Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Main reason I picked sorc is because historically devs can't help but make teleport overpowered and delightful. The basic skill is meh, but I FINALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE WITH THE CLASS:

Arc Lash build. Boots with +2 evade charges, teleport enchantment replaces evade with teleport. Passives skills mean every cooldown use damages enemies, stuns enemies, increases my DR, and gives me a barrier (which from aspects increases my damage).

So I now have 3 evade charges + 1 bar teleport to zoom across open space, AND each use is +barrier +damage +damage reduction.

Yes. Yes indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Learned today that quest progress is only saved periodically so if you quit at an inopportune time the game will roll back your quest progress a bit. Actually, I experienced this twice because I experienced a bug in Act 3 crossing the desert where the quest wouldn't progress while in one of safe zones. When I relogged the game I had to restart the whole quest leg. :mad:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

coelomate posted:

Main reason I picked sorc is because historically devs can't help but make teleport overpowered and delightful. The basic skill is meh, but I FINALLY HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE WITH THE CLASS:

Arc Lash build. Boots with +2 evade charges, teleport enchantment replaces evade with teleport. Passives skills mean every cooldown use damages enemies, stuns enemies, increases my DR, and gives me a barrier (which from aspects increases my damage).

So I now have 3 evade charges + 1 bar teleport to zoom across open space, AND each use is +barrier +damage +damage reduction.

Yes. Yes indeed.

Ya arc lash is good. I used it to beat the campaign. It just sort of melted everything when stacking it with frost nova and +vulenerable dmg and +crit dmg.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've only just gotten done with Act 1, and I'm surprised to find that the story is... actually not terrible? Like it's not high art or anything, but at least so far I'm actually curious to see where it goes, and Lilith/Inarius are more interesting antagonists than the usual Diablo fare. Certainly a sight better than Diablo 3. Also good goddamn the environment designers sure put their entire rear end into the Black City. That was gross as hell in the best way :catstare:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Perestroika posted:

I've only just gotten done with Act 1, and I'm surprised to find that the story is... actually not terrible? Like it's not high art or anything, but at least so far I'm actually curious to see where it goes, and Lilith/Inarius are more interesting antagonists than the usual Diablo fare. Certainly a sight better than Diablo 3. Also good goddamn the environment designers sure put their entire rear end into the Black City. That was gross as hell in the best way :catstare:

It's interesting, I thought the environments didn't look that good in videos but they look a lot better actually playing the game. Good poo poo.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Perestroika posted:

The story's a slow burn. Lots of build up with characters and setting then the big payoff at the end. Enjoy! I loved it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Perestroika posted:

:yeah:

Got through act 2 last night and having a good time! I did manage to get my first death against the Act 2 boss but it was because I majorly hosed up positioning in a tight space and necro has no mobility.

Looking forward to getting through Act 3 and getting my mount then exploring a bit more before taking on the next acts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have yet to see a stupid butterfly demon, campaign is great.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finished a2 last night and I was thinking they way over telegraphed the demon resurrecting for the boss fight then holy poo poo they smack you with it hard. Story's getting metal as all hell.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Am I stupid when I try to level my first guy with world tier 2? I guess it’s perfectly possible to use it while levelling?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
For those having money problems post-campaign, are you extracting well-rolled/cool aspects that you don't plan on using immediately? If so, there's really no point in doing that. Just spend like 300k on 2 extra stash tabs and you'll have room to dump 100 legendaries and you can extract when you actually need them.

Other thing I've noticed is that Sacred items give Sacred aspects. I don't think these actually do anything special, the roll ranges seem the same, but imprinting a Sacred item with a non-Sacred aspect is a shitload more expensive, like 5x as much gold an some extra mats.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm still early on, but is Tyrael dead? Between the Horadrim being a shell of its former self again, no one ever mentioning him, and Inarius returning and taking over the church, it feels like something really bad happened to him in the time between games.

I've seen like one mention of him and that was Lorath he went to go do a task however long ago, presumably before the order went to poo poo, and never heard from him again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Am I stupid when I try to level my first guy with world tier 2? I guess it’s perfectly possible to use it while levelling?

I think probably they end up evening out , since you advance faster on WT1 which probably makes up for the higher xp/gear in WT2. I'd say it's more about your preference for difficulty.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ihmemies posted:

Start with tier 2 and if the killing pace is fine for you stick with it. Drop down to 1 if you feel sluggish. It really doesn't matter while leveling.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Ihmemies posted:

WT1 is probably faster for kill times vs the 20% experience bonus but you can do WT2 just fine if you want. I'm not in a rush and I got past the hump by 25-30. It's definitely more engaging than the usual ARPG sleepwalk through early content.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I think my beef with the game right now is that the transition between World Tier 3 and 4 seems kind of rough. My necro (59) is at a point where I can solo Tier 20 NM dungeons and the world content is trivial, but the level 70 Capstone dungeon feels really tough - and getting to the point where it gets easier basically just feels like I'm supposed to grind out XP to get closer to 70. I can't really improve my gear at this point - nothing that drops is markedly better than what I have, I have the uniques I need for my build, and all the right legendary aspects.

