Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My immediate impression is that something abstract will be a better fit for your space, than more concrete art like classical landscapes or portraits.
Perhaps a semi-3D piece might work, like a collage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think 3D would look great at first, but it wouldn’t be dusted once in 10 years.

Prioritizing cheap, have you looked into some of the big murals or maybe wallpaper with a really large pattern? It has to be very large-scale and appropriate to the space, but it could look really good imo. Or one of those geometric patterns you DIY with painters’ tape, although that might date faster. I would do that entire upper window section, all three sides of the box, not just the area between the windows.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that's the trouble with 3D art, it tends to collect more dust.

Another option could be a large chandelier or pendant lamp, which of course have the same issue of needing to be dusted.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

nielsm posted:

My immediate impression is that something abstract will be a better fit for your space, than more concrete art like classical landscapes or portraits.
Perhaps a semi-3D piece might work, like a collage.

yeah sorry I said modern, but I meant abstract. Some abstract muted... if that makes sense.

I'll also look into this large pattern wallpaper, that hasn't crossed my mind...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agree on not putting a traditional painting or similar there, it's so high up that I think it would be weird. Idk what a modern equivalent of a hunting trophy is but that's the sort of thing that would fit there

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

fyallm posted:

We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

What a cool spot. What color palette are you looking for? If you want to DIY it, feeding chatGPT prompts for abstract art until you get something you like, then copy it. There might be student shows at local art schools/colleges. If it were me, I'd paint directly on the wall and screw in a 1x3 frame around it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When I'm suggesting a lamp it's something like these I imagine:

Louis Poulsen Lighting Cirque
(Probably around $500 a piece)

Louis Poulsen Lighting Enigma 545
(Probably around $900)

Louis Poulsen Lighting PH Artichoke
(Probably around $7000)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fyallm posted:

We moved into our house last year and have been slowly getting it together, but one thing that has been bugging us is trying to find a piece of art to go up above our ledge in our greatroom in between our windows. Thinking of something modern-ish, but we haven't really found anything. Any help on where we can be browsing? It is a big area, so we know it won't be super cheap, but not looking to spend crazy thousands of dollars either. Thanks!

Why not go to some galleries and check out some art? Large format doesn’t necessarily mean more money. It’s a chance to support working artists. If nothing else you might get a sense of what you like.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Also bear in mind any other art you have in the house - you might want to stick to the same vibe, or you may want this space to be a visually-distinct focal point. If you don't want to commit to a large piece of art, consider maybe 3 or 4 smaller complementary items.

If it were my house, well that spot looks to be perfect for an oversize pop art poster. But you look like you are aiming for a more tasteful vibe.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Put in the groverhaus windows

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
I was looking at stuff from Singulart that might fit the bill or at least let you narrow down what you're interested in.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Are there sites where you can get large paintings or prints in like a $800-1000 range? Feels like the OP should just go to Wayfair, World Market, etc and get something for $200 if they want to shop online.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

BigFactory posted:

Why not go to some galleries and check out some art? Large format doesn’t necessarily mean more money. It’s a chance to support working artists. If nothing else you might get a sense of what you like.

Been to a couple in my area, and haven't found anything that I have liked or thought would look good in the space.

quote:

Also bear in mind any other art you have in the house - you might want to stick to the same vibe, or you may want this space to be a visually-distinct focal point. If you don't want to commit to a large piece of art, consider maybe 3 or 4 smaller complementary items.

As of now, there is 0 other art pieces in the house.

quote:

Feels like the OP should just go to Wayfair, World Market, etc and get something for $200 if they want to shop online.

Have already looked at those sites and haven't found anything, and my budget can go up to like $2,000 but I would prefer not that high, but I understand it will be more than 200.

I have been liking some of the pendulum pours artwork I have seen but it might be too abstract? our walls are crushed ice, and our couch is vertual snow (white) from Arhaus but we have some wood accents in the living room as well. With some blue pillows on the couch. Thinking the painting should incorporated some blues and more muted colors. I would like something that pops out but the significant other doesn't think it will look good.

Here is the setup we had over Christmas

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 8, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AliExpress has amazingly cheap but good printing on canvas services. There’s almost limitless high res public domain images available, just have one printed up. Having it stretched and framed should still be easily in your budget.

I gave my dad a nice framed map like that, the detail was much better than I expected or even needed really. Carpenters I know made the stretcher bars and frame so in my case it was an almost free gift :toot:

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I would do it myself. If you want abstract, you could use any photo of a close up detail of anything, as long as it has the resolution you need to print big.

