Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I'm redacting my redaction.

drat i missed the leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

the appendix of the human being is still vestigial even when it cannot be ignored

I don't think the appendix is vestigial, though, because it stores microorganisms for when you poo poo your rear end out so you've still got a reserve of bowel buddies

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I'm redacting my redaction.

I have no idea what tis was but I'm going to assume it was bad and you just postponed to offensive by dodging a probe.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

tiger armor? so now the asiatic hordes are stealing Europe’s heritage of naming things after big cats? smdh

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

nigel thornberry posted:

tiger armor? so now the asiatic hordes are stealing Europe’s heritage of naming things after big cats? smdh

tigers don't even have armor they should call it the turtlecar

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Lostconfused posted:

Sure, but they're still heavily propagandized by the media. Euorpeans are dumb racists, but they probably don't completely understand how badly things would go for them.
Don't extend that line of thinking too far on the power of propaganda to dictate public opinion or you might reach some unfortunate conclusions about the nature of liberal democracies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hatebag posted:

I don't think the appendix is vestigial, though, because it stores microorganisms for when you poo poo your rear end out so you've still got a reserve of bowel buddies

These bowel "buddies" you speak of are no friends of mine.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ardennes posted:

Support for the war in Germany took an absolute dive when Bulgaria switched sides, not because of its strategic effect, but because it was the last lifeline for Germans for relative luxury goods like coffee and chocolate from Turkey.
lmao losing treats. Are Germans mad about losing treats but somehow not mad about immiserating themselves through crippling energy prices?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

you know poo poo's dire when the belgians are being the most reasonable euros

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

These bowel "buddies" you speak of are no friends of mine.

Oh yeah? Are you the soylent guy who killed all his gut bacteria so he wouldn't poo poo anymore?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

These polls are so interesting to me, because why are countries like Sweden and Denmark very gung-ho about this compared to others? What makes the Netherlands so much more about this tham Belgium, is it really just MH17?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

lmao losing treats. Are Germans mad about losing treats but somehow not mad about immiserating themselves through crippling energy prices?

Most Germans can still get treats, that is the important thing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that's not Belgium at the bottom i think its Bulgaria?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Hatebag posted:

Oh yeah? Are you the soylent guy who killed all his gut bacteria so he wouldn't poo poo anymore?

i wonder how the problem of gut bacteria would get resolved if we ever resurect a dead species

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Regarde Aduck posted:

belgium is usually shortened to BE right?
bulgaria being the outlier makes sense

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah I think youre right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1666455970652868617

poland...bad???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

threats to democracy sound good tbh

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Megamissen posted:

i wonder how the problem of gut bacteria would get resolved if we ever resurect a dead species

Well in humans some gut bacteria is transmitted in utero, then through contact with the birth canal and other people's skin, then you just eat it or inhale it. If it was possible to clone some extinct animal i doubt their gut bacteria needs couldn't just be met by modern bacteria/archaea that would be on their food. all that stuff needs to do is be hungry.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
for a funny few days the resurrected animal might poop and fart a lot, just flying around the room on jets of poo poo while all the scientists watch and clap

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

for a funny few days the resurrected animal might poop and fart a lot, just flying around the room on jets of poo poo while all the scientists watch and clap

following the reply chain up to see where this started is pretty wild

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

following the reply chain up to see where this started is pretty wild

this thread rocks

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

yeah I'm sick of that poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finally a reliable source steps up to settle this dam mystery once and for all

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1666514248401289216

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

if Russia somehow wins this there's gonna be a lot of awkward politics going forward

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A biologist wrote a detailed essay about that, I think it was in Jurassic Park and Philosophy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

the united states is going to abandon every single one of these guys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

when have we ever done that aside from all the times we did

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

depends on the dam and the missiles/artillery and exactly where they hit. im not sure how many, if any, direct hits the dam structure ever actually had from what caliber of artillery but generally reinforced concrete can hold up pretty well against run of the mill HE in run of the mill calibers. I'm pretty sure.

missiles and especially munitions that are purposebuilt to gently caress up reinforced concrete could and have popped dams. artillery probably could if it was just allowed to fire on it for ages and eventually compromise the structure enough. i imagine it'd be awhile though? an extremely unrealistically long while, i mean

still anything can decrease the integrity of the dam and make it more susceptible to failure from water pressure. engineers inspecting the dam would know whether or not that was the case. we can't.

concrete gravity dams are resilient but concrete arch dams require arching effects for stability and it wouldn’t necessary be that hard to destroy an arch dam. embankment dams are pretty good but if the reservoir is high enough, you just need to surgically breach the clay core leading to internal erosion or overtopping. munitions can also trigger static liquefaction for hydraulic fill dams. Aswan dam was the worlds most dangerous dam for a long time and part of the reason the Israel war ended so quickly was because Israel was threatening to bomb Aswan dam which would have been very easy to do with munition liquefaction and very bad

e: autocorrect

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

Europe's democratic roots aren't particularly deep tbh. Traditionally, European polities tended to be either kingdoms, or town leagues led by oligarchies of the most influential citizens. From the late 18th century onwards, these started to develop into more modern, centralised, nationalist, bureaucratic states that governed with varying degrees of enlightened(ish) authoritarianism. Actual democracies as we'd recognise them only date to post WW2 in much of western Europe (much later for places like Spain and Portugal) and post 1989-91 for Eastern Europe.

The stuff going on in places like Poland and Hungary is less a shocking departure from the norm and much more a return to how European polities have tended to be governed over the last few centuries imo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1666467135609090049

plz stop trying to trick me into watching tucker carlsons extremely visually boring ten minute video

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ecocide? bad news about your bankrollers zelenskyy…

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Yes but don't spoil the surprise.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

president xi, fire when ready

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1666527852261437440?t=gQdKn_MVPwZO7koSTTkF2A&s=19

Greater Poland is happening

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

feed it yogurt, duh. if it works for mcdonald kids it'll work for anything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A group of NATO countries may be willing to start world war three, if member states including the US do not provide guarantees of starting world war three

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1666539273217249280

thank u pedophile island

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Slavvy posted:

A group of NATO countries may be willing to start world war three, if member states including the US do not provide guarantees of starting world war three

would this count as a partition of Poland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pistol_Pete posted:

"Hi there, I'd like you to design and build an armoured vehicle that'll roll over if it so much as encounters a pebble, please."

It's just a Caterpillar d8 with ~3 tons of mild steel strapped to it. A d8 weighed about 23 tons. I don't think they were particularly prone to rolling, it's one of the classic tracked tractors for a reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!