Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since this started off as the Jan 6 thread, I figured I'd post this interview I found with the ex wife of the founder of the Proud Boys Oath Keepers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJ1qXe60is

It's quite long but, IMO, well worth a listen and I've been digesting it in small bites.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So if and when Trump gets indicted does he basically have to redo everything he did in the NY indictment like fly out to DC to get fingerprinted and arraigned and all that? And then I'm assuming let go. Or is it different with a federal indictment?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BiggerBoat posted:

Since this started off as the Jan 6 thread, I figured I'd post this interview I found with the ex wife of the founder of the Proud Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJ1qXe60is

It's quite long but, IMO, well worth a listen and I've been digesting it in small bites.

Can you give at least a general summary?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

So if and when Trump gets indicted does he basically have to redo everything he did in the NY indictment like fly out to DC to get fingerprinted and arraigned and all that? And then I'm assuming let go. Or is it different with a federal indictment?

Who knows?

However I think this is trump priming the pump like he did with Bragg. Stealing the thunder of the actual indictment by head faking it a week or two early to get the news cycle past it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

BleachChlorineBit

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

cr0y posted:

Sorry for the double post but my app is completely loving borked at the moment and I can't edit for some reason.

I'm seeing it start to be reported that Trump's lawyers were in fact meeting with Smiths people today and well....

Looks like they’ve finally got him this time!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

Who knows?

However I think this is trump priming the pump like he did with Bragg. Stealing the thunder of the actual indictment by head faking it a week or two early to get the news cycle past it.

Except his twoots or whatever they are called get absolutely no coverage but a former president getting indicted for stealing classified documents is probablyyyy gonna make the news.

Who knows, he always sounds like a deranged lunatic but if he heard today that he was going to be indicted soon I'm assuming this is what his brain would spill out

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Murgos posted:

Or days. The House GOP is... flinging monkey poo as fast as they can about Wray covering up a billion dollar crime of the century, which our god's Rudy reported in June 2020 to attack the top candidate in an election and he's gonna so get impeached and removed from office :supaburn: pay no attention to the man who committed treason by hoarding top secret documents and calling up a bunch of people to overthrow the government and landed them all in prison because gently caress we helped and they can't indict us because that would be woke.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Clarste posted:

Can you give at least a general summary?

Ex wife goes into detail about The Oath Keepers founder's behavior, obsessions, evolution, mental health, friendships and abusive tendencies that she was exposed to during their marriage. Gives a good insight into the guy's mental make up

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Or days. The House GOP is... flinging monkey poo as fast as they can about Wray covering up a billion dollar crime of the century, which our god's Rudy reported in June 2020 to attack the top candidate in an election and he's gonna so get impeached and removed from office :supaburn: pay no attention to the man who committed treason by hoarding top secret documents and calling up a bunch of people to overthrow the government and landed them all in prison because gently caress we helped and they can't indict us because that would be woke.

Could be days. Brookings institute podcast lawfare is saying there are strong rumors that Trump got a target letter from Smith last week and that’s why the meeting was granted for yesterday.

One of the podcasters for Brookings was deputy AG under Obama and they’ve had current DAGs on a few times so they have the contacts to know if it’s real or not and they don’t usually do a lot of baseless speculation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

He keeps calling it a witch hunt, so that's admission that he's a witch, and what do we do with witches? Hint, we don't build bridges out of them.
This made me remember an old A.F. Branco cartoon that implies he thinks being the target of a “witch hunt” means that witches are hunting you:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Ex wife goes into detail about The Oath Keepers founder's behavior, obsessions, evolution, mental health, friendships and abusive tendencies that she was exposed to during their marriage. Gives a good insight into the guy's mental make up

Isn't this the guy who asked the court for credit due to "time served" being the leader of the oath keepers?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sekhmnet posted:

Isn't this the guy who asked the court for credit due to "time served" being the leader of the oath keepers?

Yep. Real piece of poo poo, that guy.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

This made me remember an old A.F. Branco cartoon that implies he thinks being the target of a “witch hunt” means that witches are hunting you:

Duck Hunt was self defense

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mark Meadows testified before the DC grand jury today. Here’s an NYT link, but there’s no new information in there besides that it happened at some point recently so I’m not quoting it.

Certainly seems like something is gonna pop off soon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I came to post that because it's the first reporting I'm aware of that Meadows has testified at all.

