Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grendels Dad posted:

Ah, so a sequel to Seven Samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

KVeezy3 posted:

“These swords are powered by the gauntlets that she holds. The gauntlets are these ancient [artifacts] from her home world"

Sounds familiar...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
[ancient lamentation music playing]

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Name Change posted:

"Firefly, except good" appears to be the concept.

Just by trying to make good capeshit Zack inevitably set up Joss to kill his own career and now Zack's remaking Whedon's baby, how do nerds not love this guy??

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

checkplease posted:

Full penetration cut.

Dennis Reynolds would be proud

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Blood Boils posted:

Just by trying to make good capeshit Zack inevitably set up Joss to kill his own career and now Zack's remaking Whedon's baby, how do nerds not love this guy??

Because those same nerds were Whedon stans

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's also noteworthy that not only is there a nonbinary actor in the ensemble cast, the character they're playing is also nonbinary, which is rather refreshingly straightforward instead of just hinting at it or queerbaiting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

KVeezy3 posted:

Another member with an axe to grind actually wields two flaming swords. South Korean actor Doona Bae plays Nemesis, a swordmaster who is partly mechanical. “These swords are powered by the gauntlets that she holds. The gauntlets are these ancient [artifacts] from her home world, and part of the rite of passage of being a warrior in her world is you have to cut your arm off, and then you put these kind of robot arms on. That allows you to wield these molten-metal blades,” Snyder says.

She inhabits a mining world that’s ruled by the Imperium, which extracts everything useful while leaving little for the planet’s inhabitants. “Nemesis is able to navigate the alleys and nooks and crannies, and she’s been sort of protecting the exploited workers of that world,”

:O

Lmao, that is metal as gently caress :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It seems like there should be a better way to use those than that

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

As the immortal Michael Bay told the inestimable Ben Affleck on the set of the all-time-great Armageddon

"shut up"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not hearing any!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Luke gets a robot hand. Snyder laughs heartily. "Just one?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

But I don't *want* a practical weapon! I want a weapon I can only use when I replace my own arms with robot arms.

The hidden challenge there is that, to cut off your own arms, you have to use the weapon you can only use after you cut off your own arms.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if she has some kind of star blades for arms. Would that be better.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

checkplease posted:

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'm not onboard, two movies even with two cuts each can only possibly introduce four characters. Zack Snyder just make four more films.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

checkplease posted:

lol

I got a "Star Blade" medal and title in Ace Combat for shooting enough planes with the laser beam, funnily enough

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Eagerly anticipating Doona Bae fire sword fight scenes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

lol

I got a "Star Blade" medal and title in Ace Combat for shooting enough planes with the laser beam, funnily enough

Nice, Tom cruise doesn’t even have that.

Hopefully some cool spaceship battles over the rebel moon!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

teagone posted:

I just imagine Whiplash but it's fire like with the Balrog?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I just imagine Whiplash but it's fire like with the Balrog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__O5YMmboFQ

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I'm in

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I already know I'm going to be just a little disappointed by Rebel Moon because stuff like this and Snyder directing it is making my hype level for it way beyond reasonable lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I already know I'm going to be just a little disappointed by Rebel Moon because stuff like this and Snyder directing it is making my hype level for it way beyond reasonable lol

I know, I'm gonna have to go into hype isolation for a few months to tone things down. After reading that Vanity Fair article I'm hype as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Sounds familiar...

A cyborg wonder woman of the proletariat, and that dastard turns Ray Fisher into a terrorist.

The filmmaker reunited with Ray Fisher, his Cyborg actor from the DC films, by casting him alongside Cleopatra Coleman (The Last Man on Earth, Dopesick); the two play Darrian and Devra, a brother-and-sister team known as the Bloodaxes. They are galactic insurgents who have been angering the Mother World with a hit-and-run spree of attacks against the Imperium, without being especially effective at stopping its reign of abuse and terror.

“They fight and hide. They don’t have the resources to have a pitched battle in the wide open,” Snyder says. “They’re kind of just loving with supply lines and blowing up train tracks. That’s their kind of thing.”

teagone posted:

She’s literally ‘Bae’.

McCloud posted:

I think it's also noteworthy that not only is there a nonbinary actor in the ensemble cast, the character they're playing is also nonbinary, which is rather refreshingly straightforward instead of just hinting at it or queerbaiting

I’m still looking forward to the takes that the film is crypto-fascist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okay that's just plain Warhammer as gently caress. Cavill must have gotten Snyder into it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay that's just plain Warhammer as gently caress. Cavill must have gotten Snyder into it.

Yeah I'm getting major Necromunda vibes from all the character descriptions, even the sort of space western way it was described in earlier stuff reminded me of the Outlanders book for it and the shootout scenarios (though I know modern Necromunda has generally removed a lot of western feeling stuff from the game).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Warhammer comparisons ARE kinda almost cheating given Warhammer steals from everything, but specifically having Imperium and also that giant loving gun there.

