukrainian progress and amplify Russian disorganization and losses if it was underway.

The issue is that they are taking substantive losses on multiple fronts, and if this isn't the "big offensive" then they already chewed up a good portion of the forces they would need for it. We know AMX 10s were on the ground.

In addition, they have been successive assaults that haven't gone anywhere either on other fronts including in the north, Soledar, and around Bakhmut. It is alot of men and material to throw away if you are just waiting. They still have tanks but I actually don't think the small number of Leopards and Challangers they may or may have is really that significant if they are draining the rest of the force away.

----

China has made it clear they will accept the current status quo regarding Taiwan, because it favors them, their economy gets bigger and Taiwan only because more enmeshed into it. It really comes down to if the DPP pushes independence or not, then they were be a blockade, and then the response will be sanctions/complete global chaos.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:28 on Jun 7, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

speng31b posted:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔.....

It just gets me every time that the people hopping mad screaming crime and murder don't give a rats rear end about the exact same thing when the US does it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
whataboutism whataboutism whataboutism!!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kazmeyer posted:

It's like when everyone was like "oh no deepfakes are going to make it so they can fake all kinds of stuff and ruin politics" and it turns out all you have to do is tweet that something occurred and 99% of people will take it as gospel, there's no need to bother with the image manipulation at all.

Yeah, my feeling is that a typical person these days forms their view of current events by flicking through a small number of mainstream news websites and browsing the headlines, only occasionally clicking on a story that particularly catches their interest. (Not that I do that, oh no!)

If in what they see there's multiple headlines saying: "Russia bombs dam, evilly!", then they'll simply absorb the view that Evil Russia has bombed the dam without troubling themselves to look any deeper. After all, if CNN, the BBC and the NYT are all saying so, it must be true!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
alot of pro russian accounts online are jerking off about how its time russia blew up the kiev dam, i think at this point theyre fooling themselves if they think putin would respond in that way given how hes failed to knock out any major infrastructure up until now even when it actively wouldve benefited his war aims.

https://twitter.com/faytuks/status/1666286333898240000?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
In 2013, Ukraine
Export 24% to Russia
Import 30% from Russia

In 2021, Taiwan
Export 28% to mainland
Import 22% from mainland
SCMP

In 2022, Taiwan
Exports 42% to China
Imports 22% from China
DW

I think the difference between the last two is Hong Kong, but I'm not sure.
Not too big a difference, Russia Ukraine trade peaked a couple years before that.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't get the sense oversea Taieanese are more radical.

Radically liberal maybe.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It just gets me every time that the people hopping mad screaming crime and murder don't give a rats rear end about the exact same thing when the US does it.

Cuttlefush posted:

whataboutism whataboutism whataboutism!!

Meduza has enlisted an "expert on military and political ethics" to educate you fools who have been brainwashed by russian propaganda.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/05/30/unjust-on-almost-every-possible-count

quote:

In the process of justifying their actions, Russian officials and propagandists often engage in “whataboutism,” recalling highly controversial past actions by NATO or the U.S. Let's pretend their arguments are sincere. If war crimes and abuses are also committed by Western countries, how are their actions around the globe different from Russia’s?

We have to distinguish two variants of the “whataboutism” view. The first version says that the U.S. and NATO are guilty of aggression against Russia and that therefore they cannot criticize Russia for invading Ukraine. The response to that version is that NATO and the United States were not invading Russia militarily leading up to the war.

There’s also a more interesting version that says, “Look what they did in Iraq in 2003. The U.S. mounted unprovoked aggression on the country (and in fact, quite a lot of people argue that 2003 was an unlawful as well as an unjust war), so the US cannot criticize Russia for invading Ukraine.”

My response to this generally goes like this: yes, you are right, this was both unlawful and unjust, but even if this denies the United States and NATO the standing to criticize what Russia is doing, it doesn't follow that Russia is morally entitled to do what it does. Suppose that I commit an act of theft and you criticize me for an act of stealing, but I turn around and say that you did it yourself. All I've managed to show is that you are being hypocritical, I haven't managed to show that I am entitled to do this myself. That's the first point.

quote:

Suppose that you have someone, I'm going to call them Smith, a typical American or English name. Smith is about to murder an innocent person and he has no justification for doing so. And there is a bystander on the scene, let's call him Jones. He sees Smith is about to kill an innocent person and intervenes, prevents Smith, or tries to stop him. At that point, Smith says to Jones: “Jones, you are being completely hypocritical, you yourself killed someone last week!” Suppose that Smith is correct: Jones did do it. Now, the whataboutism view says that Jones is being hypocritical and is therefore not allowed to stop Smith from killing an innocent person. That seems very counterintuitive.

