Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ranter posted:

But the 2 'Indian Chinese' places I've been to thus far haven't made use of mala.

I wouldn't expect them to unless it's a recent innovation. Most of the overseas Chinese cuisines originated with the early emigration out of China, which was almost entirely from Guangdong and Fujian. Sichuanese didn't start emigrating in notable numbers until the later 20th century.

Sichuan food is also not particularly hot, it uses a lot of chilies but they're pretty mild. If you want food that's going to make you regret it you want to look for Hunan or Guizhou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something something people from guizhou like their Spice, sichuan people don't fear Spice, and people from hunan fear that there is no Spice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

I wouldn't expect them to unless it's a recent innovation.
Except that there's a peppercorn related to the Sichuan peppercorn which is used in some Indian cuisines! See here for a little bit of info.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got a packet of douchi, the same one from here (but I’m pretty sure I got it from Hmart).

There’s an expiration date on the packet, but will it go bad? I’m thinking since they’re salted and preserved it should be fine. It’s unopened and vacuum sealed inside the plastic bag, and the date is like a year ago.

The Mala market people say it’s a different style from Cantonese types. How different would it be for tofu with black bean?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So what is it about Mexican food and Chinese food that goes well together? I knew my favorite noodle joint was popular with Latinos, to the point that the Teochew/Vietnamese waitstaff also speaks enough Spanish to take orders, but never really considered why.

Both cultures really appreciate hot and sour flavors?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Eeyo posted:

I got a packet of douchi, the same one from here (but I’m pretty sure I got it from Hmart).

There’s an expiration date on the packet, but will it go bad? I’m thinking since they’re salted and preserved it should be fine. It’s unopened and vacuum sealed inside the plastic bag, and the date is like a year ago.

The Mala market people say it’s a different style from Cantonese types. How different would it be for tofu with black bean?

It will not go bad unless there's fuzz.

The Cantonese style are a little different but practically they're interchangeable. You're often advised to soak Cantonese douchi before using it, you don't have to do that with Sichuan.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Except that there's a peppercorn related to the Sichuan peppercorn which is used in some Indian cuisines! See here for a little bit of info.

Interesting. They're used in Korea/Japan/Mongolia too. Still, I wouldn't call it mala if it's not Sichuan. Mala's the specific combo of Sichuan pepper and Sichuanese chilies, which particularly chaotianjiao/zidantou have a specific aromatic quality that you can't substitute for.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 6, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Interesting. They're used in Korea/Japan/Mongolia too. Still, I wouldn't call it mala if it's not Sichuan. Mala's the specific combo of Sichuan pepper and Sichuanese chilies, which particularly chaotianjiao/zidantou have a specific aromatic quality that you can't substitute for.
The zanthoxylum species whose fruit is normally used in Japan is slightly different from the ones that are commonly used in Chinese cooking I think, so if you are referring to Japanese sansho, it's slightly arguable whether it can be described as sichuan peppercorn

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mystes posted:

The zanthoxylum species whose fruit is normally used in Japan is slightly different from the ones that are commonly used in Chinese cooking I think

So is the Korean one, but they're all very similar. Sansho is the most different, you could sub sansho for Sichuan but the other way wouldn't work very well. Though green Sichuan is closer to sansho than red. Also sansho leaves are used a lot and I never saw that in Sichuan, not sure if it's just not a thing or the Sichuan leaves are uninteresting.

Like they're similar enough they pollenate each other, before mine died (:rip:) I had a male sansho and female Sichuan tree.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 6, 2023

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So what is it about Mexican food and Chinese food that goes well together? I knew my favorite noodle joint was popular with Latinos, to the point that the Teochew/Vietnamese waitstaff also speaks enough Spanish to take orders, but never really considered why.

Lots of “green” used in the dishes, cilantro, peppers, and being in warmer areas, appreciation with faster fermented dishes. Also a bigger appreciation or consumption of fruits in Central America/Mexico compared to your typical European based palate.

