Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that the Sunshower Heathcliff identity is based on a character we will meet in Part 2, the same way the Rosespanner Rodion Identity was available at the beginning of Part 1 and is roughly based on Niko.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ariamaki posted:

I think the main thing with Vergilius' response about the Boughs is that it's a lot easier to make a joke than it is to say "Well Lobotomy Corporation's co-founder pulled a beached-whale-rear end moment and now we are never going to STOP finding the body, but her limbic and nervous systems are pretty valuable stuff given the whole Singularity thing" and expect any response other than Permanent loving Screaming. Dante's not quite ready for that kind of information.

I'm pretty sure that after the vision-quest deathmatch atop a giant pile of bodies at the end of Ch. 3 Dante is ready for pretty much anything, whether he'd actually play along is an entirely different story.

Faust has run into a unique issue in that it's implied that current Dante is a better person than whoever they were(she tends to pause and stare a bit whenever they express genuine moral concern about something) so they might not be on board for the same things

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023

TeeQueue posted:

Hey guys, time for TQ to do another math as I try to figure optimal farm strats.

Sounds great; as a bonus, if you keep it up for a whole season, you’ll get to meet Carmen irl

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Cirina posted:

Because IDs are based on other people, so it's an ID based on a TLA person who uses the EGO as their own equipment. It's not 'Heathcliff wearing an EGO' it's 'Heathcliff using an ID that puts him into the role of someone who has the EGO as their equipment'. Like how Faust has an ID that puts her into the role of Kromer, and another that puts her into the role of Yuri, etc. We just don't know who that is quite yet because we haven't seen anyone using it in the story. We'll probably meet them in part 2.
Except the other person the ID is based on can be just you, see Gripclair, Old G Gregor, and all the generic mook IDs, so it was a decision they didn't inherently need to make for Sunshower Heathcliff to be "Heathcliff but if he was the TLA guy wearing the Sunshower EGO" and not "Heathcliff but if he was wearing the Sunshower EGO."

GilliamYaeger posted:

Because of the hood, I strongly suspect that this is actually a Dongbaek identity (aka the woman who stabbed Yi Sang and may or may not be his wife) so it's likely not a "goon" but rather a specific named character.
If you look at her full sprite, she's wearing a raggedy hoody with jeans and sneakers, unlike the EGO which is a poncho over what seems to be the usual suit and tie.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And just hit the Sinclair Announcer/Ishmael Capote milestone, just before the update drops tomorrow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ive been visited by the Rosespanner Meursault Ghost apparently, when I burned my lunacy on the banner I got him like 20 times somehow and got him from both the meur banner and standard banner dailies today

i have so many meursault shards

RandomReader posted:

Except the other person the ID is based on can be just you, see Gripclair, Old G Gregor, and all the generic mook IDs, so it was a decision they didn't inherently need to make for Sunshower Heathcliff to be "Heathcliff but if he was the TLA guy wearing the Sunshower EGO" and not "Heathcliff but if he was wearing the Sunshower EGO."

If you look at her full sprite, she's wearing a raggedy hoody with jeans and sneakers, unlike the EGO which is a poncho over what seems to be the usual suit and tie.

Old G Gregor is based off of that random saluting guy from his chapter 1 bough thing, but you are correct otherwise. IDs are either an alternate version of a Sinner or just someone else with that Sinner's face plastered on(grippy Faust, tingtang Hong Lu, etc)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The real calculus for optimal enk use is "can I be assed to do this today"

Junpei posted:

And just hit the Sinclair Announcer/Ishmael Capote milestone, just before the update drops tomorrow.

i'm at 17 because i refuse to do more than 3 dungeons a week

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 7, 2023

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Old G Gregor is based off of that random saluting guy from his chapter 1 bough thing,

this one's really obvious because G Corp Gregor chose to join while Limbus Gregor was forced to undergo the genetic modification surgery as a child

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Yinlock posted:

