Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sash! posted:

No they are the proof that no one in the galaxy cared so much about their hair as Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn = Chris Kattan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Kyle Katarn = Chris Kattan

This is what I think every time I hear it.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ray Stevenson (RIP)'s character is still Joruus C'baoth, right?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

La Louve Rouge posted:

Ray Stevenson (RIP)'s character is still Joruus C'baoth, right?

No half-open bathrobe, no dice.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Agreed that Kyle Katarn was more interesting before he picked up a lightsaber, as an ex stormtrooper turned rebel agent. But also agree that his venture into the dark side was interesting to explore in MotS. DF2 is just so fun with force powers though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tribbledirigible posted:

No half-open bathrobe, no dice.

I didn't notice a gigantic disco medallion or a Ricardo Montalban eight pack either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, my mistake. I'm very tired today.

That's okay, I read your response in Thrawn's voice :allears:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jerusalem posted:

That's okay, I read your response in Thrawn's voice :allears:

Do you have the organ music from Rebels in your head, too? I do.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

HootTheOwl posted:

Jedi were bad and rebuilding them is just doomed to repeat the cycle that is the story of every star wars arc, please. someone, anyone, learn this lesson!

the only salvageable angle the rise of skywalker brings to the table is rey using the term to make a new school of thought for how to use the force literally called 'skywalkers', except that film is so dedicated to sucking off the jedi and the skywalkers as a family that even that doesn't work

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7-zia4oHuk

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
god I'm so pumped for this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i hope a zillo beast steps on some people

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Barely any new footage in that, but yeah, I'm still pumped as hell for this show.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm not gonna begrudge Dave Filoni for getting to live out his action figure and waifu fantasies and for being worshipped as a god by legions of prequel-memers (and insufferable misogynists).

So part of me is like Oh, it's gonna be Rebels in live action! But another part of me is like Oh... it's just Rebels in live action :geno:

And I'm having trouble imagining somewhere new and interesting we can go with yet another "Jedi who survived the purge and became evil for Reasons" antagonist, after we've had Grand Inquisitor, Reva, Taron, Cere, Bariss (maybe), and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

It looks really cool and I hope it's good. Maybe I'm just bitching because I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the new evil jedi look cool so honestly im in

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I visit my mum every week to help her with various practical things and keep her company, since chronic illness severely limits the things she can do and my dad's no longer among us. So often once the various chores and administrative duties are done, we turn to Netflix or Disney+ and just hang around in front of the TV for a while.

Largely as a result of that, in recent years - helped greatly by The Mandalorian - she's really got into Star Wars. And with Ahsoka coming out this summer, I'm currently watching TCW with her so she'll know about Ahsoka's backstory and hopefully we'll have time enough to go through at least some Rebels episodes as well. In any event, she's enjoying the series a lot and has very much taken to Ahsoka already, so I'm just happy we'll get to watch some new stuff we're both excited about together come August. :unsmith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

I'm not gonna begrudge Dave Filoni for getting to live out his action figure and waifu fantasies and for being worshipped as a god by legions of prequel-memers (and insufferable misogynists).

Are you talking people who hate Kathleen Kennedy (and I agree, they're annoying assholes)? Because I feel like "insufferable misogynists" wouldn't be wild about a show about Ahsoka.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I just can't stop seeing the Volume, now, after spending a season with real sets in Andor. This giant empty world they're not meant to interact with the peripheries of. Like actors on a theatrical stage with a painted background.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

Are you talking people who hate Kathleen Kennedy (and I agree, they're annoying assholes)? Because I feel like "insufferable misogynists" wouldn't be wild about a show about Ahsoka.

Kennedy and Rey and Rose.

And I don't know either-- their complaints about Rey being "overpowered" and "flawless" and a "Mary Sue" could all be applied to Ahsoka (or Luke for that matter, since his arc in the OT is very similar to Rey's), but these idiots aren't known for critical thinking.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 7, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I stopped watching Rebels when Zelda came put to play it and only got back to it today. And after bailing out after Chopper base (with those McQuarrie spiders again!) I had no idea that thr very next episode was going to be an absolute banger, Holy poo poo. Its a two parter too and I wish I had have turned it on earlier in the night to see the second half

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Goddamit. Guess I’m rewatching Rebels for a third time. What was that watch-along podcast everybody was saying just started Rebels? My as well do that, too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Goddamit. Guess I’m rewatching Rebels for a third time. What was that watch-along podcast everybody was saying just started Rebels? My as well do that, too.

A more civilised age

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

A more civilised age

Thanks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hazo posted:

Kennedy and Rey and Rose.

And I don't know either-- their complaints about Rey being "overpowered" and "flawless" and a "Mary Sue" could all be applied to Ahsoka (or Luke for that matter, since his arc in the OT is very similar to Rey's), but these idiots aren't known for critical thinking.

Ahsoka had rather large failure arcs in Clone Wars (she lost most of her squad for not listening) and lost against Vader and was saved by deux ex machina, Luke couldn't lift his lightsaber out of the snow at the beginning of his second movie and then failed miserably and lost his hand at the end. Anakin lost his hand in his second movie and everything in the third. Ezra was a dumb kid who did almost everything wrong and had to grow up over his seasons.

Rey didn't have a failure arc because of the clusterfuck those movies are and stands pretty alone as far as Star Wars protagonists go in that. In her second movie, where Anakin and Luke lost their hands and Luke couldnt even lift the XWing, Rey was lifting tons of boulders and saving everyone. There's a lot of textual difference in arc and actions with Rey and every other major Star Wars protagonist.

