Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Looking at the timeline for LucasArts games is interesting. They didn't start making Star Wars games until 1991, and then they started churning out about 1-2 every year for most of the 90s (with it absolutely blowing up in 98 and 99 after TPM comes out). I had thought there would've been some lame cash grab games for the C64 or Atari in the 80s but nope. Until Heir to the Empire came out (the EU novel that started this juggernaut) Star Wars wasn't that big of a thing, which is weird in itself to say considering how prominent it has been, culturally, for the past 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aces High posted:

Looking at the timeline for LucasArts games is interesting. They didn't start making Star Wars games until 1991, and then they started churning out about 1-2 every year for most of the 90s (with it absolutely blowing up in 98 and 99 after TPM comes out). I had thought there would've been some lame cash grab games for the C64 or Atari in the 80s but nope. Until Heir to the Empire came out (the EU novel that started this juggernaut) Star Wars wasn't that big of a thing, which is weird in itself to say considering how prominent it has been, culturally, for the past 30 years

Atari held the license to make Star Wars games in the 80s and actually made an extremely good, influential arcade game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(1983_video_game)

it, of course, did see lovely home ports.

e: this is the home cash grab game you're expecting i think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Jedi_Arena

Arivia has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jun 7, 2023

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aramek posted:

I've only seen Star Wars 1-7 and they had kung fu and explosions and space magic and lasers in it.

And in the end, that's all any of us need or any of you deserve.

I hear 8 and 9 are bad though, but it was like all chuds that hated 8, and everyone hated 9?

Nah, the chuds loved 9 because it retconned loads of 8 and was a "return to form" (i.e. wallowing in notalgia)

8 is absolutely a mess, but it's not a mess for the reasons the chuds say it is.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Aces High posted:

What's crazy about the lucasarts games is how good they were. Dark Forces was a legitimate iteration of quality in FPS's (its big addition was the ability to look up and down I think). The X-wing and TIE Fighter games were also good. Lucasarts was a real game studio, and it made fun games.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah, the chuds loved 9 because it retconned loads of 8 and was a "return to form" (i.e. wallowing in notalgia)

8 is absolutely a mess, but it's not a mess for the reasons the chuds say it is.

it was awful hating 8 and finding the only people who agreed with me were effectively Nazis

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

7 approaches “good” or at least watchable mostly for nostalgia purposes but 8 and 9 are dire

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

8 and 9 have good ideas and some good scenes, but all three feel like movies from 3 different trilogies.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

8 wasn't the best thing I've ever seen but it did have a scene where Laura Dern informed one of the main protagonists that he wasn't the person running the show and that was pretty great NGL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

8 wasn't the best thing I've ever seen but it did have a scene where Laura Dern informed one of the main protagonists that he wasn't the person running the show and that was pretty great NGL.

but she had pink hair!!!!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Arivia posted:

No, but it was a repercussion of the 4e changes (and nothing in the 4e stuff was technically a retcon, anyway. [again if you want more information happy to provide, but then we're getting to the point of me directly quoting from books instead of just making funny posts]).

So, let's explain the Spellplague to everyone!

Oh huh, my group actually played through Dragon Heist a while back and we thought it kinda sucked poo poo and was only salvaged through our GM improvising the hell out of it. I suppose having only a tiny skeleton crew working on it goes a ways to explain that.

For something completely unrelated: I'm feeling nostalgic and rewatching Boston Legal. One of the first few episodes is about a judge seemingly taking out a grudge on a defendant who is represented by one of the characters, sentencing him to wear a demeaning sign as a part of his sentence. Things escalate while he's doing that, the crowd gets rowdy, he gets injured. So far, a fairly regular plot. Here's the weird thing though: The guy is a landlord, who at the very beginning of the episode admitted to wrongdoing w/r/t the upkeep of his properties, which is what he was sentenced for in the first place. The sign read "I am a slumlord". The crowd that got rowdy were his tenants, who clearly hate his guts, and for good reasons.

