Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Well that sucks, but if that thing about pausing the movie bypasses the problem then that may be why I don’t see it anymore. I’m not sure I’ve ever watched a movie at home without pausing it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first entry in the Shin series is finally available on Blu-ray!

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1665840738637344768?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
That would go nicely next to my new Gunbuster blu-ray.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My Clear and Present Danger UHD came in. I defy you to name a 90s action/thriller that I wouldn't buy on UHD.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1666077802704130049

Hell yeah

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oh that's awesome! one of the few kids movies that my siblings were obsessed with that I aged out of but still really enjoyed even if they played and replayed it for months on end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea my sister is 4 years younger than me and growing up we didn't have a ton of stuff that we both could enjoy and Matilda was a staple. We had one of those little tv/vhs combos that we'd take along on long road trips and Matilda was always a go-to option.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Nice, my copy of the Arrow 4K release of The Lighthouse has been dispatched. Too bad I'll be down in London at the BFI Film on Film Festival when it's due to arrive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Carpet posted:

Nice, my copy of the Arrow 4K release of The Lighthouse has been dispatched. Too bad I'll be down in London at the BFI Film on Film Festival when it's due to arrive.

I was in there yesterday. Picked up the BFI A ghost story for Christmas Vol1 Blu-ray and the battle of Algiers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/floellaumbagabe/status/1666097321015410690?s=20

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Lol i saw that earlier, I never knew about the lads video before but I approve.

You can get a print of that art here btw

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the 4k player set up.

Good news, that copy of Dune I bought a while back was one of the good pressings, didn't freeze anywhere.

I have noticed something both with this player and the Blu Ray one I had hooked up to this TV before- I have motion smoothing of all kind turned off, I've double checked that (even turned a couple of things back on to see if there was some trick but no) but there is this very faint, subtle effect that's similar to watching, say, NTSC video on a PAL TV from back in the day. I notice it with camera pans or shots with a lot of smoke, like a slight wash in the movement. It's not the outright jerkiness you get with motion smoothing. And I haven't seen this on the Roku even watching UHD stuff (Amazon Prime had The Devil's Backbone in that.) Is this an actual thing or an artifact of film transfers (all three films where I noticed something were from the 80s) or just me getting used to how 4k looks?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Not sure what you're talking about without a visual. You have any kind of DNR on? That can affect things weirdly. Also, with all the options on TVs and players now, there could be some weird option turned on in a submenu on the player that's making poo poo look weird.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Check to see if your t.v. has like a "film mode" or "cinema mode" that it claims is supposed to be for movie watching. I had a similar effect going on and when I really looked into what the so called "film mode" was doing there was some motion smoothing involved so I turned it off. And that was a totally separate setting than the standalone motion smoothing setting which I of course had turned off already.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dune also has a very particular look to it so I’d try out some other discs if you haven’t already

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Dune also has a very particular look to it so I’d try out some other discs if you haven’t already

Yeah I’ve looked at all the picture settings and it’s possible what I’m seeing is more of the blur when someone or something moves.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Check to see if your t.v. has like a "film mode" or "cinema mode" that it claims is supposed to be for movie watching. I had a similar effect going on and when I really looked into what the so called "film mode" was doing there was some motion smoothing involved so I turned it off. And that was a totally separate setting than the standalone motion smoothing setting which I of course had turned off already.

My TV is constantly resetting my picture settings for seemingly no reason. The number of loving times I've had to turn off it's 4 or 5 different Natural Motion, Action Smoothing, Dynamic Contrast, Film Mode, etc. is absolutely infuriating.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mine too. a samsung?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nope, Roku TCL

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
You'll cowards don't even have an OLED.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mine’s a qled. i don’t know, i thought it looked great and i loved the matte screen.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I’ve looked at all the picture settings and it’s possible what I’m seeing is more of the blur when someone or something moves.

Lot of Warner discs on sale this week, so grab The Shining. The opening helicopter shots are like the best example of the format.

Also, Annihilation absolutely FUCKS on UHD.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Maxwell Lord posted:

You might want to check if your player is displaying movies at 24fps, and if your tv is recognizing it. Should be in the players video settings. Also, hopefully you're connecting the player to the tv directly and not running it through something else first, because it could be reducing the bitrate (apparently some Sony UHD players have this problem of switching into a lower bitrate passthru setting that needs to be turned off). If it isn't that, it might be that your particular TV has some ghosting issues with certain signals. Look up your TV model on rtings.com and it'll usually point out any visual issues with it.

