Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not letting my apartment-mate [21f] back inside, after she got spat upon by a camel?

That's a no win situation. Probably an rear end in a top hat move but I can't say I wouldn't have maybe done the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my friend that she's not Japanese even if she is by blood?

lol teenage..r....s?

Another half-Japanese chiming in here. Tedious gatekeeping OP can gently caress right off.

It could be an opportunity to learn and explore their own cultural background alongside her friend, but nope, MUST. PROTECT. THE. HOLY. SANCTITY. OF. NIHONJIN. gently caress off.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 7, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

is it too early to give out the rear end in a top hat of the month award?

I have considered asking my wife to stop telling me that she "loves" me...

i hate my wife for not being my fleshlight anymore, and i want to gently caress up the kids over it

it's her fault for deciding to go through menopause. she changed the rules of engagement!!

Sometimes circumstances change for reasons entirely out of people’s control, and it’s ok to accept that you and your partner may not be compatible in the ways you used to be. But holding onto a grudge for 7 years is probably the worst possible way to deal with it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Some people have an absolute pathological need to expose people to their allergens when they find out someone has an allergy. They simply MUST prove they're faking it for the incredibly positive attention and perks that come with having a terrible allergy.

I've been lucky enough to not encounter shitheads like this, but as a non-food allergy haver, I wonder what they'll do when they learn what I'm allergic to. It's horse hair.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I've been lucky enough to not encounter shitheads like this, but as a non-food allergy haver, I wonder what they'll do when they learn what I'm allergic to. It's horse hair.

They'll buy a Sainsbury's frozen lasagna.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

They'll buy a Sainsbury's frozen lasagna.

Meat's fine. I've eaten it before on several occasions and have enjoyed it, really. I can't cope with the hair on the other hand, and react quite poorly to it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One of the parents at the local riding school is allergic to horse hair and I've never seen anyone rub a Shetland in her face or insist she helps her kid tack up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Angrymog posted:

One of the parents at the local riding school is allergic to horse hair and I've never seen anyone rub a Shetland in her face or insist she helps her kid tack up.

I just want to see if these idiots will run off and come back with a horse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

edogawa rando posted:

I just want to see if these idiots will run off and come back with a horse.

Desperately hunting around for a full canvas suit jacket so I can rip it apart and rub it on your face

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
AITA for trying to change my partners morning routine?

quote:

I've (23F) been dating Josh (25M) for 3 years now and we moved in together a couple months ago. He's amazing in all aspects and we've talked about marriage and potentially having kids dependent on where we are financially in a few years. I can definitely see myself spending the rest of my life with him. However, there's one thing that really irks me about him: his morning routine.

I'm an early riser, usually getting up around 6am everyday, even on weekends when I don't work. I love having time to myself in the morning to decompress before my day and it makes me really feel like i've earned my evening and it's easier for me to go to bed early for the next day. I find waking up that early works best for me and it's been this way since I was a teenager.

Josh likes to start his morning later, sometimes in the afternoon. He can work flexibly so usually he wakes at 10, 12/1 on weekends. He'll make himself breakfast and makes more mess in the kitchen and then he starts his day. He also goes to bed a lot later than me because of this. Josh comes from a family where they worked long night shifts so waking up later in line with his parents was normal to him and he's carried this habit through to adulthood.

I really wish he would wake up earlier. Maybe not with me (although that would be nice) but a few hours. We spend as much time together as possible outside of work but it would be nice to spend more and to be able to go to bed together. I also think that he would just be more productive if he got up earlier and we could make morning plans on the weekend like going out for brunch or a nice hike. So, I brought this up to him.

He basically freaked out and asked me why I'm always trying to change his routine (I don't, I've only asked a few times) and that he just functions that way. I really don't understand that, there are studies in which people are aligned to wake up with the sun hence things like sunrise alarms. Josh wakes up when the sun is already up. He said it was excessive for him to wake up at 8am when I've already started my workday so we could only spend mornings together on weekends anyway. We have tried to do that but he just reverts to his old ways and I think if he got up earlier consistently on weekdays, we could spend mornings on weekends together.

AITA for "trying to change [his] morning routine?"

