Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
can a mod rename the part of the thread title from "Live and Drink" to "Die and Thirst" please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hated by mollusks would be a great SA username

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lets Try This

Blah blah Joppa quest blah blah found this tho

drat

We go to the rust wells because I guess I want to ruin my equipment

these fuckers will rust a random item in your inventory making it unusable until you find a way to fix it. Food excluded and prolly a couple other item types like ammunition maybe?

goats are bros. goatfolk however

We consider throwing ourself down the well but last time i did that there were two slugsnouts and i died. and baes on my current track record in this lp there is probably a loving clone of Saad Amus down there if i do that so we take the stairs like a bitch

We paste a bunch of dorks learn that I don't need my torch here so I can use my big steel shield that requires an active hand slot. We go down to the next level. The electrobow proves invaluable since i dont have to engage the qudzu in melee

The 3rd level is immediately a little more hostile

We retreat

we rest up and run back down the stairs and finding a very wounded bear ( must have fought the centipede when i left ) we gain a level after dispatching it

We name it after Qudzu culture

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 7, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lmao the axe weilding fire sprayer dying to the first baboon is just hilarious.

The farthest I've ever gotten in a run was by abusing the tactic of "burninate things to death, play keep-away until its off cooldown if they survive the first one", so you dying that fast was a surprise.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'll be honest, I just toggled on the debug mode option so the game asks if you really wanna die. Now I've achieved my dream of quad wielding chain lasers and it is beautiful.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

This was a mercy; you were not, in fact, immune to clone disintegration

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Praetorians start with a kicking rad bow now!?! Also I'll throw in a vote for a techy sort of character. Yes they do suck to get off the ground.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

habituallyred posted:

Praetorians start with a kicking rad bow now!?! Also I'll throw in a vote for a techy sort of character. Yes they do suck to get off the ground.

Nah they start with an Issarachi rifle. I found that it someone's chest at Joppa

If this one fails it's a mutant tinker I think next

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
e: im more awake now and adjusted the last gameplay post

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 7, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Four-armed, four-legged tinker is a great niche. Modifications galore! Four modded weapons can make you a brute in melee and you'll really haul rear end if you spring-load both pairs of footwear. Throw in web spinning and you're essentially a superintelligent spider which rules

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

As someone just getting into Qud, this was a tremendous thread to catch up on!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Four-armed, four-legged tinker is a great niche. Modifications galore! Four modded weapons can make you a brute in melee and you'll really haul rear end if you spring-load both pairs of footwear. Throw in web spinning and you're essentially a superintelligent spider which rules

Chimera+multiple legs is very nice for a tinker build. The legs let you kite enemies when you are not so tough and when you have sick missile weapons; growing new limbs will frequently give you a hand slot (additional melee attack) and an additional arm slot (for any of the many tech bracelets: force, hologram, scanning, etc). Additional face slots are okay, but you can usually do okay getting just one through a two-faced helmet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ty mods

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

prisoner of waffles posted:

Chimera+multiple legs is very nice for a tinker build. The legs let you kite enemies when you are not so tough and when you have sick missile weapons; growing new limbs will frequently give you a hand slot (additional melee attack) and an additional arm slot (for any of the many tech bracelets: force, hologram, scanning, etc). Additional face slots are okay, but you can usually do okay getting just one through a two-faced helmet.

I had a chimera who just absolutely would not stop growing new faces. I had like six or seven goddamn faces. I think I mutated like one pair of feet or something, and everything else was just wall-to-wall faces every four levels. I ended up just wearing a shitload of severed Putus Templar faces for the ego bonuses so that stuff would be cheaper; I can only imagine what a sight that guy must have been, shambling into town draped head-to-toe in the flayed, silently screaming faces of murdered fascists

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Angry Diplomat posted:

I had a chimera who just absolutely would not stop growing new faces. I had like six or seven goddamn faces. I think I mutated like one pair of feet or something, and everything else was just wall-to-wall faces every four levels. I ended up just wearing a shitload of severed Putus Templar faces for the ego bonuses so that stuff would be cheaper; I can only imagine what a sight that guy must have been, shambling into town draped head-to-toe in the flayed, silently screaming faces of murdered fascists

