Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

HonorableTB posted:

Go to r/Ukraine and talk to their mod staff for charitable/volunteer verification. They have a whole process for in-country volunteers. I'm taking the assumption that you're either going regardless or already there, so stay safe

Thanks, that'll help. I'm already in process for getting connected to the relevant parties but this is one more resource. Appreciate the pointer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Roblo posted:

Normally there would be a pretty comprehensive maintenance regime on any infrastructure that important, I doubt Russia was doing any of that

I mean, unless this is proven to be caused by direct Ukrainian shelling, at the very least this is criminal neglence by Russia. There are very few ways this isn't Russia's fault and I think European governments responding to it appropriately (denouncing it, kicking out diplomats etc) is the right way to go.

That's on top of Russia creating the conditions where we even have to discuss issues of fault on a crime this huge. Without a Russian invasion, we wouldn't be here.

I am loving disgusted by all this. Just utterly loving disgusted.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Oldsmobile posted:

I mean, unless this is proven to be caused by direct Ukrainian shelling, at the very least this is criminal neglence by Russia. There are very few ways this isn't Russia's fault and I think European governments responding to it appropriately (denouncing it, kicking out diplomats etc) is the right way to go.

That's on top of Russia creating the conditions where we even have to discuss issues of fault on a crime this huge. Without a Russian invasion, we wouldn't be here.

I am loving disgusted by all this. Just utterly loving disgusted.

It'll be easy to prove it wasn't caused by direct Ukrainian shelling because Ukraine does not possess anything that can take down the dam from the outside. This was done by an internal detonation where the energy is focused outward, the dam itself was made of thick reinforced concrete and attacking it from outside would have redirected most of the energy away. Russia blew it from the inside, we knew they mined it twice already and also detonated the service road during their retreat from Kherson

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Has there been any new footage of the state of the dam itself from today? Would be interesting to see if it has collapsed more or the remnants are holding.
Twitter is just flooded with propaganda making it basically impossible to find useful information.
On that note, pro-Russian accounts keep posting about how Ukraine is responsible because they released (and keep releasing) excessive water from upstream. Not sure why I bothered to check, but yeah, it's BS upstream reservoirs are filled to the expected level so there was no additional release.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HonorableTB posted:

It'll be easy to prove it wasn't caused by direct Ukrainian shelling because Ukraine does not possess anything that can take down the dam from the outside. This was done by an internal detonation where the energy is focused outward, the dam itself was made of thick reinforced concrete and attacking it from outside would have redirected most of the energy away. Russia blew it from the inside, we knew they mined it twice already and also detonated the service road during their retreat from Kherson

Pretty sure Storm Shadow is designed to penetrate a structure before exploding, and it's got a big warhead. The dam wasn't exactly the biggest structure either from what I could see, and was in a ropey condition. Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions.

I don't disagree that it was probably the Russians detonating something from inside it but I don't think a strike is impossible.

*Note - not in the slightest way a missile expert, but I did read a tiny section of the storm shadow wiki page so in a way I am an expert.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

true.spoon posted:

I was a bit surprised by this and tried to google this. From what I found there was a single time anti-personnel mines were used by the US in Afghanistan:

Not that this is not bad, mind you.

The M86 looks significantly less like a toy than the PFM-1.

But obviously it was lovely that it got the same coloration as food packets. The PFM-1 does look a lot like the dragontooth mine the US used in Vietnam, though:

However, following Vietnam the US discontinued its use and afaik haven't since developed toy-like mines. Another one of those "the US did it too" stories in that it happened at all but where the US did not apply it with the same consistent enthusiasm across theaters and decades.
(not defending the use of BLU-43 in any theater.)

Roblo posted:

That's the only thing that makes me consider that it could be Ukraine. But I very very much doubt they would do it. Putting Kherson (which is Ukranian) underwater is not a good look.

hardly seems worth it, and they've pretty consistently not done this kind of "gently caress you civilians!! now what enemy :smug:" poo poo
e: especially considering that the most affected by this dam's destruction are Ukrainian civilians, plus Crimea is Ukraine

neamp posted:

Has there been any new footage of the state of the dam itself from today? Would be interesting to see if it has collapsed more or the remnants are holding.
Twitter is just flooded with propaganda making it basically impossible to find useful information.
On that note, pro-Russian accounts keep posting about how Ukraine is responsible because they released (and keep releasing) excessive water from upstream. Not sure why I bothered to check, but yeah, it's BS upstream reservoirs are filled to the expected level so there was no additional release.

even if Ukraine were releasing "excessive" water from upstream, you could just ... open the gates.

tiaz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 7, 2023

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Whether it was Russia or Ukraine who caused the disaster, it wouldn't have happened if Russia hasn't decided to invade.

Russia are ultimately responsible.

The sooner they can be pushed back to their cesspit of a country for a few decades of timeout on the international stage the better.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Roblo posted:

Pretty sure Storm Shadow is designed to penetrate a structure before exploding, and it's got a big warhead. The dam wasn't exactly the biggest structure either from what I could see, and was in a ropey condition. Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions.

I don't disagree that it was probably the Russians detonating something from inside it but I don't think a strike is impossible.

*Note - not in the slightest way a missile expert, but I did read a tiny section of the storm shadow wiki page so in a way I am an expert.

:lmao: at "I don't know anything about this and skimmed wiki for five seconds so I'm totally sure it'd work." why even bother posting this if you know you don't know poo poo?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Kchama posted:

:lmao: at "I don't know anything about this and skimmed wiki for five seconds so I'm totally sure it'd work." why even bother posting this if you know you don't know poo poo?