My favorite op reply:

commentor posted:

If josh had asked you to start staying up late and sleeping in on weekends how would you have responded to that

op posted:

I would try but I don't think it's physically possible for me to do that. You can always wake up earlier and just be a little more tired but it's definitely a lot harder to stay awake

:jerkbag:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for trying to change my partners morning routine?

We spend as much time together as possible outside of work but it would be nice to spend more and to be able to go to bed together.

Maybe sticking to his routine is the only way he gets some time to himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Have a low stakes(?) post:

AITA for wanting 2 pieces of bread?

quote:

My bf (32m) and I(23f) are making sandwiches. We have 4 nice pieces of bread and 2 crusts. It was his idea to make a sandwich. He wants a BLT, which requires 3 pieces of toast. I want to make a regular, 2 piece sandwich. I think we should both get 2 pieces, as the third peice is not vital to the sandwich. He thinks because it was his idea and that I was eating cupcakes, I should have one crust. AITA for taking 2 nice slices?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
OP is an rear end in a top hat there for sure

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Have a low stakes(?) post:

AITA for wanting 2 pieces of bread?

A BLT does not "require" two pieces of toast, also why are people so down on crust pieces? You're both assholes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was confused at first because every piece has a crust. Those are the end pieces, or the butts.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
What mental illness is this, is it a hoarding sub-type?

AITA for leaving my husband at home, while I spend the week at my brothers, because of how he “buys” groceries?

quote:

I’ve been in a committed relationship with my husband for 17 years, and overall, things have been great. We’ve had a few rough patches, but what’s important to note is that while he earns more than me and is considered the main provider, I have a substantial trust fund that ensures we’re financially stable. I work part-time as a teacher while attending university, earning less than him, and most of my income goes towards tuition. Our household income exceeds $200k annually, while the average in our area is below $50k.

One ongoing issue we have is my husband’s frugality. He likes to control my spending and have the final say on how he uses his earnings. It’s worth mentioning that I’ve never used any of his income and have no intention to do so.

However, the main point of contention between us is his frequent visits to food banks. Despite having more than enough food at home, he insists on going to food banks to save money. He intentionally looks disheveled and uses our beat-up car to blend in, even though he’s never experienced food scarcity. I’ve explained to him the need for food donations in our community, even showing him social media posts from local food banks, but he remains indifferent. I suggested he volunteer or donate to gain firsthand experience, but he refuses. The unfortunate part is that since we’re never short on food, most of what he brings home ends up getting thrown away.

Today, I discovered our fridge filled with fresh produce and meat that clearly didn’t come from our regular grocery store. When I confronted him, he admitted to going to a food bank after seeing a Facebook post about a donation of fresh food. People on social media were already asking if any was left, and there wasn’t. I showed him these comments, but he brushed them off, claiming people should have gone earlier. Exhausted by the situation, I packed a bag and went to stay with my brother for the weekend, asking for space to think things over.

My husband accuses me of overreacting, being vindictive, and threatens to go back to the food banks regardless of my feelings. His family is also messaging me, calling me an rear end in a top hat and urging me to stop interfering with his choices. I turned off my phone, but now they’re bombarding my brother with messages. Thankfully, he supports my decision and ignores them.

All I want is to enjoy the rest of my week without being angry at my husband. Yes, I could let this go and not scold him, but the food he takes could have gone to people who truly need it. I’m not leaving my husband, but I need a few days away to gain some clarity. Am I wrong for wanting this space?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

E) ^^^ that is a really weird guy, never properly feeling food insecurity is probably why he is indifferent to literally taking the food out of the mouths of people with food insecurity ^^^

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was confused at first because every piece has a crust. Those are the end pieces, or the butts.

not if you buy bread with the crusts already cut off :smug:

but yeah, in Aus we call the end pieces the "crusts". I guess it is the same in the UK.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 7, 2023

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
That husband likes making poor people suffer. He can outspend his neighborhood and he’s not content unless he’s literally taking food away from the less fortunate. He’s the type of person who’ll say poo poo like “minorities should work harder if they want to succeed in the world” while knowing full well that people like him are actively making it harder for others. There’s no way this is the “only” issue with this guy.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If it is the tip of a traditional loaf or baguette I would call it the heel of the bread but for a modern toaster loaf I would probably call it the crust or the ends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
loving lol he tries to make a show out of it, rich people will literally just roll up to food banks in suits and Cadillacs and take everything they can while glaring at everyone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MisterOblivious posted:

The guards on spinny bits don't make us "pussies." Go read The Jungle at the absolute bare minimum, Chad, before you open your mouth about again about safety regulations.

