Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Incredible how everything except flat is colourful and had personality. It's the kind of poo poo that makes you believe in the illuminati or new world order or some poo poo. Why are they taking the joy away!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Incredible how everything except flat is colourful and had personality. It's the kind of poo poo that makes you believe in the illuminati or new world order or some poo poo. Why are they taking the joy away!!

Apple are the Godkings as far as designers think. Once Apple rejected skuemorphism and went minimalist with iOS 7, everything had to follow.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I especially hate the way the human figures are drawn in the flat design. The worst cartoon style ever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i want to live in a Memphis Taco Bell.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat its weird how people prefer the dominant aesthetic from a bygone era, one they aren't currently immersed in and encountering every day

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.are.na/evan-collins-1522646491/frasurbane

https://www.reddit.com/r/GVCDesign/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Merkinman posted:

Apple are the Godkings as far as designers think. Once Apple rejected skuemorphism and went minimalist with iOS 7, everything had to follow.

I’m sorry, but the skeuomorphism of old iOS/OSX was dogshit

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alaois posted:

drat its weird how people prefer the dominant aesthetic from a bygone era, one they aren't currently immersed in and encountering every day

familiarity breeds contempt

What irritates me most about UI designs is the lack of ability to change anything other than wallpaper these days.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Being so prevalent and recognizable, those design patterns are linked to their era more than anything else. It's completely tied to how that era makes you feel.

• Everywhere was Taco Bell
  • Dressing like a toddler at the beach
  • Sadly this IS the future
  • Let's make our new healthcare app look like a cat, cat shaped with hair textures. Like they used to. I used to love that. Nah, I don't know, it's making me sad.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Happy Landfill posted:

Relevant to the recent graphic design discussion, someone on Reddit posted this graphic about the different eras of graphic design from 1980's to today. Interesting to see that each era's aesthetic doesn't really get solidified until at least three or four years in to the decade, which could be why we keep joking that the 90's lasted until at east 2002. The graphic is really big so I'll just post a link to the thread topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/Design/comments/13yg4wn/eras_of_aestheticsgraphic_design/

I feel like the 90s ended in stages.
In terms of aesthetics, it ended in October 2001 when the iPod came out and the sleek minimalism replaced the 90s vibe.
In terms of politics and general culture/society, it obviously ended on September 11, 2001.
In terms of music, not so sure. I was a late bloomer in terms of musical interest so I'm sure someone else could say more than me.
In terms of fashion... yeah. lol. I'm a goon, take a guess how my fashion sense is.
In terms of film, 1999. The Matrix ended the 90s.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Now HERE'S the good poo poo

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like the 90s ended in stages.
In terms of aesthetics, it ended in October 2001 when the iPod came out and the sleek minimalism replaced the 90s vibe.
In terms of politics and general culture/society, it obviously ended on September 11, 2001.
In terms of music, not so sure. I was a late bloomer in terms of musical interest so I'm sure someone else could say more than me.
In terms of fashion... yeah. lol. I'm a goon, take a guess how my fashion sense is.
In terms of film, 1999. The Matrix ended the 90s.

This is definitely the better way to look at it. It really is amazing to think how the iMac and the iPod changed everything when it came to aesthetics

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Happy Landfill posted:

This is definitely the better way to look at it. It really is amazing to think how the iMac and the iPod changed everything when it came to aesthetics

It even changed iProduct iNames. Companies just think: "copy what Apple is doing*"

*Which for a while was "copy what Braun did decades ago"

I guess when Apple shows off their XR headset next week, we'll know what all products will look like for the next decade.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm waiting for translucent plastic shells to have their big comeback.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

Not for the better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

uber_stoat posted:

Pretty sure that shits still available in prisons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

look at that beautiful radioactive looking thing. be still my heart.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Now HERE'S the good poo poo

I like Frasurbane, but as a child in the 90s, Utopian Scholastic is what really does it for me.

https://www.are.na/evan-collins-1522646491/utopian-scholastic

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The POD album with "Youth of the Nation" and SOAD's "Toxicity" both came out on 9/11, so that feels like a pretty solid way to define the music decade as well. Nu-metal certainly existed in the late '90s, but starting around that time, it was everywhere.

Then again, Linkin Park's first album was in late 2000 and it's hard to get more 2000's than that, but it still seems like a little bit of an outlier.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Merkinman posted:

It even changed iProduct iNames. Companies just think: "copy what Apple is doing*"

https://www.trulydeeply.com.au/2009/09/isnack-2-0-when-brand-naming-goes-wrong/

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I've been on a bit of an aesthetics binge lately. I found this interesting yet somewhat lengthy youtube video about Y2K design which I really enjoyed.

Looking back the techno-optimisim looks hilariously dated and out of touch but it holds a special place in my heart. I was in my late teens and early 20s in that period. My life revolved around two things then, technology and the house, trance and club scene. Feel like I was fully immersed in this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMeoeGGEimE

Nowher has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Jun 3, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

This is a huge part of it, but another dimension to consider is that increased domestic visibility with shorter content cycles means much greater instant feedback and trends towards more simple/modular aesthetics. You can see it in youth fashion-- even the stuff they take from the past is the stuff that's very easy/quick to change and "looks" rarely go more than a few deviations from the norm.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nowher posted:

I've been on a bit of an aesthetics binge lately. I found this interesting yet somewhat lengthy youtube video about Y2K design which I really enjoyed.

