Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are tons and tons of boss fights in the campaign

Wt1 might save you lots of time just cutting out boss hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

zoux posted:

What's "interesting" or "happening" during the endless map grind in PoE?

I'm not picking on you, I see this complaint a lot. I do think that seasons are going to solve a lot of this perception, but I still don't get what people are looking for

Naturally don't want to turn this into a poe discussion, but: building out your atlas tree, building up all the side content you specced into (like Alva temples, delve progression, heists, expeditions etc..), gathering mats for in depth gear crafting, the crafting itself, progressing the atlas towards the 7 pinacle bosses (14 if u wanna count ubers).

A lot of this is obvious bloat from a decade long development progress, and I'm confident D4 will be able to fill out at least some of these areas over time. I guess my criticism right now is that the void where this stuff is supposed to go later on is there. Its understandable but that doesnt make it less tangible to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

euphronius posted:

There are tons and tons of boss fights in the campaign

Wt1 might save you lots of time just cutting out boss hp

Yeah I tried WT2 in the beta and this was the biggest difference for me. I could hang in packs of mobs just fine but the boss fights dragged on forever. Playing the story at WT1 was breezy but still not always a complete cakewalk but it did gear me up enough to be able to finish the capstone dungeon at lvl 46 after beating the story.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Was all juiced up to get my first ancestral weapon, 800 item level and a huge DPS boost, but it's bugged somehow and can't be imprinted! I know there used to be a system in place where you can only imprint ancestral with ancestral aspects, same for sacred, but as far as I know that was removed? Bums me out but I can still make use of this for now anyway. I'd test with another aspect or one of the other lesser ancestrals I managed to grab, but as you can see the costs are a little prohibitive, for now anyway.

Wait did they really remove that?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm missing just hopping into games and doing [greater] rifts. Is there a way to just quickly play with other people somehow that doesn't involve discord or clan lfg

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Starting in WT2 assumes you layer a lot of good DPS increases sooner than your drops may make possible. I watch yellows for +close damage, got bonus damage vs healthy and injured passive and so on and have been putting diamonds in weapon slots to feed my poison imbue(which I 5/5'd) + rain of arrows "see an elite" combo.

Otherwise bosses are pretty chunky and you may need WT1 just to avoid dying to potion attrition.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Syrinxx posted:

I'm missing just hopping into games and doing [greater] rifts. Is there a way to just quickly play with other people somehow that doesn't involve discord or clan lfg

Nope, it's weird, they made an always online MMORPG-like Diablo but removed the benefit to that setup.

Tbh I'm sure it's in the pipeline.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I found most of the bosses to be easier than some of the elite packs ive seen tbh. The bosses you can dodge and poo poo and have predictable mechanics. The elite packs have ganked me before tho

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Made it to lvl 23 on my Rogue and I think it's finally starting to click with me after I got shadow imbuement to blow up mobs with some decent AOE, something I was struggling to do efficiently before. It's no exploding palm + seven sided strike and it sucks that it's on a 10+ second cool down but it's good enough. Has anyone tried a hybrid Rogue with both ranged/melee with success? I'd like to be able to use my bow besides being a stat buff for show.

I'm surprised I'm getting weapon drops for other classes every so often though, has Blizzard learned nothing from Loot 2.0 in D3? I'm also assuming it's not really worth going out of your way to do every codex of power dungeon if it's not applicable to your class?

Loot 2.0, instanced loot, and soulbound / account bound mechanics are stupid and should not be in games.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

SettingSun posted:

The barbarian's walking arsenal system is very intriguing to me, but maxroll doesn't seem to have a build that shines a spotlight on it. There are a bunch of passives and skills that utilize all 3 weapon types and give bonuses for swapping around. I wonder if I can piece something interesting together or is the lack of an existing build a sign that the idea isn't very powerful.

it feels like going all in on swaps while leveling is bad since you inevitably get some cool mega drop and some of your other weapons fall behind. I think those category skills'll feel better once you're no longer getting crazy basic upgrades and have a complete arsenal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doomykins posted:

Starting in WT2 assumes you layer a lot of good DPS increases sooner than your drops may make possible. I watch yellows for +close damage, got bonus damage vs healthy and injured passive and so on and have been putting diamonds in weapon slots to feed my poison imbue(which I 5/5'd) + rain of arrows "see an elite" combo.

Otherwise bosses are pretty chunky and you may need WT1 just to avoid dying to potion attrition.

Maybe Necro is just easy mode but I've barely been paying attention to my stats other than big ones like legendaries and not stacking Strength and I'm about to do the final boss. Some bosses need some kiting and I won't pretend I never die but it's not like I've been minmaxing for WT2

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

I found most of the bosses to be easier than some of the elite packs ive seen tbh. The bosses you can dodge and poo poo and have predictable mechanics. The elite packs have ganked me before tho

My nostalgia for early D3 where you had to guess where an elite arcane laser was going to fire and if it fired at you, you would near instantly die.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Wait did they really remove that?