I would definitely give that man a discount

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
You've heard of the five fingered discount, but have you considered the six faced discount?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Caves of Qud

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Had to take the hotspot back to the library so next update will be a few days off!!!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Angry Diplomat posted:

If I was a shopkeeper and going to give discounts, "guy with have a dozen heads wearing murder fascists as facemasks" would definitely qualify. :v:

Does having a bunch of heads penalize you, like if there are enemies with gaze attacks there's more chances for it to make eye contact?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Quite the opposite; having many heads makes you drastically more resistant to death by decapitation. This guy didn't have a million heads though. He just kept manifesting gross faces on various parts of his body, then shamefully hiding them from the eyes of God using even grosser faces that he ripped from the skulls of post-apocalyptic eugenics knights.

Gaze attacks don't really care what your eyes are doing in CoQ; a Lithofex can petrify you if it can see you, regardless of whether you're looking at it.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Caves of Qud is cool, I wanna play Caves of Qud now. The thread got delayed, but I need my fix

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I got a hotspot again so updates will resume tomorrow!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The LP is on indefinite hiatus as I may or may not have thrown my laptop out my window

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

verbal enema posted:

The LP is on indefinite hiatus as I may or may not have thrown my laptop out my window

We've all been there

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Fly and Burst: A Laptop of Qud SSLP

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

verbal enema posted:

Maybe this is a faux pas to suggest, but if you want to open the thread up to be a "Let's All Play Caves of Qud" thing I'd be happy to post some Qud myself :shobon:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

verbal enema posted:

see this is why you are better off with a traditional full tower desktop

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snake Maze posted:

Maybe this is a faux pas to suggest, but if you want to open the thread up to be a "Let's All Play Caves of Qud" thing I'd be happy to post some Qud myself :shobon:

Nah go for it you and anyone else is more than welcome!!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

verbal enema posted:

How to describe the roguelike gaming experience in a single sentence.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I dunno if whoever's starting next is taking votes, but if they are and also taking a mutant- I vote temporal fugue. I keep getting fragged or shot by my clones and dying in most of my recent attempts. I wouldn't mind seeing someone do it right instead.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I dunno if whoever's starting next is taking votes, but if they are and also taking a mutant- I vote temporal fugue. I keep getting fragged or shot by my clones and dying in most of my recent attempts. I wouldn't mind seeing someone do it right instead.

i don't think i can commit to doing an LP run right now but the secret is that if you use clones, you don't need ranged weapons. the clones are your ranged weapons, and they scale with melee skills, mutations, and gear.

so basically do a bog standard marauder build, take Fugue, Clairvoyance, and either Teleportation or a couple of speed-related mutations, something like this:

code:
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
and anything you're not comfortable standing next to while you kill it, send 2-8 other versions of you to do the job instead. you can also give them move and attack orders exactly like any other companion -- cursor over them or an enemy / space on the map and then press space for the menu

e: Wings can also work (they increase charge distance and sprint speed, which is fantastic for getting your clones into melee); the point is just to minimize the time they spend getting to the enemy while you're lower-level and the duration isn't all that long. Clairvoyance isn't strictly necessary but lets you deploy them from anywhere on the map, and is just a really good utility mutation in general

for skills, clones know how to use almost everything now, so go ahead and take lots of active skills even if you, personally, are not the kind of person who remembers to use them. in fact it's even better if you don't remember to use them, because your clones inherit your cooldowns when created

i believe they also each get their own cap to how many times AV reduction from axes stack, although i'm not 100% sure on this. it's possible that a bunch of optimized dudes with axes just kills everything regardless

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
a variant of that build that i wouldn't recommend yet, but would if the devs ever fix the inconsistency between how durations are counted vs. how cooldowns are counted, is going all-in on sprint synergy with Wings, Two-Hearted, Hurdle / Longstrider / Conatus, and Kah's Loop

right now it doesn't really work because durations are counted in subjective time -- meaning if you're going at lightspeed, your buffs still decrease by one turn for each action you take -- but cooldowns are counted in real time, so if you move 20 times a turn or w/e, it takes 20 actions for your cooldowns to tick down by one

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i believe they also each get their own cap to how many times AV reduction from axes stack, although i'm not 100% sure on this. it's possible that a bunch of optimized dudes with axes just kills everything regardless

A bunch of optimized dudes with axes and a non-zero chance to penetrate will very rapidly disassemble most enemies via Dismember procs, so the recommendation holds water regardless :v:

e: this is in contrast to pistol fugue builds, which are just six or seven people accidentally disarming each other in a circle

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Whereas the axe build is 6 or 7 people quite literally disarming everyone else!