And yet, the show seems to pretty clearly expect us to be on his side. He gets a sympathetic moment telling us how oh so very hard it is to keep up the with the maintenance. He is portrayed as being the bigger man by agreeing to wear the sign rather than fighting it in court. Most tellingly, he's shown as a close friend of the character Alan Shore (and represented by him), who is otherwise almost always shown as sticking up for the little guy against the rich and powerful. Not sure if that's an artifact of the time before AirBnB et al, or if it was just an aggrieved landlord being on the writing team.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Oh huh, my group actually played through Dragon Heist a while back and we thought it kinda sucked poo poo and was only salvaged through our GM improvising the hell out of it. I suppose having only a tiny skeleton crew working on it goes a ways to explain that.

It has a weird gimmick that also doesn't help - there's four possible "villain" groups to face, each in a different season. The DM is expected to pick one and just run that one season/group, which means that a significant amount of the adventure (3/8ths) is never actually shown to any group. Why they didn't just pick one and make it good, I don't know.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Perestroika posted:

For something completely unrelated: I'm feeling nostalgic and rewatching Boston Legal. One of the first few episodes is about a judge seemingly taking out a grudge on a defendant who is represented by one of the characters, sentencing him to wear a demeaning sign as a part of his sentence. Things escalate while he's doing that, the crowd gets rowdy, he gets injured. So far, a fairly regular plot. Here's the weird thing though: The guy is a landlord, who at the very beginning of the episode admitted to wrongdoing w/r/t the upkeep of his properties, which is what he was sentenced for in the first place. The sign read "I am a slumlord". The crowd that got rowdy were his tenants, who clearly hate his guts, and for good reasons.

And yet, the show seems to pretty clearly expect us to be on his side. He gets a sympathetic moment telling us how oh so very hard it is to keep up the with the maintenance. He is portrayed as being the bigger man by agreeing to wear the sign rather than fighting it in court. Most tellingly, he's shown as a close friend of the character Alan Shore (and represented by him), who is otherwise almost always shown as sticking up for the little guy against the rich and powerful. Not sure if that's an artifact of the time before AirBnB et al, or if it was just an aggrieved landlord being on the writing team.

Law & Order knew to be anti-landlord in the early 90s, there's no excuse.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thomamelas posted:

Sex and kissing only a few times. But it's implied a lot. He had a tendency to run into a lot of his exs for instance.

This is a really long but interesting essay on why Kirk as portrayed in TOS and Kirk as remembered by pop culture differ so dramatically:

http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/

Even by the time of the later TOS movies Kirk's characterization was very different from the original TV series. And interestingly there's an argument to be made that a lot of what people think Kirk was like is shown in TNG's Riker.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

8 and 9 have good ideas and some good scenes, but all three feel like movies from 3 different trilogies.

Wait, 9 had good ideas?

Wait, 9 had ideas?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I guess Finn meeting a former stormtrooper and also being force sensitive can be considered 'ideas'

And they used the Rey/Kylo force dyad connection in some fun ways...

Thats about it I think.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait, 9 had good ideas?

Wait, 9 had ideas?

Eh, the little droid repair gremlin is cool, and Adam Driver acted the hell out of his heel-face turn, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vandar posted:

JJ Abrams directed 7, and in typically JJ Abrams fashion left a bunch of open plot points but also didn't give anyone working on the next movies any answers to anything.

Rian Johnson directed 8 and went 'okay, here's my answers to them, and most of them involve going HEY IT'S TIME FOR STAR WARS TO MOVE FROM NOSTALGIA AND TRY NEW AND DIFFERENT THINGS WITH NEW CHARACTERS.'

JJ Abrams came back for 9 and went 'lol lmao nah I'm going to undo everything that 8 did and also just make a bad movie in general.'

It was kind of a really big mess!

You would think that, given how much care and planning they were putting into the MCU at the time that Disney would have went 'okay, we need to have a long term plan for this new Star Wars stuff' but no. No. There was no plan and they were flying by the seat of their pants the entire time.

(I like 8 though. :v:)

Rey's (the new protagonist, if you didn't watch the sequel trilogy) parents are a great example of that dynamic

7. Rey is a mysterious orphan on a desert planet, her parents are a mystery

8. There's nothing special about her parents. They were just two random people and Rey isn't special because she's the child of special people. There's a random kid who accidentally uses the force, because anyone can have the potential to be a jedi.