As far as I know, yes. Either way, the message that the item can't be imprinted doesn't make any sense. Back to the mines with me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Most of my deaths have come from Leaping into a huge pack of dudes and either being perfectly fine or somehow emptying my health so fast I don't even have time to register whats going on, then Leaping into that same pack again and it all working out just fine with no adjustments to my tactics.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Caidin posted:

Most of my deaths have come from Leaping into a huge pack of dudes and either being perfectly fine or somehow emptying my health so fast I don't even have time to register whats going on, then Leaping into that same pack again and it all working out just fine with no adjustments to my tactics.

Probably poison or something similar and it didn't trigger the second time. Happens all the time. Elemental effects are crazy dangerous.

The explodey fuckers are especially bad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SettingSun posted:

The barbarian's walking arsenal system is very intriguing to me, but maxroll doesn't seem to have a build that shines a spotlight on it. There are a bunch of passives and skills that utilize all 3 weapon types and give bonuses for swapping around. I wonder if I can piece something interesting together or is the lack of an existing build a sign that the idea isn't very powerful.

I'm currently running a build more or less like that (albeit only at level 30 so far), and it's working out quite decently at WT2. Frenzy for the dual wield, Rend for the 2H slashing, Death Blow for the 2H bludgeoning (provided you got one with more damage than your 2H slashing), pick whatever defensive and brawling to taste. I like Kick because it's hilarious, and being able to inflict vulnerable at will is quite useful. It's not particularly synergetic outside of the weapon-swap passives, but Frenzy generates Fury nice and quick while keeping you alive, while Rend is a very good damage dealer. I do wish there was a way to set "always use this arsenal weapon for this skill" though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

Like random people? It's easy as hell to just hop in your friend'a game and kill poo poo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the main thing I would like is some sort of Paladin class and a dot-focused class. Yes yes I know there's a few options, but I want some serious damage over time shenanigans.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kaddish posted:

Probably poison or something similar and it didn't trigger the second time. Happens all the time. Elemental effects are crazy dangerous.

The explodey fuckers are especially bad.

Poison is completely nasty, and the way bandit backstabby guys can stealth in and plant a fat stack on you(I think they're the ones doing it anyway) is nuts.

Bandits are actually typically ruder to fight then cultists and the forces of hell itself, actually. Almost as mean as boars.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Going through each region to get the renown rewards. Nearly done with the last. I really like how the sidequests flesh out the world and tie in player experience as well. Two in Hawezar I especially enjoyed involve D3's Scoundrel and the priest from the D4 opening video. Rather good!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vasudus posted:

I think the main thing I would like is some sort of Paladin class and a dot-focused class. Yes yes I know there's a few options, but I want some serious damage over time shenanigans.

I mean the poison shred build for druid is very much this. Just stacks of poison on everything around me at all times while dashing through all of them with shred, dealing massive crits to bosses while detonating the poison stacks every time I do it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Seasons are coming next month so if you’re getting bored you may want to put the game aside until then.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I do wish there was a way to set "always use this arsenal weapon for this skill" though.

There is! You can force any skill that can use any weapon type to specifically use one by hitting mouse3 in the 's' menu for it.

E:

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 7, 2023

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

isk posted:

Going through each region to get the renown rewards. Nearly done with the last. I really like how the sidequests flesh out the world and tie in player experience as well. Two in Hawezar I especially enjoyed involve D3's Scoundrel and the priest from the D4 opening video. Rather good!

Yep I'm going through all the side content now after hitting 50 and really enjoying the side quests.

i'm glad i saved them for post-campaign now i can go through them at my leisure without feeling like i should be doing the campaign instead

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Definitely awaiting my favorite ARPG archetype skill - a lot of floating hammers.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm confused about people's expectation for this game: Diablo is a franchise about endlessly grinding for better gear so you can continue the endless grind. That's the game. What is waiting for you is more of this game.

D3 hyper streamlined that loop and people still hate it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

explosivo posted:

I mean the poison shred build for druid is very much this. Just stacks of poison on everything around me at all times while dashing through all of them with shred, dealing massive crits to bosses while detonating the poison stacks every time I do it.

I might give this a try.

Right now (level ~34) I'm using a Storm Strike/Pulverize build, but it's a bit different from what I've seen other people use, in that I'm using Hurricane and Ravens as my supplementary DPS skills. I've taken the talents that stack and exploit Vulnerable on storm damage, and it works pretty well against trash... but bosses and chunky elites take a long time to kill.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

zoux posted:

What's "interesting" or "happening" during the endless map grind in PoE?

