Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvXuyITwBI

Marques Brownlee got to try one for half an hour. He seems to have a very even handed and fair take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

SlowBloke posted:

Having experienced a hololens2 trying to run applications designed for conventional windows computers, casting the screen isn't a dumb idea.

It just makes it less interesting. If I'm mainly to going to buy one for working and all it provides for that is the same virtual desktop support as any other headset that I can get for a fraction of the price why do I need all that compute power? Why do I need cameras to capture hand gestures? If it had tighter integration with MacOS it would be a much bigger step above competitors. Or if it had a full featured OS that can do everything MacOS can do.

Probably the reality is that email/meetings/spreadsheets covers the needs of a lot of the kinds of people that would buy this and so it doesn't matter if software developers can't use it as a standalone work machine.

Right now I just don't think this replaces anything the way the iPhone so clearly replaced MP3 player + phone + PDA, but after 10ish years iPad started becoming a genuine computer replacement for a lot of people so these things just take time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone know how the images are going to get to the VPro? Is it over wifi?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One other thought: Apple kinda missed the boat originally with the Apple Watch and that it would become a huge health and fitness device and I wonder if there's a similar path here with the Vision Pro. During the height of COVID I was getting a ton of exercise playing Thrill of the Fight on my Oculus, and there's a lot of other fitness apps in that ecosystem. VR/AR can make a boring workout pretty fun. Maybe the Vision Pro is too heavy though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grassy Knowles posted:

Reinventing light rail in the office complex but instead of trains its powering people wearing these and now everyone walks a mostly-defined path like an IRL Killer 7

Do you get to the cloud district very often? Oh what am I saying, of course you don't!

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

prom candy posted:

One other thought: Apple kinda missed the boat originally with the Apple Watch and that it would become a huge health and fitness device

i hear things like this often but it's not true. health and fitness was one of the three headline features of the original watch announcement, promo videos and advertisements. they overemphasised third-party apps though, given the low powered-hardware and the limited SDK at launch

Robot Jones
Nov 12, 2016

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

It was a mistake to not release the Mac Pro with PCIe Gen 5 and CXL support.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have vertigo and will never be able to wear AR/VR goggles so I need the rest of you to each shell out for a pair and let me know what it's like.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The live iOS-style desktop widgets in Sonoma are pretty nice - we're finally coming to the culmination of their work with Universal apps bringing better functionality between the two OSes. While many users are fine keeping their laptop and iPhone apps entirely separate, one of the things I look for when buying a new app on either platform is whether or not it's a Universal app and if it supports iCloud syncing.

Apps like PastePal, Parcel, and Fantastical already support macOS widgets, and I'm eager to see what features they bring to live widgets in iOS 17.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Corb3t posted:

The live iOS-style desktop widgets in Sonoma are pretty nice - we're finally coming to the culmination of their work with Universal apps bringing better functionality between the two OSes. While many users are fine keeping their laptop and iPhone apps entirely separate, one of the things I look for when buying a new app on either platform is whether or not it's a Universal app and if it supports iCloud syncing.

Apps like PastePal, Parcel, and Fantastical already support macOS widgets, and I'm eager to see what features they bring to live widgets in iOS 17.

Desktop widgets should be nice, but I have a hard time not having all of my windows maximize any free space so never see the desktop except for a small band to the left and right of the dock

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

anothergod posted:

Does anyone know how the images are going to get to the VPro? Is it over wifi?

3.5" floppy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hadlock posted:

3.5" floppy

Remember how angry people got that the og imacs only had disc drives

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A big part of the $3500 cost is the factory they had to spin up to start making the drives and disks again. That's what's at the end of the cord (along with the battery) and why the cord is so thick, parallel port disk drives have a ton of wires

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:imunfunny:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The data would never fit on a floppy, they're using SuperDisk drives

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I remember when people were PISSED when the iMac ditched the Disc drive. Also when the 1998 iMac ditched the floppy. gently caress I’m getting old. :smith:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hadlock posted:

A big part of the $3500 cost is the factory they had to spin up to start making the drives and disks again. That's what's at the end of the cord (along with the battery) and why the cord is so thick, parallel port disk drives have a ton of wires

A lot of the same commentators skeptical of the floppy drive approach are also the ones skeptical of the iPad, Apple Watch, etc. We’ll loving see

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Apple's product line makes me so angry :argh: I want to replace my old rMBP which has an SDXC slot and my aging Mac mini which does not with a single computer with an SDXC slot, but they all start at $2,000. :smith:

Base Refurbished m1 14 pro for $1545 or something is the best overall deal on the website. Or a new one from Costco for I think $1599.

And you can get crazy deals on m1 and m2 mini, and a dock with front facing ports for under a $100

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LionArcher posted:

Base Refurbished m1 14 pro for $1545 or something is the best overall deal on the website. Or a new one from Costco for I think $1599.

