Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
liberated fishing town with rock man friend, bird boy and a robot cannon. the combat is a clusterfuck but an enjoyable one. I know there are people who play this like dark souls but for me it's the anti dark souls where the goal is to never interact with the enemies timings at all. It also helps that you can avoid most attacks by just running the gently caress away. I don't think I even know where the dodge button is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i think the biggest reason I don't interact with the combat mechanics at all is most of the time it feels completely arbitrary as to whether I'll get one shot or not

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the game has oneshot protection that only kicks in if you're at exactly full hearts.
often if it feels like you're getting oneshot inconsistently it's because you're eating food that leaves you a half heart away from full or something. just munch an apple or two to get back to 100%

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tactical Eatspionage Action

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

liberated fishing town with rock man friend, bird boy and a robot cannon. the combat is a clusterfuck but an enjoyable one. I know there are people who play this like dark souls but for me it's the anti dark souls where the goal is to never interact with the enemies timings at all. It also helps that you can avoid most attacks by just running the gently caress away. I don't think I even know where the dodge button is.

l really need to practice dodge/parry more. Like 80% of the time I time it wrong and jump backwards but get no flurry rush and somehow get hit anyway. Or I hit B instead of X and just stand there and eat poo poo.

This isn't the game's fault. I'm just bad.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The only time I've ever engaged with the shield parry mechanic in either of these games was in the Calamity Ganon boss fight where I had to get good at it real fast

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the game has oneshot protection that only kicks in if you're at exactly full hearts.
often if it feels like you're getting oneshot inconsistently it's because you're eating food that leaves you a half heart away from full or something. just munch an apple or two to get back to 100%

this explains so much

thankyou friend

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If you freeze enemies, they become slippery and can be easily pushed into water or off cliffs. Insane game

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

- The Typhlo Ruins traded the fog for some sage ability puzzles in exchange for a handful of gems

It also has the Dusk Claymore aka the Sword of the Six Sages if you do all the puzzles

I agree with you on The Depths though, it has so much potential and then turns out to have like five quests, finding the bargainer statues, one-shotting the occasional yiga, mining zonaite, a handful of empty landmarks, and that's about it. I'd have liked it to have had a few more biomes at least, instead of everywhere, even the burning parts under Death Mountain, all being just the one same mushroom forest biome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

for example the durability mechanic is good instead of bad this time

:hmmyes:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I want to test a few things tonight related to building constructs and what shenanigans autobuild let's you get away with. Specifically, I wonder if you can make a roomba that uses forest dweller swords/spears with things attached like muddlebuds, and if you can autobuild them and still get the effect of the muddlebud/etc recharging to be used again. If so, I think that's my new base-clearing weapon :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Icedude posted:

It also has the Dusk Claymore aka the Sword of the Six Sages if you do all the puzzles

You are correct, I completely forgot about that. My point still stands: some gems and also an Amiibo drop.

quote:

I agree with you on The Depths though, it has so much potential and then turns out to have like five quests, finding the bargainer statues, one-shotting the occasional yiga, mining zonaite, a handful of empty landmarks, and that's about it. I'd have liked it to have had a few more biomes at least, instead of everywhere, even the burning parts under Death Mountain, all being just the one same mushroom forest biome.

Yeah, I was so hyped over it and I explored the gently caress out of it expecting to be wowed, and then I wasn’t and I was like well poo poo I just invested a ton of time into something that honestly wasn’t that great.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If the simple joy of zonaite number go up isn't enough to satisfy you I don't know what to say

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:wrong:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This was what I needed. Beat it today. What a game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Alxprit posted:

If the simple joy of zonaite number go up isn't enough to satisfy you I don't know what to say
Yeah, but then you grind that zonaite into battery extensions and number go back down. (Unless you make the zonaite number go up a lot.)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, but then you grind that zonaite into battery charges and number go back down. (Unless you make the zonaite number go up a lot.)

Just go beat up bosses and stuff in the underdark to make battery charges go up. Zoanite is for making stupid insane contraptions to use your 16 batteries for.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
The Depths feels like something that will be used in upcoming expansions. It is big and open, with middling threats right now. It honestly feels like a beta build. I can see an expansion which introduces some kind of Moleman race down there or something to liven the place up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t really expect much for the DLC. BotW’s DLC was pretty minimal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Just go beat up bosses and stuff in the underdark to make battery charges go up. Zoanite is for making stupid insane contraptions to use your 16 batteries for.

Yeah, I'm glad the thread told me to stop spending zonaite for that. It really is ridiculously more effective to rack up crystalized charges 20 or 100 at a time by making the rounds fighting stuff downstairs.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really expect much for the DLC. BotW’s DLC was pretty minimal.

Champion's Ballad was really good. The one hit obliterator section was interesting, combat shrine fakeout was a precursor to the Lomei shrine in this one, the master cycle zero dungeon was by far the best one. I could see them doing some poo poo like that in Depths and/or a new big sky island. There's a lot of room on both maps.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, unfortunately attaching fused weapons to roombas does not appear to utilize the special effects of those items. I did a quick test on my lunch break with a forest dweller spear + muddlebud, it doesn't appear to activate, so it's just a spear with +1 damage because it is fused. It's also highly susceptible to fire, and seems to still be flammable even when made from zoanite on auto-build.

