Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Logistics suck when I'm struggling with them but when I can tell my actions are causing the enemy to choke to death as they struggle for every bullet it's a great feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Field of Glory II is free on Steam. It's very similar to Pike and Shot or Sengoku Jidai but set in ancient Europe, very tabletop-y but without silliness of digital dice rolls and the like.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What do you think has been driving the resurgence in Cold War gone hot games over the past decade? In the 80s I get why they were popular it was relevant so you had things like Twilight 2000, The Third World War Seires, the Fleet series (which if theres somethinf lacking in this modern resurgence is ignoring is Naval combat), and so many more. The 90s into the 2000s saw that space dry up for obvious reasons, it was no longer relevant, hiatory had ended. Which I remember when I got into table top gaming in college in the mid to late 2000s thinking was a shame because it was something different different than World War II games, and more intrestingb at the time, than Iraq, or Afghanistan where it felt like there was no way for the opposition to win. Than I'd think starting with Wargame I think they started to slowly trickle back out more and more and now I feel like every time I turn around theres a new one. I just wonder what changed with that? Was it simply Russia being painted as a threat again after the Georgian war in 2008 just reactivating Cold War fears?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

KomradeX posted:

What do you think has been driving the resurgence in Cold War gone hot games over the past decade? In the 80s I get why they were popular it was relevant so you had things like Twilight 2000, The Third World War Seires, the Fleet series (which if theres somethinf lacking in this modern resurgence is ignoring is Naval combat), and so many more. The 90s into the 2000s saw that space dry up for obvious reasons, it was no longer relevant, hiatory had ended. Which I remember when I got into table top gaming in college in the mid to late 2000s thinking was a shame because it was something different different than World War II games, and more intrestingb at the time, than Iraq, or Afghanistan where it felt like there was no way for the opposition to win. Than I'd think starting with Wargame I think they started to slowly trickle back out more and more and now I feel like every time I turn around theres a new one. I just wonder what changed with that? Was it simply Russia being painted as a threat again after the Georgian war in 2008 just reactivating Cold War fears?

I can't speak to the wider world, but in my social circle (constituting mostly audience but also developers) it's a result of being radicalised towards communism due to worsening material conditions. This then has the effect of learning more about communist states and their history, and, well, struggle against the west and spectre of war is a big part of that history. A lot of the people who were way into F-15s are now into T-64s and BTRs.

This is a very small, left-leaning sample size, but I do think it's indicative of an audience for this kind of thing growing. Until, like, 2017 I've never even encountered another communist. Hell, until then I wasn't one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I've gotten to early '50s in Rule the Waves 3 and things have gotten wild. There are vintage battleships still around getting pummeled post-WWII missile cruisers, surviving by the sheer shittiness of the early missiles, while jets and prop planes somehow coexist. Carriers for prop planes became mature tech for about 6 months before jets were invented, and now every CV is technically obsolete. I'm Austria-Hungary so I have no loving money and I have to go bully France for their colonies just to keep apace of tech. I don't know this part of naval history at all and have no idea what to do. I decided to make a build an actual battleship in 1952 because somebody told me they can be useful as SAM platforms later. Nobody knows what a SAM is so what's on it for now is 15 inch guns and 4 dogshit Surface-to-surface missiles I stole from the Italians

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

sum posted:

Field of Glory II is free on Steam. It's very similar to Pike and Shot or Sengoku Jidai but set in ancient Europe, very tabletop-y but without silliness of digital dice rolls and the like.

is this a paradox DLC mafia type game

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Megamissen posted:

im putting some dota 2 items up on the market so ill probably buy tabletop simulator tomorrow

TTS is the almost the only game I'm playing now

my latest obsession is Dune Imperium and TTS has a good mod for it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Typo posted:

is this a paradox DLC mafia type game

Sort of, there's a ton of pricey dlc but the game is basically all set piece battles and all the dlc adds is more army lists.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I can't speak to the wider world, but in my social circle (constituting mostly audience but also developers) it's a result of being radicalised towards communism due to worsening material conditions. This then has the effect of learning more about communist states and their history, and, well, struggle against the west and spectre of war is a big part of that history. A lot of the people who were way into F-15s are now into T-64s and BTRs.

This is a very small, left-leaning sample size, but I do think it's indicative of an audience for this kind of thing growing. Until, like, 2017 I've never even encountered another communist. Hell, until then I wasn't one.

Thats a good point, I know that often my draw to the genre is imaging a better world where the good side won the Cold War, though most of these games are rooted more in wanting to see the US bring rhe apocalyptic end to it while making it the Soviets fault. Which makes something like Warno which I think is setting up a narrative around its operations where the Soviets will be defeated. Though my favorite was the last campaign in the original Wargame where NATO and Pact survivors join forces to nuke the ruling class that nuked the world and survived

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StashAugustine posted:

Sort of, there's a ton of pricey dlc but the game is basically all set piece battles and all the dlc adds is more army lists.

Yeah you get plenty of game for free, you can just add a whole lot more with DLC.

