Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Somewhere in here Punk also started verbally slapfighting with Moxley, which led to a story about Mox trying to pitch an angle to Punk based on the Rocky movies and Punk saying he's never seen any of those

Punk does feel like a "I don't even own a TV :smugdog:" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Punk is a massive comic book nerd, there is no way that he isn't aware of most things that massive comic book nerds know. He's also a massive troll, and he is completely in the right to troll people who would get upset when he says he hasn't seen any Rocky movies.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BooDooBoo posted:

Jarrett is, and it hurts me to say this, pretty good on AEW. He's not the "King of the mountain", he's just an old man on his "last run" who is also getting younger people over.

Something kind of surprising with AEW is how they keep bringing in guys who I'm really not interested in seeing and they make it work.

I was indifferent to Billy Gunn, but they absolutely revitalized his career as Daddy rear end. Christian Cage felt like such a wet fart of an announced signing, but he had some great matches and has been the perfect rear end in a top hat heel. I audibly groaned when Jeff Jarrett showed up, but he's been entertaining, has never gone further than contender, has helped the company backstage, and is a perfect choice to win the Owen tournament this year. Big Bill has never looked better.

Jeff Hardy... well, he's at least in the background of Matt's current storyline.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Something kind of surprising with AEW is how they keep bringing in guys who I'm really not interested in seeing and they make it work.

Hell, even outside the ring, I was real real worried about Taz coming in to commentate, but now look! We miss the Taz and Ex Podcast Hour!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

harperdc posted:

Hell, even outside the ring, I was real real worried about Taz coming in to commentate, but now look! We miss the Taz and Ex Podcast Hour!

I was surprised to see Taz show up as guest commentary on an early Dark, and even more surprised by how much fun he was having. Little did I know how much more fun insane-at-3am pandemic Taz would be.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Gavok posted:

I audibly groaned when Jeff Jarrett showed up, but he's been entertaining, has never gone further than contender, has helped the company backstage, and is a perfect choice to win the Owen tournament this year.

I hadn't even thought of that, it'd be perfect, you're right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6a1-qb5uw&t=286s

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Punk once said that he stole the "slicked back hair" look from Regarding Henry, so there's like no way that he knows that movie and doesn't even know Rocky from cultural osmosis. Nerd.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

vince took his 90s to 2007 look from there too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Punk once said that he stole the "slicked back hair" look from Regarding Henry, so there's like no way that he knows that movie and doesn't even know Rocky from cultural osmosis. Nerd.

I just assumed he was taking Mike Patton's look

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

Jeff Jarrett showed up, but he's been entertaining, has never gone further than contender, has helped the company backstage, and is a perfect choice to win the Owen tournament this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

EdsTeioh posted:

i have watched some movies, but not any of the rocky movies, so i think it's possible. the only cultural osmosis i've encountered re: rocky is there's someone named adrian and there's a russian. using a slab of frozen meat as a punching bag. that's it.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the 1st rocky movie is actually an incredible film, its very underrated

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i have watched some movies, but not any of the rocky movies, so i think it's possible. the only cultural osmosis i've encountered re: rocky is there's someone named adrian and there's a russian. using a slab of frozen meat as a punching bag. that's it.

they're pretty good tbh. the first one's great and eventually there's a robot butler.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the worst Rocky movie is better than the best punk match tbh

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

i can think of few stories more suitable to a wrestling fan than "total idiot, whose one thing is that he's good at getting the poo poo kicked out of him, makes it work, basically, for awhile"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the 1st rocky movie is actually an incredible film, its very underrated

First Rocky and first Rambo are both legit great movies and only slightly resembling what came after.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thats a very cynical goon view on Rocky. He doesnt even win in the first movie. The appeal of Rocky is the same as the appeal of watching a babyface: it's about getting knocked down and getting back up.

Edit: I was replying to Gambit, not Grendel

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
They need to cgi a rubber duck into the ring after he loses to gain today's casual fan

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

thats a very cynical goon view on Rocky. He doesnt even win in the first movie. The appeal of Rocky is the same as the appeal of watching a babyface: it's about getting knocked down and getting back up.