9. There's nothing special about her parents. However her grandfather is Palpatine and Rey is special because she's the grandchild of a special person. Space eugenics are back and better than ever baby

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Rey's dad was Triclops and you can't prove he wasn't.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Perestroika posted:

I'm feeling nostalgic and rewatching Boston Legal. One of the first few episodes is about a judge seemingly taking out a grudge on a defendant who is represented by one of the characters, sentencing him to wear a demeaning sign as a part of his sentence. Things escalate while he's doing that, the crowd gets rowdy, he gets injured. So far, a fairly regular plot. Here's the weird thing though: The guy is a landlord, who at the very beginning of the episode admitted to wrongdoing w/r/t the upkeep of his properties, which is what he was sentenced for in the first place. The sign read "I am a slumlord". The crowd that got rowdy were his tenants, who clearly hate his guts, and for good reasons.

Related, I rewatched the Nic Cage action move Con Air recently and it struck me how Steve Buscemi's insane serial killer character is coded as being super scary and dangerous throughout the first half of the film but in the second half he gets treated as if his character has been redeemed and is given a stereotypical 'happy' ending at a table at Vegas cheerfully gambling away someone else's money and sipping on a cocktail. The dealer says "New shooter coming in, does he feel lucky?" and Steve says "Yes he does!" as he rattles the dice and Sweet Home Alabama kicks in, it's a real "Aw, good for him :unsmith:" happy ending.

There was a scene about 2/3 through the film where he wandered off and found a little girl who was having a tea party with her dolls and it's presented as a really tense scene where the implication is he's gonna kill her but instead he admits that he's sick, she accepts him anyway and they sing a nice song about God ("He's got the whole world in his hands") and he ends up not killing her. It's quite odd that all the other criminals got their comeuppance but they gave an insane serial killer a turnaround moment and a happy ending

Also his character is completely superfluous in regards to the movie's plot - he just sits there and makes the occasional sarcastic comment but never helps or hinders the heroes or the villains or anyone, he's literally just along for the ride. Apparently the script went through extensive rewrites during filming, I wonder if they originally had other plans for the character which got abandoned and they ended up not having anything for him to do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Flying Zamboni posted:

Rey's dad was Triclops and you can't prove he wasn't.

Look, I want Disney to canonize the Jedi Prince series as much as the next guy.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I AM GRANDO posted:

If anyone remembers the early 2000s christian movie review site CAPalert.com, where a fundamentalist wrote long reviews of every new release describing how they depart from a scriptural worldview and cataloging every visible nipple and second of the runtime where public hair is visible, that guy was a huge Star Trek fan.

His Star Trek movie reviews were some of the best on the site because you could see his cognitive dissonance cooking his brain as he squared his love for Star Trek with the fact that it was all about godless heathens. He had a fundraising deal where people could pay him to review older movies, and I always wanted to pay him to review the Star Trek movie where they kill God, but it seemed like too much money. I remember that he hated Riker for having sex out of wedlock, but he thought Captain Kirk was a godly man in the model of Christ.

Then again, he was a creationist whose day job was as an engineer at a nuclear power plant or something (he wanted to quit and live off donations so he could review movies full-time), so he was probably used to compartmentalization.

I interviewed him on my college radio show in 2002 or 2003. It was posted on FARK, but I don't think it ever got greenlit. Anyway, probably not a fantastic interview. We chickened out on doing any hard hitting questions, so it was mostly about how he worked at a nuclear power plant, had like ten adopted kids and loved movies, and wanted to share the good christian ones with people and warn people away from the ones full of sin.

In retrospect, definitely a dude who dealt with the cognitive dissonance of loving movies and fundamentalist christianity, by spinning it into a service for god.

fake edit: site is still up and running, but hasn't been updated since 2013.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lady Radia posted:

it was awful hating 8 and finding the only people who agreed with me were effectively Nazis

Most people agreed that weren’t chuds and it blows because I really liked the movie and couldn’t find anyone irl or online who liked it as much as I did.

I hated that whole time. It felt like the moment where what you like became who you are and people would just get really nasty about it. Irl I got called a sjw for liking TLJ.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Uh, I thought Rey was a Skywalker? Did you guys even watch the loving movie

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How did anyone watch 7 and think they had any good ideas left at all?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Wait, 9 had good ideas?

Wait, 9 had ideas?

