Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

DiscoJ posted:

Hotels would need to be checked one-by-one I think.

‘Coin laundry’ is what you should search for finding the standalone places. There are plenty around.

Right on, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Both my hotels this past trip had a laundry room consisting of two machines for ten floors of guests. I set my alarm and did my laundry at 3am and I wasn’t the only one.

I’ll definitely check out local coin laundry places next time.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I bring an extra pair of socks and let them keep drying on my pack the day after. As in I put them in a mesh pocket. Also wool helps a lot if your socks are still a little damp.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
For tokyo hotels the best time to do laundry is after checkout hours if you are going to drop back by the hotel. Note that you need to be back at the hotel to pick up laundry again.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Just buy new socks from Uniqlo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh most hotels in Japan don't have an all-in-one laundry service where you drop it at the front desk in the morning and they bring it up to your room in the afternoon.
Very nice hotels probably do but I've never stayed in one!

Hong Kong and Vietnam have this service, not sure about other Asian countries.

"Coin laundry" laundromats usually have detergent pumps in the washers so you don't need to buy soap.
Dryer sheets aren't really a thing in Japan because most homes don't have a dryer.

Wearing your worst socks and undies and throwing them away as you travel is also something I've done.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What's the local taxi app competing against Uber in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Need one that allows me to choose 5 passengers. I know Uber can do it, wanted to check out the other ones.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lol internet. posted:

What's the local taxi app competing against Uber in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka?

Need one that allows me to choose 5 passengers. I know Uber can do it, wanted to check out the other ones.

Taxi GO, at least for Tokyo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

DiDi?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GO has a bigger network than Didi, and I prefer the GO interface too.

In Tokyo you can choose a Premium taxi (van for 5-6 passengers) but Fukuoka didn't have that option (in May 2023).

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 11, 2023

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is it easy to get psyllium husk/other fibers for good pooping at convenience stores? What is it called?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Zachack posted:

I'm trying to plan a ~3 week trip either in fall or spring, almost certainly next year. I really don't like heat and humidity. Having never been to Japan, does it make sense to do something on the order of a week in Tokyo (either start or finish) and then go north, with the idea being getting to Hokkaido/Sapporo? Most of the discussion about Japan seems to revolve around the "middle" with Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nagoya. What, if anything, is in the north chunk of the country? We like nature and culture/museums so having "exciting fun" isn't critical. Also eating and booze (I'm curious about their craft breweries). And probably a Disney park because we are stupid.

One catch though is that we take a slightly dim view of "nature that we can get in the US" - friends of ours recently went to South America and a lot of their hiking/biking looked like... California, and without much else since being out in nature-areas means there tends to be a lot fewer people and accompanying "stuff". Which I get, California is a huge loving place with ferocious geographical variety and what it doesn't have the nearby states fill in a lot of gaps. But ideally, something different from that, within reason.

I've planned out a few bigger overseas trips in the past and was able to rely on Rick Steves as a pretty good filter for things that are worth seeing if you'll likely never go back - is there a Japanese equivalent? As people have griped, Google SEO is making this harder to figure out than I thought. Should I just rely on Fodors/Lonely Planet? I realize how insanely broad this seems but I don't really know what a good starting point is.

I'm actually fresh back from a trip to Hokkaido. I stuck mostly to the southwest corner, from Sapporo down to Hakodate. (sadly, my travel partner ended up needing surgery not long before the trip and so we had to cut the more strenuous hike plans.) I'm not totally sure I saw anything in nature that you couldn't find somewhere in the US, except possibly Mt Yotei, which is a massive Fuji-like stratovolcano. (maybe redundant with e.g. Mt Rainier, though a little better shaped/less exploded) And the volcanic vent areas are pretty unusual but probably not that far off of what you'd find in Yellowstone. Daisetsuzan and Shiretoko may have more unique terrain, but honestly the pictures didn't look super different from parts of the western US. Not to say the whole place isn't lovely! But the US covers most types of natural phenomena and I struggle to think of more than a couple types of landscape that are totally absent from anywhere in the US.