The Star Wars misogynists are currently complaining that Disney is making every Star Wars and other movie protagonist a woman, so they're just lumping Ahsoka along with that. Those videos are finally starting to seep into my algorithm.

Darko fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 8, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Has anyone thought that maybe women are just better Jedi?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Rey’s failure arc is in the third movie, the disjointed mess one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

1st AD posted:

What even are her fuckups in that movie? (Seriously, remind me because I can’t remember.)

There’s thinking she blew up Chewie’s ship for 5 minutes, there’s the vision? where she gets shark teeth…I guess that’s like a gently caress up. Thinking about becoming a hissing demon…

Edit: Wait. What am I doing? I don’t want to talk about this movie. Never mind.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 8, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1st AD posted:

Star Wars' failure arc is that movie :v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rey failed to bring Kylo to the light side in The Last Jedi and that was supposed to be a huge deal.

Then it loving happened anyway because Ghost Dad, so chalk up the erasure of her middle chapter failure to that movie too. That was supposed to be tragic hubris on her part.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m mad Han’s iconic blaster pistol and gun belt were destroyed on Ilum. How do you not hand on something like that to a younger character as a symbolic narrative bridge?

I know that’s a hyper specific quibble, but weird blind spots like that made the sequels feel off to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Has anyone thought that maybe women are just better Jedi?

I could hear the emasculated screech that idea produced in Star Wars Fans. It was like millions of voices crying out in terror, and then suddenly silence because who gives a gently caress what those small pee pee dorks think.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Rey failed to bring Kylo to the light side in The Last Jedi and that was supposed to be a huge deal.

Then it loving happened anyway because Ghost Dad, so chalk up the erasure of her middle chapter failure to that movie too. That was supposed to be tragic hubris on her part.

Why do people keep insisting there's a ninth Star Wars movie for some reason? It doesn't make any sense!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They should have committed to icing Chewie. Let her live with that and work her way through it. (As much as I love Chewie)
Maybe Carrie Fisher dying fucks with that though and you want to have at least ONE member of the OT cast kicking about

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
rey is pretty bad as a character but it has nothing to do with 'power levels'.

movie 1: she spends the whole movie wanting to go home to tatooine until some guy in a space truck dies, at which point she swears eternal vengeance against the murderer of the guy who had a space truck one time. most characters just do things with little or no motivation in this movie but she and finn get it worst.

movie 2: as part of vengeance against space truck guy murderer, she flies off to meet his old friend and doesn't do anything for an entire movie except face-time with the guy she hates and get into inane, specious arguments with space truck guy's old friend. he proceeds to take over the movie and halfassedly refute all of his own arguments, performing an anti-antithesis that ratfucks the whole narrative flow of the movie and the trilogy overall.

movie 3: having accomplished nothing meaningful this whole time, reality starts to break down around rey, with the dead coming back to life, time and space stretching and warping out of control. this somehow results in her not-killing space truck guy's best friend, finding out voldemort is her granddad, and doing the same victory-by-technicality poo poo that beat voldemort last time. she finally gets to go home to tatooine.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I stopped watching Rebels when Zelda came put to play it and only got back to it today. And after bailing out after Chopper base (with those McQuarrie spiders again!) I had no idea that thr very next episode was going to be an absolute banger, Holy poo poo. Its a two parter too and I wish I had have turned it on earlier in the night to see the second half

Watching the second part :vince:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m mad Han’s iconic blaster pistol and gun belt were destroyed on Ilum. How do you not hand on something like that to a younger character as a symbolic narrative bridge?

I know that’s a hyper specific quibble, but weird blind spots like that made the sequels feel off to me.

Oh, don't worry, it'll show up at Black Spire Outpost because...uh...Starkiller's explosion opened a wormhole that sucked in Han's clothes and equipment but not his corpse and deposited them next to some random explorer that Dok-Ondar bought them from so he could sell them to tourists

Don't ask why there's a hundred Han's Blaster™ for $24.99

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh, don't worry, it'll show up at Black Spire Outpost because...uh...Starkiller's explosion opened a wormhole that sucked in Han's clothes and equipment but not his corpse and deposited them next to some random explorer that Dok-Ondar bought them from so he could sell them to tourists

Don't ask why there's a hundred Han's Blaster™ for $24.99

$124.99 at least

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
$124.99 is like the slightly less chunky plastic version for cosplayers. Prop replica version for the collector whales would probably be $300-$500

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What even are her fuckups in that movie? (Seriously, remind me because I can’t remember.)

There’s thinking she blew up Chewie’s ship for 5 minutes, there’s the vision? where she gets shark teeth…I guess that’s like a gently caress up. Thinking about becoming a hissing demon…

Edit: Wait. What am I doing? I don’t want to talk about this movie. Never mind.

After beating the person the other two movie protagonists couldnt, she died for a second, so maybe it's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah there are a lot of differences but broad strokes-wise Rey is no more of a "Mary Sue" than Luke. It's also dumb to complain she's too strong because it's explicitly said that yeah, she's naturally powerful, because she's the descendant of a mega evil space wizard AND she sort of has all the Jedi from the past living within her Avatar-style. But of course all this is muddled by the fact that the movies weren't very good.

It's been a while since I watched Clone Wars and I'm only on season 2 of Rebels so I don't recall losing her troops being a huge part of Ahsoka's character, especially since she reunites with the only clone (Rex) she was especially attached to. Her pathos seems to mostly be 1) sad that Anakin turned into Vader and 2) mad at the Jedi for wrongly accusing her.