Looking back the techno-optimisim looks hilariously dated and out of touch but it holds a special place in my heart. I was in my late teens and early 20s in that period. My life revolved around two things then, technology and the house, trance and club scene. Feel like I was fully immersed in this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMeoeGGEimE

Techno-optimism is a really spot-on way to refer to it :stare:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Windows 98 let you have a web page AS YOUR DESKTOP BACKGROUND! what DIDNT the future hold!?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

The Merkinman posted:

*Which for a while was "copy what Braun did decades ago"

I guess when Apple shows off their XR headset next week, we'll know what all products will look like for the next decade.

There are even mutual funds named iShares.

Not to mention if you look at Windows 11 they are still trying to copy OS#.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Killingyouguy! posted:

Windows 98 let you have a web page AS YOUR DESKTOP BACKGROUND! what DIDNT the future hold!?

"Active Desktop."

Two words that deserve to remain in the past, unspoken.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

uber_stoat posted:

That and the surreal early 3D stuff like on trapper keepers and poo poo are unironically the aesthetic things I miss most from the 90s and unironically enjoy. They're both so good.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Didn't Trapper Keepers come back?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

They are indeed back. I thought about getting one for my daughter but her school already gives their students binders and she doesn’t need more crap to stuff in her backpack.

Am I in a minority in finding Y2K-era tech/electronic device aesthetics to be utterly awkward? All the weird bubbly shapes, the superfluous curves and flourishes and poo poo never appealed to me at all, even when they were contemporary. I did like the transparent/translucent stuff but the design was just, idk, janky looking. I also thought that Apple’s skeuomorphism was tacky, and any themes on Linux DEs that tried to mimic it were even worse, where everything had this cheap plasticky look. I’m probably just a weirdo for having this opinion or even having an opinion on it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
No, you're right: it was pretty bad on all fronts. Garishly designed, cheaply made, ergonomically awful. As Braun-aping as Apple's later design was, at least it killed that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have some nostalgic affection for the clear plastic curvy stuff but not inasmuch as I'd like it to come back in any way.

What I love is the early 80s silver and wood paneling of like an old Pioneer hifi. That's the good poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah no one really wants skeumorphism to come back as a whole, but integrating elements like colored translucent plastic occasionally is y'know, not a bad thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have and always thought that the 1998 VW "New Beetle" was hilariously dated and not in the good way the original design was.

Heck they came out with a redesign a few years ago that's more faithful to the older models and it blows the 98 "New Millennium!" look out of the water

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Beastie posted:

I have and always thought that the 1998 VW "New Beetle" was hilariously dated and not in the good way the original design was.

Heck they came out with a redesign a few years ago that's more faithful to the older models and it blows the 98 "New Millennium!" look out of the water

It helps that the original Beetle is actually built out of its defining structural components, as opposed to the New Beetle, which is a Golf underneath a fuckton of paneling

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Heath posted:

What I love is the early 80s silver and wood paneling of like an old Pioneer hifi. That's the good poo poo.

Oh for sure. I acquired my parents’ old hifi from the mid ‘70s/early ‘80s with that aesthetic, and it’s classy and warm without looking archaic. Modern systems, with the advent of MP3, followed by Bluetooth and streaming, just seem, idk, empty and sterile.

Not to mention a lack of functionality. I can get my rig—which consists of a receiver and amp, turntable, cassette and open-reel decks, and an 8-track deck—to work with my phone with a Bluetooth aux adapter; but if you get a modern hifi system, it’s going to have the cheapest components because who the hell cares about any of those other formats anymore, right? Except you may as well get a Bluetooth speaker and call it a day.

aight gonna go yell at a cloud now

root beer has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jun 4, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

More about aesthetics; I found a couple of cool posts on Tumblr talking about the 80's Memphis style, how it was so specific to the tail end of the 80's and early 90's and why it keeps getting conflated with the 90's style . Basically how styles do not end immediately with the decade and always spill over in to the next, hence why it's totally fine to bring up the early 2000's in the 90's thread :v: 90's is better defined by dirty grunge aesthetic and distressed type-writer font..but then also segueing into embracing digital trends and the like

https://www.tumblr.com/waffled0g/719301686352576512/everyone-gets-the-90s-look-wrong-and-i-hate-it
https://www.tumblr.com/dingdongyouarewrong/719485575190675456/everyone-gets-the-90s-look-wrong-so-lets-fix-it

And yeah, any 80's style that doesn't include wood paneling everywhere is just wrong :colbert:

edit: Also, this is a very cool page that details all the different design styles from the different eras. Neat stuff!
https://cari.institute/aesthetics

Edit again: Another good post from them where they talk Hypnospace Outlaw and Vaporwave
https://www.tumblr.com/waffled0g/719504603447705600/how-good-is-hypnospace-outlaw-at-the-90s?source=share

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jun 8, 2023

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Had to fix your link to part 2 of that rant because it wasn’t working right. It’s spot on though, that’s definitely the true beginning of the aesthetic ‘90s

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Hello rabbit hole. This is great, thanks for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Had to fix your link to part 2 of that rant because it wasn’t working right. It’s spot on though, that’s definitely the true beginning of the aesthetic ‘90s

Oh, thank you! Didn't catch that! Fixed it in my post

pumped up for school posted:

Hello rabbit hole. This is great, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! It's super cool seeing all the different styles laid out like that and what years they were popular in

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jun 8, 2023