On the flip side, if wood weapons are still flammable even on autobuild, it makes me wonder if metallic weapons would still be struck by lightning. It might be possible to put a spear on a roomba and unleash it during a thunderstorm to automatically target lightning towards enemies on the overworld. :thunk:

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

CainFortea posted:

do the temple boss chests ever reset? I liked finding the three separate Colgeras and getting 100 crystal charges after only like 2 minutes of fighting

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Megera posted:

do the temple boss chests ever reset? I liked finding the three separate Colgeras and getting 100 crystal charges after only like 2 minutes of fighting

Nope!

But Frox at least drop crystallized charges, so you can farm them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Do Stone Talos fights do this too? I might go out of my way to check those out more, considering how easy it is to avoid damage with recall

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dodgeblan posted:

Dodging is for one handed weapons. Wise heads use two handers with the running attack and followup that ragdolls over and over or as a lead-in to spin-to-win, or polearms which attack 100 times per second when charged up. Shields are for fusing weapons and boss drops onto for later use on two-handers and polearms

The parry is in the game specifically to make Souls players eat poo poo a bunch because it's on what would be the iframe dodge button in a sensible game

Eat Tier 3 defense food before any real fight until you get some decent armor and have healing food to stay at full health. Any combination of 4-5 ironshroom, armored fish, or armoranth will work for the defense, and just fill your inventory with whatever for healing, just cooking a bunch of meat together is best. Do this and you'll never die.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Oh man Fire Temple boss spoilers:

Rather than play this fight straight I just dropped a spring on the ground, jumped into slowmo, and fed Lynel bow Gibdo bones into the eye for all of Phase 1 and Phase 2. I think it took 10 seconds. I kind of want to see what they intended for you to do or any mechanics or any attacks now lol.

Also to the last couple gongs, was the solution to just build a big gently caress off lava bridge? Because I did. I did figure out the ramp + Yuno + recall interaction which was cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sadly it seems like flipping an electrical propellor upsidedown on the motor doesn't reverse its direction

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Dodging is for one handed weapons. Wise heads use two handers with the running attack and followup that ragdolls over and over or as a lead-in to spin-to-win, or polearms which attack 100 times per second when charged up. Shields are for fusing weapons and boss drops onto for later use on two-handers and polearms

The parry is in the game specifically to make Souls players eat poo poo a bunch because it's on what would be the iframe dodge button in a sensible game

Eat Tier 3 defense food before any real fight until you get some decent armor and have healing food to stay at full health. Any combination of 4-5 ironshroom, armored fish, or armoranth will work for the defense, and just fill your inventory with whatever for healing, just cooking a bunch of meat together is best. Do this and you'll never die.

Souls games are not sensible LOL

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

space uncle posted:

Oh man Fire Temple boss spoilers:

Rather than play this fight straight I just dropped a spring on the ground, jumped into slowmo, and fed Lynel bow Gibdo bones into the eye for all of Phase 1 and Phase 2. I think it took 10 seconds. I kind of want to see what they intended for you to do or any mechanics or any attacks now lol.

Also to the last couple gongs, was the solution to just build a big gently caress off lava bridge? Because I did. I did figure out the ramp + Yuno + recall interaction which was cool.

This is basically what I did, build one big lava bridge using the free hydrant pouring into lava. what's the recall trick? I don't remember using recall when doing those.

Also, unfortunately I don't think the boss properly works on refights. At least both times I've found it, there's been nothing above the boss arena when the boss normally would flip upside down in phase 2, so you get an easier fight overall but without the whole shooting-yunobo-in-a-loop thing that i thought made the fight kinda kickass. It does give you a pretty badass looking part to make a hammer or boost a shield, though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

Do Stone Talos fights do this too? I might go out of my way to check those out more, considering how easy it is to avoid damage with recall

Yeah, all the minibosses with health bars do. I have a whole array of skull icons marking them down there to run through and redo as many as I want after every blood moon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Souls games are not sensible LOL

To each their own of course, but if it was a proper dodge I bet more people would use it than currently use parry

It's fine tho, the combat isn't the main show in these games and outside of the beginning you're never really in anything like real danger unless you choose to be

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Epic High Five posted:

To each their own of course, but if it was a proper dodge I bet more people would use it than currently use parry
I mean you think? The souls dodge is absolutely broken op it would be (ab)used just like in DS.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm terrible at the parry in this. I usually don't even try. It was fine with guardians though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Those shrine fans are a lot more difficult to balance and temperamental than the videos led me to believe, but I WILL have a working helicopter and weapons platform before I put this down for the DLC wait

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Is there any reason to parry in this game? If you have the timing for a parry, why wouldn't you just dodge and get the flurry rush?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Vanadium posted:

Is there any reason to parry in this game? If you have the timing for a parry, why wouldn't you just dodge and get the flurry rush?

It's good on a shield-sword where you can go instantly from attacking to parrying.

Shame they didn't bring back guardians, or add in beemos to the same effect.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Vanadium posted:

The timing seems to be a lot more generous for parrying than it is for flurry rushing this time, or at least it seems to do for me

Also apparently if you have a mushroom on your shield it should be a guaranteed disarm, but I haven't tried that one yet

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think the parry would be improved if it offered more in the way of a riposte instead of just deflecting an attack and attacking normally. You can maybe get a quick arrow shot in on a lynel, but it'd be cooler if you could follow up a parry with the same slowdown effect as when you perfect dodge, but instead of the prompt saying Flurry Rush, make it a True Strike that uses the same animation as a Stealth Strike. I would love to parry a Bokoblin and then baseball swing them into the stratosphere with a bouncy 2H Stealth Strike that Link does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
flurry rushing seems much easier than parrying to me
it's also safer since if you whiff the timing you still get to block the attack with your shield!