Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

1stGear posted:

Going through the full crafting grind on BSM, blowing through probably close to 2 million gil in the process, getting a full scrip set, and then discovering I still couldn't consistently make HQ Indagator tools even with all HQ materials is one of the more demoralizing things I've experienced in this game.

by full scrip gear, do you mean the new afflatus gear? cuz if so, i fear the problem is less the gear being insufficient and more you being bad at math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

or is this one of those situations where someone just ignored the crafter job quests without knowing stormblood quests give you Manipulation, the most important crafting button

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

1stGear posted:

Going through the full crafting grind on BSM, blowing through probably close to 2 million gil in the process, getting a full scrip set, and then discovering I still couldn't consistently make HQ Indagator tools even with all HQ materials is one of the more demoralizing things I've experienced in this game.
Without knowing what you're doing and what's going wrong when attempting to craft Indagator stuff, here are some tips:
-Use food and a draught for more stats, mostly for more CP.
-I usually use Muscle Memory as my opening skill, with Veneration -> Groundwork a few steps later.
-Manipulation and Waste Not II do stack which then lets you use Groundwork and Preparatory Touch for 5 durability with both buffs up.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Thundarr posted:

Is this the first case of "servers are busy so the boss mechanic may break and just loving kill you" that we know of?

Back when Midas first dropped, Compressed Water in A6S could randomly decide to wipe the party. While SE never explained what specifically caused it, the prevailing consensus at the time was that it was an issue with server ticks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

1stGear posted:

HQ Calamari Ripieni and HQ Cunning Craftsman's Draught gets you there.

That's with zero melds in the Afflatus gear, to boot.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I've been making current food and pots with a full scrip gear set, though it needs food and a syrup, and all hq mats. https://www.icy-veins.com/ffxiv/crafting-doh-endgame-melding-stat-priority

There's a budget set in the gearset there and there's a link to a rotation you can pop into a macro.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Is this the first case of "servers are busy so the boss mechanic may break and just loving kill you" that we know of?

Pretty sure that was T5.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

There's already a crafting solver application so there's really no reason to fail a craft as it calculates and writes the entire macro for you.
Otherwise if you want to do it all by hand still no real reason to fail because you can do test synths or even use teamcraft/similar site and mess with it there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

There's already a crafting solver application so there's really no reason to fail a craft as it calculates and writes the entire macro for you.
Otherwise if you want to do it all by hand still no real reason to fail because you can do test synths or even use teamcraft/similar site and mess with it there.

Yeah, the Teamcraft sim tools are very useful if you're trying to craft on a budget. I did the last few tiers while dirt poor by throwing together some budget melds and then messing around with different action combinations/orders until I got something workable.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For original Twister, it may have been a combination of Twister being bugged or that there was a second part of the mechanic that was relatively unknown at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHo3AewOwog

You can see it here, the MNK just keeps walking and the Twister still kills him. The secondary part of the mechanic is that there was probably an invisible tether that snapshots your location at the beginning of the cast and if you're too far from that point as well, the Twister still kills you. This is why the circle movement or j movement strat sort of popped up in resolving it instead of a straight line.

But it's hard to say whether it was Twister that was actually mechanically different or that the server just couldn't handle the mechanic given the general lack of evidence. Nowadays I believe a straight line works just fine.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still like how T5 Divebombs were so obnoxious to do the "correct" way that the hide in the ditch method was created, and it took until T13 before they got players to do the bait and sidestep dance consistently.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am not geared enough to craft the latest food and potions, so I've been making the HQ mats for the latest food and potions and that's been working out okay so far but I don't know how long it'll last. How much food do people go through progging savage raids? I feel like if you made or bought 99 things last week, that'd last for awhile, no?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Food can last a while depending on prog, but PF people will burn through pots like crazy. 2-3 per pull if they're getting deep into a fight. They have a lower price range because they're easy to make, but they'll always be a consistent need. Food also might last longer per stack, but most people seem to like them in 20 stacks, which can go surprisingly fast in just a few raid nights, so it's not a terrible option by any means.

