Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also make sure you're checking the journal without the -p flag, usually its a handy filter but not all applications / drivers etc utilize the journal effectively so it could just be a generic message in the journal. You can also check /var/log and ~/.local/share/xorg for other logs. Since you're using nvidia i guess your on X11 (as opposed the newer but unfinished wayland), there are a whole host of archaic and weird issues that might go wrong with nvidia and the rest of the system, usually it should be fine but if you have no other obvious errors try checking xorg (and/or just rolling back your display drivers)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xorg#General

I'll also say a full system lockup is pretty unusual and unfortunate your experiencing it as a new user, usually theres some lovely hardware driver causing it, but i cant remember the last time i had to deal with one. Granted i dont mess with laptops which is a poo poo show from the grape vine but :shrug:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Since you're using nvidia i guess your on X11 (as opposed the newer but unfinished wayland),

Yeah pop_os is with X since they do nvidia in their laptops and nvidia is still a bit sketchy for wayland.

Mr. Crow posted:

I'll also say a full system lockup is pretty unusual and unfortunate your experiencing it as a new user, usually theres some lovely hardware driver causing it, but i cant remember the last time i had to deal with one.

Chrome (running via xwayland with video decode accel) was giving me something close. If I caught it right away and slammed ctrl-alt-Fkey to get to a text console I could semi-recover by killing stuff. But if I wasn't fast the system wouldn't respond to local input. Never bothered trying to ssh in remotely, :effort:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so far 5 hours without a single event, though it was just idling.

I don't see anything stand out as being relevant on xorg logs or xorg.old logs, except one error about my aerox 3 wireless taking too long, saying my system is too slow, but that's not around any other error.

I see some errors due to me unplugging and replugging bluetooth but nothing really related to suddenly freezing while I was downloading steam stuff and watching a youtube

I'll try to test it with downloading and see where that gets me again

edit: knock on wood, i haven't had a freeze in 20 hours, watch me freeze after posting this tho

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 7, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Crow posted:

Fedora (KDE) will be the most like windows 7 (e.g. the last good windows)
I main KDE Plasma on fully six PCs in this house. It rules.

On the hard locking issue: I had that when I first installed and it turned out to be the nVidia drivers. I don't remember if it was using 1st or 3rd party drivers, but I had to switch and then it stopped. Seconding driver issue.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

so far 5 hours without a single event, though it was just idling.

I don't see anything stand out as being relevant on xorg logs or xorg.old logs, except one error about my aerox 3 wireless taking too long, saying my system is too slow, but that's not around any other error.

I see some errors due to me unplugging and replugging bluetooth but nothing really related to suddenly freezing while I was downloading steam stuff and watching a youtube

I'll try to test it with downloading and see where that gets me again

edit: knock on wood, i haven't had a freeze in 20 hours, watch me freeze after posting this tho
Hi hi I was getting random head locks on arch during usage not idle too.

Two things fixed it..

I stopped using Vivaldi

I replaced my Motherboard. (the USB hubs kept failing and goint up and down which sounds like the issue you're having too with the Bluetooth USB device)

I had the same motherboard too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's a ton of things random lockups can be caused by. Bad hardware, for instance, RAM returning bad bits after idling in suspend for a while, the CPU doing bad math because its transistors are hosed, even the PSU aging and failing to provide the needed voltage or amps for a power surge at start up.

A one-off event isn't usually a huge deal unless its accompanied by really bad looking logs like kernel panics or the like. It's possible that an application can be just badly written or encounter really unlikely circumstances that combine to a lockup unanticipated by the dev. If it doesn't repeat I woudn't worry about it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's a ton of things random lockups can be caused by. Bad hardware, for instance, RAM returning bad bits after idling in suspend for a while, the CPU doing bad math because its transistors are hosed, even the PSU aging and failing to provide the needed voltage or amps for a power surge at start up.

True, but many people ITT were running Windows successfully on their PC before doing linux. I would assume that a PC that is totally stable in Windows but has hard locks in Linux is not suffering from bad hardware.

