Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did not anticipate Diablo 4 being my favorite game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm sorry you haven't gotten to play totk yet

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Are there any good/fun builds for barbarian that aren't whirlwind? I heard there is some big hammer skill that is possibly neat?

And how viable are minion necromancers right now?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Have they said if you'll have to re get all the Lilith statues every season? I hope not...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Have they said if you'll have to re get all the Lilith statues every season? I hope not...

You have to redo everything else but not those apparently

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Node posted:

Are there any good/fun builds for barbarian that aren't whirlwind? I heard there is some big hammer skill that is possibly neat?

And how viable are minion necromancers right now?

Hammer of the ancients is good and fun, yes. All the barb spenders have itemization support that should work, though I personally hate upheaval. I'm using double swing and a perma-zerking/stun setup. Barb is pretty fun all-around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you get one turn in per hell tide ?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

I opened two chests myself.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

euphronius posted:

Nah, as many as you can fit in the hour. Can't reuse the same chest though.

Here's a map of the mystery chests (175, multiple legendaries generally, chance at mounts I believe)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Talking to people is fun, you never know what they will say!

Starving? Only got your skinny dog, so hungry, but refuse to eat him because he's been your friend forever and all you got?

Hahahaha..........

They made me sad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I casually walk up to another Lilith statue location. "Hey guys, whatcha lookin at?"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That reminds me, been seeing those enemies spawning inside of mountains and terrain everywhere.

First time was like, ha, suckers. And now it's like, okay they need to fix this.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I've been out of the Blizzard world for a while, can any of you translate this Ultimate Edition marketing word salad into English?

Blizzard boom MBA posted:

Accelerated Seasonal Battle Pass Unlock in Diablo® IV*** (including a Premium Seasonal Battle Pass Unlock plus 20 Tier Skips and a cosmetic)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I've been out of the Blizzard world for a while, can any of you translate this Ultimate Edition marketing into English?

When the battlepass releases for season 1, you will get the paid version + 20 levels already completed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Nah, as many as you can fit in the hour. Can't reuse the same chest though.

Here's a map of the mystery chests (175, multiple legendaries generally, chance at mounts I believe)

Helltides are best done with a group so you can maximize your time killing mobs.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When the battlepass releases for season 1, you will get the paid version + 20 levels already completed.
I'm old and not "with it" - what's a battlepass?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

wild given they had no internal QA test team

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 8, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Do poo poo to level up a bar to get cosmetics.

basically a skinner box for the skinner box

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

You get bonuses, cosmetics, maybe some boost and you pay them every three or so months for another season and another season and another season and....

It's known as a Suckers Bargain.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Deki posted:

Do poo poo to level up a bar to get cosmetics.

basically a skinner box for the skinner box
I'm sorry but I really don't understand this - the idea is to pay extra money to grind for cosmetics?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I'm sorry but I really don't understand this - the idea is to pay extra money to grind for cosmetics?

Yes. There will be tasks, most likely daily/weekly/seasonal and doing them fills up a bar and every bar gives you something. You are exposed to this just for playing but you'll get far less rewards unless you pay money to activate the 'premium track'

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes. There will be tasks, most likely daily/weekly/seasonal and doing them fills up a bar and every bar gives you something. You are exposed to this just for playing but you'll get far less rewards unless you pay money to activate the 'premium track'
OK, and the "accelerated" battlepass -- it's the same thing, but you're paying even more money to start grinding for these things earlier? Does "accelerated" just mean "early"?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

OK, and the "accelerated" battlepass -- it's the same thing, but you're paying even more money to start grinding for these things earlier? Does "accelerated" just mean "early"?

Unless they're doing something different than what other games typically do, by that they just mean that it gives 20 levels upfront. So that's 20 levels less you'd have to complete to finish the pass before the season ends.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

The lag is incredibly bad

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Before I do something stupid, what do I do with Legendaries that I'm not intending to use? Just salvage them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wellllll, I'd turn on adv tooltips so you can get an idea of your roll and extract well rolled aspects. Remember they are one time use only!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
wtf why aren't advanced tooltips on by default??? (thanks)

What do you mean one time use only? The aspect if I extract it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, I thought you could apply them and take them off like gems but once you use one it's on there forever. Just fair warning so you don't stick your really good aspect on a piece of leveling gear like I did

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I am feeling some serious buyer's remorse. The fight-to-fight gameplay is not that enjoyable so far. I'm a 50 Sorcerer and every build I've tried feels similar: get a big spike of power/damage and then run around doing comparatively little damage while cooldowns count down and/or mana regenerates. Is this just how sorc is meant to feel? I really want to like this game (mainly because I forked out $140 AUD to buy it) and let it get it's hooks in me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I roll another class that is less "feast or famine" like sorc? I don't really know what to do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just come back in a couple month and see what has changed I guess

I would assume character power will only go up

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

neurotech posted:

I am feeling some serious buyer's remorse. The fight-to-fight gameplay is not that enjoyable so far. I'm a 50 Sorcerer and every build I've tried feels similar: get a big spike of power/damage and then run around doing comparatively little damage while cooldowns count down and/or mana regenerates. Is this just how sorc is meant to feel? I really want to like this game (mainly because I forked out $140 AUD to buy it) and let it get it's hooks in me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I roll another class that is less "feast or famine" like sorc? I don't really know what to do.