But north east Chinese cuisine is really alien to me; it’s more similar to continental cold European food with hearty stews, lots of beer, and good control of wheat/flour.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm thinking of like stir-fried veggies/meat in a burrito, that sounds tasty in my mind.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Those things are all correct. Also, a love of pork, heavy use of garlic and onion, cumin featuring heavily in Northwest cooking helps also. Proclivity for sour/spicy as flavoring elements. I dunno it just works. If you grow up eating tortillas it makes sense to put leftover Chinese in a burrito, and menudo works good with chiangkung vinegar and stir fried greens on top. And like, Szechuan style datoucai is super awesome on chilaquiles.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

The zanthoxylum species whose fruit is normally used in Japan is slightly different from the ones that are commonly used in Chinese cooking I think, so if you are referring to Japanese sansho, it's slightly arguable whether it can be described as sichuan peppercorn

in kyoto, i had a sansho version of mapo tofu. its very different, i dont think it made a good sub for sichuan peppercorns at all

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Japanese Chinese food is just loving sad

Especially 百麻婆豆腐

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Not if you count ramen and gyoza, which you should.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Gyoza, sure, but ramen is its own thing at this point. As far as I know, there is no Japanese ramen that uses the standard Chinese pork and chicken broth.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah but Tan Tan Ramen slaps though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Dan Dan ramen is always interesting to me cuz while it’s good it bears 0 resemblance to Dan Dan mian. I had no idea they were supposed to be related

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ailumao posted:

Dan Dan ramen is always interesting to me cuz while it’s good it bears 0 resemblance to Dan Dan mian. I had no idea they were supposed to be related
Isn't it basically just dan dan noodles with the sauce turned into a broth?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

i dont know. ive not heard of dan dan ramen before

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

thank you amazon product question answerer

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

maybe you can have a try

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

mystes posted:

If you're talking about Tan Tan Men, it's basically it's own sauce entirely. The thing they have most in common is that both dishes make use of sesame paste for the sauce. I have no idea how accurate this recipe is, but here's an example:

https://thewoksoflife.com/tan-tan-ramen/

Fun fact: getting tired of Japanese Chinese food (which is often fine) and missing Sichuan food is why I came into this thread to learn how to cook Chinese food well in the first place.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Japanese Chinese food is by far the worst Chinese food I’ve had. Indian Chinese food? American Chinese food? British Chinese food? All their own things and all pretty fine. Japanese Chinese food just seems like terribad Chinese food

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Japanese ma po doufu is a travesty.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Indian Chinese food, like Hakka stuff, is pretty ballin. There was some Youtuber who did a video on Peruvian too which I want to try at some point.

Edit: Found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clAO-gMdE2o

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ailumao posted:

Japanese Chinese food is by far the worst Chinese food I’ve had. Indian Chinese food? American Chinese food? British Chinese food? All their own things and all pretty fine. Japanese Chinese food just seems like terribad Chinese food

Yeah pretty much.

Heck I’ll take American Chinese food over Japanese Chinese food.

there’s actually a really good dongbei restaurant in Tokyo which is pretty much better than most of the stuff I find in southern China.

I think Japan is actually at a spice cross roads and catching up to the global palate or rising spice tolerance. There’s enough immigrants and a continuing stream of Chinese immigrants in Japan to sustain different regions of Cantonese cuisine.

My only gripe is the lack of 15+ years of yellow wine in japan and drink it hot mixed with red sugar. Ugh gross

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
And let me repeat 白摩婆豆腐 is loving gross

tofu seasoned with….. white pepper

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wonton posted:

Japanese Chinese food is just loving sad

Especially 百麻婆豆腐

Wonton posted:

And let me repeat 白摩婆豆腐 is loving gross

tofu seasoned with….. white pepper
Are you trying to say "白麻婆豆腐"? You said "百" (one hundred rather than white) in the first post and "摩" in the second

It doesn't seem like that usually has white pepper in it though

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It seems baffling to me that Japanese mapo tofu can be bad when it looks so amazing in anime?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Freaking auto correct. 白麻婆豆腐

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wonton posted:

Freaking auto correct. 白麻婆豆腐

dont blame autocorrect. just own up to having poor writing skills in every language

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

It seems baffling to me that Japanese mapo tofu can be bad when it looks so amazing in anime?

