Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
direct action also gets the goods right back, or destroys them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

Almost no one I know thinks they're in a good situation, and most people I know are in some form of middle to upper middle class. Even people who are relatively stable still fear a recession probably because, y'know, Biden's administration has been gunning for one the whole time but I guess we're just going to gloss over that.

I feel like that survey must have some sort of weird bias built in. Either that or most people have strange ways of defining their own financial well-being.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like that survey must have some sort of weird bias built in. Either that or most people have strange ways of defining their own financial well-being.

people (americans?) don’t like admitting they are or feel poor because we are raised to associate it with shame

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

They're probably just not surveying the poor and homeless.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Shageletic posted:

TNC isn't interested in solutions, which would entail cross racial alliances, but just whinging about the impossibility and guilt tripping to a satisfactory end for his white lib bosses

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vomik posted:

people (americans?) don’t like admitting they are or feel poor because we are raised to associate it with shame

it's this

but also lmao if you think the poor have time to answer a loving survey

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

"but we called when anyone with a stable 9-5 job would be at home :dumb:"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the idea that I'm gonna:
1. answer my phone
2. from a number I don't know
3. during the hours of 9-5
4. for an indefinitely long conversation where I have to answer dumbass questions???
is insane. the only people giving information to pollsters are the most deranged people in the country.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the idea that I'm gonna:
1. answer my phone
4. for an indefinitely long conversation where I have to answer dumbass questions???
is insane. the only people giving information to pollsters are the most deranged people in the country.

Answering pollsters is direct action

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Which, to be clear, gets the goods

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Half the time when you actually take the poll and get to the end the last question is "and what is your social security number" and guess what, it was another scammer the whole time

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

the idea that I'm gonna:
1. answer my phone
im just happy for someone to talk to

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I answer every phone call right now cause I'm looking for work, and there's a very noticeable delay when you pick up a spam or poll call. Like you pick up, say hello, hear a click, and then 4-5 seconds later someone tries to scam or poll you. Anyone who waits through those 4-5 seconds without hanging up is a psycho, not to be trusted.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
most recent one was a confirmed psycho in my case. some rear end in a top hat called for me to donate to cops in nevada.

i don't and have never lived in nevada (???) as though that would change how i responded.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yeah there's gonna be a significant factor of self selection for any sort of telephone survey because anyone poor just associates unknown numbers with bill collectors

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/tpgrypzjd/status/1666406397443964928

NYT posted:

Mr. Buttigieg talked with Mr. Biden and former President Barack Obama on Sunday night, according to a Democratic official familiar with the conversations. Mr. Biden asked for Mr. Buttigieg’s support and the former mayor indicated he would consider the request. Mr. Buttigieg wants to sleep on the decision, he told aides, some of whom believe he should move quickly to endorse Mr. Biden. Mr. Obama did not specifically encourage Mr. Buttigieg to endorse Mr. Biden, said the official, who insisted on anonymity to discuss private conversations. But Mr. Obama did note that Mr. Buttigieg has considerable leverage at the moment and should think about how best to use it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/us/politics/pete-buttigieg-drops-out.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1147471

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loling/crying that this is considered a conspiracy theory in the other place

lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

obama DID NOT break a strike

*adviser whispers in ear*

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

lmao

There is a reasonable possibility that Obama used Skype or Facetime or some other form of communication technology other than the telephone so we at PolitiTruFacts give this 3.8 million Pinnochios.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

docbeard posted:

There is a reasonable possibility that Obama used Skype or Facetime or some other form of communication technology other than the telephone so we at PolitiTruFacts give this 3.8 million Pinnochios.

As I've explained so many loving times before, Skype is fully capable of making voice-only calls over the PSTN. If the mods would do their loving jobs and punish bad faith rehashings of false information, I wouldn't have to explain this over and over again.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I just filled out a survey for the nyc health department but that’s cause they taped a $5 bill to the letter and promised $20 more if I filled it out. pollsters could learn from the great city of new york

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lib and let die posted:

lmao

It has to be a conspiracy theory, or else the narrative that everyone was clamoring for Joementum falls apart like the blatant lie it is.

The primaries were as pure as the driven snow and absolutely nothing underhanded happened, Joe won a crushing victory through completely organic means.