I fail to see intuitively why it provides Smith with a justification for killing someone, and I also fail to see why it deprives Jones of the permission and the right to protect this innocent person. Look at this from the point of view of the innocent person: they are going to die because Jones committed murder the week before. And that seems wrong.

loling at this bit

quote:

The second point is even if it’s true (and I think it is true, that the war in Iraq in 2003 was unjust), the regimes that authorized that war in the US and the United Kingdom are not the same regimes that operate there now. When we criticize a country for doing something or having done something in the past, we have to pay attention to who is in power at a particular point in time. I don’t want to deny that there is a good deal of hypocrisy in the West, but I do not see why that would enable Russian authorities to say that they are justified in trying to impose their own will on Ukraine by force of arms.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

In 2013, Ukraine
Export 24% to Russia
Import 30% from Russia

In 2021, Taiwan
Export 28% to mainland
Import 22% from mainland
SCMP

In 2022, Taiwan
Exports 42% to China
Imports 22% from China
DW

I think the difference between the last two is Hong Kong, but I'm not sure.
Not too big a difference, Russia Ukraine trade peaked a couple years before that.

Radically liberal maybe.

Eh...that is nearly double the percentage of exports, and Hong Kong absolutely should be included. Also, Ukraine isn't an island, and the PLAN can very clearly not only cut their trade with Taiwan but the rest of the world as well. It doesn't mean the DPP isn't suicidal, but it would be suicidal in a way that Taiwan and its chipmaking industry would completely collapse.

I would just say in general, Beijing has got far more leverage. It doesn't mean there will be a crisis (again), but it will be a crisis where they basically just need to hold a blockade.

I think the PRC knows all of this and has been building up to it practically since it was founded. They have made deals with OPEC and Russia precisely to secure their energy supply, and have been building the BNR and their own agricultural production in anticipation. If the US goes all in, it is going to be real ugly for everyone in the West who doesn't have their own house servants.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Jun 7, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

alot of pro russian accounts online are jerking off about how its time russia blew up the kiev dam,

https://twitter.com/PeterZeihan/status/1666023553970450435

actually since it's impossible to destroy a dam from the outside, then Putin couldn't possibly blow up the Kiev dam, even if he wanted to

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

alot of pro russian accounts online are jerking off about how its time russia blew up the kiev dam, i think at this point theyre fooling themselves if they think putin would respond in that way given how hes failed to knock out any major infrastructure up until now even when it actively wouldve benefited his war aims.

Vladimir Putin is a humanitarian.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Ardennes posted:

The issue is that they are taking substantive losses on multiple fronts, and if this isn't the "big offensive" then they already chewed up a good portion of the forces they would need for it. We know AMX 10s were on the ground.

In addition, they have been successive assaults that haven't gone anywhere either on other fronts including in the north, Soledar, and around Bakhmut. It is alot of men and material to throw away if you are just waiting. They still have tanks but I actually don't think the small number of Leopards and Challangers they may or may have is really that significant if they are draining the rest of the force away.

IIRC from a month or so back the consensus here was that the counteroffensive was going to do exactly this, throw a bunch of guys forward to get blown up on the russian defense lines, so this isn't particularly surprising, but its quite grim and sad that it seems like they didn't even get through the first layer of defences and are just getting blown up straight away

and the whole (stupid) idea behind the counteroffensive was supposed to be to keep western support going through propaganda and even that isn't happening now

even accepting the ukrainian side's flawed logic, this whole counteroffensive makes zero sense from their point of view

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Eh...that is nearly double the percentage of exports, and Hong Kong absolutely should be included. Also, Ukraine isn't an island, and the PLAN can very clearly not only cut their trade with Taiwan but the rest of the world as well. It doesn't mean the DPP isn't suicidal, but it would be suicidal in a way that Taiwan and its chipmaking industry would completely collapse.

It is a stronger reason not to have a war, but the high level of trade between Russia and Ukraine was still a strong reason and it wasn't even a speed bump. It is doubtful to me that whoever is calling the shots in Taiwan when poo poo goes down will be acting in Taiwan's interest. If America succeeds here it will be more subtle than just arming nazis but I think just because it is not obvious how they will try and force the split doesn't mean it will not be successful.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

aaron ruparted

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ukraine has not been good for the US, i think they'd be out of there if it wouldn't look bad pre-election.

by "abandon" i mean the focus will shift, they may still do some low level bullshit

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

do dams just absorb missiles and artillery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
depends on the dam and the missiles/artillery and exactly where they hit. im not sure how many, if any, direct hits the dam structure ever actually had from what caliber of artillery but generally reinforced concrete can hold up pretty well against run of the mill HE in run of the mill calibers. I'm pretty sure.

missiles and especially munitions that are purposebuilt to gently caress up reinforced concrete could and have popped dams. artillery probably could if it was just allowed to fire on it for ages and eventually compromise the structure enough. i imagine it'd be awhile though? an extremely unrealistically long while, i mean

still anything can decrease the integrity of the dam and make it more susceptible to failure from water pressure. engineers inspecting the dam would know whether or not that was the case. we can't.