I wish there was more information.

quote:

Mark Meadows Testified to Grand Jury in Special Counsel Investigation of Trump

Mr. Meadows, the final White House chief of staff under Donald Trump, is seen as a potentially key witness in the documents and Jan. 6 inquiries.

June 6, 2023, 5:32 p.m. ET

Mark Meadows, the final White House chief of staff under President Donald J. Trump and a potentially key figure in inquiries related to Mr. Trump, has testified before a federal grand jury hearing evidence in the investigations being led by the special counsel’s office, according to two people briefed on the matter.

Mr. Meadows is a figure in both of the two distinct lines of inquiry being pursued by the special counsel appointed to oversee the Justice Department’s scrutiny of Mr. Trump, Jack Smith.

One inquiry is focused on Mr. Trump’s efforts to cling to power after losing the 2020 election, culminating in the attack by a pro-Trump mob on the Capitol during congressional certification of the Electoral College results on Jan. 6, 2021. The other is an investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of hundreds of classified documents after he left office and whether he obstructed efforts to retrieve them.

It is not clear precisely when Mr. Meadows testified or if investigators questioned him about one or both of the cases.

For months, people in Mr. Trump’s orbit have been puzzled by and wary about the low profile kept by Mr. Meadows in the investigations. As reports surfaced of one witness after another going into the grand jury or to be interviewed by federal investigators, Mr. Meadows has kept largely out of sight, and some of Mr. Trump’s advisers believe he could be a significant witness in the inquiries.

Mr. Trump himself has at times asked aides questions about how Mr. Meadows is doing, according to a person familiar with the remarks.

Asked about the grand jury testimony, a lawyer for Mr. Meadows, George Terwilliger, said, “Without commenting on whether or not Mr. Meadows has testified before the grand jury or in any other proceeding, Mr. Meadows has maintained a commitment to tell the truth where he has a legal obligation to do so.”

Mr. Meadows was a polarizing figure at the White House among some of Mr. Trump’s aides, who saw him as a loose gatekeeper at best during a final year in which the former president moved aggressively to mold the government in his image.

Mr. Meadows was around for pivotal moments leading up to and after the 2020 election, as Mr. Trump plotted to try to stay in office and thwart Joseph R. Biden Jr. from being sworn in to succeed him. Some of them were described in hundreds of text messages that Mr. Meadows turned over to the House select committee that investigated the Jan. 6 attack at the Capitol before he decided to stop cooperating. Those texts served as a road map for House investigators.

But Mr. Meadows also has insight into efforts by the National Archives to retrieve roughly two dozen boxes of presidential material that officials had been told Mr. Trump took with him when he left the White House in January 2021. Mr. Meadows was one of Mr. Trump’s representatives to the archives, and he had some role in trying to discuss the matter with Mr. Trump, according to two people briefed on the matter.

Mr. Meadows is also now connected tangentially to a potentially vital piece of evidence that investigators uncovered in recent months: an audio recording of an interview that Mr. Trump gave to two people assisting Mr. Meadows in writing a memoir of his White House years.

Mr. Meadows did not attend the meeting, which took place in July 2021 at Mr. Trump’s club at Bedminster, N.J. During the meeting, Mr. Trump referred to a document he appeared to have in front of him and suggested that he should have declassified it but that he no longer could, since he was out of office.

That recording could undercut Mr. Trump’s claim that he believed he had declassified all material still held at his properties for months after he left office.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He’s had a long and complicated back and forth relationship with all of the investigations now under Smith , going back to the beginning of the January 6 Committee. He’s basically been doing the hokey-pokey : in, out, etc.

That’s why they have these weird lopsided evidence pieces, he backed out in the middle of handing them over. (That very normal thing you do.) So it’s been assumed that he has some very complex relationships going on, some of which are not visible. Legal, moral, personal, maybe even sexual who knows what kind of reasons.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Smith empanels a grand jury in Florida. :psyduck:

Okay, so the DC grand jury is going to bring 53 charges for election interference and violating campaign finance laws and treason via an attempted overthrow of the government; and the FL gj will bring 130 charges of espionage and illegal transport and storage of classified material and treason via selling secrets?

Or has the investigation turned up yet another collection of crimes that requires this second gj?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The GJ in FL could be to prosecute crimes that only happened in FL after Trump left DC, but it could also be as simple as a step to get testimony from someone who couldn't testify in DC. At this time we only know that it exists.

