Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Breadmaster posted:

I'm sorry, when did that happen?

Heloise shared a cab with a Mary Worth character once a while back I believe (it might have been Mary herself), nothing too interesting

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 8, 2023

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Bill Amend is a pretty cool guy. In the 90s he responded to fan mail from my friend with a hand-drawn Slug-Man, and doodled on the envelope too. Tech-wise he's one of the few cartoonists I've seen (through several decades even) get right parts of Internet culture like MMOs and services like AOL and families adjusting to email and other new methods of communication, and I respect that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Breadmaster posted:

Larryb posted:

Heloise shared a cab with a Mary Worth character once a while back I believe (it might have been Mary herself), nothing too interesting

This, basically. It wasn't exciting, but it was weird that it was an actual Mary Worth/Phantom crossover. I really don't know why they decided it was a thing that had to happen, but hey.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 18, 1957)

penultimate panel, just a beautiful "shut the gently caress up while grown folks is talking" face.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Howard Beale posted:

Bill Amend is a pretty cool guy. In the 90s he responded to fan mail from my friend with a hand-drawn Slug-Man, and doodled on the envelope too. Tech-wise he's one of the few cartoonists I've seen (through several decades even) get right parts of Internet culture like MMOs and services like AOL and families adjusting to email and other new methods of communication, and I respect that.

That's my understanding too, and it's part of the reason I post FoxTrot on Sundays. The man has nerd cred, and he gets his nerd culture right.

Just try not to think about how if the characters aged in real time like Foob, Jason would be in his mid-40s now. :corsair:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Feb 14-15, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 26-27, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce Will resume this weekend once I've had a chance to collect some more strips.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Howard Beale posted:

His interactions with tech and geek stuff feel very "being written from the inside." It's endearing when he spends a whole sunday strip to set up a math pun.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 27, 1993)

1993? Survivor and Big Brother, the first things we'd recognize as modern reality TV, were still years in the future. What was Calvin Bill Watterson talking about here? Celebrity gossip shows?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

stuff like Cops, probably

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
^^^ that too ^^^

Powered Descent posted:

1993? Survivor and Big Brother, the first things we'd recognize as modern reality TV, were still years in the future. What was Calvin Bill Watterson talking about here? Celebrity gossip shows?

my guess is candid camera, americas funniest home videos, that sort of thing

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

stuff like Cops, probably

ellie the beep posted:

my guess is candid camera, americas funniest home videos, that sort of thing

Those all make sense, but yeah, Cops in particular is almost certainly what he was talking about.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And look how far we've come 30 years later! :negative:

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: :-)

Legends in the Heights

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

oh poo poo Mary Worth needs to go undercover and rescue dogs.

and she'll do it without loving Old Man Mozz wasting a year of prophecy.

I'd loving love if, without explanation, Mary just retrieves two pistols from a shoebox in her closet and goes to shut down the dog ring with gratuitous violence, then at the end puts them back, pretends to others that she has no idea what happened and winks to the reader.

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: :-)

Aside from the one guy having his monitor tilted away from him that's a pretty solud joke, Charles!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Breadmaster posted:

November 2015

Incidentally this was right after Phantom's John X story.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 8, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

davidspackage posted:

I'd loving love if, without explanation, Mary just retrieves two pistols from a shoebox in her closet and goes to shut down the dog ring with gratuitous violence, then at the end puts them back, pretends to others that she has no idea what happened and winks to the reader.

(the text hasn't been edited)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 8, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 05, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

:ironicat:

Boy It Sure Is A Loaded Thing To Say That The Society Of Prey Species Who Dare React Differently To Being Hunted For Food Teaches Its Children To Steal Things Rather Than Create Them Because It's Easier

Honestly, I like the idea of Wendell as a character. On paper, he's like the only sane person in Hellworld. Not only is he justified in his hatred of predators, he's also doing doing things like question the nature of the world here. In practice, Wendell falls victim under one of Holbrook's well-loved story beat for Hellworld: Prey species is forced/manipulated into spending time with people who have the power to kill him until the Stockholm Syndrome kicks in and he learns to accept them and their animal-eating ways. It's just uncomfortable how often it's the prey animal who has to be the one to see the light, so to speak.

Anywho Wendell is also frickin' annoying because his stories are all. the. loving. same. We seriously don't need another Easter bunny story, Holbrook. :argh:

I bust out laughing when I saw that tiny "traitor". The levels of pettiness on this coach is off the charts.

Honestly expecting the son to cut off his dad years later and for the dad to start posting in r/EstrangedParents though.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Kennel posted:

November 2015

Incidentally this was right after Phantom's John X story.

Dear god, that art is horrendous. Really makes me appreciate Brigman's artwork.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 25, 1957)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Gocomics isn't working for me this morning so no Get Fuzzy.

Brenda Starr 2/18/51

Smokey Stover 2/13/55

Spoilered for stereotypical depiction.

Everyday Movies 6/29/36

"Well, what's it gonna be? Just plain ice cream or a frankfurter and popcorn and then castor oil when you get home?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/17/41

-

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy Comics that go hard

Spoiler for Asian stereotypes

Sorry, no Pluggers since gocomics seems to be having problems!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'll get you, you loving horse! :argh:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Karma suggests he will be knocked from his saddle just as Val's stallion "accidentally" brings a hoof down.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

And that brings us into the next issue!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

What? No, no they aren't! Math is a shared game where we see how much we can invent from as few basic rules as possible. Playing with math is exactly how we should teach kids to engage with it! That's basically the entire gimmick of channels like Stand-Up Maths and two dozen others! Matt Parker's books are explicitly, textually, about helping people to engage with math for enjoyment.

