Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stare-Out posted:

Is it just me or is Rutger Hauer voicing this trailer? Also the first bit of any voice acting in anything No Man's Sky by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGz8f_FlR9M

It'd have to be a soundalike, Hauer's been dead for a few years now.

Sorry if :thejoke: or something, I can't tell if you're asking in earnest.

Speaking of, I'd love to see a mashup of Ernest in NMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Finally broke down and bought this :confuoot:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Flesh Forge posted:

Finally broke down and bought this :confuoot:

welcome to an extremely chill galaxy, friend

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It'd have to be a soundalike, Hauer's been dead for a few years now.

Sorry if :thejoke: or something, I can't tell if you're asking in earnest.

Speaking of, I'd love to see a mashup of Ernest in NMS.

Holy poo poo, legit forgot he was gone.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Stare-Out posted:

Is it just me or is Rutger Hauer voicing this trailer? Also the first bit of any voice acting in anything No Man's Sky by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGz8f_FlR9M

It is, but it’s not new; they had him record that for one of the first NMS promos from before the (ill-fated) launch and before his passing:

https://youtu.be/-UVQ14JrfRI

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im still pretty new to the game but i just found and bought a pretty cool space ship for 43 million units. how rare are these?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

3 posted:

It is, but it’s not new; they had him record that for one of the first NMS promos from before the (ill-fated) launch and before his passing:

Holy poo poo, did not know this. Awesome!

Also :rip:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

3 posted:

Oh wow, I never knew this. Weird to be right about it too. Good catch!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
part 2 of 4? What was part 1 and did I miss it? Guess there's always the date/time trick.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Khanstant posted:

part 2 of 4? What was part 1 and did I miss it? Guess there's always the date/time trick.

Yeah that stuck out to me too. What did I miss?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fart simpson posted:

im still pretty new to the game but i just found and bought a pretty cool space ship for 43 million units. how rare are these?

S-class Exotic? That's a great find.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

All the plot stuff around the camps and the Sentinel ships has been part one of the story. Check out Kanaju on YouTube for some good lore and story exploration videos. This one covers quite a bit of it. https://youtu.be/13TXOVxpIHU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh that headset is gonna be sick

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

S-class Exotic? That's a great find.

i just looked it up on a wiki and it says my new ship has the maximum number of both cargo and tech slots for an exotic ship. score!

i don’t think ive even seen an exotic ship before

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

Very.
I'm not current so maybe the Sentinel ships are better, but otherwise congratulations on getting the best general purpose ship in type/quality in the game, and with what I'm pretty sure is a great ultracharged slot setup, and good rolls on initial tech and storage slots.

Exotics are #2 in basically everything but maneuverability (they're #1) and starting storage (which you seem to have lucked into getting a lot of anyway.) Okay actually I think they're #3 in firepower, and Solars are faster specifically in space or something, but still. It's basically the best overall.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cool

e: dang, i put my infra knife accelerator and some upgrades in the 3 adjacent supercharged slots and i get 53,705 dps. i was getting like 16,000 dps with the same stuff on my old explorer ship and that already seemed like a lot

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 7, 2023

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Oh, drat. A new expedition already? Time to load up that hauler and hit the stars :clint:

The new community cape is also perfect. Just what I've been looking for as an explorer

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i don't really understand the latest update. that video with rutger hauer just sounds like kind of a general ad for NMS itself, it doesn't introduce any new features as far as i can tell. and the main website is still talking about Interceptor as the new thing :confused: i have no idea what a "ship of ai souls" means

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah the emoji list in the tweet was confusing too. Maybe they're trying to leave some mystery intact for the expedition instead of listing all the new things you'll find?

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i just got into this game thanks to the mac release and holy poo poo

like first of all it runs really well at max settings on my november 2021 m1 16gb and secondly it is a cool game and fun to play

i want to explore things but the main quest is really engaging so im just going with that and really savoring it in a way that i havent savored a game in a while

ELTON JOHN fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 7, 2023

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's all part of the expedition, apparently.

Check out No Man's Sky: Singularity, the game's new expedition. The new No Mans Sky update, Singularity, continues the narrative arc that began in the Interceptor update and will progress throughout this year. In this five-week long expedition, players investigate strange robots that are delivering cryptic clues across the galaxy, following a story tangled in Al corruption. Watch the trailer for a peek at what's coming to the adventure survival game this time around.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I'm not seeing any expedition option on the Switch. Is this live yet?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm not seeing any expedition option on the Switch. Is this live yet?

Servers may be down. I was able to start a new expedition save on my Mac last night, but my gamepad didn't play nice with my fancy Apple adapter -- so I tried to start it on my PC tonight, found that the expedition option was unavailable there, and also found a whole Steam thread of people having the same problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3817410454879328176/

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Possibly related to that, I got to near the end of the current expedition and got this:

Spoilers for instructions on what to do for the last bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to know my progress, not just "unknown" lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I haven't played in years but liked the game even at launch and went back to it once right after the base building and ship fleets started. Is it worth it to come back again for the newer stuff and if so do you think I should just continue my last save even though I'll have to sort of relearn how to play or should I just start over?

