Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I pop one of these over any of the permanently -on rocker switches with smart bulbs behind them. they have little snap off tab corners on them too in case you want the switch to still be reachable, but hard activate without intending to.

https://www.amazon.com/Option-Switch-Guards-Clear-Rocker/dp/B00DUBOSTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Happiness Commando posted:

What happens when I put a smart bulb behind a dumb switch? I have some overhead lights that I would like to tweak the color and intensity of, and then leave them at those settings forever (but turned on and off like a normal switchable light).

It gets turned off when someone flips the switch!

As others have mentioned, Hue lights got an update way back that lets them remember their last setting. You can use the app to configure its behavior, there are other options... "last setting" is what I use, but I think you can tell it to do something else if you want.

Used to be that on power up it would just turn on... which is really loving annoying when the power goes out in the middle of the night, then all the lights turn on when it's restored.

Lutron Aurora is a nice solution, and it integrates with Hue too:

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Aurora-Dimmer-Philips-Z3-1BRL-WH-L0/dp/B07RJ14FBS/

Not perfect, but if you have the old school toggle switches rather than decora it fixes the problem of people loving with the switch, and actually adds functionality via the dimmer.

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm probably not going to buy smart switches, so if I need to do that, I might just try a bunch of different intensity/color temp combinations until I find one that works.

Yeah that's kind of the lovely place everything is at right now. You can have a bulb that is color/temp selectable, but it's at the mercy of hard wired switches. Or you can use smart switches on dumb bulbs, but you don't get color/temp selection.

Or you can spend a bunch of money to get both a smart bulb AND a smart switch to make it right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My solution to that was replace the switch with a Leviton multi-button scene controller and map one of the buttons to off/zero brightness. Then you just have to remind people not to hit the one button that actually cuts power. But yes, it is also the expensive option

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

My solution to that was replace the switch with a Leviton multi-button scene controller and map one of the buttons to off/zero brightness. Then you just have to remind people not to hit the one button that actually cuts power. But yes, it is also the expensive option

Yeah I'd love to find a more economical solution - I have like 6 switches I'd like to replace.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I'd love to find a more economical solution - I have like 6 switches I'd like to replace.

The Kasa switches are only ~$11/ea for singles, ~$15 for 3 ways or dimmers, and $20 for the motion ones.

I'm slowly transitioning to them as I smarten the house.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

The Kasa switches are only ~$11/ea for singles, ~$15 for 3 ways or dimmers, and $20 for the motion ones.

I'm slowly transitioning to them as I smarten the house.

Hm but those seem like they're not for smart *bulbs*. From reading their site it seems like you use an app to control the switches, which presumably alter the voltage they're providing to the standard bulbs in order to turn them on/off or dim them. The lutron stuff as I understand it allows for a smart *bulb* to receive constant voltage and the switch is tied in somehow to signal the dimming/colour/etc changes via google home or apple whatever.

Am I misunderstanding this? I wish Govee would just make a light switch.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm using the Kasa and Shelly equipment natively, without the app, directly into HomeAssistant.

I haven't put both on a single circuit yet.
I've got one kasa switch for some outdoor lights, and I'll be installing the rest shortly.

The only smart bulb + smart switch location I have right now would be the hallway light.
When I put that all together I will report back.

Frankly I wasn't sure how smart switch+ smart bulb is any advantage outside of 'oops the smart bulb is offline because the switch is off'.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Hm but those seem like they're not for smart *bulbs*. From reading their site it seems like you use an app to control the switches, which presumably alter the voltage they're providing to the standard bulbs in order to turn them on/off or dim them. The lutron stuff as I understand it allows for a smart *bulb* to receive constant voltage and the switch is tied in somehow to signal the dimming/colour/etc changes via google home or apple whatever.

Am I misunderstanding this? I wish Govee would just make a light switch.

Assuming your talking about the Lutron switch cover above, it’s just a switch blocker that includes a smart dial/button that won’t actuate the switch itself.

All the hue stuff works over homekit/etc, so it can be easily controlled by any number of non-hue branded smarthome hardware and apps. Philips just hasn’t really built anything like that so Lutron jumped in.

If you prefer to stick to hue branded hardware, you can combine something like this

SAMOTECH Hue Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer V1 (Single Toggle V1) https://a.co/d/7xvDWi9

With one of the traditional hue dimmer switches

Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Remote, Turns Hue Lights On, Off, Dims or Brightens, Toggles Between Scenes, Hue Bridge Required, 1-Pack https://a.co/d/0UD8LB6

Or, if you don’t actually care about having the hue controlling physical switch where the current one is, just cover or lock the current switch and mount the hue branded one wherever. I have a few of the hue branded switches and they’re excellent. Click is good, battery lasts forever (literally for some of them as they’re button press powered), and they never ever disconnect. They can even be set to run pre-configured scenes, and if you get deep into the automation do different things based on time of day or other triggers.