I'm not picking on you, I see this complaint a lot. I do think that seasons are going to solve a lot of this perception, but I still don't get what people are looking for

When you hit endgame you spend a lot of time progressing through the various tiers of maps and unlocking atlas passives, which are a great way to specialize in content that you like to do. In the meantime you're earning currency (if you're in trade league) or banking various crafting mats (if you're in ssf) to get better gear, while also leveling your character. You can slowly feel yourself getting stronger while also being able to juice your maps with more and more interesting stuff as you go.

In D4 most of your gearing is going to be hoping you either get a "perfect" drop or gambling on enchanting affixes on an item that has, say 2 of the 3 you need. This requires a lot of gold so you'll mostly just be vendoring a lot of trash to accomplish this.

It's hard to really put into words though. Like, I feel like from levels, idk 53 to 63, where I am now, my character didn't progress that much (while also progressing slower than I would at a similar stage in PoE). Once I stopped getting sacred gear upgrades and have my aspects aligned it is really rare to get any kind of upgrade, and most of the paragon points are just +5 to a stat which isn't particularly engaging. Meanwhile enemies still sort of scale with you which can make it hard to feel like you're getting ahead. (That is not to say that you can't fight harder stuff, or that the enemies are too hard in the first place, just that it feels very treadmill-y.)

I'm mostly interested in seeing how the first D4 season functions. A lot of the fun in PoE is playing whatever the league mechanic is, which either allows you to get interesting new gear or at least gets you the currency to trade other people for said gear, while typically giving you a bunch of extra monsters to murder.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Pylons posted:

Definitely awaiting my favorite ARPG archetype skill - a lot of floating hammers.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vasudus posted:

Corpse Explosion with miasma and darkness skills are dot focused and feel good. Things literally just melt

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I legitimately feel bad for the monsters now:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a guy in Bandit groups, Slicer, who stealths and then backstabs you for huge burst plus some poison on top.

Been real fascinating how many jerks I've been tallying to be aware of for HC. The traps are pretty nasty and blend in well with the art style too.

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

As far as I know, yes. Either way, the message that the item can't be imprinted doesn't make any sense. Back to the mines with me.

Fwiw I ran into this yesterday and went searching; some folks are saying you can imprint a regular aspect onto a sacred rare, but there is a bug with the amount of gold required, and you need 4x in your bag over the quoted amount. Haven't verified as I haven't farmed up additional gold (source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/this-item-cannot-have-aspects-imprinted-on-it/32842/11)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've seen ten of the exact same generic legendary (ie. not class-specific) in the last couple of days, and not one of the few class-specific ones I want.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

SettingSun posted:

Learned today that quest progress is only saved periodically so if you quit at an inopportune time the game will roll back your quest progress a bit. Actually, I experienced this twice because I experienced a bug in Act 3 crossing the desert where the quest wouldn't progress while in one of safe zones. When I relogged the game I had to restart the whole quest leg. :mad:

I think that's just a bug. I had a quest step reset on me without any logout or anything, it just didn't bother saving that I finished it and made me redo it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Dameius posted:

D3 hyper streamlined that loop and people still hate it.

If there is a thing I don't love about D4 it's that I'm like 25 hours in at level 53 and can't just melt whole rooms of dudes at once with any regularity. In D3 I'd be rocking in GR 100+ by this point, but I remember back in the beginning where it was very slow also.

Every ARPG game they want to make the combat have mechanics and be hard and then slowly realize people just want to fill the screen with explosions and collect better and better loot faster and faster.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is there any other decent source of gold besides vendoring items?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

J posted:

That seems to be it. Can't just auto-salvage like in D3.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

J posted:

If there is, I haven't found one yet. FWIW once you get past 40 the gold flows from vendoring. I have nearly 20m gold along with tons of (most) crafting mats. A full inventory of vendor trash is like 300k-400k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I noticed after the campaign and hitting WT3 the xp gains basically bottomed out. I would get basically a level of XP completing a dungeon during the campaign to doing 5 Nightmare dungeons and not even getting half way. I have done a poo poo load of content since finishing the end game and haven’t even got 8 levels yet.

And yeah they need to do a tuning balance on some of the damage. The exploding feels tuned way too high as does fire and poison. I have been one shot by the fireball things after killing mobs from full health with plenty of resist. The wasps attacks are also particularly bad since you have to eat several attacks if you are melee to kill them. Like I want some challenge but it doesn’t feel good when you are taking on a mob and they instagib you before you have a chance to even react. I haven’t had any real trouble with bosses but man some of the regular mobs are just a giant pain in the rear end to deal with.