Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nintendo switch is the consoel for dudes who hate their kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

chaosapiant posted:

What’s the current state of the Switch “version” of Ocarina of Time? I heard it was laggy and had graphical issues. Is that still the case?

The graphical issues have all been fixed for a while and it is by far the best looking version of Ocarina (inasmuch as an N64 game can look good). Input lag is *better* but still higher than every other version except the Wii U VC release. That said, it's in the range now where if you aren't a speed runner you probably won't notice it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You say that but both my pairs of joy cons have been fine for three years and started drifting during TotK. I may have been putting excessive strain on them, idk what makes them start to drift.

My joycons are basically brand new and it drifts, but doesn't drift with a wing.

It's drifting because a lot of the other connections you make with ultrahand connect at specific nodes so that things are lined up.

The hover bike doesn't have that, because the only aligned connection node on the hover bike on the very bottom. So when you are putting the fans on, no matter how carefully you're doing it, they are probably going to be very very slightly off of center. Which gives you drift.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sakurazuka posted:

When the Konami Contra collection came out I ended up playing through that like six times in a row for all the endings and it's a great feeling once you know all the bosses enough to do them without relying on any emulator shenanigans.
Fun fact the JP version had a health meter system which they took out for the US/EU release which is why it feels brutal even compared to other Contra games. Though I still say Shattered Soldier is harder and doesn't have that excuse lol

Shattered soldier is the only game I've ever quit on due to difficulty. I could get S ranks in every level, but I couldn't do it sequentially to open up the 6th and 7th one. It made me so loving angry.

I keep.saying I'll emulate and beat it , I probably should.

Rewind is crazy compared to save states though, my kid is just brute forcing Mario land rewinding nonstop. Even for the end panel stuff, so he has like 85 lives now

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Artix posted:

The graphical issues have all been fixed for a while and it is by far the best looking version of Ocarina (inasmuch as an N64 game can look good). Input lag is *better* but still higher than every other version except the Wii U VC release. That said, it's in the range now where if you aren't a speed runner you probably won't notice it.

Ok cool, that’s a key thing to me: I have the game on Switch, Wii-U, Wii, and 3DS. And I was comparing Switch version against Wii-U VC: Switch version is much sharper and seems to have slightly less input lag than the Wii-U version.

Granted, I know the 3DS remakes of Ocarina and Majora are the best, but I don’t always enjoy handheld gaming.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

In case the world wasn't bleak enough already, or maybe you're just not feeling depressed about everything in general, Lisa is coming to Switch.

I played it on Steam but didn't get very far. It's just not my cup of tea.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

B33rChiller posted:

How does that run?

Decently

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Made my first ToTK depth exploration vehicle. It's got strong bob sample tank energy: a controller inside a box with turrets on the top and sides, with six wheels and a giant light bulb on the front. i love him. It feels so good to use it too. Can't wait to iterate on it.

e: also sorry about constantly posting about TotK in here. I'm keeping my reading of the fast moving main thread for when I'll have completed the game in a month or two. this thread just seems more chill for the odd observation here and there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popoto posted:

Made my first ToTK depth exploration vehicle. It's got strong bob sample tank energy: a controller inside a box with turrets on the top and sides, with six wheels and a giant light bulb on the front. i love him. It feels so good to use it too. Can't wait to iterate on it.

e: also sorry about constantly posting about TotK in here. I'm keeping my reading of the fast moving main thread for when I'll have completed the game in a month or two. this thread just seems more chill for the odd observation here and there

I don't think there is anything wrong with posting about the hot new release for the Switch in the Switch thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are way too many shrines. And too many of them are hidden in dungeons/caves and difficult to locate. I get that you aren't really supposed to scour the map finding all of them but hey, I might need these extra couple of hearts so I don't have to open my inventory and eat a bunch of food mid-fight.

13 to go. Ugh. And almost all of them require searching for an entrance even though I know where the shrine is. We need a descend skill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

There are way too many shrines. And too many of them are hidden in dungeons/caves and difficult to locate. I get that you aren't really supposed to scour the map finding all of them but hey, I might need these extra couple of hearts so I don't have to open my inventory and eat a bunch of food mid-fight.

13 to go. Ugh. And almost all of them require searching for an entrance even though I know where the shrine is. We need a descend skill.

You can alleviate some of this issue by finding the cherry trees and giving them an apple which highlights every cave in the region but, uh, I've only found like two of the loving trees lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You can alleviate some of this issue by finding the cherry trees and giving them an apple which highlights every cave in the region but, uh, I've only found like two of the loving trees lol

If you go to the stables that are westish of lookout landing, there is a map on the wall of their locations.

But yeah, it's a way of finding them. Gotta love adding steps. My favorite is when you know there is a shrine. You fly around outside the area and find a cave. You go in and wander around and the shrine isn't in there.