Could just be the nature of my build being not great for the capstone (shadow necro), but it takes everything else I throw at it so I dunno.

I get that having 16 tiers of difficulty might have been confusing but the current level of granularity feels bad like Diablo 3's initial set of big broad difficulty categories.

Have you upgraded/socketed/enchanted your gear? It makes a pretty big difference. Don't forget to level up your potions, and remember that elixirs exist to give you a boost to damage or toughness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got the affix which makes pulverize shoot in a line like an old geomancer ability

It owns

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doomykins posted:

WT1 is probably faster for kill times vs the 20% experience bonus but you can do WT2 just fine if you want. I'm not in a rush and I got past the hump by 25-30. It's definitely more engaging than the usual ARPG sleepwalk through early content.

Thanks. I’m super bored when the only point is to rush through everything mindlessly without any challenge. WT2 seems to offer at least some if you don’t have twink gear.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rhonne posted:

I'm still early on, but is Tyrael dead? Between the Horadrim being a shell of its former self again, no one ever mentioning him, and Inarius returning and taking over the church, it feels like something really bad happened to him in the time between games.

On this note, is there a good refresher for the Diablo storyline up til now? I don't remember much besides plunging the soulstone into my head at the end of 1, and then chasing down my old character in 2 since Diablo ended up taking him over.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They probably didn’t need so many overworld zones

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

euphronius posted:

They probably didn’t need so many overworld zones

The worst part of this is that zones are never really cleared because doing any teleporting seems to reset all the mobs.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WT2 is hit and miss your first play through. It's obviously the correct choice on an alt that starts with a horse, +10 skill points, and +100 to all stats or whatever dumb poo poo renown gives your whole account.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Journey from 1 to 57 has been great. Then things are starting to drag out. I have my most important paragon node, good stats on all my gear slots and all the aspects to make my build work.

Now I'm looking at how much I still have to grind to 100 and I'm questioning myself if its worth it. Scaling makes the actual combat feel extrmely similar every level I pass. Very rarely do I get a loot drop that feels like an upgrade. The dungeons all feel very similar in structure and mob density is just not fun atm, running from white pack to white pack.

Judging by how long its taking me to level I'd judge I'll need to grind another 60-70 hours to get to 100. But honestly I'm not sure what is even waiting for me there. Uber Lilith? Maybe chasing some T1 unique?

Around the lvl 60 point is definitely going to be a point where the game slows down so much a lot of people will reroll something else or pause playing alltogether I feel.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SettingSun posted:

The worst part of this is that zones are never really cleared because doing any teleporting seems to reset all the mobs.

Thankfully the mount has sorta made that a non issue for the most part, unless you really get cornered or blocked by one of those walls or are out of boosts just running through the mobs seems to work alright.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Doing dungeons that are assigned by the tree of whispers is an optimal chioce: you get renown, aspect unlocks, good loot/xp in the dungeon, and the whisper caches will add up to lots more legendaries over time.

I'm only now getting to a point where whispers sometimes want me to repeat a dungeon, which is a tougher choice: whisper but no renown/aspect unlock, or regular dungeon with no whisper bonus.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SettingSun posted:

poo poo I've had spots respawn just by walking off screen and coming back on a few occasions. There truly is no "clearing" a section at all anymore.

Getting a Mount feels imperetive :v: does it get unlocked for all characters afterwards?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mikojan posted:

Journey from 1 to 57 has been great. Then things are starting to drag out. I have my most important paragon node, good stats on all my gear slots and all the aspects to make my build work.

Now I'm looking at how much I still have to grind to 100 and I'm questioning myself if its worth it. Scaling makes the actual combat feel extrmely similar every level I pass. Very rarely do I get a loot drop that feels like an upgrade. The dungeons all feel very similar in structure and mob density is just not fun atm, running from white pack to white pack.

Judging by how long its taking me to level I'd judge I'll need to grind another 60-70 hours to get to 100. But honestly I'm not sure what is even waiting for me there. Uber Lilith? Maybe chasing some T1 unique?

Around the lvl 60 point is definitely going to be a point where the game slows down so much a lot of people will reroll something else or pause playing alltogether I feel.

I'm confused about people's expectation for this game: Diablo is a franchise about endlessly grinding for better gear so you can continue the endless grind. That's the game. What is waiting for you is more of this game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

goferchan posted:

Other thing I've noticed is that Sacred items give Sacred aspects. I don't think these actually do anything special, the roll ranges seem the same, but imprinting a Sacred item with a non-Sacred aspect is a shitload more expensive, like 5x as much gold an some extra mats.

ohhh thats what the difference is lol

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

poo poo I've had spots respawn just by walking off screen and coming back on a few occasions. There truly is no "clearing" a section at all anymore.

Getting a Mount feels imperetive :v: does it get unlocked for all characters afterwards?

When you start in Adventure Mode you have a mount from level 1.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Phenotype posted:

On this note, is there a good refresher for the Diablo storyline up til now? I don't remember much besides plunging the soulstone into my head at the end of 1, and then chasing down my old character in 2 since Diablo ended up taking him over.