I kinda want to start over but I'm worried about being a space poor for a while like i don't want to spend a ton of time trying to get enough dough to do whatever I want.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Possibly related to that, I got to near the end of the current expedition and got this:

Spoilers for instructions on what to do for the last bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to know my progress, not just "unknown" lol

This is the community quest.

1. go to a dissonant planet
2. scan with your visor for sentience echos. They look like radiant shard logos giving you the middle finger
3. go there, and hit the left stick to scan and a bunch of big rocks will appear
4. destroy those rocks for soul orbs
5. repeat
6. go to Nada's terminal in the anomaly(right as soon as you get into the room with the portal)
7. insert your soul orbs ONE BY loving ONE into Nada's terminal
8. ragequit because the community challenge thing is bullshit anyways and it'll happen either way.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 10, 2023

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since I was disconnected from multiplayer in that last session, it makes way more sense that it was reporting unknown then. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Since I was disconnected from multiplayer in that last session, it makes way more sense that it was reporting unknown then. :v:

I have to disconnect from multi to stop crashes during most expeditions. It still displays for me, but their servers are fucky right now.

It's currently at 46% through tier 1 and there are 5 tiers.

I think you need to wait for it to complete before the last 3 quests in phase 4 are unlocked.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

I haven't played in years but liked the game even at launch and went back to it once right after the base building and ship fleets started. Is it worth it to come back again for the newer stuff and if so do you think I should just continue my last save even though I'll have to sort of relearn how to play or should I just start over?

kind of depends exactly when you left because there was a point sometime after the first set of base building stuff was released when they re-arranged planetary geography/types across the whole universe and it messed up most peoples bases. so if you are looking to go back to something you started and it was that long ago, it might be gone or all hosed up by now. but that was like, years ago at this point.

as far as re-learning, they changed the whole base building interface (for the better, more or less) and some minor changes to the galactic map but its not going to take you a lot of time to figure that stuff out. there are some new aspects of the game like pets and settlements etc but these are also pretty easy to learn.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DelphiAegis posted:

The data probably comes from the same Discovery Server connection you see in the bottom left of the Discoveries page, I haven't been able to connect to it all weekend and I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about the same

The completion is on a timer, not actual turn-ins, so nothing worth stressing about

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Just finally started a new expedition save on PC, so it looks like the servers are back up. Had some odd lag spawning in, which may be related to the huge hovering base somebody built next to the starting point.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got a dog.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I got a dog.

You pimped your Tapir? :stare:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do i have all these archived technology things in my ship inventory because they changed how many you can equip at once? If I try and put them all back in its too many and overloads. Should I just use them in a different ship or sell them?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

bird with big dick posted:

Do i have all these archived technology things in my ship inventory because they changed how many you can equip at once? If I try and put them all back in its too many and overloads. Should I just use them in a different ship or sell them?

That's why you'd have them, yes - they don't sell for very much IIRC (like 10 or 15 nanites?), so putting them in another ship or putting them in the bank for when you (inevitably, if you're anything like me) do get another ship is the most efficient use of them. Either that or install them and deconstruct them for raw materials rather than uninstall them into storage.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I had a hell of a time getting the Mac port to work through Steam with a controller - both my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ and an old Logitech F310 I've had around forever didn't want to work. Steam indicated it was loading a configuration labeled in Chinese, and then nothing worked. My Switch pro controller works just fine, though. I have no idea what the difference is, maybe Apple included Nintendo controller drivers in the OS? I also didn't try disabling Steam controller support and letting the OS take over.

I'm definitely noticing some frame drops when transitioning between space and surface, and the upscaling algorithm also seems to output some funny ghosting/shimmering during jump-drive. Not sure if that's because I was playing unplugged. The bottom of my MacBook Air noticeably heats up too. But it's plenty playable on a base-model M1, and it was a free update to the game I already owned. Not yet sure I can recommend it if you're starting off with a low-end Mac, I'll have to put in some more playtime and play around with the MetalFX settings.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a way to get the Expedition 10 Jetpack in an normal save? I don't see it in the Expedition Shop for my permadeath game after finishing E10.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My dog laid an egg so I ran it through the Oscillation Overthruster on the Anomaly and was advised that the ingredients I'd used might produce a MASSIVE but GENTLE creature.

Not only did it turn out smaller it's running around so quickly that I can't even click on it. It's like astro-zoomies, all the time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dick Trauma posted:

My dog laid an egg so I ran it through the Oscillation Overthruster on the Anomaly and was advised that the ingredients I'd used might produce a MASSIVE but GENTLE creature.

Not only did it turn out smaller it's running around so quickly that I can't even click on it. It's like astro-zoomies, all the time.

lmao cant wait to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

No Man’s Sky: My Dog Laid an Egg