It might be hardware-related in that the drivers for Linux are complete poo poo or have incompatibilities with the rest of the stack, but not bad per se.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think the only change since last time is me not using this bt5.3 device, which has an ATS2851 chipset instead of broadcom or realtek. Could have been causing the system to crash i guess

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Klyith posted:

I would assume that a PC that is totally stable in Windows but has hard locks in Linux is not suffering from bad hardware.
It's entirely possible for bad hardware to be tickled in ways by Linux that it isn't by Windows, and yet it's not due to a "bug" in any Linux driver.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My experience with pop os has been far more stable than my experience with any variety of windows. A similar number of problems, but the key difference is problems stay fixed in Linux. However I did cheat and get an AMD graphics card to sidestep NVIDIA driver issues.

How close is fedora to Debian? Part of the appeal of pop os is it's basically Ubuntu except without the snap nonsense, and Ubuntu has extremely good resources, which are generally applicable to any Debian based distro. This is very helpful for me because I'm still pretty new to Linux

Splode fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 7, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is imwheel the only way to increase the molasses speed of the scroll wheel? I have it up to 4 or 5 now to be usable, but you have to configure it to not to mess with the back/forward buttons on the mouse too. it's so weird to me that something like this isn't a standard feature you can manipulate without mucking around with bash scripts and the terminal :cmon:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's entirely possible for bad hardware to be tickled in ways by Linux that it isn't by Windows, and yet it's not due to a "bug" in any Linux driver.

Anything's possible. How likely is that though? If you had a PC that was 100% stable in Windows and was not so in Linux, would you spend your time doing hardware diagnostics and swapping out the PSU?

And if you saw the contra example, someone had a machine that was stable in Linux but their Windows dual-boot was crashing, would you think the same and start looking at hardware? Or would you think Windows is naturally failure prone, so it's probably the OS.

Like, in the context we just went through with GreenBuckanneer you'd have to be stupid to start with hardware failure. The fact is linux has plenty of bad drivers for semi-supported hardware, particularly new stuff. Frankly it's a miracle that the community manages to support as much hardware as they do. Even when it takes a few years.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is imwheel the only way to increase the molasses speed of the scroll wheel? I have it up to 4 or 5 now to be usable, but you have to configure it to not to mess with the back/forward buttons on the mouse too. it's so weird to me that something like this isn't a standard feature you can manipulate without mucking around with bash scripts and the terminal :cmon:

Gnome is pathologically adverse to user settings.

KDE has mouse scroll settings, but even on KDE it doesn't hit all programs. For chrome browsers you need to install this extension.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 7, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I mean, besides my 3070/5600x which are what, two years old? most of the rest of this hardware is pretty bog standard. 720p microsoft lifecam camera, aerox 3 wireless, a wireless 2.4ghz mech keyboard, a condenser mic, two monitors, a few internal ssds, m.2 on the mobo, an external dell dvd reader, some usb hubs 2.0/3.0, wireless headphones. Nothing about this setup is really weird (to me) and besides the 5.3 BT I was trying to use that was some cheap chinese device with an unfamiliar chipset to linux, 99% of everything else is brand name.

Certainly, it could be possible there is something wrong with the m.2 but, I haven't seen a single nvme entry in any of these logs, which if it was that (the only piece of hardware that's "different" than my windows 10 install was, which was pretty rock solid with no faults) I should have seen something (especially since some people who were getting freezing with popos mentioned at least one or two entries related to the nvme, insinuating some conflict between the linux kernel and m.2.)

But yeah my vote is more on some sort of "bug", regardless of which developer would consider it a bug, the effect to the end user is still an unexpected unintentional action.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Klyith posted:

Anything's possible. How likely is that though? If you had a PC that was 100% stable in Windows and was not so in Linux, would you spend your time doing hardware diagnostics and swapping out the PSU?
If I wanted to run Linux on it, yes, I would. Because the issue is either bad hardware or a buggy driver, but at least isolating the cause to the hardware or driver relevant gives you more information to work with to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

Also, rarely does Linux "hard lock" in my experience although I don't play around with Nvidia GPUs/nouveau. At least you get a panic message with a backtrace or BUG() that suggests a culprit.