Lutron pico remotes can also control hue bulbs via apple home and other automation platforms, but that requires the Lutron pro bridge (I think) and a lot more setup.

This may be way deeper than this thread typically goes, but on a separate note, has anyone used ESP32 controllers for custom sensor building? And has anyone ever used or know about the ThingPulse ESP gateways?

I’m currently planning to way over-engineer some smarthome problems (partially to solve a problem, partially for fun/a learning experience on working with micro-controllers), and was thinking about battery powered ESP32 sensors using the Adafruit feather and the ThingPulse gateway to keep battery life significantly longer by using ESPNow instead of wifi/BLE comms.

It’s not really clear to me, is the main functional difference between these 2 gateways just Ethernet comms vs WiFi comms? I see the WiFi version has 2x ESP32s vs just 1x in the Ethernet model, but I’m not really sure if this is just because it’s not communicating over WiFi or of there are other functional differences.

https://thingpulse.com/product/espgateway/

https://thingpulse.com/product/espgateway-ethernet-esp32-wifi-ble-gateway-with-rj45-ethernet-connector/

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
The Zooz 72 dimmer switches I have give you the option to use them either as scene controllers or physical switches, which is a nice option.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wanderless posted:

The Zooz 72 dimmer switches I have give you the option to use them either as scene controllers or physical switches, which is a nice option.

Hmm cool. So do scene controllers talk to google home etc or how do you pair them to 3rd party bulbs? Asking anyone, thanks. I have govee bulbs and I use google home.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I'm using them with a SmartThings hub for the moment, but will be migrating to Home Assistant when I have the time to make the transition.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

3am here and just had two cars out front speeding at the cul de sac. One was spraying paint balls at the other (I don’t think they were friends). I have the old school nest cameras (possibly 1st generation). Was looking at the reolink cameras and maybe getting an IR illuminator. Any other suggestions on lighting up the front of my home and recording the happenings? I sometimes wish I could get a license plate reader but not sure how to even go about doing that or if it’s even possible.

I also thought of getting the Reolink recorder. Heard the 16 channel one is loud so maybe the 8 channel one would be best.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you get the Reolink DVR, Ive got two nub cameras you can have for $make offer.

They updated the listing after I bought them and are not 3rd party compatible.

REOLINK 4MP PoE IP Camera, Add-on Outdoor Video Surveillance Cam to Home Security System, ONLY Work POE Camera System and NVR, Third Party Incompatible, D400 https://a.co/d/2pGWiuH

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Does anyone use Lutron Pico remotes to control Sonos audio zones? I just realized that you can use standard Picos instead of buying the “Sonos audio Picos” for twice as much.

The middle button is used to play favorite playlists or stations or whatever. How do I add/remove stuff from the favorites list that it cycles through? And how do I set a playlist to shuffle with the favorite button?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 5, 2023

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Just bought the Tapo ColorPro wifi security camera. Am really impressed in the color night vision and 2k images.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Why is TP Link forking the Kasa home automation into another brand? Does it need a separate app on it's own?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Alarbus posted:

Why is TP Link forking the Kasa home automation into another brand? Does it need a separate app on it's own?

Tapo is more known in Europe(and several other locales) where Kasa has pretty much failed to impress. Also it has a far better code base than the supposedly hodge hodge of code kasa relies on.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Just chiming in to mention my experience with Arlo cameras. I run a Blue Iris setup with a ton of different ONIV IP cameras around my property. My neighbor wanted some cameras and I'll be damned if I want to get myself into supporting something like that for her. I researched the top dogs in the battery powered camera world and decided to recommend to her Arlo.

I did the install for her and we went with four of the Essential Spotlight outdoor version with addon solar panel. I had already installed a nice mesh WiFi system for her years ago so he has good coverage around the perimeter of her house. The install and adding the cameras to her account insanely simple. ~$12/mo for the service for unlimited cameras and it seems to work really well. My next house when I move in a few years I may not even bother with Blue Iris and IP cameras that require electrical outlets or PoE again...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I need a camera for my garage. Requirements:

It's fully indoor, so not cold nor wet.
FOV like 100 degrees.
WiFi.
Record to SD card.
Doesn't need to be battery powered.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

bolind posted:

I need a camera for my garage. Requirements:

It's fully indoor, so not cold nor wet.
FOV like 100 degrees.
WiFi.
Record to SD card.
Doesn't need to be battery powered.