One last thing is that it might be intrinsic to the movie itself. Usually those ghosting blurs are indicative of early shot on digital movies like Collaterial. I usually don't notice it on modern movies, tho.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I had issues where it looked like motion smoothing was triggered on my X700. You have to go into the video settings and toggle "24p Conversion" to Off.

It's a pain in the rear end and caused me months of confusion before I figured it out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

One last thing is that it might be intrinsic to the movie itself. Usually those ghosting blurs are indicative of early shot on digital movies like Collaterial. I usually don't notice it on modern movies, tho.

At least with Michael Mann's digital movies (I'm looking especially at you, Public Enemies), he has his DP ride the shutter angle/speed because he hates it when DPs take time to light and he just wants to go go go.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I had issues where it looked like motion smoothing was triggered on my X700. You have to go into the video settings and toggle "24p Conversion" to Off.

It's a pain in the rear end and caused me months of confusion before I figured it out.

Omg I need to check this, it would explain so much.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Nightmare Cinema posted:

THAT’S it, thank you. Must have been on the old player too and just never noticed it on the smaller TV.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vinegar Syndrome sent $5 coupons to emails (good through the 12th) if you want to get anything else over the next week for their Partners Only month

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1666886919593099264?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Will this help get The Onania Club released?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The new spiderverse steel book on best buy is listed as coming soon. Does that mean it sold out or has it not gone up for pre order yet?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Probably sold out. I was able to preorder it earlier this week

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

drat, I really love that cover.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It'll be available sporadically until the morning of release day (by morning i mean like 1:00 AM-ish). It will be available then to preorder. Best Buy always does this.

Source: Personal experience, and watching people on the blu-ray dot com forums go through this cycle dozens of times over

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Lot of Warner discs on sale this week, so grab The Shining. The opening helicopter shots are like the best example of the format.

Also, Annihilation absolutely FUCKS on UHD.

I watched the annihilation 4k yesterday and thought it looked a bit soft tbh. I remember it looking better on Netflix when i watched it years ago.

For Warner 4k disks, they seem to be on perpetual sale in Ireland, I regularly get 2 for €25 in Golden disks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Annihilation was one of those UHDs that wowed me back in 2018 because it was the first year I'd upgraded to a 4k/HDR t.v. and that whole thing was just such a novelty at the time. Since then I've seen a whole lot more films on UHD and Annihilation wouldn't be close to the top of my list for the format. Not that it looks bad, I think it looks very good, it's just not the same as watching something that was shot on film, which is where UHD really shines the most.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Annihilation was one of those UHDs that wowed me back in 2018 because it was the first year I'd upgraded to a 4k/HDR t.v. and that whole thing was just such a novelty at the time. Since then I've seen a whole lot more films on UHD and Annihilation wouldn't be close to the top of my list for the format. Not that it looks bad, I think it looks very good, it's just not the same as watching something that was shot on film, which is where UHD really shines the most.

I mostly disagree, if only because I think film grain can frequently look harsh and distracting in 4K in a way that never bothered me in any previous format. (It's possible that's just a set-up issue, though, since I bought my 4K player when I got my OLED.) Classic movies can look fantastic on 4K but it definitely requires a softer touch, while the stuff handled totally digitally from the last ~10 years almost always shines

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think your overall point is wrong, the classic stuff shot on film has to be handled properly or yea you can get that swarming grain effect which is detrimental. So yea as far as consistency, you kinda know what you're getting with a modern digital film on UHD. On the other hand, when you do get an older film into the right hands and it's done the right way, the results are on a whole different level.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think your overall point is wrong, the classic stuff shot on film has to be handled properly or yea you can get that swarming grain effect which is detrimental. So yea as far as consistency, you kinda know what you're getting with a modern digital film on UHD. On the other hand, when you do get an older film into the right hands and it's done the right way, the results are on a whole different level.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

4k really highlights the sins of modern SFX. I thought Annihilation and Alien Covenant looked fine in HD on my 42” TV when I first saw them. Watching them in UHD HDR makes the CGI insufferable, and it retroactively dismantled my fond memories of Blade.