The last time I did have a Linux machine hard lock it turned out to be due to an Intel microcode bug on a new processor stepping that was only tickled by a particular Linux driver for a PCIe peripheral card. I knew the card wasn't bad because it worked in other machines with the same driver. I didn't personally try Windows on it, but my understanding is that there were no reports of the issue from Windows users. The issue came down to Linux tickling the PCIe controller in ways that Windows didn't, which triggered the microcode issue. Unfortunately it took months for the card vendor to work with Intel and get issue to issue a fix. If you read the errata for Intel firmware updates though you'll see that in the grand-scheme these things do happen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Since we’re on bugs, a minor but annoying bug I’ve noticed with popOS is that upon restart of the computer, volume will be at what feels like 100%. When I reduce the volume using the keyboard shortcut, it goes down to 50%, which leads me to think it remembers being set at 50%, but until I “remind” it to tone it down, it’s playing at much higher volume?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Splode posted:

My experience with pop os has been far more stable than my experience with any variety of windows. A similar number of problems, but the key difference is problems stay fixed in Linux. However I did cheat and get an AMD graphics card to sidestep NVIDIA driver issues.

How close is fedora to Debian? Part of the appeal of pop os is it's basically Ubuntu except without the snap nonsense, and Ubuntu has extremely good resources, which are generally applicable to any Debian based distro. This is very helpful for me because I'm still pretty new to Linux

Fedora is probably more cutting edge than Debian. Debian is on a... 2ish year release cycle with maintenance updates between. Fedora is on a 6 month major release cycle. It also provides kernel updates during the maintenance period, so you really aren't at risk at having new hardware not work or work poorly.

Fedora is much stricter about only have open source stuff built in to their official stuff, though they've been shifting lately to allowing for easier one click toggles to install non-open source applications or drivers post-install. I've not really had much issue finding how-to's for Fedora. It's got a pretty large and active user base, and the Red Hat tutorials are generally applicable to Fedora stuff even if they are usually downstream of the Fedora versions.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

buglord posted:

Since we’re on bugs, a minor but annoying bug I’ve noticed with popOS is that upon restart of the computer, volume will be at what feels like 100%. When I reduce the volume using the keyboard shortcut, it goes down to 50%, which leads me to think it remembers being set at 50%, but until I “remind” it to tone it down, it’s playing at much higher volume?

Wild guess you're using pulse audio?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That has caused me issues in the past, yes. What exactly is it and can I switch to something else? Or is it something I have to have based on my motherboard drivers?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

That has caused me issues in the past, yes. What exactly is it and can I switch to something else? Or is it something I have to have based on my motherboard drivers?

Pipewire is the new audio server / system mixer / multimedia framework that's currently replacing Pulse Audio across most linux distros. (Because this time they'll get it right™.)

PopOS default switched to pipewire in 22.04, which came out at the end of April. So if you haven't upgraded your pop install, you could do that. OTOH if you're already upgraded you might have something with a hard dependency on pulse?

All of these are totally driver agnostic.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pop os switched to pipewire recently, which is great because pulse audio is dogshit

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

buglord posted:

See if you can switch to pipewire its significantly better, your distro should have instructions and all the major distros should have it at this point if not default to it (but probably only at install).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Once I switched to pipewire I never had audio problems again on Linux. I'm sure there's bugs, but evidently far fewer of them.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have a problem I hoped would be fixed by pipewire but, sadly, same thing. It's one of those problems that comes from using it in a weird way though I think and will hopefully not matter soon enough.

I use KDE, this is my Debian Sid machine (stable has the same problem though.) Half the time the HDMI output goes to a receiver with a 5.1 setup. So I use the HDMI 5.1 profile no problem. Sometimes though I switch it to going to a HDMI to composite adapter that goes out to a PVM, and then it switches to stereo.

But then I switch back to the 5.1 audio, the profile for 5.1 is gone, there's no way to switch it to anything but stereo. A reboot fixes it.

And then sometimes this problem doesn't happen at all so I have no idea.

Don't care too much because hopefully soon I'll be replacing this with a leftover parts build that can be plugged into both at the same time, which I'm sure will create a whole bunch of new, worse, more exciting problems.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Audio on Linux is loving awful.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Dead Goon posted:

:emptyquote:

Edit: It really is.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Windows 10 forced some stupid "audio enhancement" setting on me the other day that made all my music weirdly loud and temporarily turned it down whenever I got a notification. (Work computer where I must suffer windows). I had to go digging around the settings to turn it back off. I also have a persistent problem where every windows update it resets the sample rate settings for my audio interface, causing it to not work properly.

