Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Any reason to get this on PC versus PS5? Got a few friends who might pick this up on PS5, I know cross play works but party/chat management would be easier if I just got in on PS5 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

Yea I got one as well and found it pretty mediocre unfortunately. Also gloves is one of the few armor slots that has crit chance and not having crit on a glove sucks.

I'm still testing them out but it looks like it's literally for one attack so maybe not as great as I thought, in practice.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've been in t4 for like 8 hours now and still not wearing anything but my 2h as ancestral. I have high roll aspects for almost every slot saved up but just have yet to find anything with more than 2 good stats on my other slots, whew this is going to take a while

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Popete posted:

Any reason to get this on PC versus PS5? Got a few friends who might pick this up on PS5, I know cross play works but party/chat management would be easier if I just got in on PS5 as well.

Only if you have something against using a controller and want mouse/kb. I picked it up on PS5 and it's been fantastic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Popete posted:

With crossplay it's just a matter of how you view performance and how your friends communicate. I hear the console versions of the game are perfectly fine save for some networking troubles for some. My friends just get on a discord call so there's no platform barrier at all so ymmv.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
PoE is definitely a game for people who enjoy tinkering with complex systems.

Diablo is and always has been much more casual/arcade-y in that respect, where you can just pick it up and more or less figure it out on your own.

I think if you preferred TQ, you might like Diablo. But also remember that we often view the past through rose-colored fog of nostalgia.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Is there a point where chain lightning sorc stops feeling like babbies first Molten Core run where I need to stop and rest for snacks and juice in between every pack? I'm constantly oom and I'm getting super burnt out by the renown grind going into Nightmare and hitting a wall increasing power around lvl53.
There's a lot to do and I like so much of it but this character sucks for having to rely on the 60 second Unstable Currents CD. If I fight without it I'm just kiting around waiting to get enough resource to pop off a single chain lightning cast that doesn't do much damage.

I can't manage to target the aspects I need to make this build usable with tree of whispers, if I take a weapon cache I get a legendary helm or something and that feels not great.
Should I just keep banging on renown to get the Paragon points? Start doing enough helltides that I can enchant something into being usable? Roll a ww barb and hope I can get back to 50 before they get nerfed again?

I fixed mana problems o-kay and am working very hard on fixing the CD portion. There's a node on the paragon board that gives you 10 mana when you stun a close enemy. There's a unique chest that pulls in enemies and stuns them when you teleport. You can stack crackling energy? charge? whatever to try to improve your cooldowns. I've basically taken every single thing to improve it, including paragon board node, aspect that lets it chain, can hit more after teleport, etc. There is also a lucky hit mod that has % chance to restore % of mana. Also generate 12 mana per charge picked up. So.. a lot of stuff going into generating mana. I'm not sure it's the best way to build but it's been working for me. Currently level 72ish.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Popete posted:

Discord exists now on PS5 right? You can probably play on PC if you wanted, but would have to convince everyone to get discord (no idea how it works on ps5)

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Finally into WT4, first dungeon greeted me with the butcher.

I also got an ancestral version of that dumb unique with 10k thorns on it. That is a lot of thorns... They should let you strip the level requirement off stuff like D3 so I can run around exploding anything that dare touch me with an alt.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

does anyone know if attack speed also affects cast speed?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've gotten many other helms since this one but I've salvaged/sold most of them. This one with its healing status just can't be beat IMO.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

M. Night Skymall posted:

I also got an ancestral version of that dumb unique with 10k thorns on it. That is a lot of thorns... They should let you strip the level requirement off stuff like D3 so I can run around exploding anything that dare touch me with an alt.

Does he drop that every time? I killed him at like level 20 and didn't get it. Hopefully didn't just pass over it somehow.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

Does he drop that every time? I killed him at like level 20 and didn't get it. Hopefully didn't just pass over it somehow.

I was just going to ask the same actually. I killed him with a friend in WT3 and he got a trophy but I don't recall seeing one drop for me.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Kaddish posted:

No I've killed him a bunch of times, I think it's just rare maybe?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The biggest thing that fixed going from leveling stuff to higher stuff is realizing you probably don’t need 5 points in your basic skill anymore

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

kater posted:

The biggest thing that fixed going from leveling stuff to higher stuff is realizing you probably don’t need 5 points in your basic skill anymore

Yeah basic skills should be 1 point max like ults are. It's just a newbie trap as is

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

does anyone know if attack speed also affects cast speed?

Attack speed does affect how rapidly you can cast abilities as long as they're not on cooldown of course. This is why I'll never use 2 handed weapons with my Necromancer, it would take forever to pop all these corpses.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Attack speed does affect how rapidly you can cast abilities as long as they're not on cooldown of course. This is why I'll never use 2 handed weapons with my Necromancer, it would take forever to pop all these corpses.

ah okay, so for resource generation purposes, a fast one hander is vastly preferred, and IAS will help generation too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there a new overflow clan yet?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Man I am on day two of just looking for literally anything sacred with resource regen and reduced mana cost on it and coming up short. Feels bad to not have a single upgrade (in any slot for that matter) for two days while I grind out renown.

Ice shard really needs this!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's pretty neato that you get random horse mtx from rare mobs. I got horse armor from the world boss, and it honestly was a pleasant surprise. I haven't seen anyone else running around with it on and I feel special. 10/10 GOTY

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Renown grind complete!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So what's the best class?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Slow News Day posted:

So what's the best class?