Palpatine's return could work if the trilogy was written around that plot point and it not just being shoehorned in at the very end. Hell, considering his speech to Anakin about Darth Plagus discovering a way to survive past death, there's stuff in the prequel trilogy and cartoons that you could point to as foreshadowing him coming back from death.

Instead we got a pissy director that didn't want to communicate with the second director, then got pissy when Rian didn't read his mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just wish a multibillion company like Disney that was working on a beloved and billion dollar franchise could have somehow found a solution of having two guys they hired talk to each other

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Somehow, Palpatine has returned.

Are we sure the dudes who did GOT didn't secretly do 8 and 9 in Star Wars because it feels a lot of the same bullshit?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I like the idea of the Emperor being such a powerful evil bastard that it takes decades of heroes to finally put him down. But, uh.. not like how they did it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are we sure the dudes who did GOT didn't secretly do 8 and 9 in Star Wars because it feels a lot of the same bullshit?

We’re sure, because those guys were at one point contracted to do their own Star Wars movies that never went anywhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

I just wish a multibillion company like Disney that was working on a beloved and billion dollar franchise could have somehow found a solution of having two guys they hired talk to each other

If i remember unless its all a lie, JJ straight up threw his hands up after TFA and let everyone else deal with it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i know the EU of StarWars was insane, but one thing that does surprise me is how Disney cut themselves with loving Ben Solo. In the EU, didn't Han and Leia have twins, and then another kid? So you have three potential Jedis right there. Two Jedis and a Sith. Etc. So much loving potential with merchandising, toys, costumes, etc. Instead we get loving Kylo Ren.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cowslips Warren posted:

i know the EU of StarWars was insane, but one thing that does surprise me is how Disney cut themselves with loving Ben Solo. In the EU, didn't Han and Leia have twins, and then another kid? So you have three potential Jedis right there. Two Jedis and a Sith. Etc. So much loving potential with merchandising, toys, costumes, etc. Instead we get loving Kylo Ren.

Disney just handed the keys to the kingdom to the people George had left in charge of Lucasfilm, despite the fact that they had completely failed to reign in George's worst ideas.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cowslips Warren posted:

It is such an own goal to write the line "Somehow, Palpatine has returned" and put it in your blockbuster movie. The idea's not the best (though you could do something with it), and the execution is poor, but there is a bit of charming brazenness to just bringing him back without really explaining how or why. Which is all immediately undercut by that one little word, "somehow."

I walked into that theater fully expecting TRoS to be bad, and I was still shocked at how lovely of a movie it ended up being.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i feel like people are forgetting that Palpatine coming back to life happened in Fortnite and the opening text crawl of episode 9 referenced this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don’t forget you can find out how Palpatine returned in a cross-media promotion with fuckin Fortnite.

e:f,b.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
^^^^goddamnit stop being faster than me

What is really loving wild is they tied thebpalp resurrection to a limited time loving fortnight event. You wanna know how everyone knows palp is back? Go get teabagged by a hypercaffinated 12 year old

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

suck it nerds i brought up fortnite first

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yes but my avatar wins this stupid star wars argument

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the plan for the sequel trilogy was too basically exquisite corpse it. Each one knows where the previous one ended and where the next one will begin and then were gonna just do whatever in the middle. Not a great plan!

Johnson wanted to subvert the franchise and the genre but ultimately when star wars works it's very comfortable within the set of conventions and clichés and subverting that just makes a movie that has some star wars window dressing but doesn't really feel like star wars. There are some great ideas and some really great moments, but it's overall kind of a mess.

After the chuds got pissy, the non-chuds were also not thrilled, Disney decided to back track hard. After book of Henry was a loving disaster they also ran as far away from Trevorrow as they could and begged JJ to come back, but also seemingly gave him almost no freedom so he had to write a script very quickly and hit all of Disney's idiotic demands and deal with a star dying and also I think probably really didn't give a gently caress.

Also maybe JJ hated Johnson's stuff and wanted to spite him, but like while JJ isn't a great director he's not usually that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Best thing about Rise of Skywalker was when I told my wife that there was no Baby Yoda merchandise because someone in Disney corporate thought the D-0 droid would be the big moneymaker and she replied “You thought the toy aisles would be full of Baby Yodas, but it was me, D-0.”