It's not like with Paradox where you are playing a diminished version of the game without the DLC, what you get is complete.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

I think it’s fantastic, if a little dry at times.

FOG 2 and Med all DLC gang rise up

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
My simulteanous favorite and biggest disappointment in a cold war era war game is the PRC vs USSR 1979 scenerio in wargame red dragon

You play as the PLA which was clearly the materially inferior party in the conflict.

I thought the game would be about you figuring how to use your advantages to formulate tactics to defeat a technologically and materially superior foe

but no instead the game turned out to be about exploiting the broken-rear end enemy A.I who will drive their T-80s in a line through your urban defenses to be destroyed by your militia infantry

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Typo posted:

My simulteanous favorite and biggest disappointment in a cold war era war game is the PRC vs USSR 1979 scenerio in wargame red dragon

You play as the PLA which was clearly the materially inferior party in the conflict.

I thought the game would be about you figuring how to use your advantages to formulate tactics to defeat a technologically and materially superior foe

but no instead the game turned out to be about exploiting the broken-rear end enemy A.I who will drive their T-80s in a line through your urban defenses to be destroyed by your militia infantry

The only I almost beat a Wargame campaign was in the 2nd Korean War one. They took their helicopter division and went into a province where I had the anti air one. It was a glorious loving massacre with vulcans just chewing them up.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

skooma512 posted:

The only I almost beat a Wargame campaign was in the 2nd Korean War one. They took their helicopter division and went into a province where I had the anti air one. It was a glorious loving massacre with vulcans just chewing them up.

every wargame campaign is basically just tower defense

the best campaign were actually the ones from the first game because they scripted the missions so it -felt- like a real battle, whereas in every subsequent game battles were dynamic and the A.I just couldn't handle it

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Typo posted:

every wargame campaign is basically just tower defense

the best campaign were actually the ones from the first game because they scripted the missions so it -felt- like a real battle, whereas in every subsequent game battles were dynamic and the A.I just couldn't handle it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the trick in red dragon campaigns is to capture all the command zones, without destroying the AI's last command unit. then all the units on that province get blown up

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Another game in that genre if you like Panzer General likes is People's General, where a resurgent PRC goes all out and invades the world (Russia first - this was in the Yeltsin years when Russia was effectively a Western ally, then east Asia, then finally Korea). Or in reverse if you want to play NATO.

it's $6 on GOG and holds up pretty well

https://www.gog.com/en/game/peoples_general

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I've gotten to early '50s in Rule the Waves 3 and things have gotten wild. There are vintage battleships still around getting pummeled post-WWII missile cruisers, surviving by the sheer shittiness of the early missiles, while jets and prop planes somehow coexist. Carriers for prop planes became mature tech for about 6 months before jets were invented, and now every CV is technically obsolete. I'm Austria-Hungary so I have no loving money and I have to go bully France for their colonies just to keep apace of tech. I don't know this part of naval history at all and have no idea what to do. I decided to make a build an actual battleship in 1952 because somebody told me they can be useful as SAM platforms later. Nobody knows what a SAM is so what's on it for now is 15 inch guns and 4 dogshit Surface-to-surface missiles I stole from the Italians

I'm in 1945 as Russia, I have taken a ton of territories because i've won multiple wars with every country but the US and Great Britain. I have the biggest docks in the world and am building my first 2 jet carriers, and I actually have the largest prop plane carrier fleet in the world. I've got colonies EVERYWHERE, because I've got harsher peace deals on and am playing captain's mode so my destroyer/light cruiser torpedo runs absolutely devastate. I know that technically after 1920 or so it's better financially for your budget to not take as many territories as you can because the extra war score goes to war reparations that increase your budget but I love painting the map.

Germany went Nazi, but even when I had them blockaded for years and their unrest forced them to declare peace, they didn't stop being nazis. My constant warring with few losses has given me the 3rd largest fleet after US and Great Britain. I'm allied with the US so I'm hoping to provoke a war with Great Britain before that's over. I think I'm going to be the first to get jet carriers out based on what intel I have, so as soon as the first of those finish working up in about 11 months, I'm going to be trying to get in a war with great britain to test them out.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lum_ posted:

Another game in that genre if you like Panzer General likes is People's General, where a resurgent PRC goes all out and invades the world (Russia first - this was in the Yeltsin years when Russia was effectively a Western ally, then east Asia, then finally Korea). Or in reverse if you want to play NATO.

it's $6 on GOG and holds up pretty well

https://www.gog.com/en/game/peoples_general

I remember the campaign gets pretty fking brutal past Mission 10 or so

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Typo posted:

I remember the campaign gets pretty fking brutal past Mission 10 or so

Yeah, but it's also easy to completely break the game (MLRS is godly, engineer infantry properly outfitted are better anti-armor than tanks) and get a core group of superunits that tear through anything.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hey, Paradox being a swedish company managed to license Sabaton songs for EU4. How come they didn't do that with ABBA songs for CK3?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
so I tried Field of Glory II

is the battle system actually complex and encourage usage of combined arms tactics?

or is it just one of those games where you find the "one simple trick" and then just win every battle using it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:chloe:

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Typo posted:

so I tried Field of Glory II

is the battle system actually complex and encourage usage of combined arms tactics?

or is it just one of those games where you find the "one simple trick" and then just win every battle using it?

