Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

wdarkk posted:

What's a good option if they have been? Just a wet paper towel or do I need to go further?

Rubbing alcohol will typically obliterate any human or human-adjacent grease that'll pile up on stuff that's been left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Cat Hatter posted:

FYI, if you have an air compressor for your garage you can hook an airbrush up to it just fine. Yes, a compressor designed for the task will work better, but using stuff you already have lowers the barrier for entry.

This 100%
I would recommend a moisture trap and a separate pressure regulator in the line though. I don't trust "big" compressors when you're working with like 10-30 PSI

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SnakesRevenge posted:

This 100%
I would recommend a moisture trap and a separate pressure regulator in the line though. I don't trust "big" compressors when you're working with like 10-30 PSI

Whenever I am in the compressor section of a store I'll think about how I should get a regulator for my airbrush, see a bunch that go to 100+ psi, and then just decide not to get a moisture/oil trap either so I can get them together for some reason.

Then I just put it out of my mind until I go shopping again.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Well, I decided to jump into the rabbit hole that is 30MM, send help.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Though I hated building the hands for the Jesta, I have to say overall I'm very happy with how mine came out. The color separation is very nice, and the suit looks great despite the low-contrast color palette. The extendable arm for the shield doesn't have the greatest range of motion but it looks cool which is what matters.

And in honor of pride month, I built the MS of my favorite queer-coded villain. I really like the MG Gyan, although the shield slips a bit due to the considerable weight of the whole construction.

I held off on placing the decals and transfer stickers on this one as I think it looks better clean like in the anime. Of note is the four M'Quve figures in the kit. One for the cockpit, one in grey, and two (with vase) that you have to glue together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Televisio Frankus posted:

:sickos:

My HLJ package arrived today, so after work I'm gonna have some swole new arms and big guns to stick on one of my 30MM kits.

And got my moderoid Aestivalis-es to work on too! :peanut:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Started slow, just got the Revernova, Gardonova, and the weapon pack w I th the hammer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Started slow, just got the Revernova, Gardonova, and the weapon pack w I th the hammer.

Well clearly you gotta dive in head-first and build them in theit combined form! :science:

Seriously though, 30MM kits are fun and addictive as fuuuck.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

30 mm are such fun, fast and cheap builds.

I recently got the knight Spinatio and he's now eternally posing as Artorias.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Managed to secure an RG Eva Unit 01 and I'm super-happy about it. Thinking about shelling out the £20 for the RG weapons pack for the Longinus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mounted the new BUFF ARMS. I... I think I may have gone too far with this one.. :ohdear:

My thought with the design is it goes fast, and ejects what's spent to KILL FASTER. Also when it's feeling polite and not fidgety, the backs of the BIG CANNON's (the manual's words, not mine) actually line up with the curve of the back thrusters and it just looks so neat and streamlined :allears:

Pardon the paint, I need to re-apply it cleaner. I also have plans for the other set of arms that came with the second cannon.

And the four leftover original arms from both of the recipients too now. :shepface:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mindblast posted:

The only prerequisites I have for airbrushing are the two hands that will hold the mr hobby matt top coat can. :v:

Those Mr. Hobby rattle cans are definitely known for having some kick when you spray them. Two hands is probably safer.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
The 30MM stuff that I ordered won't get here until Monday, but I can't wait because I just love the Gardonova's design since it's a chunky Gogg.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mounted the new BUFF ARMS. I... I think I may have gone too far with this one.. :ohdear:
This baby can fit so many missile pods *slaps foot of mech suit*

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just finished building my spoils from Japan, and I wanted to share some pictures before I ruin it trying to apply panel lining and decals:

Y'all weren't kidding when you said the skeleton would seem miraculous compared to what I had seen before. The range of motion is so much greater than those older models, and the joints stay put so much better too.

I also love the skirt pockets for the knives and the way the cockpit opens up to an actual pilot seat.

If and when I do this again, I'm following the advice to use a metallic marker instead of the tiny shiny stickers. Those elbow joints were rough.

Can anyone point me to detailed advice on panel lining? I'd rather not mess this model up too bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

This baby can fit so many missile pods *slaps foot of mech suit*

It actually has no feet, just bigass booster engines for legs :rice:

The leg boosters also have missile pods attached to them.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

I just finished building my spoils from Japan, and I wanted to share some pictures before I ruin it trying to apply panel lining and decals:

Y'all weren't kidding when you said the skeleton would seem miraculous compared to what I had seen before. The range of motion is so much greater than those older models, and the joints stay put so much better too.

I also love the skirt pockets for the knives and the way the cockpit opens up to an actual pilot seat.

If and when I do this again, I'm following the advice to use a metallic marker instead of the tiny shiny stickers. Those elbow joints were rough.

Can anyone point me to detailed advice on panel lining? I'd rather not mess this model up too bad.

first of all this looks great! you did a great job, especially with an RG and not having built in a long time

re: panel lining: i see a gundam marker on the desk there. all I do is draw in the lines with the marker, and then go over them with a q-tip. the q-tip removes any excess but won't touch the ink that's deeper in that recess of the panel line. if the q-tip does some smudging i'll just wipe the rest away with a clean finger. this is literally all there is to it

the only other thing i do is i keep three markers on hand; black, grey, and brown. I use black only for grey plastic like internal frames and for really dark pieces, i use grey for whites and light blues, and i use brown for warm colors like yellow, red, orange. i like the more subtle contrast of this method but its all up to preference

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It actually has no feet, just bigass booster engines for legs :rice:

The leg boosters also have missile pods attached to them.
Ah, the deluxe model for the missile pod enthusiast :v:

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

That is a pretty good job. Also, quick. The Gunpla bug has definitely got you.
Bandai themselves even gave up on those awful elbow joint stickers. A good idea that just never really worked.