Sapporo seems to be the only place up there large enough to feel like a major city. It doesn't have a lot of sightseeing to do that I could find, but there's a lot of nightlife and restaurants. Hakodate is fairly expansive but didn't seem all that dense outside of a small core around the train station. It was interesting to be in a city that was very car-centered yet still distinctly japanese, though. Felt like somehow Tokyo cross-bred with Cleveland or something. But there's lots of good food all over the place.

I did enjoy the cultural stuff in Hokkaido. Aside from Ainu stuff it's all obviously much newer than most of Japan's cultural sites, and the majority of what we saw was like 18th/19th century. Old trading houses in Otaru which used to be a major port gateway to Hokkaido, things like that. Which was cool, it's an era that's not super well-represented in my Japan experiences down in the Kanto region.

The other thing I'll mention since you said spring/fall is that in early June it was still only low 60s and often required a jacket. It's pretty far north and markedly colder than elsewhere, and that'll increase dramatically if you're looking at mountain trekking. July and August are basically the non-winter months at the highest elevations. If you think you want to hike somewhere, do check the specific park's climate for the month you'll be there.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Is it easy to get psyllium husk/other fibers for good pooping at convenience stores? What is it called?

You can order it from amazon Japan and have it shipped to a convenience store.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Just eat enough veggies, drink water and walk a lot. Or put the bidet on the strongest setting and hold on to your rear end!

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

You can order it from amazon Japan and have it shipped to a convenience store.

can you use amazon Japan as a foreigner?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Crampy Grampaw posted:

can you use amazon Japan as a foreigner?
Yes but you need to make an amazon Japan account. An existing foreign amazon account won't work.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Thank you!

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 19, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Was planning on going to visit a friend in Tokyo in mid May but unfortunately that trip got cancelled. However, the good news is that my friend is still going to be around later in late September early October albeit this time more centred around Osaka. So, I could go and fly to Osaka and visit him for a bit, and possibly do what I was going to do somewhat in reverse, visiting him for a bit in Osaka, then going out around some other cities for a while, including Tokyo, then back to Osaka for another visit before leaving. Or perhaps I could make it into a linear journey, coming into Osaka and leaving from Tokyo.

Anyway, I'm happy that it seems like there's another good opportunity to visit, though I'm wondering on the dates. I could arrive in the 3rd or 4th week of September, and stay for 16ish days or so leaving mid Oct, or I could even arrive later in the first week of October and stay for most of October. Any reason whether wise or any other reason to lean in any direction or the other?

Maybe this sounds like a very fussy and irrelevant question as it's just a few days difference either way, but in my neck of the woods, around this time of year the weather changes remarkably quickly, and so even just a week is the difference between Summer and a dramatically more cold and rainy weather. Not curious what it's like in Japan that time of year.

Some basic googling suggests that it's low twenty degrees celcius in October so could be more comfortable if late September is still very hot?

For my May trip I was looking forward to going to gardens, tho for this late September, early October period I suspect I'm likely hitting them not at a terribly great time as they're likely in transition between rough late summer but before things look at their best in Autumn?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

For my May trip I was looking forward to going to gardens, tho for this late September, early October period I suspect I'm likely hitting them not at a terribly great time as they're likely in transition between rough late summer but before things look at their best in Autumn?

Yeah, either case is likely too early for much autumn leaf season (that’s become late October through November the last few years) short of like Hokkaido. There might be a bit higher chance of typhoons coming in September, but not so much as to sway one way or another. Biggest thing is the humidity should be lower and temps falling from mid-September.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How many times do I gotta say Niihama Taiko Festival Oct 16,17,18

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I'm looking for recommendations for a yakatabune dinner cruise in Tokyo (in late October). Does anyone have any experience with these types of tours? I have found a handful of companies with English websites and they all look pretty similar, so I was hoping some goons might be able to help me narrow down my options or point me in the direction of a good one. TIA

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anybody have any recommendations for a fancy dinner in Kobe? Fancy as in good food, not as in for dates.