And even if he didn't, pointing out all of the evidence that he and the DNC cheated is just sour grapes and proof that you shouldn't win if you can't overcome the people who literally make the rules and dictate the winner.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Equally ignored is that Bill Clinton definitely talked Donald Trump into running for president because he thought it would be an easier match for Hillary.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

a lib friend of a friend told me unironically, that the US has the best healthcare in the world, and things have only gotten better since the ACA came out.

i couldnt even muster up a 'yeah ok' to that, just looked with a blank expression

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Blockade posted:

a lib friend of a friend told me unironically, that the US has the best healthcare in the world, and things have only gotten better since the ACA came out.

i couldnt even muster up a 'yeah ok' to that, just looked with a blank expression

like, even if you you just take both of those statements at face value, how the gently caress could you continue to believe they were both true after Covid? after you have seen it laid threadbare before you, how can you continue to deny that it sucks?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
even if I don't agree with the "joe biden sucks but he's the only option" people, I understand them so much more than people who legitimately delude themselves into thinking that dems are good

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

even if I don't agree with the "joe biden sucks but he's the only option" people, I understand them so much more than people who legitimately delude themselves into thinking that dems are good

Yeah, I mean, it's not even them brainwashing themselves into "Joe Biden is a competent enough center-right Democrat president", it's got to be "He is the greatest, most progressive leader in all of human history" or I guess the Russians win?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cornel West sucks but he's the only option

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Cornel West sucks but he's the only option

a wise woman once said, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gradenko_2000 posted:

a wise woman once said, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Yeah, but that only applies to voting for Democrats. You have to bite the bullet and settle for them.
You're only allowed to vote third party if they are the mythical political unicorn, and even then you're not allowed to unless you live in a deep blue state, and even then not really you should vote for the Dem just to be safe.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

most recent one was a confirmed psycho in my case. some rear end in a top hat called for me to donate to cops in nevada.

i don't and have never lived in nevada (???) as though that would change how i responded.

I get that one all the god damned time

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i love the cop fundraising scam calls because holy hell did they pick the wrong person to call

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

like, even if you you just take both of those statements at face value, how the gently caress could you continue to believe they were both true after Covid? after you have seen it laid threadbare before you, how can you continue to deny that it sucks?

a lot of what's wrong with our h/c system was papered over during the pandemic.

single-payer without means-testing? hell yeah.

free testing, diagnosis & treatment? hell yeah.

get paid while being sick instead of dragging your rear end to work? hell yeah.

expanded unemployment if you got fired for being too sick to work? hell yeah.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I wonder if CNN is losing relevancy because their top talent aided and covered in his brother's sexual abuse scandal and crafted an easily disputable narrative about that governor's COVID response that actually ended up killing a ton of grandmas?

No, it was the Trump town hall.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On that same note: I don't understand how you could come out of the Trump era or from covid still thinking that the American system was cool and good and just needed tweaking/better people running our sacred institutions for us to reach perfection. It's delusional.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I still can't get a lib to tell me what was wrong with the trump town hall other than it was a trump town hall & the audience liked him.

Collins was about as stern with him as she could be, even switching the subject right after correcting him on something. I even dug up the transcript when libs were telling me how soft she was but they couldn't point out where she failed the network.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

it's weird seeing people freak out about the pga and the liv merger

"oh no, the moral sport of golf is being overtaken by saudis!"

meanwhile the masters just started allowing women members in 2012

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lib and let die posted:

I wonder if CNN is losing relevancy because their top talent aided and covered in his brother's sexual abuse scandal and crafted an easily disputable narrative about that governor's COVID response that actually ended up killing a ton of grandmas?

Reminds me of the Freep comments where they all crow about how Fox News is hemorrhaging viewers and is on the verge of death because they said something critical of Trump or failed to properly demonize a minority, except now it's "The failing CNN is dying and dead in the ground because they let the GAT DANGED CHEETO say something instead of tying him to a chair and letting Hillary beat him with a club."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I still can't get a lib to tell me what was wrong with the trump town hall other than it was a trump town hall & the audience liked him.

Collins was about as stern with him as she could be, even switching the subject right after correcting him on something. I even dug up the transcript when libs were telling me how soft she was but they couldn't point out where she failed the network.

CNN did a platforming. CNN did a no-growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

that is one theory but another is that people just don't like to watch cnn anymore because it sucks. like the actual content is just bad, people don't want to spend their time on it, and there is competition.