Panel lining really is as easy as described above. Maybe hit the Q-tip with a bit of rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid to make it clean faster. Give it a try dry first and see how it feels to you.
You might have a bit of trouble lining any very fine lines on the RG. Those fine markers look super tiny until you actually get them on the model. Pour type markers can get into any little crevice.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Almost done the f91. Replacement v-fin is in and now I just have some slight clean up and then to screw around with my camera so the blue leds aren't blinding when you have a frontal shot of the kit

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's my understanding that the metallic marker paint can be easily cleaned up with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip correct? I want to get the really precise silver details on the sazabi but the markers really aren't the best at that level of precision, and I'd like to just gently splat it in and clean up the borders

also the markers are great. doing the gold on the yellow pieces is transformative

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

it's my understanding that the metallic marker paint can be easily cleaned up with some isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip correct? I want to get the really precise silver details on the sazabi but the markers really aren't the best at that level of precision, and I'd like to just gently splat it in and clean up the borders

also the markers are great. doing the gold on the yellow pieces is transformative

Toothpicks are your friend. Also, marker metallic detailing on the Sazabi remains the highest payoff-for-effort customization I’ve done yet.

(The MG Going Merry paint job I’m working on will probably be even better payoff, but that’s been half a year of my modeling time so far with no end in sight)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I hadn't considered using a toothpick, thx. I'm really getting into this one and I want it to look its best, but I'm not really down for full-on painting, not yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Buck Wildman posted:

I hadn't considered using a toothpick, thx. I'm really getting into this one and I want it to look its best, but I'm not really down for full-on painting, not yet

Ooh me neither, cheers for the tip!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For best results, you need to get it when it's dry but not fully cured.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/qog9j76QeGWjuhV/status/1666285414771204097

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tin Tim posted:

Ah, the deluxe model for the missile pod enthusiast :v:

So many missile pods.

And the shoulder pods too.

edit: Building the Ground Frame Aestivalis Moderoid and a few things so far;

The elbow-to-forearm joints are absolute fuckers to lock in because they notch into their hinge.

The antenna needs a dab of glue. The lower antenna is also fragile as gently caress, so be very careful with it (:rip: mine falling off immediately).

The forearm gauntlet hinges for the back-pieces that open are loving terrifying to assemble, but lock in and operate quite safely once it's all assembled.

This thing is, most surprisingly of all for me, smaller than the old Bandai HG version. However it does continues the tradition of loving up the base colour on the weapons with the rifle and knives being on gray runners instead of black :psyduck:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 8, 2023

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

p-bandai us randomly just put a bunch of stuff up for immediate shipping, not pre-order

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's just a little better than the old HG kits.

Overall it's not my favourite Moderoid kit so far, but it's not terrible. I need to find the instructions for the Bandai one though, because oddly some of the engineering in this one feels like they cribbed off it a bit in places. I know there's only so many ways to build a model kit, but there's just something... similar in how it's built in places. They also should've really made it a little bigger, they're non-scale anyway, and building it this small just feels like it's making more trouble for themselves in how small some of the parts have to be as a result. This one's a rough 7/10 for me. Not bad by any stretch, just could've been done better in places I think.

There's actually two guns and knives included as they're on a doubled runner with limb parts (like the old HG, incidentally). The kit's actually holding one painted up with the EX silver marker.

This one's also laid out a little weird in a way that feels wasteful. There's a lot of smaller runners, but it's mostly mirrored parts for the left and right limbs and I feel they could've consolidated several together given it's all mostly gray. I checked in the Aerial Frame and the weapons are gray there too, so I feel if they knew ahead there'd be standardized parts they could've allotted another black runner (or at least a larger one) to include weaponry to share between them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I finally went the next step and got a display case from Ikea. Not a Detolf, but I got the Milsbo in black to go with the TV stand that'll be next to it in my loft.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1667185496420696071?t=XDrvj_BrA4iJzflMpAsTPQ&s=19

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I have finally finished painting my Rezel.

Now to wait for the paint to cure.

Then I can put it together.

Then I can top coat the whole thing.

Then I can wait for that to cure.

Then I'll be done.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

What is this "done" you speak of?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

this whole hobby is an exercise in extreme discipline. every day I see like 2-3 models I wanna do and have a get thee behind me satan moment

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There's an HG The O at my local Barnes and Noble. I don't know why it's there. But it taunts me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Buck Wildman posted:

this whole hobby is an exercise in extreme discipline. every day I see like 2-3 models I wanna do and have a get thee behind me satan moment

Random thoughts: Maybe my next build should be another G-Witch kit. Zowort or Chuchu's Demi

My other thoughts: Bitch you haven't even touched the action base or rose bits on the Gundam Rose

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

I have enough plastic on the shelf unbuilt to keep me busy for a year, and here I am drooling over new kits and different genres I want to try out. It's really hard to resist the siren song of a $300 M61A5 kit to bridge the gap between mecha and armor modeling, despite knowing I wouldn't get to building it for many many months.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's the HG Kshatriya that's currently wooing me but I shall be strong. I made the mistake of peeking inside the psycho zaku box and was like welp that's my summer

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

it's the HG Kshatriya that's currently wooing me but I shall be strong. I made the mistake of peeking inside the psycho zaku box and was like welp that's my summer

My HG Kshatriya is in pieces because I started it before losing my hobby space years ago and never got back to it. I've still got all the parts and any day now(tm) I'll get back to making it pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of want to get the RG Sky Grasper so I can swap out striker packs with my Strike Gundam, but then I look at the price. Shipped, it costs about 1.5x what I paid for the actual Gundam. I think starting with Japan pricing has inoculated me against buying too much plastic.