I suspect it will be the former, but I don't have any evidence to base that on. It just feels more likely to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why are you assuming a trial would be in Florida? It’s way too early to say anything like that, right?

I assume Trump is going to try to have it in Florida, but he needs to be in court before he can do anything like that.

I was silly and can’t read. This monument bears my shame.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Depending on the crimes Smith thinks he can successfully charge, he might need. FL grand jury to indict for crimesnin FL, like unlawfully retaining classified documents.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is what a small child would come up with.

And it will work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

V-Men posted:

Depending on the crimes Smith thinks he can successfully charge, he might need. FL grand jury to indict for crimesnin FL, like unlawfully retaining classified documents.

Isn't that a federal crime, though? (IANAL)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Ynglaur posted:

Isn't that a federal crime, though? (IANAL)

Sure. I think if main nexus of the crime is in FL, then they'll still go through the local judicial district.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Former Trump aide arrives at Miami courthouse to appear before grand jury in classified documents probe

quote:

Taylor Budowich, who has worked as a spokesman for Donald Trump, has arrived at the federal courthouse in Miami to appear before a grand jury as part of special counsel Jack Smith’s investigation into the former president’s handling of classified documents.

Budowich and his attorney, Stanley Woodward, declined to answer questions as they arrived.

Still aligned closely with the former president, Budowich now runs a super PAC backing Trump called MAGA, Inc.

The grand jury based in southern Florida has heard testimony from multiple witnesses in recent weeks as part of the federal investigation that has relied for months on grand juries in Washington, DC, to help gather evidence and witness testimony.

Smith’s investigation into potential mishandling of classified materials and possible obstruction appears to be nearing the final stages of the investigation.

More witnesses for the witness god.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O so we're going after the money now, I guess.

It'd probably be good if we could stop the endless supply of grift-cash, yeah.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Smith has 4 grand juries now that we know of?

DC Jan 06
DC Documents
DC Financials (subpoenad LIV golf)
And now Fl for what looks like crimes committed entirely in Florida by (Not Trump?) Floridians that would be to handle spills and obstruction related to documents?

Also ongoing state GJs in GA and MI?

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1666532902342135808

Prosecutors reportedly are ready to ask grand jurors to vote on a Trump indictment as early as TOMORROW on charges of Obstruction of Justice and Espionage Act violations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The Independant says they are going to be asking for espionage charges and that Meadows has flipped.

:drat: if the latter is true.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Caros posted:

The Independant says they are going to be asking for espionage charges and that Meadows has flipped.

:drat: if the latter is true.

Seems like the statute they want to charge doesn’t even require the documents be classified, only that they relate to the national defense.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Espionage act violations are really loving serious charges.

Caros
May 14, 2008

cr0y posted:

Espionage act violations are really loving serious charges.

Yeah. I was decidedly meh on the NY charges for the hush money stuff because while technically a crime, it very much felt like a case that wouldn't have come around if he wasn't who he was and would likely not amount to much even if they won beyond the embarrassment of 'former president did a crime'

This, uh... This seems like a crime that might see him in an actual cell.

That and, if they flipped Meadows, then I think it is a fair assumption thry might have him for Jan 6th/Georgia bullshit as well.

Caros fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 7, 2023

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I am totally here for this.

Here is the article:

quote:

Prosecutors ready to ask for Trump indictment on obstruction and Espionage Act charges

The Independent has learned that prosecutors are prepared to ask grand jurors to vote on charges as early as Thursday

The Department of Justice is preparing to ask a Washington, DC grand jury to indict former president Donald Trump for violating the Espionage Act and for obstruction of justice as soon as Thursday, adding further weight to the legal baggage facing Mr Trump as he campaigns for his party’s nomination in next year’s presidential election.

The Independent has learned that prosecutors are ready to ask grand jurors to approve an indictment against Mr Trump for violating a portion of the US criminal code known as Section 793, which prohibits “gathering, transmitting or losing” any “information respecting the national defence”.

The use of Section 793, which does not make reference to classified information, is understood to be a strategic decision by prosecutors that has been made to short-circuit Mr Trump’s ability to claim that he used his authority as president to declassify documents he removed from the White House and kept at his Palm Beach, Florida property long after his term expired on 20 January 2021.

That section of US criminal law is written in a way that could encompass Mr Trump’s conduct even if he was authorised to possess the information as president because it states that anyone who “lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document ...relating to the national defence,” and “willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it” can be punished by as many as ten years in prison.

