Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it just keeps getting darker wt actual f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/jhomenuk/status/1666491345760837653

https://twitter.com/MarshallBBurke/status/1666496666583863296

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

weather app still says 165 but its 5 times darker outside than the last time i looked at the app

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

weather app still says 165 but its 5 times darker outside than the last time i looked at the app

airnow.gov is better than your app.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah, AQI around the city is ~230

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol number... up

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

jesus christ

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/?cam=skyline_g

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it's FINE

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

Is breathing this for 4 hours the same as breathing regular NYC air for 12 hours? Trying to understand if this is typical media dramatization or a real issue to avoid?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

can we get that in cigarettes per hour please

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it just keeps getting darker wt actual f

During the California fires it would sometimes never get brighter than dusk all day.

Yeah, like this. Seen this three or four times over the past several years. It is wild. I wonder if the east coast experiencing this hell will result in any policy changes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, like this. Seen this three or four times over the past several years. It is wild. I wonder if the east coast experiencing this hell will result in any policy changes.
lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

lmao

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I know, I know. Thing is, if it starts happening often enough, it will begin to inconvenience people with actual power.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The policy change will be that government officials get better air filtration systems.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Weatherdammerung 2022: 2023 Fire is weather.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I know, I know. Thing is, if it starts happening often enough, it will begin to inconvenience people with actual power.

FlapYoJacks posted:

The policy change will be that government officials get better air filtration systems.

I'll go one further and say this is what pushes us towards the Jetsons future. all our most important institutions will be placed on jacks and raised into the sky

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

During the California fires it would sometimes never get brighter than dusk all day.

narrator's voice: "it didn't."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'll go one further and say this is what pushes us towards the Jetsons future. all our most important institutions will be placed on jacks and raised into the sky

what if they catch fire and pollute the sky

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't an annual devastating fire and smoke season. Ah well, nevertheless

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tater_salad posted:

jack the rest of em up higher

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wamsutta posted:

we had all of our windows in our home replaced in March and goddamn i am glad we did. the old ones were really drafty, and i know it would be lovely inside our house if we hadn't replaced them.

threw on a respirator to walk the dog (the shortest possible walk for him to drop a deuce then we hauled rear end home), when i got home and took it off it smelled like someone was doing a campfire in my yard

this is hosed

we went nuts on energy efficiency when we rebuilt after a fire a few years ago and I'm happy we did given that I can't smell anything inside and I can barely see to the other end of my street right now

although part of that was also maximizing airflow for ventilation with the windows open so we didn't have to use the AC so much and lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Government: In space!

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

this is the pretext we need to invade canada

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
This is kind of an intense tie-in promo for the launch of Diablo IV

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
According to airnow.gov, the neighborhood my friends and family are in is currently worse off than NYC. Cool!

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

a helpful bear posted:

This is kind of an intense tie-in promo for the launch of Diablo IV

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1666510464631595010?t=8eNpaDxTmTkxv9XW2SWbug&s=19

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't an annual devastating fire and smoke season. Ah well, nevertheless

Fire season is merely the prelude to Flood Season

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Or vice versa

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly update: i think it just got worse in the last hour. stepped outside and it's just an instant burst of smoke

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

triple sulk posted:

philly update: i think it just got worse in the last hour. stepped outside and it's just an instant burst of smoke

smoke front is rolling in

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SorePotato posted:

smoke front is rolling in

i had to go to the post office and my throat was burning after five minutes

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
guess it does max out at 500

3.6 roentgen lol

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
fuuuuck

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tstwo_hd

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol it's almost too perfect

I love that we have at least two more days of this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

yeah the air is absolutely worse now than it was at 8am

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is 500 with the dead face a bad number
it seems bad

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm all the people walking around outside without any protection in the nasty acrid smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tater_salad posted:

I'm all the people walking around outside without any protection in the nasty acrid smoke.

i'd say it's 70/30 here unmasked to masked