Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They should have put a commbadge and wheels on a potted plant and used it as a background extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Farscape had sentient plants, so Star Trek is already behind the curve.

Edit: Huh. I guess they're a thing in TAS and LD makes a reference to them.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 7, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

For Morn, it's not that I see him in Quark's a lot. I mean specifically, he's a background character walking around the promenade on a loop with the other extras. Him being a barfly and in shots at Quark's is fine and we've already established that about his character by the end of season 1. My point is more that as a random alien extra walking around the promenade, it wouldn't be so obvious that it was the same dude walking in the same direction in SD, but in HD he's clearly on a track and in the scene because they want the promenade to look diverse and lively.
Maybe you're just racist and think all Lurians look the same?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Quark isn't a Worf, but he is a true believer; the kind of guy who embarrasses everyone because he bought in on the grift 100% while everyone else is mouthing along for the $. He's got his copy of the Art of the Deal enshrined above his bed and screws over his employees so that he can invest as much as possible in timeshares.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Farscape had sentient plants, so Star Trek is already behind the curve.

Edit: Huh. I guess they're a thing in TAS and LD makes a reference to them.

Bashir and O'Brien make a reference to one as well, which the LD reference is a callback to

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a crew member on DS9 that gets mentioned a few times as budding.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Knormal posted:

Maybe you're just racist and think all Lurians look the same?

I think they're usually supposed to have hair though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

they do change odo's makeup at some point, although i don't remember when exactly. you get used to it, and the later iterations look better

The big change with Odo's look is when he gets the turtleneck permanently at the beginning of the third season. (Previously, he only had it in Crossover, in season 2, but Auberjonois requested the change.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Technowolf posted:

Is this the Ferengi version of phrenology?

Oh, don't get Ferengi started talking about lobes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yooo someone itt talking poo poo about Morn?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Season 2 opens with the strongest episode of the series so far. O'Brien with a phaser is loving solid poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The opening arc in S2 of DS9 might not be the strongest arc in the show's run but it is kind of a preamble to the sorts of things Ira Behr and co figured the show did really well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Discussion of Morn will lure you in

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

That character derails any episode with those never-ending stories and non-sequitur jokes, they should cut his monologues out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mmmm but that voice is pure liquid latinum

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I think they're usually supposed to have hair though.

They should've had him wear different wigs between loops imo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to think Morn didn't just have hair but a magnificent mane. Young Morn looked like Lobo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Main Man Morn

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

...And today I learned that the official Germanese dub didn't get the memo and gave Morn an actual line that was implied but unheard in the original version.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

...And today I learned that the official Germanese dub didn't get the memo and gave Morn an actual line that was implied but unheard in the original version.

germanese? is that what stefani germanotta speaks natively?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Quark isn't a Worf, but he is a true believer; the kind of guy who embarrasses everyone because he bought in on the grift 100% while everyone else is mouthing along for the $. He's got his copy of the Art of the Deal enshrined above his bed and screws over his employees so that he can invest as much as possible in timeshares.

So he's more of a Martok then?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

germanese? is that what stefani germanotta speaks natively?

Well, German. But yeah, German dub of DS9 gives Morn one audible line in the lines of "So much for that…" in episode S2E26 according to Memory Alpha.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It does *sound* kinda Mornful

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Solid first two episodes of the second season, and I'm excited to watch episode 3 tonight after work to hopefully wrap up this little civil war. If this is what I have to look forward to for the next 6 seasons, I'm a happy camper.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Solid first two episodes of the second season, and I'm excited to watch episode 3 tonight after work to hopefully wrap up this little civil war. If this is what I have to look forward to for the next 6 seasons, I'm a happy camper.

The Circle trilogy is not the best DS9 multiparter (you could even argue it's the worst), but it works on such a fundamental level that you totally get why everyone looked at it and said, "hey, we can do this a lot more, and lean on our recurring characters instead of highlighting one-offs," and that's the one major piece of DS9's structure that season 1 didn't have yet.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

There's an episode where they mention Quark's dad not having the lobes for business, makes sense that he'd go all in on ferengi ideology, little did he know he got it from his mom

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

disaster pastor posted:

The Circle trilogy is not the best DS9 multiparter (you could even argue it's the worst), but it works on such a fundamental level that you totally get why everyone looked at it and said, "hey, we can do this a lot more, and lean on our recurring characters instead of highlighting one-offs," and that's the one major piece of DS9's structure that season 1 didn't have yet.

It's not perfect, but my complaints are basically quibbles. Like if you put Li Nalas next to Vedek Bareil in casual clothes, I don't think I could tell them apart. They are the two most dour men I have ever seen in a TV show. You get the impression that neither really wants to be there, and I don't really mean the characters, but the actors on set. I assume this has something to do with the direction they want to take Bajoran men and their characterization. Jaro also has a certain dourness to him, but he feels far more distinct than Bareil and Nalas do, like the actor has a clearer idea of what the purpose of his characterization is.

Also this show is so weirdly horny. What was up with that 90s TV?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

Frank Langella is great in it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gaz-L posted:

Or, put another way, he's Worf.

Come to Quark's, Quark is Worf...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

It's just Armin Shimerman in his normal Quark makeup but he's wearing a fake Klingon forehead and Worf's bandolier.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

It's just Armin Shimerman in his normal Quark makeup but he's wearing a fake Klingon forehead and Worf's bandolier.

GLORY TO YOU, AND YOUR BEVERAGE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Quark should’ve been in on the going undercover as Klingons mission.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
perhaps today is a good day to dine

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Quark should’ve been in on the going undercover as Klingons mission.

House of Quark, but Quark is just a full on Klingon for its runtime.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Gazpacho soup.

A dish best served ... cold.

Once. ONCE. A man asked me to take away his soup and bring it back hot.

I killed him where he stood.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the honor is to serve... appetizers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
How much faster would Gowron be dead on the floor in a pool of his own blood if Quark were Worf? Serious answers only,

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love the ending of the episode where Grilka goes to DS9 where Quark's in the infirmary being repaired after a very violent night of lovemaking while she's doting over what's left of him and then Dax and Worf show up with their own injuries and Bashir's just like "I'm going to stop asking questions because the answers are frankly upsetting..." Also Dax having Worf's sash loosely hanging off of one shoulder and half of Worf's hair being loose really sells the gag.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's not perfect, but my complaints are basically quibbles. Like if you put Li Nalas next to Vedek Bareil in casual clothes, I don't think I could tell them apart. They are the two most dour men I have ever seen in a TV show. You get the impression that neither really wants to be there, and I don't really mean the characters, but the actors on set. I assume this has something to do with the direction they want to take Bajoran men and their characterization. Jaro also has a certain dourness to him, but he feels far more distinct than Bareil and Nalas do, like the actor has a clearer idea of what the purpose of his characterization is.

The thread title was once "He puts the beige in Bajor" in reference to Bareil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

The thread title was once "He puts the beige in Bajor" in reference to Bareil.

I always wonder with retro watches like this if the viewer (me in this case) is going to land the hammer on the head of some controversial nail or in-joke that fans have discussed to death for ages. I'm glad in this case, it's an in-joke and not some highly controversial point about the subtle portrayal of the characters.