It is understood that prosecutors intend to ask grand jurors to vote on the indictment on Thursday, but that vote could be delayed as much as a week until the next meeting of the grand jury to allow for a complete presentation of evidence, or to allow investigators to gather more evidence for presentation of necessary.

A separate grand jury that is meeting in Florida has also been hearing evidence in the documents investigation. That grand jury was empaneled in part to overcome legal issues posed by the fact that some of the crimes allegedly committed by Mr Trump took place in that jurisdiction, not in Washington. Under federal law, prosecutors must bring charges against federal defendants in the jurisdiction where the crimes took place.

Another source familiar with the matter has said Mr Trump’s team was recently informed that he is a “target” of the Justice Department probe, which began in early 2022 after National Archives and Records Administration officials discovered more than 100 documents bearing classification markings in a set of 15 boxes of Trump administration records retrieved from Mar-a-Lago, the century-old mansion turned private beach club where Mr Trump maintains his primary residence and post-presidential office.

Over the course of the last year, grand jurors have heard testimony from numerous associates of the ex-president, including nearly every employee of Mar-a-Lago, former administration officials who worked in Mr Trump’s post-presidential office and for his political operation, and former high-ranking administration officials such as his final White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows.

Mr Meadows has already given evidence before the grand jury and is said to be cooperating with the investigation into his former boss. It is understood that the former North Carolina congressman will plead guilty to several federal charges as part of a deal for which he has already received limited immunity in exchange for his testimony.

It is not yet known whether the testimony or the charges in question relate to the documents probe, or a separate investigation into the January 6 attack on the Capitol. Both investigations are being overseen by a Department of Justice special prosecutor, Jack Smith.

According to ABC News, Mr Meadows has given evidence in both the documents matter and the January 6 investigation.

In the documents matter, prosecutors are also prepared to ask grand jurors to indict Mr Trump on charges that he obstructed justice during the year-long investigation and caused false statements to be made to investigators by persons working for him.

It is possible that such charges could stem from a declaration submitted to federal investigators roughly a year ago, when FBI agents and prosecutors visited his home to retrieve a sealed folder filled with 38 classified documents which Mr Trump’s attorneys turned over in response to a grand jury subpoena. If so, those charges could come in federal court in Florida, rather than in Washington.

According to court documents, the government subsequently developed evidence indicating that documents had been removed from a storage room where his attorneys had stated that all such documents were being stored in the days following the receipt of the grand jury subpoena.

Using that evidence, which reportedly includes surveillance footage taken by cameras placed in the interior of Mar-a-Lago, prosecutors obtained a search warrant for the property that was carried out by FBI agents on 8 August last year.

During that search, special agents discovered 103 documents bearing classification markings, including 18 marked “top secret,” 54 marked “secret,” and 31 marked as “confidential,” including a number of documents that were stored in Mr Trump’s personal office.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 7, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O my loving god yes.

If Meadows flipped then huuuuuuuuge chunks of the investigation just turned into gravy.

Curious how he’s involved in the documents case exactly though. That’s been a bit of a mystery.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol no way

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Caros posted:

Yeah. I was decidedly meh on the NY charges for the hush money stuff because while technically a crime, it very much felt like a case that wouldn't have come around if he wasn't who he was and would likely not amount to much even if they won beyond the embarrassment of 'former president did a crime'

This, uh... This seems like a crime that might see him in an actual cell.

That and, if they flipped Meadows, then I think it is a fair assumption thry might have him for Jan 6th/Georgia bullshit as well.

If the reporting is right, Meadows pleaded out on charges himself, so it really does sound like they did flip the bastard. I don't want to get too hopeful because *waves vaguely at all of America*, but this does seem like actual movement for once.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my loving god yes.

If Meadows flipped then huuuuuuuuge chunks of the investigation just turned into gravy.

Curious how he’s involved in the documents case exactly though. That’s been a bit of a mystery.

There was reporting on at least one conversation where Meadows had to explain to Donald that no, you can't take all the classified poo poo with you. That and refuting Trump's 'I had a standing policy to psychically declassify documents' lie are probably helpful.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Could build walls around Mar a Lago and go all Escape from New York with it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

They got his text messages with trump.

code:
you have that truck still?

What are you doing Friday?

Just boxes. I’ll buy beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The Mattering is finally upon us.