I did have some weird problems with pulse audio, but pipewire has been totally problem free for me, so where I'm sitting Linux audio seems pretty good

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Splode posted:

Windows 10 forced some stupid "audio enhancement" setting on me the other day that made all my music weirdly loud and temporarily turned it down whenever I got a notification. (Work computer where I must suffer windows). I had to go digging around the settings to turn it back off. I also have a persistent problem where every windows update it resets the sample rate settings for my audio interface, causing it to not work properly.

I did have some weird problems with pulse audio, but pipewire has been totally problem free for me, so where I'm sitting Linux audio seems pretty good
I find it's largely dependent on what kind of audio hardware you system has. Many of the Intel HDA audio devices are pretty decent as far as Pulse support goes, but other audio controllers are absolute junk.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does Linux have a mixer in Gnome? Like the windows audio mixer

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
No, but this is good

https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does Linux have a mixer in Gnome? Like the windows audio mixer

If you mean per-application volume control, then, yes, Linux/GNOME has had that built-in for longer than Windows. Sound in Settings or the separate Volume Control (pavucontrol) program will show every application playing sound and let you control them independently.

If you're asking for an easily accessible system tray per-application volume control, then, no. There was a GNOME Shell extension that did that, but GNOME Shell extensions are made by monkeypatchinng JavaScript and that breaks with every new version of GNOME Shell and the extension author abandoned the project.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yes it was the latter

Sigh

Edit wait a second, this one was updated last year, and one comment from April says it works at 22.04 LTS

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/3499/application-volume-mixer/

I can't find one that is a mixer and an audio switcher in one, however. Bummer.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 8, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Goon posted:

thank god there's better alternatives for audio like

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

I haven't tried that one but I like JamesDSP - https://github.com/Audio4Linux/JDSP4Linux

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Truga posted:

thank god there's better alternatives for audio like
JACK is good. The problem is you either need a Pulse sink or shim to get applications working with it or they need to support it directly. Also it has way more knobs than should really be exposed to a user, but that's because it's designed for low latency audio applications.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I don't think I've had a single audio issue among a dozen wildly different machines after i got them on pipewire.

Get away from pulse, and Just Use Pipewire.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I know the whole Linux has bad sound support is a thing. But I have not had any sound related issues since the days of OSS. That is through a variety of hardware etc.

The Odd One
Dec 5, 2011

Stpuid

Varkk posted:

I know the whole Linux has bad sound support is a thing. But I have not had any sound related issues since the days of OSS. That is through a variety of hardware etc.

A lot of the issues come from people using ALSA with pulse I think. Bad arch installs, etc. User error.

I used to get popping like 10 years ago, but sound hasn't been much of an issue these days.

Proton has made gaming on Linux idiot proof in my opinion.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

A guy I am pretty confident is doing things right had some measurable Bluetooth audio quality issues (like, he did measure it, I'm no expert on that but there were comparisons of frequencies and stuff) that, if I remember right, were fixed by going to pipewire.

With pulse though was a major annoyance to him. And, that's not really niche but it's far enough from "plug speaker in computer" that it makes sense.

I imagine it's also the kind of thing you hear and most people think " oh, well it works" (and probably for the devs too) until you got expensive headphones and start to notice the difference when they're connected to the Linux machine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrainDance posted:

A guy I am pretty confident is doing things right had some measurable Bluetooth audio quality issues (like, he did measure it, I'm no expert on that but there were comparisons of frequencies and stuff) that, if I remember right, were fixed by going to pipewire.

With pulse though was a major annoyance to him. And, that's not really niche but it's far enough from "plug speaker in computer" that it makes sense.

I imagine it's also the kind of thing you hear and most people think " oh, well it works" (and probably for the devs too) until you got expensive headphones and start to notice the difference when they're connected to the Linux machine

Bluetooth audio has a whole extra can of worms because you need a compression codec to fit audio into the BT bandwidth. Depending on the bitrate negotiated by the hardware, your distro's stance on non-free codec standards, and what settings get auto-picked you can get something that sounds obviously awful. TBQH the distro is actually the biggest potential offender, because if they're zealots about patent-encumbered codecs and build bluez using only SBC you're hosed.

I don't think pipewire really fixes those problems on its own, but it may be much better at picking a good default codec. And at the very least it seems way better at surfacing the information, so if you happen to click a dropdown you'll see that you're in SBC duplex mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And if you're going to use a bluetooth microphone it will suck regardless, because duplex audio is an entirely different beast.

e: and leaving out the patented codecs isn't "zealotry", it is a legal requirement.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 11, 2023