If you don't want to make the food itself, I've found the fish materials for high end food sell well. No need to make the Calamari recipe when you can just fish up the calamari itself and still turn a steady profit without the need to make a bunch of other mats, though you can do that too if you don't mind spending the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Basically one lockout will eat through 3 food. It’s easy to do 12 a week if you raid 2 nights.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When the black mage uses LB3 on Golbez and your lizard brain freaks out because it isn't time for one of his meteor attacks right this second.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'll ride it while I can, I guess. I let my DoH/L classes kind of languish in poor gear land for awhile so it's taking a bit of time to catch up. It would be good to give my fisher retainer something to do.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've been using old food and pots almost exclusively so far

hell, i'm not even bothering with food in p12s prog right now because i got so much left side gear

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Let any fish who meets my gaze learn the true meaning of fear; for I am the harbinger of death. The bane of creatures sub-aqueous, my rod is true and unwavering as I cast into the aquatic abyss. A man, scorned by this uncaring Earth, finds solace in the sea. My only friend, the worm upon my hook. Wriggling, writhing, struggling to surmount the mortal pointlessness that permeates this barren world. I am alone. I am empty. And yet, I fish.

I'm convinced that this new fishing glam is my lucky fishing outfit. Knocked out two of my nemesis's this week. Not to mention a slew of EW big fish.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
hey so dumb question but there's a card available from silver sacks in eureka orthos. what floors are best to farm those and/or will there be an NPC that you can duel in the future to get the card from? hoh had cards you could duel someone for after reaching a certain floor

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

THIS IS MY LUCKY SHIRT

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gz, Ruby Dragon was a bitch and my last big fish for Big Fish.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Gz, Ruby Dragon was a bitch and my last big fish for Big Fish.

It was just about to go on break for 13 days too. And the next window would have been 2am my time. So lol.

Zeruel posted:

hey so dumb question but there's a card available from silver sacks in eureka orthos. what floors are best to farm those and/or will there be an NPC that you can duel in the future to get the card from? hoh had cards you could duel someone for after reaching a certain floor

I believe those sacks drop at floor 31+, so either learn to run solo or do a dedicated group. (I need that card too, so if you ever wanna form a group to do some upper floors to farm the card, hit me up.)

It's interesting - I went to check because I could have sworn the NPC for those cards was added many patches later but it looks like nope, the NPC was added the same patch.

Double edit: I was double wrong. The NPC was added later. HoH came out in patch 4.35 and the NPC was added in 4.5.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 8, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
For what it's worth, the current tier food & tincture crafts are very low value per craft, at least on Chaos. Last night I was looking at ~10k in materials per craft to make 11.5k worth of tinctures. I would get more output from selling all my materials and running EXDR for however long I planned to craft and buying tinctures with the proceeds than I would from actually crafting tinctures.

Now, those activities are not equal in terms of engagement and what you can do at the same time, and I still did in fact craft potions while watching LPs for a few hours. Just, please be aware that this is standard: the food and potion markets saturate quickly. You can make money from them, especially when you include spiritbond, but it's one of the least time-efficient money making activities in the game.

Re: consumption rate, I routinely downed the full 20 tinctures/hour at the end of P8S progression. Turned out that the combination of a doorboss with relevant enrage that we often messed up with a second boss with a relevant enrage that we often messed up meant lots of drugs. Downing 40 bottles of something/raid night is generally not that uncommon once you start to smell the enrage cast. Healers and some casters will start going through Super-Ethers for raises earlier in prog too, but those at least are cheap and very quick to craft.