Diablo 2 happened, all the primes got dead but Big T had to blow up Worldstone. Later the rest of Lesser Evils tried to take over the world and Imperius, Archangel of Valour and commander in Chief of angels said Heaven ain't doing nothing about it so T broke his wings off and fell to earth and this raised some undead (?) but anyway you kill all the rest of the evils and then Diablo again and shove them all into one rock.

Rather then lean back and relax, one Arch Angel named Matheal decided that it was totally balls that humans could choose between good and evil and that they were half demon and that's good enough excuse to do a genocide. So he steals the big rock of evil and uses it to kill like 90% of all humans before you gank him and drive this drives Sanctuary back into yet darker ages then they were already in.

Also Matt broke the rock with all the evils in it during the fight, mostly to be a dick, so now the primes are reforming and everyone is back to square one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The barbarian's walking arsenal system is very intriguing to me, but maxroll doesn't seem to have a build that shines a spotlight on it. There are a bunch of passives and skills that utilize all 3 weapon types and give bonuses for swapping around. I wonder if I can piece something interesting together or is the lack of an existing build a sign that the idea isn't very powerful.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your alts also seem to get all the main WPs

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zoux posted:

I'm confused about people's expectation for this game: Diablo is a franchise about endlessly grinding for better gear so you can continue the endless grind. That's the game. What is waiting for you is more of this game.

Eh, I have 4000 hours in poe and maybe a 1000 in d3 so I understand what it means to play an ARPG.

Its just that right now if kind of feels like nothing interesting is happening or gonna happen before I reach 100 but to each their own ofc

There needs to be more aspirational things like the capstone dungeons or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna hit endgame soon and let me make sure I have this clear:

I do Tree Stuff (bounties) to get keys to Nightmare Dungeons (greater rifts) in which you level glyphs (legendary gems) and look for sacred (ancient) drops. And do those special red zones which I don't think have a D3 analog.

Mikojan posted:

Eh, I have 4000 hours in poe and maybe a 1000 in d3 so I understand what it means to play an ARPG.

Its just that right now if kind of feels like nothing interesting is happening or gonna happen before I reach 100 but to each their own ofc

There needs to be more aspirational things like the capstone dungeons or something

What's "interesting" or "happening" during the endless map grind in PoE?

I'm not picking on you, I see this complaint a lot. I do think that seasons are going to solve a lot of this perception, but I still don't get what people are looking for

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 7, 2023

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Doomykins posted:

Oh, hey, am I supposed to be on WT1 early on? I figured that was Easy mode and WT2 was the equivalent of Normal. The monsters have been pretty normal as far as health, feels like they're dying in a 3-4 hits for the most part.

Although I fought what felt like the first "real" boss last night, that Airidah lady, and she was a serious bullet sponge. Felt like it took a good ten minutes (probably less, but it FELT like ten) to take her down, just covering the floor in poison traps and shooting Forceful Arrow and Penetrating Shot when I had a chance, and making sure I kept moving and didn't get greedy about getting hits in. Might have seemed a bit less unreasonable on WT1 I guess.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Was all juiced up to get my first ancestral weapon, 800 item level and a huge DPS boost, but it's bugged somehow and can't be imprinted! I know there used to be a system in place where you can only imprint ancestral with ancestral aspects, same for sacred, but as far as I know that was removed? Bums me out but I can still make use of this for now anyway. I'd test with another aspect or one of the other lesser ancestrals I managed to grab, but as you can see the costs are a little prohibitive, for now anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The first two world tiers while leveling/campaign are a matter of what you are comfortable with. You need to be in WT2 to break into WT3 though so you gotta be in there eventually.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

zoux posted:

I'm gonna hit endgame soon and let me make sure I have this clear:

I do Tree Stuff (bounties) to get keys to Nightmare Dungeons (greater rifts) in which you level glyphs (legendary gems) and look for sacred (ancient) drops. And do those special red zones which I don't think have a D3 analog.

Yup. Get to 50 > do capstone > get enough gear to do the next capstone > level in WT4 while getting gear until you can do the ancient sigils.

So far the sigils haven't been great exp compared to the overworld so I'm just doing side quests and whisper areas simultaneously to get renown up while leveling 60 to 70.

I figure 70+ the sigils might start being worth it exp wise due to mob level

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phenotype posted:

Oh, hey, am I supposed to be on WT1 early on? I figured that was Easy mode and WT2 was the equivalent of Normal. The monsters have been pretty normal as far as health, feels like they're dying in a 3-4 hits for the most part.

WT1 or WT2 won't really matter once you beat the game because you'll want to get on WT3 as soon as possible after beating the story, so generally people have recommended cruising through the story in WT1 because it'll be faster which offsets the extra time taken to beat things at WT2. I did the story in WT1 and after beating the story immediately did the dungeon for 3 (which has to be done in WT2) so I skipped right over 2 for the most part but it really doesn't matter. If you're having fun at 2 stay at 2 but don't be afraid to knock it down if you feel like you're taking too long to kill things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phenotype posted:

They actually produced a series of videos just for that. They're pretty good and to the point, I just went through them myself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfVNgk_Hho