Edit: I was replying to Gambit, not Grendel

i just wanted it to sound like wrestling. i dunno. I'm good at stuff.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Grendels Dad posted:

Punk is a massive comic book nerd, there is no way that he isn't aware of most things that massive comic book nerds know. He's also a massive troll, and he is completely in the right to troll people who would get upset when he says he hasn't seen any Rocky movies.

He literally wrote a Drax the Destroyer comic!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

His straight edge rear end even wrote a story about Thor having a drinking contest with Mephisto.

Punk made an Instagram post where he put Danhausen’s face over everyone (besides the House of Black) on the Collusion poster. Over MJF’s face was Batman from Dark Knight Returns. I realized that’s how Punk is viewing this run. Just waiting for the “This isn’t a wrestling ring, it’s an operating table. And I’m the surgeon.” promo.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Rocky 3 is the peak of american movies it's all (ALL) downhill!!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Clubber Lang all the way

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hot take: all the Rocky movies are good. Yes, even the silly totally-rad one where Rocky beats up communism and the one everybody hates where there's no boxing match but instead Rocky fueds with not Don King.

The best ones are Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa (2008). It's a rare thing when a franchise has 6 entries and even the worst of them is still decent, just not quite as good as the other ones.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what does each wrestler think about the rocky film franchise?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

titties posted:

Hot take: all the Rocky movies are good. Yes, even the silly totally-rad one where Rocky beats up communism and the one everybody hates where there's no boxing match but instead Rocky fueds with not Don King.

The best ones are Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa (2008). It's a rare thing when a franchise has 6 entries and even the worst of them is still decent, just not quite as good as the other ones.

And if you count Creed, then it stretches by... what, two more movies?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Only Creed 1 and 2 count, 3 doesnt with how they hosed over my boy Sly

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dawgstar posted:

And if you count Creed, then it stretches by... what, two more movies?

Three movies, and they all own.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

also iirc the robot was there because Stallone wanted to spend more time with his son who had autism so he wrote him into Rocky IV and the robot's irl use was as a treatment to help his son so they just added it to the movie to help him on set

https://www.cbr.com/movie-legends-revealed-why-the-heck-was-there-a-talking-robot-in-rocky-iv/

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 7, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

that's cool as poo poo and i already loved the robot. sly is the best

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

also iirc the robot was there because Stallone wanted to spend more time with his autistic son so he wrote him into Rocky IV and the robot's irl use was as a treatment to help his son so they just added it to the movie to help him on set

https://www.cbr.com/movie-legends-revealed-why-the-heck-was-there-a-talking-robot-in-rocky-iv/

ftfy, autistic people generally don't like person-first language, thanks

anyway, that's really cool about the robot

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

What do you mean he's never seen any Rocky movies. That son of a bitch, why I oughta! :argh:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Venomous posted:

ftfy, autistic people generally don't like person-first language, thanks

anyway, that's really cool about the robot

im autistic and idk what the gently caress you are talking about

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Same

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

when Autism Speaks etc. say 'person with autism' instead of 'autistic person', they're intentionally denying autistic people's identities, like autism is a disease, even though autism isn't a disease, and you can't cure autism like you can cure smallpox or whatever

so when you're saying 'his son who had autism' instead of 'his autistic son', you are (albeit unintentionally) doing the same kind of thing, denying his son's agency as an autistic person

not having a go at you, just a heads up from one autistic person to another

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That seems like a stretch to me

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Venomous posted:

when Autism Speaks etc. say 'person with autism' instead of 'autistic person', they're intentionally denying autistic people's identities, like autism is a disease, even though autism isn't a disease, and you can't cure autism like you can cure smallpox or whatever

so when you're saying 'his son who had autism' instead of 'his autistic son', you are (albeit unintentionally) doing the same kind of thing, denying his son's agency as an autistic person

not having a go at you, just a heads up from one autistic person to another

why would i care if someone calls me a person with autism. i AM a person with autism. it dont mean its a disease. if im wearing a hat should i be called "a hatted person" instead of "a person with a hat"?

As Brock Lesnar once said to Mustafa Ali: GET A LIFE!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Wtf

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Shard posted:

That seems like a stretch to me

doesn't really matter, just saying that identity-first language is preferred in autistic communities

anyway this has nothing to do with wrestling so w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

THE AUTISTIC COMMUNITY??!