I wouldn't call it a complex system, but due to the way how it works there isn't really a single trick to win everything.

If you start fights where you have lots of positive modifiers, you will pretty much always win. So it comes to knowing those, and that stuff you can find in the manual. Positioning and knowing when to commit are the big things. Blocks of infantry can barely turn, so managing that is the big thing. And having reserves when some part of your line will eventually collapse.

I feel there is enough going on in the game, that it stays interesting. With the DLC's the amount of rosters gets quite high too, so you won't immediately know how to play all sides.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

sorry I didn't buy those DLCs.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

sorry I didn't buy those DLCs.

sabaton in general is pretty questionable, they love them some wehrmacht

The Last Battle posted:

An it’s the end of the line of the final journey
Enemies leaving the past
And it’s American troops and the German army
Joining together at last

Ghost Division posted:

Leaving a trail of destruction to a foreign land (waging war with conviction)
Massive assault made to serve the Nazi plan (Wehrmacht's pride, ghost division)

they're also big on putin and performed a concert for the night wolves, putin's favorite motorcycle gang, in occupied crimea

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh ho

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Lum_ posted:

sabaton in general is pretty questionable, they love them some wehrmacht

they're also big on putin and performed a concert for the night wolves, putin's favorite motorcycle gang, in occupied crimea

sabaton is a band of contrast

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Megamissen posted:

sabaton is a band of contrast

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

They just love the aesthetics of any and all war from what I can tell. Which is highly stupid and suspicious but then they are Swedes so it checks out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They love the aesthetics of war you say

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Chazani posted:

Positioning and knowing when to commit are the big things. Blocks of infantry can barely turn, so managing that is the big thing. And having reserves when some part of your line will eventually collapse.

that's one of my favorite parts of the game thus far, it realistically depicts the weakness of heavy troops which is their lack of maneuverability

no more poo poo like in rome: total war where your phalanx will instantly turn 180 to attack someone to their rear

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Field of Glory 2 also plugs in to their turn-based grand strategy game Field of Glory Empires, completely replacing that game’s extremely simplified combat system if you own both - instead FoG II starts up, you fight the battle in that, and then you go back to Empires with the result imported. It’s like a groggier, lower-production-values Total War.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Still waiting on the Medieval one to drop it looks great

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jun 7, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Field of Glory 2 also plugs in to their turn-based grand strategy game Field of Glory Empires, completely replacing that game’s extremely simplified combat system if you own both - instead FoG II starts up, you fight the battle in that, and then you go back to Empires with the result imported. It’s like a groggier, lower-production-values Total War.

the battle generator is not worth it imo and Empires UI needs some major work

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

What's it called?

So is the WW1 game worth a buy?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lum_ posted:

occupied crimea

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Chazani posted:

I wouldn't call it a complex system, but due to the way how it works there isn't really a single trick to win everything.

If you start fights where you have lots of positive modifiers, you will pretty much always win. So it comes to knowing those, and that stuff you can find in the manual. Positioning and knowing when to commit are the big things. Blocks of infantry can barely turn, so managing that is the big thing. And having reserves when some part of your line will eventually collapse.

I feel there is enough going on in the game, that it stays interesting. With the DLC's the amount of rosters gets quite high too, so you won't immediately know how to play all sides.

I enjoyed playing around with it so far although I wish it had more structure to it. The random campaigns aren't really grabbing me.

The closest thing to One Weird Trick is just advantage stuff that feels realistic enough. If you can pull off flanking charges or rear charges on an engaged enemy it usually really fucks up their morale, for example. Although light infantry/cavalry don't necessarily trigger morale checks. But the rest is just tactics and playing units against one another. Heavy infantry fucks poo poo up in a melee and certain ones are good at charging, so harass them a bunch with ranged troops and try to hit them with cavalry or more mobile troops before you fight it out with your infantry line. Or force them into a fight on rough terrain.

The big thing I like about it is the messiness of a battle combined with the noted difficulty in manuevering your units. Units pursuing retreating or beaten enemies can throw your whole lovely battle plan into chaos in a way that feels a lot more realistic. In the campaign I opted to fight a larger force on advantageous terrain rather than sacrifice units, and my plan of forcing their heavy infantry onto rough terrain worked...for a while. Then as my soldiers pursued it turned into a brutal slugfest with units getting cut off and hosed up and out of position. Mine and theirs, until I ground it out. All while I desperately tried to save my collapsing right flank. Neat game, especially since I snagged it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I really hope they don’t have a mechanic as obtuse as the decadence one though, that took me loving forever to figure out. Also the province management, trade and building UIs should be so much better.