A sense of pride and accomplishment.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Roblo posted:

Why would the Ukrainians want to gently caress up their amphibious assault on Kherson?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Roblo posted:

Dams are beefy but they're not designed to counter munitions.

yes they are, they always have been, it's why the bouncing bomb was useful in ww2, why not just Google that part of your thought first lmao

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The overarching reason why Ukraine didn't do this is because they are fighting a war to save their land and people and it's really hard to do that if you cause the biggest environmental catastrophe since Chernobyl, incidentally also in Ukraine.

Also Storm Shadows were meant to penetrate common bunkers and caves, hard rock surface. It wasn't intended to penetrate a meters-thick dam made of steel reinforced concrete designed to hold back water equal to roughly 1/3 of Delaware's land area. About the best you could get from a Storm Shadow is taking out the Kerch bridge supports, which would be within its capabilities. It's a LOT easier to drop a bridge with munitions than it is to bust a dam open.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 7, 2023

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
got some hot info: looking at weeks old Google maps photos it appears the water has receded. i assume very sunny weather did it, just Google evaporation

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1666397509911031810?s=20 loving Russians, I can't even.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

got some hot info: looking at weeks old Google maps photos it appears the water has receded. i assume very sunny weather did it, just Google evaporation

HATO must have activated the HAARP weather control machine !! :tinfoil:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Dwesa posted:

Regarding the fate of Russian soldiers that were digging trenches in irradiated soil

https://twitter.com/RFERL/status/1666373040429465600

Really want a video where they show one of these guys a Russian dub of the HBO Chernobyl docudrama and explain "That's what that big building over there was."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

yes they are, they always have been, it's why the bouncing bomb was useful in ww2, why not just Google that part of your thought first lmao

I think you're mixing up cause and effect

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bluemillion posted:

Really want a video where they show one of these guys a Russian dub of the HBO Chernobyl docudrama and explain "That's what that big building over there was."

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think you're mixing up cause and effect

in what way? dambusters didn't precede munitions as a safety concern for dams

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

in what way? dambusters didn't precede munitions as a safety concern for dams

The bouncing bomb was a special designed bomb that required a very exact attack profile and also placement in the depths of the water storage to work - Too far away did nothing. Just throwing a missile or hurling a handful of artillery will not work. One of the bouncing bombs exploded at the base of a dam and didnt even scratch it

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 7, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The bouncing bomb was a special designed bomb that required a very exact attack profile and also placement in the depths of the water storage to work - too close or too far away did nothing. Just throwing a missile or hurling a handful of artillery will not work. One of the bouncing bombs exploded at the base of a dam and didnt even scratch it

On that topic,

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1666458944091324417

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kchama posted:

My last comment was sarcasm, clearly should have made that more clear. I do have a bit of understanding of dams/structures. From what I could see from the footage it was a control structure that was blown, not all dams are identical and you wouldn't have to take out the entire thing to cause this kind of damage.

Either way I'm not disagreeing with anyone, its clearly the Russians fault, just from what I could see Storm Shadow could potentially do it. Seems I was wrong.

Tarkus posted:

Why would the Ukrainians want to gently caress up their amphibious assault on Kherson?

This would open up more possibilities for amphibious assault upstream. Again, not saying they did it - Ukraine hasn't shown any inclination to fight like that so far and gently caress up their own country but there would be "positives" tactically to doing that, I'm pretty sure.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

There is a difference between being designed against munitions and being generally resistant to them for other reasons. That said, looking at the tweet in the post above mine this one is apparently designed to withstand a nuclear attack, that's, erm, not exactly standard where I'm from. Jesus.

Roblo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2023

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1666464813084549126?t=4WhCyd5zVWg0NLbX1-ILwg&s=19

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
https://twitter.com/i/status/1666445518719930371

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tankie simping has been loving terrible today. I'm starting to think that if russia nuked Ukraine that they would still find some reason to actually it away or what about Hiroshima

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hiroshima was 15KT.

The bong dropped on Kyiv was 10MT

Clearly the US is the aggressor in the comparison because 15 bigger than 10

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tai posted:

Tankie simping has been loving terrible today. I'm starting to think that if russia nuked Ukraine that they would still find some reason to actually it away or what about Hiroshima
Yes they would probably say they were "even" now, as finally equality had come to the "actually using nuclear arms" race of the mid-20th century

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hiroshima was 15KT.

10 megatokes is still a lot :420:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bluemillion posted:

Why would they watch gay Max of the west when they can watch Chernobyl series of Alexey Muradov in which CIA agent did Chernobyl

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Hiroshima was 15KT.

poo poo ten megatokes will stone half of Ukraine

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Actually you will find that whether or not they had a zoo, they currently do not have one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There is, however, a fairly large aquarium.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ukrainians are complaining about dead zoo and yet they have pizza

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Aquariums generally have living animals, so technically this is more of a soup.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Tunicate posted:

Actually you will find that whether or not they had a zoo, they currently do not have one.

We Blyat a Zoo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm surprised they didn't attach depth charges to the zoo animals

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol at Albania dunking on Russia

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sedgr posted:

Aquariums generally have living animals, so technically this is more of a soup.

Blyat, you got a stew going.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666497486964285448

loving hell. Just full on mask off fash. There was another country who talked like this 80 years ago...

And tankies simp for this lot lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1666497486964285448

loving hell. Just full on mask off fash. There was another country who talked like this 80 years ago...

And tankies simp for this lot lol

Yeah but did you know that Ukraine banned a couple of political parties that were collaborating with the Invaders?