I don’t feel this way playing hota/deathblow barb. Just constant smash, smash, SMAYUSH. I thought I was doing a lot of damage before and I probably quadrupled it with drops today. Just absolutely plowed through a hell tide event.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

neurotech posted:

Depends what you're describing. I don't stop casting ice spike as an ice spike build but it's feast or famine in as much as I delete packs when ice nova is ready and am very single-target and hunting for freeze procs when it isn't, but it's still pretty fun and strong during that. Are you talking about arc lash waiting for unstable currents? Firewall waiting for inferno?

Maybe take a break until season 1 starts?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rally posted:

I don’t feel this way playing hota/deathblow barb. Just constant smash, smash, SMAYUSH. I thought I was doing a lot of damage before and I probably quadrupled it with drops today. Just absolutely plowed through a hell tide event.

I one shot the last boss at level 43 with a CE necro. In fact I one shot every boss in the game (wt1 natch, but the stacking dots are sick, not going to be at all surprised when it gets nerfed)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Getting a little tired of blood necro, are there any fun alternatives for Nightmare and up?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Usually there are 100 levels to a battlepass and each level gives you some cosmetic reward, but they're tuned so you'd have to play basically non-stop to actually get every reward, especially the good ones that come at the end of the battle pass. So in addition to paying $70 for the game and $10 for the quarterly battlepass you then get to pay another $50 to $100 (depending on how many hours per day you play) to "accelerate" by X number of tiers and actually get all the rewards available in the battle pass. It's garbage tier mobile games/free to play nonsense that truly lovely companies like Activision have managed to include in full-price games.

I'm level 55 now and starting to think this game kind of sucks in the long run. The campaign was great but once it ends you're left with an insanely tedious grind in a half-assed shell of a 2010 style MMO world. There are numerous systems that are just flat out worse than Diablo 3 for no reason, a shitload of bugs that shouldn't have made it past an alpha test, and some completely baffling UI/UX that the entire team involved should feel ashamed of. Maybe they poured all their energy into building the campaign and battle pass/cash shop bullshit and didn't bother to think through how the endgame would work.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Yeah, I thought you could apply them and take them off like gems but once you use one it's on there forever. Just fair warning so you don't stick your really good aspect on a piece of leveling gear like I did

The aspects you unlock from dungeons aren't one-time-use right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Revitalized posted:

The aspects you unlock from dungeons aren't one-time-use right?

No, but they are always minimum roll.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Revitalized posted:

wtf why aren't advanced tooltips on by default??? (thanks)

What do you mean one time use only? The aspect if I extract it?

Applying an item aspect ("aspects" tab in inventory as opposed to the Codex) makes the resulting item "Imprinted" and it can not be removed from that, so one time only.

Sacred and Ancestral cost more money to extract and maybe more mats to apply? I put a Sacred aspect on an Ancestral item and it was surprisingly cheap, may be it's cheaper to do a sacred/ancestral aspect on a sacred/ancestral item, but need confirmation on that.

As mentioned I recommend keeping well rolled aspects of any kind, at least 1 of them and multiples if you think it's part of a build you might wanna do. Now that I'm in the 60+ end game I added another stash tab that only holds aspects for use in my current/goal build, makes it easy to see what slots I can afford to replace without them being really good.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

rally posted:

Did you level as hota/deathblow?

Hashy posted:

Depends what you're describing. I don't stop casting ice spike as an ice spike build but it's feast or famine in as much as I delete packs when ice nova is ready and am very single-target and hunting for freeze procs when it isn't, but it's still pretty fun and strong during that. Are you talking about arc lash waiting for unstable currents? Firewall waiting for inferno?

Maybe take a break until season 1 starts?

This is what my current build is: https://d4builds.gg/builds/98adce91-8988-4949-99c1-937d1693f4ff/. I find myself nuking packs/rares when Frost Nova is up, and then I run around casting Ice Shards when I have the mana to do so, and fall back to Frost Bolt which does gently caress all damage. I prefer playstyles that have momentum and can maintain said momentum. If I to stop and micromanage things too much I get frustrated.

I might take a break. I'll see how I go. Still feels bad after dropping $140 on it so recently :nyoron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im staring down the barrel of doing the 160 lilith statues and the renown grind and kinda not feeling it. Game was super fun through the campaign at least