Somebody once told me that the Japanese palate can be summed up by five flavors: soy sauce, mirin, salt, sugar, and dashi. And that most Japanese cooking is a function of those five ingredients, just in different proportions.

Which is fine, that's what you go eat Japanese food for, but, y'know. When EVERYTHING gets focused through that lens, you lose something.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Somebody once told me that the Japanese palate can be summed up by five flavors: soy sauce, mirin, salt, sugar, and dashi. And that most Japanese cooking is a function of those five ingredients, just in different proportions.

Which is fine, that's what you go eat Japanese food for, but, y'know. When EVERYTHING gets focused through that lens, you lose something.

idk man a lot of japanese food ive had also used like, rice, pork, fish, etc

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Then you also probably know how much Japan also cares about removing the smell from every and all animal protein consumed.

I'm not too critical on them for the five flavors thing, though. My cultural Vietnamese cuisine might also be summed up by fish sauce, salt, sugar, citrus, and cilantro, and that will cover you from everything from pho to anything that can use nuoc cham as a dip or poured over. (FWIW, ethnically, I am a Teochew-Vietnamese mutt whose parents and grandparents were also Teochew-Vietnamese mutts.)

It's just that China is so fuckin' huge that we need to think of it in terms of regions and subregions and the "five flavors" thing doesn't apply to the country homogenously.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 8, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the four basic food groups of chinese cuisine: pork fried rice, egg rolls, deep fried battered chicken with sauce, heavily salted fried noodles

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

fart simpson posted:

the four basic food groups of chinese cuisine: pork fried rice, egg rolls, deep fried battered chicken with sauce, heavily salted fried noodles

GTFO 😤

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fart simpson posted:

Hey, where's my fortune cookie?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SubG posted:

Hey, where's my fortune cookie?

The only fortunes now are bad ones. :ohdear:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean maybe but when I look at what authentic sichuan mapo tofu looks like in cooking videos and what I make myself and then look at like, the mapo tofu scenes in Food Wars or Heaven's Feel they look accounting for art style basically identical? I'm not sure how the flavours can be radically different. Are the recipes actually different?

Like to be clear anime isn't real life but if it looks the same across virtually every depiction in Japanese animated media I think it isn't unreasonable to think that's maybe the version of mapo tofu the animators are used to when they eat Chinese food; so either they're going out of their way for authentic chinese food in Tokyo or wherever they're located or mapo tofu in Japan is probably not that bad and maybe its just bad luck?

I know sure as hell in Montreal and Ottawa I've yet to find a good dish of mapo tofu that looks like the authentic version.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean maybe but when I look at what authentic sichuan mapo tofu looks like in cooking videos and what I make myself and then look at like, the mapo tofu scenes in Food Wars or Heaven's Feel they look accounting for art style basically identical? I'm not sure how the flavours can be radically different. Are the recipes actually different?

Like to be clear anime isn't real life but if it looks the same across virtually every depiction in Japanese animated media I think it isn't unreasonable to think that's maybe the version of mapo tofu the animators are used to when they eat Chinese food; so either they're going out of their way for authentic chinese food in Tokyo or wherever they're located or mapo tofu in Japan is probably not that bad and maybe its just bad luck?

I know sure as hell in Montreal and Ottawa I've yet to find a good dish of mapo tofu that looks like the authentic version.
Japanese mapo tofu typically has essentially zero spiciness and it may have some other weird stuff added sometimes