The shrine is in another castlve

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
There should be more shrines

If you have enough hearts you can just stop, bro

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybealabia posted:

There should be more shrines

If you have enough hearts you can just stop, bro

this is it

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wish already fully explored caves didn't glow

god this game is huge

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

I wish already fully explored caves didn't glow

god this game is huge
Don't they get a little check mark on the map at least? You can pin them and delete the pins if there's a checked cave on your map.

I'm sad because I had a ton of fun in every cave trying to find the bauble thing. Whatever it was called. But then when I finally found the freak in the hot air balloon and gave him all the gems he wanted for his treasures... he said he had given them all to me!

All I have to do now is find all of them for completion sake. I don't care about completion, I want treasures!

Now when I go into caves I just feel less motivated to find the hidden guy... Why can't this game just go on forever?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I found all but one shrine that turned out to be tied to a shrine quest so my sensor wasn't going to go off while I wandered aimlessly for hours

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

pretty sure the optimal way to play is never get hearts because you can't get one shot and it's way easier to heal back to full if you only have 3 hearts total

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Shrine Hints:

1. Depths Lightroots = Aboveground Shrine

2. There's 120 shrines on the ground and 32 in the sky.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

If you wanna say gently caress it and just cheat, here’s the best map. Filter down to what you need.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cartoon Man posted:

If you wanna say gently caress it and just cheat, here’s the best map. Filter down to what you need.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/tears-of-the-kingdom-interactive-map/

I think you missed my point about knowing where shrines are but having to find the way to them being annoying.

Is there any point to helping the guy put up signs. Does that have an end point?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I think you missed my point about knowing where shrines are but having to find the way to them being annoying.

Is there any point to helping the guy put up signs. Does that have an end point?

HE IS EXERCISING HIS CIVIC DUTY

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aspyr sent me a code for Forced Unleashed as an apology for abandoning KOTOR 2.
It was the only one on the list I haven't played so... yay?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I always help Addison. For the food more than anything else

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope we finally get to kill louie in pikmin 4

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waltzing Along posted:

The point is Nintendo is real proud of their physics puzzles

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I always help Addison. For the food more than anything else

That's true, he gives good drops that seem (?) to be scaling with number of Addisons done rather than with player level. Maybe?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I just did two back to back Addison signs that were probably intended for early game (East of lookout landing) and both gave me veggie rice balls with no special effect that only restored 4 hearts.

so maybe random, maybe harder locations give better ones, who knows

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Aspyr sent me a code for Forced Unleashed as an apology for abandoning KOTOR 2.
It was the only one on the list I haven't played so... yay?

It’s a port of the Wii version which was pretty poo poo so that’s not the bonus it could have been if they’d done the ps3/360 version instead.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I know I was just complaining about completionism without appropriate rewards, but even though Addison's rewards are poo poo, I always drop everything to help that fucker.

I don't like him, I don't respect him. I often yell at him for putting his signs in the dumbest places humanly imaginable.

But by god I will do all of those physics puzzles. Some things are just a matter of duty.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Speaking of Wii ports, Nintendo still owes me NSMBWii on the switch.
Take my money, Nintendo! That and Earthbound gets the Link's Awakening treatment.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Costco does this like once a year, limit 2! ($200)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cartoon Man posted:

:siren: Costco does this like once a year, limit 2! ($200)

It says limit 2 but has always let me add a third in a separate transaction

E: the $50 cards are also on sale for $40 right now, also limit 2, but the discount on a third isn't applying this time

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 8, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I just got the Well Enthusiast achievement in TotK

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I just did two back to back Addison signs that were probably intended for early game (East of lookout landing) and both gave me veggie rice balls with no special effect that only restored 4 hearts.

so maybe random, maybe harder locations give better ones, who knows

This may just be confirmation bias, but I'm pretty sure Addison gives you food with effects tailored to the general location, like I always got cold resist food in Rito-land, heat resist in goron, etc

But then the stuff in the middle of nowhere was just like ok, 6 heart rice ball??? Could be total bullshit, but that's what I ended up seeing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve done all the dungeons and have about ten shrines left to do hopefully I can wrap it all up during the weekend and I can be free. Game good can’t wait for the DLC

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eiba posted:

Don't they get a little check mark on the map at least? You can pin them and delete the pins if there's a checked cave on your map.

I think the checkmark only applies for finding the bubulfrog, so you can totally miss other unique treasures.

Which has me concerned about missing armors.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My sensor is always set to 'well', shrines can wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I think the checkmark only applies for finding the bubulfrog, so you can totally miss other unique treasures.

Which has me concerned about missing armors.
The bubulfrogs are usually pretty hidden. I can't imagine having scoured a cave to the point where I've found that fucker but missed whatever was supposed to be in there.

Though now that I think about it there was at least one where I had to solve a puzzle from a quest and I would have missed the clothing were it not for the quest instructions... but I trust that those situations would have quests pointing to the cave at least.