The real calculus for optimal enk use is "can I be assed to do this today"

i'm at 17 because i refuse to do more than 3 dungeons a week

you get one for free every day, even with no bonus, that's 7 x 4 = 28 notches per week you're missing out on.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yinlock posted:

Old G Gregor is based off of that random saluting guy from his chapter 1 bough thing, but you are correct otherwise. IDs are either an alternate version of a Sinner or just someone else with that Sinner's face plastered on(grippy Faust, tingtang Hong Lu, etc)
I wonder what the justification for that will be? Because it seems like they're sometimes getting Identities from other people rather than just alternate versions of themselves...except Grippy Faust is strong evidence against that since she's clearly Faust rather than Kromer in Sinclair's story. Maybe Faust is using her theorized ability to share information with her alternative selves to manipulate them into imitating people from the "prime" timeline?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think people are overthinking it and it's not that complicated. IDs are alternate universe versions of the sinners who have taken up the roles of different characters, but they have not literally become those other characters. they are still themselves, they just exist in different circumstances.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I started enjoying the mirror dungeons a lot more once I realized that basically any combination of sinners ids will clear them with minimal effort, and I should just pick random ID's and watch the animations. It went from tedious to mildly interesting, since there's a lot of love in the animations of this game.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I like bringing in the Kurokumo gang and getting the White Gossypium. The enemies are already dead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Onehandclapping posted:

I started enjoying the mirror dungeons a lot more once I realized that basically any combination of sinners ids will clear them with minimal effort, and I should just pick random ID's and watch the animations. It went from tedious to mildly interesting, since there's a lot of love in the animations of this game.

I do that and it's still tedious. It would be nice if there was an option that would autoselect 'win rate' for the entire battle, like many other gacha games.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

you get one for free every day, even with no bonus, that's 7 x 4 = 28 notches per week you're missing out on.

they aren't bonus notches though, so gently caress 'em. The bonuses are the only reason I even bother to do more than 1, the mirror dungeon is super tedious

GilliamYaeger posted:

I wonder what the justification for that will be? Because it seems like they're sometimes getting Identities from other people rather than just alternate versions of themselves...except Grippy Faust is strong evidence against that since she's clearly Faust rather than Kromer in Sinclair's story. Maybe Faust is using her theorized ability to share information with her alternative selves to manipulate them into imitating people from the "prime" timeline?

Grippy Faust just seems to just be Kromer with Faust's verbal tics. Though there are definitely slight differences with the other-character IDs, like cannibal Gregor not being that fond of Ryoshu despite being the Jack to her Pierre. Though that could be what those two were like before the Light hit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, uh, fun fact I found out while doing Research in an effort to predict the plot: IRL Gubo, Park Taewon? He's the grandfather of Bong Joon-Ho, the director behind Snowpiercer and Parasite.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
No kidding? That's actually quite interesting.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Junpei posted:

So, uh, fun fact I found out while doing Research in an effort to predict the plot: IRL Gubo, Park Taewon? He's the grandfather of Bong Joon-Ho, the director behind Snowpiercer and Parasite.

This is a very fun fact! It also led to one of Bong Joon-Ho's children (or possibly a nephew? I forget) getting into this franchise and discovering, to their almost terrifying laughter / horror, that their great grandfather is the inspiration for a video game character with a lot of fanart about them. It's genuinely excellent.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Junpei posted:

You mean that movie that made the waves a few years ago?!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
say strong, compatriots, only 2 hours until we get More Plot.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

lmao got fox heath on the first 10 roll

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Sunshower is terrible (his S2 has a max roll of loving TEN?! Twelve at -15 SP, which is only one point better than W Don's S1) and Rcliff remains undefeated.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 8, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
70 HOUR WORKWEEK. Jesus, the City really is the Worst of late-stage capitalism isn't it.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I mean, it's 10 but it's 10x4 or 12x4 possibly which is quite strong. Maybe not R Cliff's sheer burst but might be useful in longer fights where you might have to watch ammo.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, I don't think he's terrible; the clash power on his skill 2 sucks, sure, but it's also one of the strongest damaging S2s. Plus he's got innate Fragile, Blunt Damage Up, Protection, a strong S3...genuinely I think he's a pretty solid identity.