This fits the bill and I love this camera. Bought two of them.

TP-Link ColorPro Wi-Fi Outdoor Camera | Plug-in | Daylight Clarity at Night | 2K QHD | Person/Pet/Vehicle Detection | Local/Cloud Storage | 127° FOV | Built-in Siren | Works w/Alexa & Google Home https://a.co/d/23aPekg

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Curious to hear what the current hive-mind endorsed NVR is. I'm looking to replace my Nest Cams with something self hosted. I have the ability to run cable as needed for POE so also in the market for cameras that work best with whichever the NVR solution is. From a feature set, whatever is closest to the Nest works for me (detection of people/motion/zones) and ability to remotely view footage.

I have an Unraid server with tons of space and a UniFi dream machine Pro (also separate VLAN for Cameras), not sure if using UniFi's solution is an easy button or not. Not opposed to picking up a dedicated NUC or something to drive the NVR though. Solid camera recommendations for this would be sweet also. Curious to hear any thoughts as this space always seems to be changing, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I installed a bunch of Node Red in my new house, haven't really had a problem. Is there something about them that I should know about?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

TraderStav posted:

Curious to hear what the current hive-mind endorsed NVR is. I'm looking to replace my Nest Cams with something self hosted. I have the ability to run cable as needed for POE so also in the market for cameras that work best with whichever the NVR solution is. From a feature set, whatever is closest to the Nest works for me (detection of people/motion/zones) and ability to remotely view footage.

I have an Unraid server with tons of space and a UniFi dream machine Pro (also separate VLAN for Cameras), not sure if using UniFi's solution is an easy button or not. Not opposed to picking up a dedicated NUC or something to drive the NVR though. Solid camera recommendations for this would be sweet also. Curious to hear any thoughts as this space always seems to be changing, thanks!
If you already have a UDM Pro the Unifi cameras are a no-brainer (IMHO). They're reasonably priced, don't communicate with any cloud poo poo and can be used with other NVR platforms if you want to migrate away.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

TraderStav posted:

If you already have the Dream Machine Pro then I'd recommend going Unifi for the cameras. I run Unifi Protect on a Cloudkey Gen2+ and it's pretty plug and play, dead simple to set up and manage. Just have to make sure that you get cameras that are G4 or higher if you want people detection.

ef:b

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

If you already have a UDM Pro the Unifi cameras are a no-brainer (IMHO). They're reasonably priced, don't communicate with any cloud poo poo and can be used with other NVR platforms if you want to migrate away.

Thanks for that, can I use my UnraId to store the footage or do I just need to drop a big 18TB drive into the UDM Pro and just use that?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for that, can I use my UnraId to store the footage or do I just need to drop a big 18TB drive into the UDM Pro and just use that?
It does not support external storage on a NAS or whatever so yeah throw a drive in the UDM Pro and initialize it there.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone running a local Tuya instance since their new firmware (new as of 2020) can't be tuya-converted/reflashed?
Seems easy/functional enough, but wanted to see if anyone here had good or bad experiences.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

I installed a bunch of Node Red in my new house, haven't really had a problem. Is there something about them that I should know about?

Yeah I’m curious about this too.
My home is mostly HomeKit compatible devices, but I use a combination of homebridge and node-red to do some fancier things.

I know most of the thread seems to have picked home assistant, but I don’t know if there’s actually a reason to avoid the others that I’m unaware of.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 10, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Yeah I’m curious about this too.
My
Home is mostly HomeKit compatible devices, but I use a combination of homebridge and node-red to do some fancier things.

I know most of the thread seems to have picked home assistant, but I don’t know if there’s actually a reason to avoid the others that I’m unaware of.

I used to use home assistant WITH node red and it was pretty good, but nothing I was doing was complicated enough to really benefit from that once HA got their own automation systems baked into the GUI a couple years back.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Ah, okay. I didn’t know HA had something built-in.

My biggest annoyance with all of these is that I am almost exclusively in the HomeKit ecosystem - largely because I don’t want to bother my partner with anything more than the Home app she’s already put up with using. However, that means (unless I’m missing some better way to do it) having a bunch of ‘dummy switches’ that sync with homebridge so I can read and write states to them.
If anything else does a better job of that, I’m all ears.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Ah, okay. I didn’t know HA had something built-in.