And you can get crazy deals on m1 and m2 mini, and a dock with front facing ports for under a $100

warning, that common dock with the ports and slots (Satechi branded) really sucks. I had 3 of them (through refund/exchanges) and they all had the same problem of constantly disconnecting/reconnecting, no matter which thunderbolt port I had them plugged into. I've had a lot more luck with (unfortunately) a good old fashioned dongle.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I’ve bought a few things from Satechi, and almost all of them have failed, so at this point, I’d never recommend anything they make to anyone.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GutBomb posted:

warning, that common dock with the ports and slots (Satechi branded) really sucks. I had 3 of them (through refund/exchanges) and they all had the same problem of constantly disconnecting/reconnecting, no matter which thunderbolt port I had them plugged into. I've had a lot more luck with (unfortunately) a good old fashioned dongle.

Didn’t know that about those docks, but the point about price and the 14 inch pro price remains

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find it pretty funny that the desktop widgets are the latest brand new technology that's a reinvention of the 10.4 Dashboard.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve noticed a very slight “click” noise that’s been happening from time to time on my M2 MBP, seems to be happening around the back leftish area of the machine. Given they’re the only moving parts in the machine the fan(s) is the likely culprit here, correct? I need to get a way to measure temps/fan speed and see if it syncs up to the fans spinning up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warbird posted:

I’ve noticed a very slight “click” noise that’s been happening from time to time on my M2 MBP, seems to be happening around the back leftish area of the machine. Given they’re the only moving parts in the machine the fan(s) is the likely culprit here, correct? I need to get a way to measure temps/fan speed and see if it syncs up to the fans spinning up.

Activity Monitor. Heat and therefor fan activity scales with CPU utilization. Sort the list by CPU activity and you 'll be able to follow the thermal history. The Energy Usage tab gives similar data, but you'll want to hear clicks and look to see how busy the CPU is.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Looking at grabbing a new studio, there’s no hardware in anyone’s hands yet to check if the whistling has been fixed yet right?

Likely the day before it’s released to market?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Yeast posted:

Looking at grabbing a new studio, there’s no hardware in anyone’s hands yet to check if the whistling has been fixed yet right?

Likely the day before it’s released to market?

What whistling is that? I own a studio and I’ve never had an issue.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Lord Bude posted:

What whistling is that? I own a studio and I’ve never had an issue.

https://basicappleguy.com/basicappleblog/the-case-of-the-singing-studio

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/04/28/mac-studio-high-pitched-noise/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacStudio/comments/vs0wgt/my_mac_studio_whine_story_high_pitched_fan_noise/

Long story short, not everyone can hear it, (I can) and you can technically fix it by electrical taping some of the vent holes on the back, but that's less than ideal.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In my experience if the fan in the studio reaches audible levels it means you haven’t dusted the air intakes recently enough. When the air intakes are clean I can’t hear my fan even when gaming.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Might replace my M1 MBP with the big air. Don’t need a hugely powerful laptop but the bigger screen would be nice.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
But you lose miniled and 120Hz. I wouldnt trade those off tbh.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Having an HDMI and SD card slot built in is very convenient too, I haven’t used a dongle in months! Dongle hell is over

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so used to using external readers from CF, CFast, XQD, CFexpress, etc ad nauseum that I forget to use the SD card reader in my pro most of the time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol at spending ~$1600 on a 13” MacBook Air when ~$1700 will get you the same 16gb/512gb in a 14” Pro with so much more in every single other category, and lmao at complaining about this thread “having a problem with always upselling people” or whatever to a way better value computer

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don’t have a fancy pro I have like the 13 inch pro with the base M1 chip

Also the 14 inch M2 here starts at 2150 so, unless I wait till official refurbs

edit: hmm they do now have the base 14 inch on the refurb store for about what I’d pay for the 15 inch air….

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 7, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

In my experience if the fan in the studio reaches audible levels it means you haven’t dusted the air intakes recently enough. When the air intakes are clean I can’t hear my fan even when gaming.

There’s a little acrylic/plexiglass riser with integrated mesh filter available for the Studios, that seems to be pretty decent. Some probably would hate the aesthetic impact, but to me it’d kinda make it a little similar to the hallowed G4 Cube.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

There’s a little acrylic/plexiglass riser with integrated mesh filter available for the Studios, that seems to be pretty decent. Some probably would hate the aesthetic impact, but to me it’d kinda make it a little similar to the hallowed G4 Cube.

The air intake of the studio is actually really well filtered, it’s just the dust ends up trapped there until it becomes a thick, matted impenetrable layer - you then lift the studio up and you can peel the whole thing off in a ring.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

The air intake of the studio is actually really well filtered, it’s just the dust ends up trapped there until it becomes a thick, matted impenetrable layer - you then lift the studio up and you can peel the whole thing off in a ring.

Eh, I tried out (and returned) a Studio, and the bottom metal grate is still fairly coarse. I played around with using a finer mesh fabric that I’d used on PC case intakes versus the Studio’s default screen, and the finer mesh definitely took out more, at the cost of only about a 1-1.5 degree C increase.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple created a Proton-like tool to make porting games to MacOS easier.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, someone got D4 installed; I’m going to see if I can get it installed tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, someone got D4 installed; I’m going to see if I can get it installed tonight.

How would I go about trying to do this lol