Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

For the first 3, I know Forsberg hit +50 in 02/03 and maybe did it another year. I think Heatley hit a really high number in one of the Senators years. Lemieux must have done it one of the years. Fedorov as well in some of the Wings better years.

4. I know one of the answers to this - Jeff Schultz. I'll guess Lidstrom since someone else will anyways.

Fedorov is correct for +45. Heatley is not, and Forsberg is not the one who did it twice.

Forsberg and Lemieux are two of the +50 players, so correct on those with one left.

Schultz was the tricky one so good job on getting that. The other is not Lidstrom.

7 left on that first question, and the other D still has to be guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

In 2021-22, Calgary had an insane situation in which one line saw 3 forwards hit the +50 mark and nearly +60.

This got me thinking about plus minus, in the form of a few questions.

1. Other than Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk last season, only 10 forwards have reached the +45 mark or better in a single season since 1990 (beginning in the 1990-91 season). Who are they?

2. Only one of them did it twice. Name the culprit.

3. Only THREE of these 10 forwards have reached +50. Name them.

4. Can you name the only two defensemen to hit +50 since 2000 (beginning in 2000-01 season)?

1) Did Jagr also do it?

2) I'll guess Lemieux here

4) Pronger? I know he had that Hart Trophy season but I can't remember how high his +/- got or if it happened post 2000. I know it was around 2000

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

All incorrect. Jagr never did it and Mario only did it once.

Pronger had his big season in 99-00. He would be one of them but I have specified starting from the year after that, so also incorrect.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i envision sakic and elias probably both hit it in 2001

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i know fedorov did it twice but thats because i am a massive feds fanboy
for the other forwards... forsberg? crosby? Hossa?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

corn on the cop posted:

i envision sakic and elias probably both hit it in 2001

They did!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

clean ayers act posted:

i know fedorov did it twice but thats because i am a massive feds fanboy
for the other forwards... forsberg? crosby? Hossa?

He did indeed, +48 and +49 seasons.

Forsberg has already been guessed. Crosby and Hossa never did it and never even got to +30.

+50
Lemieux 92-93
Forsberg 02-03
????

+45
Elias 00-01
Sakic 00-01
Fedorov 93-94 and 95-96
????
????
????
????

+50 Defensemen
Schultz 09-10
????

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 28, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

OK the answers:

+50
Lemieux 92-93
Forsberg 02-03
Hejduk 02-03

+45
Elias 00-01
Sakic 00-01
Fedorov 93-94 and 95-96
Fleury 90-91
Ovechkin 09-10
Vanek 06-07
Karlsson 17-18

+50 Defensemen
Schultz 09-10
Toews 21-22

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The only guy I could think of was Datsyuk, so I did finally look up the answers yesterday, and trying to rack my brain for "defensive-minded forwards that put up points" was apparently the wrong way to think of that question.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
yeah there is 0 chance i would ever have thought of any of those, oof

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
What's even more surprising is that it's William Karlsson, not Erik. His next best year is +19.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zodijackylite posted:

What's even more surprising is that it's William Karlsson, not Erik. His next best year is +19.

Is that really surprising, though? Pretty sure EK has racked up a negative +/- way more often than a positive one.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, the unanswered ones:

mentholmoose posted:

2: The 2023 Eastern Conference Final between the Cats and the Canes was a low-scoring sweep. In fact, only two teams scored less than the Panthers 10 goals in a 4 game sweep (in any round) and won. Which teams were they?

The 2003 Western Conference Final was already guessed. The other series was the 2018 Western Conference Quarterfinal between the Knights and Kings. The Knights won 4 straight, scoring only 7 goals in the process. All 4 games were one goal wins, and 2 of them were 1-0. Marc-Andre Fleury posted some very un-MAF stats in the series, posting an 0.65 GAA and a .977 save percentage. Jonathan Quick went 0-4 with a .947 sv%.

mentholmoose posted:

5: Post-expansion, there was one series with all 4 games having the same score. Which series was it?

All 4 games of the 1993 Adams Division Final, between the Montreal Canadiens and Buffalo Sabres, ended 4-3. The last three games all ended in overtime. Definitely one of the closest sweeps ever.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

On December 7, 2022 Tage Thompson scored his fifth goal in a win over the Columbus Blue Jackets. This was the first time since 1996 that two five goal games occurred in the same calendar year with Timo Meier accomplishing the fear in January 2022. It hasn't been done in the same season since Peter Bondra and Mike Ricci each had one two weeks apart in February 1994. Even rarer is the five goal playoff game.

Can you name the five players in history who have scored five goals in a playoff game?

Three occurred in the expansion era (post 1967) two prior. No "nobody" has ever done it.

Free hint: It's one of the few things Gretzky never did.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Wasn’t Mario Lemieux scoring the five different ways a playoff game?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't know anyone else, but I know Mario Lemieux did it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mario is the first one! No sadly it wasn't the five goals five different ways game, that was the same season though.

On April 25, 1989 Mario scored five goals (four in the first period alone) in a win over the Flyers. He'd complete the feat with 40 seconds to go in the game as the Flyers battled back from a 9-3 defecit after the second briefly bringing it to 9-7 before Mario made it double digits for the Pens.

The Pens lost the series in 7 and Mario only scored one more goal after that.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 29, 2023

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I believe Rocket Richard is one, he's an easy answer to a lot of goal-scoring questions.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Kurri?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Mario is the first one! No sadly it wasn't the five goals five different ways game, that was the same season though.