Necro. Always has been, always will be in all Diablo games.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

totalnewbie posted:

I fixed mana problems o-kay and am working very hard on fixing the CD portion. There's a node on the paragon board that gives you 10 mana when you stun a close enemy. There's a unique chest that pulls in enemies and stuns them when you teleport. You can stack crackling energy? charge? whatever to try to improve your cooldowns. I've basically taken every single thing to improve it, including paragon board node, aspect that lets it chain, can hit more after teleport, etc. There is also a lucky hit mod that has % chance to restore % of mana. Also generate 12 mana per charge picked up. So.. a lot of stuff going into generating mana. I'm not sure it's the best way to build but it's been working for me. Currently level 72ish.

Bad rear end, we’re running very similar builds so this is excellent info

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've been getting so many crashes today. Dunno if it's just more common later in the game but it loving sucks to lose nightmare dungeon progress 3 times in a row from crashes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got a unique item that says my Rain of Arrows is always imbued with all imbuements. Unfortunately, the rain of arrows triggered by one of my legendary effects is not proper name Rain of Arrows, so there's no synergy unless I switch to bows.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When I got my first unique this morning, it felt like it was a long time coming. I was level 62 when it finally dropped. Funny thing is now the game's throwing unique legendary items at me.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
What makes players drop an ear? I wandered into the PvP zone, ganked a necro, then went to the shrine to cash in the mass amount of shards he was hoarding and we engaged in a protracted duel where we could get eachother under 10% but not quite nab the kill, until I finally killed him when I had 1 potion left. He dropped his ear and now it is my trophy.

There should be more people in the pvp zones, it's largely pve.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Is there a point where chain lightning sorc stops feeling like babbies first Molten Core run where I need to stop and rest for snacks and juice in between every pack? I'm constantly oom and I'm getting super burnt out by the renown grind going into Nightmare and hitting a wall increasing power around lvl53.
There's a lot to do and I like so much of it but this character sucks for having to rely on the 60 second Unstable Currents CD. If I fight without it I'm just kiting around waiting to get enough resource to pop off a single chain lightning cast that doesn't do much damage.

I can't manage to target the aspects I need to make this build usable with tree of whispers, if I take a weapon cache I get a legendary helm or something and that feels not great.
Should I just keep banging on renown to get the Paragon points? Start doing enough helltides that I can enchant something into being usable? Roll a ww barb and hope I can get back to 50 before they get nerfed again?

I switched from chain lightning to pure arc slash and it's a night and day difference. Trying to juggle damage, survivability, cooldowns, and mana as CL just wasn't working.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I've got a question for/about sorcerers: is there any reason to invest in a Core AND a Mastery skill, like chain lightning AND ball lightning or fireball AND meteor? As far as I can tell, both those categories consist of attacks which cost mana, have no cooldown, and stack with themselves, so they're competing with each other except in the sense of having different AoE shapes and secondary effects.

Also, given the capstone passives all being themed around some elemental mechanic or other, is there a reason to use multiple elements except maybe in the sense of branching out with which defensive cooldown you're running?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

What makes players drop an ear? I wandered into the PvP zone, ganked a necro, then went to the shrine to cash in the mass amount of shards he was hoarding and we engaged in a protracted duel where we could get eachother under 10% but not quite nab the kill, until I finally killed him when I had 1 potion left. He dropped his ear and now it is my trophy.

if its like the other games, they drop an ear when you kill them

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Quoted for truth. I replayed D3 for an hour just prior to the prerelease of D4 to see if the story was as bad as I actually remembered it being. It is all SO overdone, and not in a good way. When Deckard pops up and says "SKELETON KING!" (yes, that's his name - Skeleton King), I was reminded that yeah, this story was terribly cheesy. And, of course, everything involving Adria is so overblown "curse your inevitable betrayal" that it's almost laughable.

D4, while still occasionally trope-y, is just so much more my jam in terms of tone. It's much closer to the somber elements of D2 that made me fall in love with the setting. I'm down.

Yeah, the loving skeleton king was pretty much the moment I realised that the writing in D3 wouldn't be good for much of anything. The guy literally closes out his monologue with a melodramatic evil laugh. D4 by contrast works a lot better. It does feel a bit dreary at times, but then again this is a functionally post-apocalyptic world. Overall they do manage to settle on a tone and generally nail it a lot better.

e: whoops I should've refreshed the tab

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

The game has been officially out for like 1.5 days, and most people have school, a job, or other hobbies so they aren't all 20+ hours into the game.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
From what I understand you need to finish the acts to start ‘end game’ stuff and advancing world tiers. So should I just make a beeline and finish the acts and forget about exploring stuff like dungeons until later?

Edit: I know the thread moved fast so I’ll ask again. Is there a PlayStation clan?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Jose Oquendo posted:

From what I understand you need to finish the acts to start ‘end game’ stuff and advancing world tiers. So should I just make a beeline and finish the acts and forget about exploring stuff like dungeons until later?

At a minimum, rushing the first 3 acts lets you get to mounts asap which makes everything else much nicer.

I'm in act 5 collecting lilith statues before I finish campaign and activate pvp zones/etc and it's so much easier w/the mount.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'd only focus on moving up to the next tier if it's getting too easy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Renown grind complete!

bro it hasn't even been a week!!!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whew, just beat the campaign and then I got disconnected for the second time today. Oh well I guess I should take a break anyways.

I was confident this game would be terrible leading up to the betas; then I was kinda intrigued but still pessimistic. That continued for the first ~30 levels or so, but I gotta say the tail end of the campaign and getting 40+ and really starting to piece together even just some basic Aspects... The game seems very promising to be actually good and have a lot more diversity than I've been thinking.

And all along the music was good. Story was enjoyable. Even the in-engine cinematics impressed me, whereas they seemed cheap and underbaked in D3.

Genuinely impressed with Blizzard on this one.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Looks like some maintenance is going on, was in a dungeon kicking rear end and next thing I knew was out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

bro it hasn't even been a week!!!!

Technically it’s been a day.