Imagination is expanded by understanding more things! "A few trees I climb on all the time" isn't 'imagination'. Imagination is reaching for new and different thoughts, it's exploring new things. Math is just as important for that as exposure to new art and philosophy, or history and psychology, or...

gah

This is always a twee and awful strip, but this is one of the worst single comics it's ever put out, discouraging readers from learning, encouraging them to stay in a little box of no new thoughts or experiences, and pretending it's for their spiritual growth.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Try telling all that to all the math teachers who can't teach math for poo poo so kids just end up hating it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am also Richard Williams

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

And that brings us into the next issue!

What was it about fin helmets that so clearly spoke to people "clearly this person is from outer space"?

edit: or was it? I read "Martan" as "Martian"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 25, 1957)

"In justice I must kill that horse!"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you kill a horse, the number of horses in the world remains the same

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So kill two horses, is what you're saying

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ZeeToo posted:

What? No, no they aren't! Math is a shared game where we see how much we can invent from as few basic rules as possible. Playing with math is exactly how we should teach kids to engage with it! That's basically the entire gimmick of channels like Stand-Up Maths and two dozen others! Matt Parker's books are explicitly, textually, about helping people to engage with math for enjoyment.

Imagination is expanded by understanding more things! "A few trees I climb on all the time" isn't 'imagination'. Imagination is reaching for new and different thoughts, it's exploring new things. Math is just as important for that as exposure to new art and philosophy, or history and psychology, or...

gah

This is always a twee and awful strip, but this is one of the worst single comics it's ever put out, discouraging readers from learning, encouraging them to stay in a little box of no new thoughts or experiences, and pretending it's for their spiritual growth.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Try telling all that to all the math teachers who can't teach math for poo poo so kids just end up hating it.

I don't have time for complete thoughts on this right now, and I have to add the caveat that I'm forty this year and have no idea what it's like for Kids These Days. That said, while math should be fun and cool to learn, the way it's taught pre-university, in my experience, is all about memorizing things and doing drills so you can do well on whatever test is coming up. Some kids thrive in this kind of environment and go on to like math, but many don't, and there's also a cultural expectation that math is Very Hard that I think holds a lot of people back through sheer intimidation. Like Malachite is saying, your teacher can make a huge difference, but the way the whole system is set up is an issue. I'm no expert on education but the whole school system in the US seems designed to produce cogs to be worked to death to generate shareholder value, and now I'm getting political so I'll stop there, sorry. :(

To be clear I'm not saying the Macanudo strip isn't lame, is super is.

Edit to add: The character in the strip is maybe eight or whatever, so he's probably doing basic arithmetic drills with the expectation that there is one correct way of finding the answer to each problem. Even if he knows a different algorithm for addition or whatever that makes more sense to him, he's likely to get in trouble for using it.

Hwurmp posted:

if you kill a horse, the number of horses in the world remains the same

I mean this isn't the first time Val just found a horse somewhere, so it seems that way. Horses just exist.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 8, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

manero posted:

At least Floy-Floy doesn't have a hideous accent.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A friendly reminder: A few things from GoComics are still on Microsoft Start. Better bookmark it, because it's not in the drop-down menu. Not that it would've helped me much, but GoComics came back online as I finished typing this.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 2, 1935)

Still true, oddly enough. Inflation doesn't affect everything.

Peanuts (June 10, 1976)

Crankshaft

And the punchline is an eternal awareness of the grip of the Reaper.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire finally remembered he's supposed to be the sheriff.

Thimble Theater (January 8, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Welcome to Out Our Way 1942, and the opening theme of the New Year is everything is so shiny and clean, and we're deeply suspicious of what the hell they're gonna drop on us now. (January 1-3, 1942)

Speaking of which, the big thing on the front page is the fall of Manila on the 2nd and the Philippines being taken over by Japan. There's a good-sized selection (especially from the occupation period) of scans the English-language Manila Tribune. Because they were transitioning to full independence from the United States, the pre-invasion editions should look very familiar to us archive scroungers. Then the occupation forces show up and things take a turn.

But they still had a few strips lying around, and dammit, they were going to use them...or at least the ones that would pass the censors. That obviously didn't last very long, but one last whiff of pre-war while the new weirdness settles in.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 8, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Medenmath posted:

I don't have time for complete thoughts on this right now, and I have to add the caveat that I'm forty this year and have no idea what it's like for Kids These Days. That said, while math should be fun and cool to learn, the way it's taught pre-university, in my experience, is all about memorizing things and doing drills so you can do well on whatever test is coming up. Some kids thrive in this kind of environment and go on to like math, but many don't, and there's also a cultural expectation that math is Very Hard that I think holds a lot of people back through sheer intimidation. Like Malachite is saying, your teacher can make a huge difference, but the way the whole system is set up is an issue. I'm no expert on education but the whole school system in the US seems designed to produce cogs to be worked to death to generate shareholder value, and now I'm getting political so I'll stop there, sorry. :(

To be clear I'm not saying the Macanudo strip isn't lame, is super is.

Edit to add: The character in the strip is maybe eight or whatever, so he's probably doing basic arithmetic drills with the expectation that there is one correct way of finding the answer to each problem. Even if he knows a different algorithm for addition or whatever that makes more sense to him, he's likely to get in trouble for using it.

Agreed 100%. The whole system needs to be ripped out and replaced. (Replaced with what, I freely admit I don't know. But there's got to be something better.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

manero posted:

i don't want to edit the racial sterotype thing but pretend i changed this to be SPOTTED LANTERNFLIES