I also usually use tinctures on reclears but that's because I can easily afford to and I want to see what sort of numbers I can get, not because it contributes meaningfully.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeruel posted:

They drop from silver sacks, and the drop rate seems quite high (like 25%ish), so you'll probably get at least one the first time you finish a 31-40 set.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

a cartoon duck posted:

by full scrip gear, do you mean the new afflatus gear? cuz if so, i fear the problem is less the gear being insufficient and more you being bad at math

Well, I am insanely bad at math.

iPodschun posted:

Without knowing what you're doing and what's going wrong when attempting to craft Indagator stuff, here are some tips:
-Use food and a draught for more stats, mostly for more CP.
-I usually use Muscle Memory as my opening skill, with Veneration -> Groundwork a few steps later.
-Manipulation and Waste Not II do stack which then lets you use Groundwork and Preparatory Touch for 5 durability with both buffs up.

Kyrosiris posted:

HQ Calamari Ripieni and HQ Cunning Craftsman's Draught gets you there.

That's with zero melds in the Afflatus gear, to boot.

I've been using food and draughts, but Teamcraft was still consistently only giving me like 30% chances of HQ. Clearly I haven't put enough effort in. Thanks for all the advice!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I have a weird problem that keeps cropping up, mostly attributable to sausage fingers but nonetheless.. is there a way to change the chat log settings to make it so it doesn't "lock" on Battle for like 5 seconds when you're tabbing between the three options (General/Battle/Event)?

sometimes during combat I'll inadvertently select the chat log and then accidentally tab over from General to Battle, and then it locks for what seems like an eternity, completely unresponsive to any attempt to tab over to General or Event. this usually happens during really inconvenient and chaotic moments so I just have to get back to what I'm doing and hope no one says anything important until the next time I have enough breathing room to re-select the chat log and tab back to General (and also hope I don't accidentally tab back to Battle and lock it aga-gently caress)

I can't find anything in the chat log settings to change this. I play on controller btw

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/SmittenMiqitten/status/1666641023596998656?t=QDp19SSJP7P6NUtjW7AY5g&s=19

God Hole posted:

I have a weird problem...

I think I know what this is. You gotta train yourself to press circle (or B) when that happens if it's what happens to me. Sometimes the chat text box gets enabled and you have to exit that before you can tab with the shoulder buttons again

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 8, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Back in E4S a server issue could cause the boss enrage to be like 15 seconds sooner for certain instances, which decided the world first race

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

But Allag's aesthetics are awesome? :confused:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

They absolutely are

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kyrosiris posted:

Both things can be true.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The ruins you can see on the ground are completely different from the ones where you actually get inside. The ones in Southern Thanalan and Mor Dhona are weird palace things and everything else is the weird circuit board stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kazy posted:

The ruins you can see on the ground are completely different from the ones where you actually get inside. The ones in Southern Thanalan and Mor Dhona are weird palace things and everything else is the weird circuit board stuff.

Allag did have that whole rise and fall and rise again thing (before the earthquake finished them off for good), so it makes some sense that their design style has a lot of variation.

Also, give me more Allagan Tron-lines outfit parts.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Stormblood is pretty good so far.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Malah posted:

Stormblood is pretty good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47F4V-or73s

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I think I know what this is. You gotta train yourself to press circle (or B) when that happens if it's what happens to me. Sometimes the chat text box gets enabled and you have to exit that before you can tab with the shoulder buttons again

I took a video of what I'm describing

https://imgur.com/a/JrnkQof

so when I press R1 or L1 to toggle between the three tabs, it gets hooked on the 'Battle' tab and locks up for a full 5 seconds. Even when I deselect the chat log and reselect it, it will still remain locked until that 5-second window is over, after which I may toggle among the three tabs again.

But if I toggle it to 'Battle' again? it locks up every time, can't even mouse click it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can you change the binds for scrolling chat tabs so you dont accidentally hit it so much

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Do we know what the manderville tier 3 weps ilvl will be?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assume 645

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I just wanna say that the timing for the wing attacks in P12 is really weird and wonky. You have to move out way earlier than the animation would suggest to avoid getting hit.

But now I can say I've completed a full (normal) 8-man raid series for this game. Kinda weird to start with the latest I guess, but oh well.