I'd say The Jungle should be required reading, but even when it was written the point (people are living in horrid conditions and hideously mistreated by companies for a quick buck) was completely missed, in favor of everyone getting upset that there might be immigrant in their hotdog. Like the FDA is awesome, and food safety is good, but it took quite awhile longer for workplace safety to improve.

Everything you said about guns is weirdly counterfactual. The point of a gun has always been to immediately remove another person's ability to fight, not to give them a nasty infection days later. And modern weapons generally use smaller bullets with smaller powder charges, not the other way around.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lolling at the notion of Civil War soldiers lining up at Gettysburg and the general giving his encouraging speech of "You may not kill the enemy today, but don't worry, the point is to give them a nasty infection."

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Agrikk posted:

I’m still puzzled about why people feel the need to give a poo poo about what other people are drinking/eating/not drinking/not eating.

loving hell I'm surprised we haven't gotten a high-profile religious discrimination case in this field from a mormon or a really zealous AA'er by this point yet

kru
Oct 5, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for leaving my husband at home, while I spend the week at my brothers, because of how he “buys” groceries?

It's a while since this thread has actually managed to make me physically angry.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
there was a time I thought about going to a food bank but realized there were people worse off. I still had food. Trying to stockpile poo poo is horrible when others don't even have a single meal.

AITA For Not Respecting My Coworkers Boundaries and Dropping the Conversation?

quote:

I am pretty sure I'm the rear end in a top hat here. But I wanted to post and get more opinions and maybe helpful advice on how to improve myself because the content of this post tells me I need it.

I originally posted on another sub and got blasted so I copied the post verbatim below. I'm kinda ashamed of myself for my verbiage in a few paragraphs but I feel like I need to keep it all to get a real opinion from readers.

Story start:

So my boss is out of town and I am stuck in the office with my coworker.

One of my biggest mistakes when she was onboarded was letting some personal information about my relationship with my brother slip.

I know, bad move, huge breach of etiquette, I'm giving myself a pass with this one because if I don't I will ruminate on it forever and bully myself into the ground about how I should have done better.

Anyway, I was talking about how gross the dudes I went to college with were and she was saying "well boys grow up."

I was like "no idea how some of those dudes managed to get married they were so gross."

"Well, they mature. Not sure if you realize but their brains are still developing in college. I'm sure they grew into fine young men."

"Bet some of them still don't pick up their underwear off the bathroom floor."

"Well, you don't have to live with them...you live with your brother and hopefully you don't have to clean his floor."

Me, staring dramatically into the distance like I'm in the office, "sometimes I think I can smell it through the walls."

"Well, I've already told you my solution to that and you don't like to hear that."

(She's referring to her opinion that, if life with my brother is so horrible I should move out or kick him out. We currently live in the same house for very personal reasons that she happens to be privy to and believes are not sufficient for me to continue to live there if I dislike him so much).

"You're right. Although you're the one who keeps bringing it back into conversation. I didn't even mention him, you did. You're opinion is noted and ignored."

She got snippy and essentially said "it's 8 am before coffee and I barely know what I'm saying. I don't need this negativity and I'm not here to fight with you. Can we just sit here quietly and relax?"

"Sure."

"Thank you!"

Like? Bitch you brought it up and I'm harshing your mellow?

Kiss my rear end and gtfo my personal life. I don't care if I initially invited you in by telling you. It was a huge mistake on my part and we have since marked it as a taboo topic and don't speak of it. I never bring it up, you do, and you can't get mad at me for telling you to gently caress off when this boundary has been established.

God I really don't like her.

TL;DR I got into an argument with my coworker about personal details I told her in a previous conversation that she brought up when I did not drop a topic she did not want to talk about. Pretty sure I'm the rear end in a top hat but AITA?

all the mentions of "personal reasons" makes me think some Flowers in the Attic poo poo.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

there was a time I thought about going to a food bank but realized there were people worse off. I still had food. Trying to stockpile poo poo is horrible when others don't even have a single meal.

all the mentions of "personal reasons" makes me think some Flowers in the Attic poo poo.