On April 25, 1989 Mario scored five goals (four in the first period alone) in a win over the Flyers. He'd complete the feat with 40 seconds to go in the game as the Flyers battled back from a 9-3 defecit after the second briefly bringing it to 9-7 before Mario made it double digits for the Pens.

The Pens lost the series in 7 and Mario only scored one more goal after that.
Esposito? Reggie Leach? Neely?

Edit: Johan Franzen?

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 29, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Gaborik? Bobby Smith?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I believe Rocket Richard is one, he's an easy answer to a lot of goal-scoring questions.

The Rocket was the 2nd ever player to do it. He did so against the Maple Leafs in March 1944 en route to his first ever Stanley Cup against the powerhouse Red Wings.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Esposito? Reggie Leach? Neely?

Edit: Johan Franzen?

Reggie Leach is correct as well. He had five of his team's six goals in the series clincher of the 2nd round over the Boston Bruins in May 1979. It was a all-time playoff performance from Leach who'd go on to win the Conn Smythe on the back of a 19 goal post season in spite of the Flyers being swept in the finals by the Habs.

Despite being among the greatest goal scorers of all time, neither Esposito not Neely never had a 5 goal game. It's a very rare accomplishment.

Johan Franzen had a five goal game in 2011, only the second in the salary cap era, but it was a mid-season game.

fawning deference posted:

Gaborik? Bobby Smith?

Gaborik was the first player to have a five goal game in the salary cap era, but again it came in mid-season in December 2007.

Bobby Smith never had a five goal game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There are two left. One is a Canadian franchise icon and the other is among the greatest players in league history but did it over a century ago so you can be forgiven for not getting him.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
dont tell me its someone ridiculous like wendel clark

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

dont tell me its someone ridiculous like wendel clark

Right franchise wrong player

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Sittler or Gilmour?

And uh, Morenz?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wendel Clark?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Sittler or Gilmour?

And uh, Morenz?

It is indeed Daryl Sittler who also managed a 5 goal game in the first round of the 1976 playoffs against Reggie Leach's Philadelphia Flyers. It's a bizarre fact that two of the five five goal playoff games in history came within two weeks of each other and the players who accomplished it faced off.

It was quite the season for Sittler who yet another five goal game that same season on February 7, 1976 against the Boston Bruins. For good measure Sittler would tack on another goal and four assists that evening for the NHL's first and only ten point game. It remains to this day the last time an NHL player scored six goals in a single game. The Leafs would carry that incredible play to a 4th place finish and a first round exit because some things never change.

The final 5 goal playoff game came courtesy of Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde, one of the NHL's first major stars playing on a line with Joe Malone and Didier "Cannonball" Pitre they were the first rendition of the flying Frenchmen. Lalonde tallied his five goal game against the (then) Ottawa Senators in 1919 securing an opportunity for his team to challenge the Seattle Metropolitans for the Stanley Cup in the process. They were poised to win that series when, for the first time in league history, the Stanley Cup was not awarded due to a massive outbreak of the Spanish flu among the Metropolitans.

That trio doesn't get much fanfare because they played so early in the league's history but they were true stars of the sport. Malone had the league's first five goal game in it's very first game. He also holds the record as the only player to score 7 goals in a game. Lalonde's five goal playoff game is all the more impressive when you consider that one year prior the league had changed the rules specifically to slow him down. Lalonde and Malone were scoring so much as they'd perfected snap shots just off the ice. Goalies weren't allowed to drop to their knees to make saves so they were getting worked. The league allowed goalies to drop for the first time, so Malone and Lalonde simply taught themselves to shoot high and kept scoring at the same rate.

Lalonde unofficially holds the third highest career PPG behind only Gretzky and Lemieux at 1.68ppg but sadly the NHL does not formally recognize stats from that era.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 30, 2023

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I appreciate the storytelling writeups, ThinkTank!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am a big nerd for early NHL history and I will never shy away from an opportunity to bore you all with my knowledge of it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
let's have a quick one and cause some psychic pain to certain fanbases.

last night, the Vegas Golden Knights became the sixth team from 2000-2023 to score at least 7 goals in a Stanley Cup Finals game. what were the other five occasions?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Devils put up 7 on the Stars in Game 1 in 2000. Also going to guess that the 2011 Bruins are on that list somewhere.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
didnt the avs just do it last year?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

corn on the cop posted:

Devils put up 7 on the Stars in Game 1 in 2000. Also going to guess that the 2011 Bruins are on that list somewhere.

Yeah those Bruins seem like a real good shout.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yeah those Bruins seem like a real good shout.

Luon8o

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Did the Ducks do it in 2007 in game 5 or 6 or whichever it was to end that series? I recall that had a few late goals (I think one very late by gently caress Corey Perry) to really make it more lopsided, but I don’t remember the exact score.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Bruins blew out the Blues a couple times but still lost lol

The Pens over Nashville had at least one big win, did they get to 7?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
yep, four out of the five teams have been named. Penguins never did it in their years though they did hang 6 on the aforementioned Nashville in 2017.

Devils vs. Stars, 7-3, 2000
?
Bruins vs. Canucks, 8-1, 2011
Bruins vs. Blues, 7-2, 2019
Avalanche vs. Lightning, 7-0, 2022

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Hawks did it against the Flyers in 2010 once I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The Bruins blew out the Blues a couple times but still lost lol

The Pens over Nashville had at least one big win, did they get to 7?

No. Game 5 vs Nashville was 6-0 iirc.

I went to that one. Best game I've ever gone to