...The only problem is that he's competing for a slot with R Heath, one of the best identities in the game.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
R Heathcliff is mono-pierce. So Sunshower Heathcliff is stronger against things that are resistant to Pierce and weak to Blunt.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

RoyalScion posted:

I mean, it's 10 but it's 10x4 or 12x4 possibly which is quite strong. Maybe not R Cliff's sheer burst but might be useful in longer fights where you might have to watch ammo.
That's only in ideal circumstances with extremely low SP and good luck. Even N Sinclair rolls heads semi-regularly. The real question is - can he even reliably maintain low SP?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
6 power Skill 1
10 Power Skill 2

that's gonna be uh, rough

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

GilliamYaeger posted:

That's only in ideal circumstances with extremely low SP and good luck. Even N Sinclair rolls heads semi-regularly. The real question is - can he even reliably maintain low SP?

He can just inflict paralysis on himself to make that moot :v:

Well, not completely moot, but it should help him win clashes at least. Probably why his skill values are so low. I wonder if there's going to be any fights that drop loads of paralysis on you?

CountDuckoo
Jul 27, 2022
Be careful when fighting the new enemies after the repeat ones, if they get to low sanity and start targeting each other the game can crash. Also, enemies targeting each other is kinda buggy in general, it seems to be impossible to clash with a skill that is being targeted by another enemy. Otherwise I do like the new enemy types even though I'm only partway through the new content, and looking forward to whatever miniboss(es?) are coming up.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The intent with Fox Heath seems to be that you Counter turn 1 to gain Sinking and to self-Paralyze, plus Protection from his passive and Blunt Damage Up from the enemy hit, then use that lowered SP to strike next turn. If you still don't have a good target then you Counter again until there's a target of opportunity, and due to the Sinking stacking you have even more Protection to soak the hits. Since Counters don't clash, this also keeps him on a negative SP trajectory. Ideally he's hitting one-sided attacks and minimizing clashes until you get a good S3 or a defending enemy.

The main problem is that there's just not a lot of call to have a tank right now, especially with clash rules and how Stagger thresholds work and the general weakness of healing. Maybe when we get hard content where the goal isn't to do it within X turns.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I mean, he might not hit big numbers all the time but I don't think you can call him terrible within 15 minutes of him releasing.

Heathcliff also doesn't really have any useful EGOs besides his base right now so you can probably run his sanity into the ground without having worry about sacrificing an EGO slot.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Heathcliff AEDD is a low HP charge gloom EGO and Outis Sunshower is a Poise with some sinking gluttony EGO.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
like our other negative coin friend to date (N Sinclair), Sunshower Heathcliff hits pretty hard

i'm not convinced that he's better than Bunnycliff for generic use, but in fairness, bunnycliff is one of the absolute best identities in the game for anything except long fights

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
otoh, real big fan of sunshower heathcliff's sprite

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
sounds like the devs are trying to give Shi Heathcliff and Blade Lineage Outis some support with those new EGOs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

basically my take is that the only real standout of the s2 identities so far is Rose Rodion, but I'm pretty sure the others have a place in various focused teams and that's a good place for this dumb gacha game to occupy

RoyalScion posted:

I mean, he might not hit big numbers all the time but I don't think you can call him terrible within 15 minutes of him releasing.

Heathcliff also doesn't really have any useful EGOs besides his base right now so you can probably run his sanity into the ground without having worry about sacrificing an EGO slot.

heathcliff telepole is Pretty Decent

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Also, the top right of the stage select is looking really ominous.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, he's no help in this chapter due to slash resistance, Rose Gregor is really fun. Good clashing, great animations, and self-supports legerdemain. What more could he need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Of course, Meursault is the type to read out individual emojis out loud, lmao.