Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you dont want a dick on your packaging dont use a famously endowed landmark, imho. If you're gonna use something famous for slingin meat people will notice they're getting a meatless alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

If you dont want a dick on your packaging dont use a famously endowed landmark, imho. If you're gonna use something famous for slingin meat people will notice they're getting a meatless alternative
Maybe it's vegan cheese

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Epic High Five posted:

They're selling the cheese not the meat

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I can see not wanting to be known as the "dick cheese" company but they should have picked a different symbol if they wanted to avoid that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speaking of cheese. . .

there was a bunch of fresh mozzarella at the store on a close to code 50% off special. bought some and enjoyed it at lunch

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Okay, my wife is trying to eat healthy. What are some simple meals that use staple ingredients that are good for weight loss/health in general I can feed the family with? She always ends up being the odd man out eating her own thing bc it's hard to whip things up when I don't exactly know what's "healthy" and I'm the main cooking person in the house bc of timing of when we get off work.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AxGrap posted:

Okay, my wife is trying to eat healthy. What are some simple meals that use staple ingredients that are good for weight loss/health in general I can feed the family with? She always ends up being the odd man out eating her own thing bc it's hard to whip things up when I don't exactly know what's "healthy" and I'm the main cooking person in the house bc of timing of when we get off work.

lentil curries
and in general just maximize vegetable portions while minimizing meat/carbs

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

lentil curries
and in general just maximize vegetable portions while minimizing meat/carbs

Carbs is ... Grain stuff right?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AxGrap posted:

Carbs is ... Grain stuff right?

Yeah, although apparently potatoes and sweet potatoes are themselves also pretty good for weight loss so... you really just have to watch the calories

cut out the calorie dense stuff like butter/cheese/dairy, and fill the yawning void with things you can eat all day and get nearly no energy from like a cucumber

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AxGrap posted:

vegetable soups and stews. also baked, roasted, broiled, or grilled vegetables.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

AxGrap posted:

Do you already calorie count? If not I would start with that.

You can make anything healthy, just don't use as much oil/butter.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do you already calorie count? If not I would start with that.

You can make anything healthy, just don't use as much oil/butter.

We've done calorie counting so many times over the years I can prob sum everything up in my head from memory

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah, although apparently potatoes and sweet potatoes are themselves also pretty good for weight loss so... you really just have to watch the calories

cut out the calorie dense stuff like butter/cheese/dairy, and fill the yawning void with things you can eat all day and get nearly no energy from like a cucumber

Lol thanks, the main thing that's hard is keeping enough veg in the house I guess. I usually stock up on onion celery and carrots every week, so lentil curry with veg is prob my best bet.

bedpan posted:

I have a good stash of soups in the freezer, but they always seem like winter food. Maybe I can pair it with salads.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

maybe try some portabello mushroom steaks

little soy and miso glaze, char those fuckers up nice on a grill and get'em all smokey

miso, mushroom powder, and fish sauce (if you're not trying to go full vegetarian) are your friends for getting umami flavor without the calories

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bedpan posted:

these

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yeah grilled veggies rock, I usually do mushrooms, zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, eggplant marinated in balsamic, olive oil, garlic, oregano

get some Greek seasoning and marinate some chicken breast in it with lemon juice and garlic. cook it up and eat it with tzatziki made with fat free greek yogurt, shredded cuke, garlic, and lemon. rice, pita, and plenty of fresh tomato, onion, cuke, lettuce optional

start eating lots of fish. I've been making this sheet pan white fish + veg thing a ton and serving it with rice https://www.themediterraneandish.com/baked-flounder-recipe/

good old ground meat tacos can be pretty low cal if you use the 93% ground turkey, light sour cream, lots of salsa and fresh veg, and not a ton of cheese. get those low carb tortillas if you want. definitely a kid pleaser. can also do shredded chicken in the crockpot for tacos, just use a packet of taco seasoning and some good salsa like Herdez in the little cans. cook it only for a couple hours until it's just cooked or you'll have sawdust though.

this is a good creamy pasta I make a lot https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/7919563/spaghetti-spinach-with-sun-dried-tomato-cream-sauce/

this is a good bowl meal that's easy, just use ground turkey. serve with kimchi, and lots of sliced cukes and shredded carrot https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/

in general look for mediterranean dishes, that's like the only diet that's actually doctor approved

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AxGrap posted:

Get good at stir frying and dishing up reasonable portions of rice was a big one for me when I lost weight.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Follow up bc I prepped a bunch of lentils to use as bases for meals (pics below bc lol).