I admit a small part of me wants to try doing a short little thing with a dumb gimmick, like temporal fugue and corrosive gas and just pissing off the world while simultaneously melting it, but I'm not sure I've got the patience and diligence for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Temporal Fugue + Pyrokinesis is funny if you want to make your own lava.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Whereas the axe build is 6 or 7 people quite literally disarming everyone else!

I admit a small part of me wants to try doing a short little thing with a dumb gimmick, like temporal fugue and corrosive gas and just pissing off the world while simultaneously melting it, but I'm not sure I've got the patience and diligence for it.

My favorite ever build was this. I also had carapace and ate the secret recipe that made me a slug, so I was a snail that could become even more snails farting acid everywhere.

My end goal was to get some cloning liquid so I could make clones who would summon their own fugues too but I died before my dream was realised.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
That's why you enable the debug options and just literally say no to death until you can achieve your dream and behold the nonsense it unleashes.

Or play in Roleplay mode. Abusing debug is kinda fun for just stubbornly smashing your face into something you're clearly not capable of handling though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

We're a melee-focused scorpion-man, with a poison stinger and the ability to emit sleep gas and clone ourselves. Our name is...

Hmm, wait, that's not quite right.

Much better. You'll notice I'm bringing a pet along too. Pets are from mods or being a pateon supporter, and just give you a free ally at the start with some unique interactions and dialogue. They're all universally terrible and are almost guaranteed to die in the earlygame unless you baby them hard or leave them behind in a village. But they're cute!

We begin the game in Tavah, a randomly generated village full of fractus and tall sunshades. There's also some blood around because we started in the middle of a patch of fractus got punctured a bit on our way out. It's fine, we'll walk it off.

At our side is our trusty companion, Snakelitetm.

We start out talking to the Zealot nearby.

I love option 2, but we'll be accepting the quest. Next we head over to the town's leader.

The villagers here are all dawngliders, who are adorable little fire breathing quetzalcoatls. Hostile ones can be the bane of low-level desert-wandering player characters, but these guys are all friendly.

We share our water, and our new sister teaches us Fasting Way, which doubles the duration of meal effects. It doesn't do anything for us yet, but that will come in handy once we learn how to cook.

Next we visit the other townspeople and see if anyone has work for us.

They both sound fairly safe and easy. We also meet the town's warden.

He's a rocket turret, which I suppose is one way to deter would-be criminals. It would be nice to become water-sibs with him as well, for the warden reputation, but...

You need oil to ritual with robots! We'll pay him another visit once we're better equipped.

Taking in the sights we find two statues that reveal historic sites! That's really lucky! Although it turns out that both of these sites are located in The Moon Stair, a very dangerous place where cause and effect start to unravel and some of the most dangerous creatures in Qud make their home, so we won't actually be visiting either of them for a very long time.

When heading out to leave we get a very rare sight:

Stairs up on the surface! They take us up to the top of what I assume are some sun shades

There's nothing to do or see up here, just taking in the novelty of aboveground floors.

With that done, we head to the world map.

We've started in the eastern edge of the desert, right next to the salt marshes. If you look closely you can see two tiles with triangles in the corner a bit to our north - those are the two locations we were told about, where our quests are located. We'll be ignoring them for now to head all the way north to the Six Day Stilt. Normally that journey can be a little risky for a level one character, but as a nomad we start with the wayfaring lore for salt dunes, which drops our chance of getting lost down to 1% and greatly increases our travel speed (which decreases how much water we drink).

We take a single step out of town, and then

find yet another historic site. This one we can probably actually do! To be fair, wayfaring lore greatly increases our chances of finding stuff like this as we travel the overworld, but this is still some really good luck.