Going to do the stereotypical thing and get ~Kobe beef~

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thanks mods

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Thanks mods

grand fromage sucks but sometimes he gets it right I guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Great Autismo! posted:

grand fromage sucks but sometimes he gets it right I guess

motherfucker

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ngl I was hoping for a three day probation for mod-sass, but I'm just happy u noticed me ٩(^◡^)۶

hope u've been well dude, we'll be in Japan full time starting next month, come visit and hang

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sup

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Are 2000 yen notes problematic? One of the people I'm going to Japan with next month exchanged some money and got several of them, and then read online that some locals don't like them, maybe similar to how some people don't seem to know what to do with $2 bills in the US.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Great Autismo! posted:

hope u've been well dude, we'll be in Japan full time starting next month, come visit and hang

I have not been well but hopefully will be back in Japan eventually. Used up my free plane tickets already this year.

(hire me to be your personal chef plz i gotta get out of here)

socketwrencher posted:

Are 2000 yen notes problematic? One of the people I'm going to Japan with next month exchanged some money and got several of them, and then read online that some locals don't like them, maybe similar to how some people don't seem to know what to do with $2 bills in the US.

I had a bunch of them last trip. People will do a double take but it's not like they're refused or anything. It is similar to going around with $2s.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

socketwrencher posted:

They’re fine but I believe they are mostly distributed through foreign exchange now so you’ll occasionally come across a teenage retail employee who has never seen one. My mom used to send them to me for birthdays and we never had a problem using them.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Ok cool, sounds not worth stressing about, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can lol about the 2000 yen notes then the cashier will lol too. Some of those cash exchange machines only dispense 2000 yen notes and you gotta lol.

Cash is king, they'll happily accept your money.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I lived in Japan for 4 years and never once saw a 2000 yen note

I wouldn't believe they exist tbh

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They send them all away for foreign exchange so you can only get them in foreign lands like the US or Okinawa.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
The back of the note looks like my drunken attempts at hiragana:

Cool that they honor Albert Einstein:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I find it interesting how the 2000 yen bill was basically a way to encourage more spending. There's a physiological aspect of paying with 2 bills instead of 1 so a lot of things in Japan try to price stuff as 1000 yen or less. If people could pay with a single 2000 yen bill then that physiological aspect is lessened.

Though I guess it doesn't really matter now with the advent of electronic money being widespread in the last couple of years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, N’thing that the 2000 yen bills are now found mostly in money exchanges, my family visited for Golden Week and they were stocked with them. People will take them but look at them weird, and some automatic machines aren’t set to handle them and are 1000/5000/10,000 bills only.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I read newly designed yen are going to be released next year.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Zettace posted:

I find it interesting how the 2000 yen bill was basically a way to encourage more spending. There's a physiological aspect of paying with 2 bills instead of 1 so a lot of things in Japan try to price stuff as 1000 yen or less. If people could pay with a single 2000 yen bill then that physiological aspect is lessened.

I've always maintained that the non-acceptance of the 2000 yen bill is because it breaks the pattern of physical money. 1-5-10-50-100-500-1000-5000-10000. Elegant and simple. The 2000 smashes into that like a drunken salaryman on his way to karaoke in Kabukicho.

It also really smells of being a paean to Americans, who love their Jacksons. We're too used to our weird 1¢-5¢-10¢-25¢-$1-$5-$10-$20 busted pattern. (I'm intentionally omitting 50¢-$50-$100 as they see little daily use.)

Busy Bee posted:

I read newly designed yen are going to be released next year.

They suck. The font for 1000-5000-10000 looks like rear end picked from the Excel dropdown, and there was no reason to replace Yukichi other than that Abe was in power for so long that he likely stuck his hand into the whole process. (Fukuzawa has been on the 10000 bill since 1984.)