The Blood Axes are probably relatively incidental.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Warhammer comparisons ARE kinda almost cheating given Warhammer steals from everything, but specifically having Imperium and also that giant loving gun there.

The Blood Axes are probably relatively incidental.

Yeah if it was just the Imperium I wouldn't say it was so but that plus the general heavy metalness of it heck yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It can't be Warhammer, the shoulders are still reasonably proportioned still

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

It can't be Warhammer, the shoulders are still reasonably proportioned still

Also, nobody rebels against the Imperium. Those who do automatically transform into tentacle monsters or Chaos demons or tentacle Chaos demon monsters and whatnot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, nobody rebels against the Imperium. Those who do automatically transform into tentacle monsters or Chaos demons or tentacle Chaos demon monsters and whatnot.

Maybe that's the twist

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

People thought Zuckerburg was actually normal and that the casting and performance of Jesse was not accurate at the time. Putting him as Lex showcased that Zack was ahead of the curve since people didn't really get it at the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah it's totally a result of his background. If you were a straight guy growing up in the 80s reading Heavy Metal and watching action movies and reading comics and playing 80s video games you just naturally create Warhammer type nonsense. If it was the early 80s it was mercenary types like Rambo doing army poo poo and after Aliens and Robocop it was dudes in power armor doing army poo poo.

You can even see this in the books. The early Warhammer stuff is a book called Rogue Trader where the PCs are parties of wandering space adventurers doing adventure type poo poo and trying to stay alive. Then Aliens and Robocop happen and it's glorious space marines for the Emperor (with a sort of "isn't this crazy? wow haha this is totally fascist") then Iraq War 1 happens and it's glorious space marines for the Emperor (with full throated "these guys rule!")

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The REAL Goobusters posted:

People thought Zuckerburg was actually normal and that the casting and performance of Jesse was not accurate at the time. Putting him as Lex showcased that Zack was ahead of the curve since people didn't really get it at the time.

Yeah explicitly making billionaires even more pathetic loser weirdos followed the same trajectory--I mean also look at the difference between Bruce Waynes going from 1989, Dark Knight, then BvS and The Batman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah explicitly making billionaires even more pathetic loser weirdos followed the same trajectory--I mean also look at the difference between Bruce Waynes going from 1989, Dark Knight, then BvS and The Batman.

The 89 Bruce Wayne was actually a lot crazier than most depictions before or since, he literally has the 'Let's get nuts!' line and all. Though I have said that Bateman is what happens when Bruce Wayne's parents don't get murdered.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 89 Bruce Wayne was actually a lot crazier than most depictions before or since, he literally has the 'Let's get nuts!' line and all. Though I have said that Bateman is what happens when Bruce Wayne's parents don't get murdered.

Yeah and he hangs upside down, but that's a typical Burton "cheeky" thing, and being honest "lets get nuts" doesn't even register.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bale's Bruce Wayne is a huge loving doofus and that's what makes him likeable, while Affleck's is supposed to actually be more unhinged than is normal for Batman and explicitly on a downward spiral. Keaton's more plays up being genuinely weird even as Bruce Wayne, both in affectations and taste- there's a bit where some reporters sneak into a wing of the mansion full of artfully displayed weapons and armour from all over the world. 'Living room, dining room, arsenal...'

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bale was great, the issues with the Nolan movies stem from Nolan's quirks (refusal to shoot normal action scenes, being a sexless weirdo, whatever the rich nonsense was at the end of TDKR). I like Nolan's movies. He desperately needs a second unit director or someone to say "no" when he starts suggesting poo poo like TENET again.

Affleck is probably the best fit for the character we've had, but Bale did do some good work. People tease the voice but SWEAR TO ME is iconic IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

well why not posted:

Bale was great, the issues with the Nolan movies stem from Nolan's quirks (refusal to shoot normal action scenes, being a sexless weirdo, whatever the rich nonsense was at the end of TDKR). I like Nolan's movies. He desperately needs a second unit director or someone to say "no" when he starts suggesting poo poo like TENET again.

Affleck is probably the best fit for the character we've had, but Bale did do some good work. People tease the voice but SWEAR TO ME is iconic IMO.

The sexless part was one of the best things about the Nolan trilogy because it really leaned into Batman's childhood issues to fixate on the one girl he knew before his parents die, and her giving him a hard "no" because he's a weirdo - then when he finds that out, hooking up with the villain because he's so dumb.

It's a great contrast with the prior movies where Batman fell for every new woman he met in that movie and spent half the movie forgetting to solve the main problem in a couple because he's worried more about his relationship.