High quality: If I were printing for a client or gallery or something, I'd probably go to mpix.com (https://www.mpix.com/wall-art/canvas-prints). They're the consumer arm of a professional lab that's been around for ages and claim certified archival quality on their canvas prints. They seem to go up to at least 40x60 for around 500. I haven't had a reason to make a canvas print with them yet, but they're a good company and I've never had a problem with anything I have ordered from them. They have framing available as well.

OK quality: Shutterfly.com does canvas prints up to 30x40 of your files or their stock files and will frame them too, if you want. They seem to be having a sale at the moment, but never get excited about their prices till you see what their shipping will add. They're one of those places that covers outrageous sales with outrageous shipping. They're good quality, but their printing on canvas sometimes makes things more faded-looking than a regular print. I haven't hung one in direct sunlight, but the ones we got on sale as an experiment and hung in the hall have done fine over at least a couple years.

Shutterfly will definitely print anything you send them, including graphic files you made in Photoshop or whatever, and they have stock images as well. I've never tried to print something like a text file or whatever at mpix, but I think they would probably do it.

ezprints.com has canvas as well, but I haven't tried it. I mostly only go there once in a blue moon for panoramic prints. I've never had a problem with them, though.

And, of course, you could just make any other kind of print as well. I highly recommend browsing both sites to see what's available.

eta: If you don't already have a lot of color going on, then I would absolutely choose something you love, and then echo the color from that throughout the room. Just little things. My kitchen is all sorts of off-white and tan, but it's tied together with bits of aqua because I found a little aqua clock I liked, and once you start looking at a certain color, you tend to find all sorts of things you never noticed before. Just don't overdo it.

guaranteed fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 8, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fyallm posted:

Been to a couple in my area, and haven't found anything that I have liked or thought would look good in the space.

As of now, there is 0 other art pieces in the house.

Have already looked at those sites and haven't found anything, and my budget can go up to like $2,000 but I would prefer not that high, but I understand it will be more than 200.

I have been liking some of the pendulum pours artwork I have seen but it might be too abstract? our walls are crushed ice, and our couch is vertual snow (white) from Arhaus but we have some wood accents in the living room as well. With some blue pillows on the couch. Thinking the painting should incorporated some blues and more muted colors. I would like something that pops out but the significant other doesn't think it will look good.

Here is the setup we had over Christmas

Paint the whole nook up there gold

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gold leaf is relatively cheap and fun to apply

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
If you put some tall vases up there, sculpture, etc. it will reduce the amount of space you need to fill. It could also let you go bolder with the artwork because the objects clutter the space a bit and the contrast won’t be so stark visually.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone here purchased black flatware before? If so does the finish last, and do you recommend any specific brand?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Get a cat and put a bunch of cat trees and poo poo up there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I had a similar dilema. I'm not very artistic, but I painted my own. I just picked a bold design without a lot of detail. A big canvas from an art supply store is like $100, you'd need supplies for like another $50. You might need someone to hang it for you though.

Edit: There is a city in China where the local industry is reproductions of famous paintings. Done with actual paint and not just printing.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Life-Arts/Life/Chinese-village-produces-60-of-world-s-replica-oil-paintings

Netflix had a documentary about forgeries that came from that city. Pretty good, imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XNM-LYflco

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 9, 2023

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

ohhyeah posted:

If you put some tall vases up there, sculpture, etc. it will reduce the amount of space you need to fill. It could also let you go bolder with the artwork because the objects clutter the space a bit and the contrast won’t be so stark visually.

Yeah, we are currently looking for some fake plants / tree / shrubbery to go up there but everything ive seen looks way too fake. But i have to remind myself it will be 10+feet up in the air.

And i like the idea of being able to go more bolder because of the stuff!

fyallm fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 9, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The giant Home Depot skeleton would look good up there. Anywhere really.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Snowy posted:

The giant Home Depot skeleton would look good up there. Anywhere really.

This isn't really helpful...

quote:

Or in short, if someone comes in asking for help, your options are:
1) help
2) don't post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fyallm posted:

This isn't really helpful...

Seems helpful to me. I agree with the other poster, giant Home Depot skeleton in that space would actually kind of own.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I don't prefer that, so that isn't helpful..

quote:

Similarly, if someone's asking for help with their hollywood regency interior, please don't tell them they should replace it with contemporary minimalism because that's what you prefer.