Finding the site gives us enough exp to hit level 2, which then triggers us to randomly name an item! You can either enter a name manually, or have the game autogenerate one. There's no actual benefit to naming your items, though - it's just a flavor thing.

The rest of our journey is uneventful, so we make our way to the Six Day Stilt.

The quest to visit the Stilt gives a lot of exp if you can make the journey. This lets us skip past the squishiest part of our playthrough without a single fight! It's not ideal for every start, since you might begin farther away from the Stilt, or lack the wayfaring lore to get here peacefully, but for Stabtail here it's basically free exp.

We level up our mutations, put an attribute point into strength, and learn longblade and shortblade expertise, plus the shortblade skill Jab, which doubles your chance to attack with offhand shortblades. Since we have 4 arms we'll be getting a lot of extra attacks from that.

The warden here isn't a robot, so we make friends. Next we check out the tent in the bottom right.

We get a yondercane as downpayment, as well as the location of Bey Lah. I did things in the other order this time, but since wardens are interested in the location of villages, it's very common to come here, learn the secret location of the hidden village from Lulihart, and then immediately turn around and tell Esther all about it. That's what you get for trusting a PC, sucker!

The yondercane is actually pretty nice for a freebee. It's fairly valuable if we want to sell it, and eating it lets you teleport elsewhere on the map, which can be a literal lifesaver when things go south. Bey Lah itself is another decent earlygame quest. It's almost entirely dialogue - there's no mandatory fights, you just need to be able to walk across a couple screens of flower fields. Of course, the flipside is that as a quest that's almost entirely dialogue, it can get a bit old on repeat playthroughs. It does have some variations and multiple endings, though.

We share our water with Lulihart. Pariahs are their own faction, and while Lulihart can't teach anything, if we find a legendary pariah in the wild we can trade rep to have them teach us trash divining. It's nice to have some reputation saved up just in case.

To the west we meet this guy. Any history we learn about the sultan Resheph we can share with him in exchange for exp. Most of the sultans in the game are randomly generated with random histories, but Resheph is fixed and always has the same history - he's a pretty important figure in the history of Qud. Each fact we find is worth more than the one before it, so it's very worthwhile to hunt it down.

This statue is always inside his shrine, giving us our first piece of Resheph Lore.

Next we head north, into the main building at the heart of the Stilt.

It's an impressive place! Over to the left is the librarian, another extremely useful NPC.

Sheba's species is randomized each run. Sometimes she's a dog, sometimes she's a snapjaw, sometimes she's a human. This time she happens to be a tree. It can't have been an easy journey to the Stilt for her.

(not highlighted, but I chose "Where is the library")

When we find books out in the world, we can donate them here in exchange for exp. This is really useful and makes historic sites even more rewarding than usual, since they tend to have lots of books. We don't have anything for her right now, though, so we move on and say hi to the pope.

The pope doesn't actually have much dialogue when he talks to us, but that's because he's giving a sermon now - he shouts it out line by line as you pass enough turns in here. Stabtail might hang out and listen to it later, but for now we take a look around and explore the rest of the Stilt.

The Six Day Stilt is a special location. Every tile on the world map corresponds to a 3x3 grid of maps, but usually the village is only in the center. The Six Day Stilt, though, takes up the entire 3x3 grid. The central building, and the special NPCs we talked to at the entrance are always there, but surrounding the cathedral are a bunch of tents with randomly generated merchants. What you get is different every run - sometimes you get a Stilt full of great stuff like ichor merchants and jewlers, sometimes you get a stilt full of beekeepers and hookah bars. Our Stilt this time is fine, but nothing too exciting. We visit a chef for a delicious meal

And then get ready to head out.

Next time: Combat?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The LP IS BACK (under new management)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't think i can commit to doing an LP run right now but the secret is that if you use clones, you don't need ranged weapons. the clones are your ranged weapons, and they scale with melee skills, mutations, and gear.

so basically do a bog standard marauder build, take Fugue, Clairvoyance, and either Teleportation or a couple of speed-related mutations, something like this:

I'll have to try this. Axes are fun as chimera proved, but ranged axes sounds even better

verbal enema posted:

The LP IS BACK (under new management)

Hell yeah, and hopefully one day you can make a grand return if your laptop gets better