My biggest annoyance with all of these is that I am almost exclusively in the HomeKit ecosystem - largely because I don’t want to bother my partner with anything more than the Home app she’s already put up with using. However, that means (unless I’m missing some better way to do it) having a bunch of ‘dummy switches’ that sync with homebridge so I can read and write states to them.
If anything else does a better job of that, I’m all ears.

Well for your wife’s purposes, I imagine it’s mostly button clicking rather than reading sensor data.

You can use apple home + shortcuts to execute most commands in Home assistant, which would give her 1 button to command execute.

Also, it seems most home assistant people are focused on 0 input automation, which would most eliminate the need for your wife to touch any buttons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Also, it seems most home assistant people are focused on 0 input automation, which would most eliminate the need for your wife to touch any buttons.

Not sure this is the case. I'm on team physical switches and having cheap remaned Amazon Fire Tablets around the house running Fully Kiosk browser to display panels that used to be made in an HA plugin but now are native HA as it's matured.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I installed HA on a raspberry pi and i love how I can have everything in whatever assistant regardless of one supporting only x instead of y

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Just set up home assistant in ubuntu using docker managed via portainer and got it all hooked into my very basic poo poo

Next up is installing Frigate to act as the NVR for a single PoE IP camera and integrating that with HA

The initial deluge of insanity involved here reminds me of computers in 1997 except we now have the paratext (stackoverflow, detailed blogs, beautiful documentation) to act as a guide through the jungle.

I’m currently using a minisForum GK-41 (~$130) as the server and have a Coral AI Accelerator (~$80) that will be doing a lot of image processing lifting (paired with the Frigate software).

If I could go back in time and tell myself something to avoid a bit of struggle: Docker Desktop is no bueno. Just install the docker components (“core”) separately and use Portainer as the UI. Docker Desktop runs in a virtual machine which means it doesn’t have full host access; you need to specify the ports in the config file.

I’m going the Ubuntu+docker route because the HomeAssistant OS has some immediate limitations re: integrations with Frigate, and that’s currently my major use case for all this biznas. Plus literally every single fun software thing is apparently available as a docker container and the maintenance of the packages is, like, a single command line.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any of you guys have a suggestion on a generic MQTT client for Android? I figured there's some overlap with the home automation stuff here.

Most setups work in a web browser, but I want to get alerts and things immediately if a mqtt feed goes past a threshold or something, as well as visualization and a few controls, without needing to have a web browser open to the page.

Yet at the same time, I don't have any need for a real home assistant setup yet. I have like two sensors to monitor and one switch to control for the entire house.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Just put everything in home assistant.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DNK posted:

Just set up home assistant in ubuntu using docker managed via portainer and got it all hooked into my very basic poo poo

Next up is installing Frigate to act as the NVR for a single PoE IP camera and integrating that with HA

The initial deluge of insanity involved here reminds me of computers in 1997 except we now have the paratext (stackoverflow, detailed blogs, beautiful documentation) to act as a guide through the jungle.

I’m currently using a minisForum GK-41 (~$130) as the server and have a Coral AI Accelerator (~$80) that will be doing a lot of image processing lifting (paired with the Frigate software).

If I could go back in time and tell myself something to avoid a bit of struggle: Docker Desktop is no bueno. Just install the docker components (“core”) separately and use Portainer as the UI. Docker Desktop runs in a virtual machine which means it doesn’t have full host access; you need to specify the ports in the config file.

I’m going the Ubuntu+docker route because the HomeAssistant OS has some immediate limitations re: integrations with Frigate, and that’s currently my major use case for all this biznas. Plus literally every single fun software thing is apparently available as a docker container and the maintenance of the packages is, like, a single command line.
I don't know if you are using windows but in windows you can make the network adapter be bridged to the VMS and then your VM will be able to handle networking directly

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m in Ubuntu. Mainly because I’m also running Frigate — which, I’m proud to say, I got running.

Motherfucker mosquitto MQTT’s shell command for password is -P and not -p thank you motherfuckers for doing this to me. Easy 2 hours of anal retentive debugging for a spelling mistake.

If I wasn’t so unsure that the problem lay elsewhere this would have been an extremely easy diagnosis, but I was studiously reviewing every single layer of compose, config, publishing, and listening until I eventually just typed “mosquitto_sub —help” and saw “-p port” at which point I screamed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DNK posted:

and saw “-p port” at which point I screamed.

Just lol. I'm so sorry, but I literally did laugh out loud as I read that. Because I've felt that exact pain, just not right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have recommendations for homekit capable light switches that can adjust both dimmer and colour? I have been using the ikea tradfri one with the bulbs but man it just chews through CR2032 batteries, it’s annoying.