IS RICE HEALTHY? I get a different answer from everyone I ask. It's filling and I often use it to extend meals, but is that carbs? Is avoiding white rice the key?

I've never really focused on healthy eating for myself, and there is so much fad diet poo poo and that I never know how to be proactive about helping.

22 lbs of cooked lentils (I already posted in another thread but it's needed here)

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Following up on other recipes itt as well, thanks for the help all!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

rice has a lot of carbs, yes. "is rice healthy" isn't really a question that makes sense though. do you think carbs are the devil? then I guess it's bad. we can't really answer that for you.

in general, though, brown rice is more healthy than white rice because it's a whole grain. kind of like how whole wheat bread is better for you than white bread. it'll keep you fuller longer and has more fiber and stuff. so I guess you could consider brown rice a "healthy" carb compared to white rice. but white rice isn't inherently unhealthy, certainly not like a hostess cupcake is.

if this is a weight loss diet, then it really just comes down to calories in vs. calories out. get a calorie tracker and use it. once you get down portion sizes and what generally has more calories than other things, then you can start fine tuning things if you want

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

my wife never gains weight regardless of what she eats and I pack it on as soon as I skip a gym day or think about a bakery for too long, so I know what it feels like to be the odd one out in terms of family meals. Here's a strategy I've had great success with, both in terms of losing weight and eating healthier:

go to the store twice a week or so and get whatever non-starchy vegetables are on sale. Roast or grill em up and stick them in the fridge. If you're ever hungry or even peckish at any point in the day, pull em out and chow down. If you start to get bored of the flavor, dump hot sauce on em.

I don't even bother tracking these calories and just worry about what I eat at mealtimes. Given you're already sated when lunch/dinner rolls around you're not going to want to eat much anyway but you can enjoy the meal with everyone else and don't feel like you're depriving yourself. Great, easy, consistent weight loss and you also eat a ton of veggies to boot. If you really want the weight to melt off cut out all booze/dessert/fast food and you'll really struggle to eat above a caloric deficit.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've got some leftover mashed potatoes and roasted carrots.

isn't there a shepherds pie or something where you put mashed potatoes and veggies in a pie pan w/ gravy and top it with a biscuit layer or something?

someone shoot me a notional recipe.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
white rice is probably the healthiest thing you can eat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Anybody noticing jalapenos not being as hot anymore? I thought I just got some bad ones but then I saw a post on reddit from someone also noticing how weak they are now and I figure the hosed climate is wrecking harvests.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've got some leftover mashed potatoes and roasted carrots.

isn't there a shepherds pie or something where you put mashed potatoes and veggies in a pie pan w/ gravy and top it with a biscuit layer or something?

someone shoot me a notional recipe.

You've wrote the notional recipe. Meat and gravy on the bottom, topped with potato and carrot layer, biscuits on top with the rest of the gravy poured over. Cook for whatever time and temp a comparable random recipe says and check on it. Deliver directly to me.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Anybody noticing jalapenos not being as hot anymore? I thought I just got some bad ones but then I saw a post on reddit from someone also noticing how weak they are now and I figure the hosed climate is wrecking harvests.

You've wrote the notional recipe. Meat and gravy on the bottom, topped with potato and carrot layer, biscuits on top with the rest of the gravy poured over. Cook for whatever time and temp a comparable random recipe says and check on it. Deliver directly to me.