What on earth is going on with these people. Just stop talking about non-work-related poo poo? It sounds like you both hate each other? God I'm so glad I work remotely. When people try to start weird conversations with me I just ignore them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The weird food bank thievery is only the crust of the loaf!

Edit: oops stale tab. ;_;

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

The spoilered bit confused the poo poo out of me because they are in the office until I realized she actually turns to look at a non-existent camera as though she were on the goddamn show.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LawfulWaffle posted:

That husband likes making poor people suffer. He can outspend his neighborhood and he’s not content unless he’s literally taking food away from the less fortunate. He’s the type of person who’ll say poo poo like “minorities should work harder if they want to succeed in the world” while knowing full well that people like him are actively making it harder for others. There’s no way this is the “only” issue with this guy.

Yeah, this guy definitely has Opinions about welfare programs.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

What on earth is going on with these people. Just stop talking about non-work-related poo poo? It sounds like you both hate each other? God I'm so glad I work remotely. When people try to start weird conversations with me I just ignore them.

Don't encourage them! If they stop talking to each other then they would try to talk to other people who don't deserve to have that inflicted on them.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

If it is the tip of a traditional loaf or baguette I would call it the heel of the bread but for a modern toaster loaf I would probably call it the crust or the ends.

My husband is absolutely awful in every way, except he prefers the crust of the bread so I can't leave him because I only like the proper slices.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they've gotten pretty good at making the heels on normal loaves of bread very thin and useless at this point

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

artsy fartsy posted:

After she has safely removed herself from this house/marriage, she should post this on her local Facebook page along with her ex husband's photograph.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

It’s so easy to make small talk with coworkers instead of discussing anything that’s likely to be a sensitive subject. You can just literally talk about work, or that you saw a cool movie recently or whatever. Like it’s clear that OP somehow felt the need to hammer back on the same point despite their coworker trying to navigate away from the subject. On the other hand, I’ve worked with too many people who felt that work was the best place to start talking about how 9/11 was an inside job and other fun conspiracy theories so it can be worse

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

they've gotten pretty good at making the heels on normal loaves of bread very thin and useless at this point

Yeah it sucks. The end pieces rule when they're nice and thick.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cowslips Warren posted:

A lot of posts in this threads would've easily avoided if people just said basic third grade things like "I don't want to talk about it because it's personal" instead of pretending you're in your favorite anime, the office, and being rude instead just kinda sucks

Edit: you don't have to like them but also don't be a huge dick because you're anti-social or whatever

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyway, I was talking about how gross the dudes I went to college with were and she was saying "well boys grow up."
Just casually bringing up gross sweaty dudes from years ago in normal morning work chit-chat, as one does.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
She was sick of hearing him complain about poo poo that he either needs to fix or accept and saying generic 'shut up' phrases and this guy still couldn't take the hint.

Nothing is worse than your coworker airing their home grievances out in the office constantly as if it's a group therapy session, since their coworkers are a captive audience who can't escape.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 7, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MisterOblivious posted:

There's some UTI prevention supplement ad on tv with a wife and husband and she claimed to have 8 UTIs in one year. Every time I the husband all I can think is "motherfucker, have you heard of soap?"
Unfortunately some women are just prone to that.

I had a relationship where I'd wash EVERYTHING with antibiotic soap AND swish with Listerine before anything happened and she STILL got UTI every few weeks when were were doing stuff that came near her hoo-ha (as she called it).

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

artsy fartsy posted:

I am instantly angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

haveblue posted:

More charitably, some people have trouble getting it through their heads that one can have problems that can't be fixed and they just have to live with and be mindful of forever. There must be some solution that you haven't tried because everything can be overcome if you just put in the effort, right?
This reminds me of what someone said once about the way some people think about gay kids. If kids can be turned gay then they can be turned back to being straight. Then you get the kid you wanted and their (your) life goes the way you want and you'll never have to deal with not getting what you want.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for wanting my debit card back the same day?

cancel your card and your relationship, dumbass

you dumbass

quote:

quote:

Fake lol

quote:

Yeah I wish. And I wish I didn’t love him

She loves him, don't you see? She has no option but to stay with him forever!