I guess I've gotten all the help I can from this thread, thanks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fyallm posted:

Asking strangers who don’t know your tastes (because you admittedly don’t own any artwork) to help you pick out art for your home is a really difficult ask. Don’t get snippy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fyallm posted:

Awww, poor you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

more skeletons

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

I'm not a fan of putting art in your house that you aren't in love with. I AM a fan of beautiful textile arts though, and would like to add art quilts to the possible things to go in that space.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=art+quilt+large&ref=search_bar

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Idlewild_ posted:

I'm not a fan of putting art in your house that you aren't in love with.

I agree with that. If you don’t like it or didn’t make it, don’t put it in your house. Textile art is pretty cool, a sculpture would go up there, I like the large format wallpaper idea too. Anything except getting a large format print of AI “abstract” art.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Asking strangers who don’t know your tastes (because you admittedly don’t own any artwork) to help you pick out art for your home is a really difficult ask. Don’t get snippy.

Yeah, I didn't realize you just meant you wanted to fill the space with something meaningless to you. In that case, here you go:
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...ject%3AAbstract

That picture makes it look like you can buy matching pillows, but I can't be assed to figure that one out.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you don't already have a family crest, you can research and make one. Even if it's tacky, it's yours.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Oh man, rasterbator still exists.

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009

Cornuto posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone here purchased black flatware before? If so does the finish last, and do you recommend any specific brand?

Titanium flatware comes in black, is extremely safe and durable and the finish should last long. I don't know brands but any design you like should be good if it's pure titanium.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I need a Window Treatments 101; new place has a bunch of windows that needs blinds or curtains or both, and I just have no loving clue what I'm doing. Like, I don't even know the correct points to be measuring from - the windowsill? the frame of the window itself? inside the box of the sill, outside of it? Do I need/want blinds and curtains? Is just one or the other fine or correct? I think once I understand what I'm doing I can handle actual aesthetic choices, but it's just a complete blind spot in my understanding of decor and I just don't even know where to start.

Help.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chevy Slyme posted:

I need a Window Treatments 101; new place has a bunch of windows that needs blinds or curtains or both, and I just have no loving clue what I'm doing. Like, I don't even know the correct points to be measuring from - the windowsill? the frame of the window itself? inside the box of the sill, outside of it? Do I need/want blinds and curtains? Is just one or the other fine or correct? I think once I understand what I'm doing I can handle actual aesthetic choices, but it's just a complete blind spot in my understanding of decor and I just don't even know where to start.

Help.
I like horizontal blinds because you can have privacy and light and can easily vary how much privacy/light you have. I love that I can basically set my blinds at the angle I want and never touch them again and not have to open/close them all the time depending on if I want privacy or light. I hate vertical blinds, they always get tangled and waft around from the AC or a fan and I think they look terrible but YMMV. They may be considerably cheaper, idk. Blinds can get pretty expensive especially if you have alot of windows. They also won't get you complete blackout like you can get with curtains. Roman shades are kind of a halfway and can give you pretty good blackout as well as having lots of fabric options but are either open or shut like curtains. With curtains you have a million billion options decoratively (basically any fabric can become a curtain) for better or worse. I'm not sure they're necessarily any cheaper than blinds.

There's a million places to order blinds, they all have pretty good directions on how to measure. Blinds and roman shades usually fit inside the window casing, curtains usually go outside of it. They're not hard to install yourself if all your windows are fairly accessible, but there are also services that will handle all the measuring and install for you for not a ton more money.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chevy Slyme posted:

Help.

I really like the Roman blinds from ikea that have magnets in them. They’re cheap and ok

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not exactly what you're looking for but when I first started living somewhere with exterior shutters they were a game changer, I'm never going back. Great light exclusion and temperature control and if the house is an appropriate style they look good too. Fancy ones can also perform a privacy function while letting light in but they're probably $$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chevy Slyme posted:

Help.

can you take some pictures and share?

Talk to a place that does these, they will typically send someone out to do all the measurements, bring samples, recommend options for free, that's what I did. The person that comes by will also have a precise measuring device for the inside or outside of the window pane - you really don't want to do this yourself as if it's even a bit off you are kind of screwed. Hunter Douglas is a bit pricy but well worth it - I've had honeycomb shades from them for 12 years now.

I always like blinds because of the flexiblity of how open they are (or you can even pull them up, though many people including myself never do that).

these are the blinds I have in my bedroom https://www.hunterdouglas.com/window-treatments/blinds/wood-blinds/parkland

honeycomb shades are good in areas where privacy is a concern, like on my main windows since i'm on the first floor. they can be pulled up from the bottom or down from the top. so I keep the bottom open during the day, and the top open at night.

https://www.hunterdouglas.com/window-treatments/shades/cellular-shades