There is a spicer variety you can grow yourself, if you want to gently caress with growing one.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

skooma512 posted:

https://www.seedneeds.com/products/tam-jalapeno

Store bought Jalopenos are most likely to be TAM's, which are bred to be less spicy for white people making poppers I guess. I just grow my own, along with serranos for good consistent heat

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

skooma512 posted:

what the gently caress I thought I was losing it -- but yes!
the jarred ones I usually get have become weak as gently caress and mostly flavorless. I'm growing a shitload of jalapenos because of it but recently I bought a can of la costena sliced jalapenos and they've been decently spicy.

also some switch has flipped in my brain in the last year or so and I'm becoming a hot pepper sicko. growing a bunch of habeneros and ghost peppers this year too. wanted to grow birds eyes (for peri peri) but couldn't find the seeds in time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

skooma512 posted:

I think the ingredient I'm missing here is meat.

it's too late for this to be a budget meal because I've got meat pie on the brain.

I bought some beef chuck short ribs that I want to slow cook into a savory shredded concoction for my shepherd's pie.

I have a general idea for doing this in the oven at a low temp, but I'm open to ideas beyond "garlic, salt, pepper, corn starch and broth" as a treatment for this protein.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think the ingredient I'm missing here is meat.

it's too late for this to be a budget meal because I've got meat pie on the brain.

I bought some beef chuck short ribs that I want to slow cook into a savory shredded concoction for my shepherd's pie.

I have a general idea for doing this in the oven at a low temp, but I'm open to ideas beyond "garlic, salt, pepper, corn starch and broth" as a treatment for this protein.

Onion and red wine perhaps? Worcestershire?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

skooma512 posted:

slow cooking in wine is never a bad move
that's a baseline for delicious, any sort of garlic/onion/spices on top is aces

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Red wine improves stews so much, it feels like cheating

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

how much red wine we talking here. I've got about 1.75 lbs of meat.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Turtle Sandbox posted:

There is a spicer variety you can grow yourself, if you want to gently caress with growing one.

growing japalenos is easy af depending on where you live, especially with climate change

jalapaneo plants love as much sun as possible and thrive in high heat (provided you water them appropriately)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Red wine improves stews so much, it feels like cheating

Oh my god yes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

skooma512 posted:

agreeing with this and asking: if you have all the stuff for shepard's pie, have you considered just making beef bourguignon instead?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

id go roughly equal parts red wine and beef stock. throw in a few garlic bulbs, couple quartered onions, some carrots, and chuck your ribs in until really tender if that's what your after, or earlier if you want some springy-ness since they're gonna get some time in a pie. id err on the side of tender, though!

since you have a pie planned, id throw the whole pot (or its contents) into the fridge overnight. beef ribs give up a lot of fat that you can pull off the next day, and the ribs and jus will taste even better, i promise. i wouldn't use the vegetables in the braising liquid in the pie, though. they gave up everything in the cook and will be mush after more time in the oven. sorry for the un-asked for recipe lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

agreeing with this and asking: if you have all the stuff for shepard's pie, have you considered just making beef bourguignon instead?

if you are someone out there not knowing how to cook, this or coq au vin are two relatively simple recipes you can learn and impress the hell out of anyone by making

no one will ever say no to wine-braised style french cooking

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Nah this is all good information. My carrots and potatoes are all cooked and ready to go but I like the idea of adding an onion to the meat as it cooks.

Also: I will look into this bourguignon idea as well.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

French country cooking is super great and super easy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

all the goon ideas for making the pie mix better are great

you could also have (imo) a way better dish with much less work (not having to debone + chop the meat and not having to mash potatoes)

here's a good recipe for it: https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/julia-childs-beef-bourguignon/cdda3ccc-3623-4363-8095-aaca1a3f8313

just be careful with the 3-4 hours on the light simmer in the oven. i did 3.5 last time and had to rehydrate everything with a little bit of water at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Julia Child is the way

also I always do my braising on the stove top rather than the oven
it's really hard to gently caress up slow cooking though

just watch it