Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I got bad news about the fuel use required to get to Burning Man in the first place. The extra fuel use from a generator to charge an e-bike is negligible in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

fermun posted:

I got bad news about the fuel use required to get to Burning Man in the first place. The extra fuel use from a generator to charge an e-bike is negligible in comparison.

Sure, but it's the principle. One is avoidable, and one isn't. One is "included" in the cost of the event, one is an unnecessary add-on.

e - "The ocean is full of plastic, me tossing this wrapper out of my window is negligible in comparison, so I'm gonna do it"

it's a nonsensical argument that leads nowhere except Problemtown, population everyone.

e2 - and before we draw a comparison between this and e-bike usage at home, plugging into the grid at the wall to ride hills in the city is different to transporting diesel to the desert and running a generator to ride around a party on completely flat ground

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 8, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Unless you're disabled in some way you don't need an e-Bike for burning man you lazy gently caress

Recharging IS a problem, cos you'll need a genny. That's fuel and smoke and noise etc. You're tapping into the global petroleum market and that leaves a hell of a trace.

Jealous you're going though.

drat yeah that sucks, before op and his e-bike showed up burning man was such a quiet event which definitely did not release a huge amount of smoke into the air every year in some sort of annual tradition

E: to be clear I support people’s libertarian drug party endeavors and while I care about the climate I think it is very unlikely anyone ITT is an enemy of the climate

tildes fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 9, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

tildes posted:

drat yeah that sucks, before op and his e-bike showed up burning man was such a quiet event which definitely did not release a huge amount of smoke into the air every year in some sort of annual tradition

every bit is still real and still counts

and the person trying to sleep next to the genny would notice the extra noise

The merits of releasing all the other smoke into the air every year is a completely seperate conversation

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

On a less snarky note, are there any bikes that play around with combining a long-tail with a bakfiets front-bucket? Couldn't find any with google.

I would have thought we'd see a few designs as like a genuine car-replacement by now. Is there a reason we haven't? Does it become a bit too unwieldy?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sure, but it's the principle. One is avoidable, and one isn't. One is "included" in the cost of the event, one is an unnecessary add-on.

e - "The ocean is full of plastic, me tossing this wrapper out of my window is negligible in comparison, so I'm gonna do it"

it's a nonsensical argument that leads nowhere except Problemtown, population everyone.

e2 - and before we draw a comparison between this and e-bike usage at home, plugging into the grid at the wall to ride hills in the city is different to transporting diesel to the desert and running a generator to ride around a party on completely flat ground

I guess I feel the solution on attending an avoidable libertarian drug party would be to avoid it. I guess you feel the ocean being full of plastic is necessary.

You do know that the kind of people that can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a weekend drug party and also can spend thousands of dollars on an ebike for that drug party are enemies to any sort of climate goals, right? and that that includes you who wants to be one of them?

mystes
May 31, 2006

In my experience, burning man is actually quite avoidable

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

fermun posted:

I guess I feel the solution on attending an avoidable libertarian drug party would be to avoid it. I guess you feel the ocean being full of plastic is necessary.

You do know that the kind of people that can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a weekend drug party and also can spend thousands of dollars on an ebike for that drug party are enemies to any sort of climate goals, right? and that that includes you who wants to be one of them?

For all its faults, the libertarian drug party does have a lot of social utility, yes

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I really wish a company like Lectric or Aventon would take a crack at a cheap mass produced front loader bike. I don't think my dog being on the back of a longtail would be a problem though. She weighs less than a lot of kids I see being hauled around (55-60lbs) she is just long and lanky and can't fit in a small front basket

She absolutely loves running alongside the bike and it's a beautiful sight to see her at a full extended gallop keeping up with me at 20mph for short sprints. I tow a trailer now, and let her run for part of the trip and ride the rest to keep her from damaging her paws and getting heatstroke. I'd just like a solution that replaces the trailer where my "rig" is a single vehicle I can easily lock up and park like a normal, if large, bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

On a less snarky note, are there any bikes that play around with combining a long-tail with a bakfiets front-bucket? Couldn't find any with google.

I would have thought we'd see a few designs as like a genuine car-replacement by now. Is there a reason we haven't? Does it become a bit too unwieldy?

It does become really long. Some people have goofed around with it with the Argo Cargo retrofit kit. I can't find a pic of one of the setups where it was a Xtracycle with an Argo Cargo bucket out front.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't ridden a front bucket bike before, but isn't this design popular because of certain European/Netherland urban bike laws? Like they put kids in tiny front buckets over there.

I think rider in front and heavy cargo in the back is a better design. You get better visibility in turns and in intersections

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

It's more about center of gravity. Keeping the cargo floor below the axles gives more stability with a heavy load, particularly if things shift around in transit.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Gangringo posted:

I really wish a company like Lectric or Aventon would take a crack at a cheap mass produced front loader bike. I don't think my dog being on the back of a longtail would be a problem though. She weighs less than a lot of kids I see being hauled around (55-60lbs) she is just long and lanky and can't fit in a small front basket

Could be because it's a niche design. I don't think I've ever seen a reliable front loader ebike that's below 5 grand.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

incogneato posted:

Obviously the answer is a second dog to aid in even distribution.

:amen:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well you don't need to get 2 battery at first. But standardized battery means you can get one 5 years down the road.
2 batteries also means you can more easily run them 80-20% instead of full cycling them and that does wonders to avoid performance degradation.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 9, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

I haven't ridden a front bucket bike before, but isn't this design popular because of certain European/Netherland urban bike laws? Like they put kids in tiny front buckets over there.
You got much better dynamics out of a long-john until really modern long tails started showing up (with truss'ed frames and small wheels to keep the center of mass low). Older long tails with large wheels and noodly frames were truly horrid to ride IMO.

halokiller posted:

Could be because it's a niche design. I don't think I've ever seen a reliable front loader ebike that's below 5 grand.
It's not as simple to make a good front loader as a really burly, slightly longer 20" bike. I don't know of an truly affordable ebike longjohn that's worth buying. Babboe City-E (3 and half grand or so) is about the quality floor I'd be OK riding.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 9, 2023

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I picked up an Ariel Rider D-class yesterday for $500. This is a dual motor bike, but the rear motor is currently not working and is throwing up a 08 error, which seems to indicate something up with the Hall effect sensor. Front motor still works great. Battery and tires are in good shape.

Solid purchase? Wasn’t sure how big of a pain in the butt fixing that sensor will be. Even with just the front motor this thing is a blast though

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

2 batteries also means you can more easily run them 80-20% instead of full cycling them and that does wonders to avoid performance degradation.

With two batteries, it's easy enough to swap before I get too low, but i find myself too lazy to go take them off the charger before 100%.

App13 posted:

I picked up an Ariel Rider D-class yesterday for $500. This is a dual motor bike, but the rear motor is currently not working and is throwing up a 08 error, which seems to indicate something up with the Hall effect sensor.

Solid purchase?
What customer support are you getting?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What customer support are you getting?

Idk, I just bought this off a friend of a friend.

Going to go unplug/replug all the wires from the rear motor and see if that fixes things. Otherwise I imagine I’ll have to replace the sensor

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

kimbo305 posted:

With two batteries, it's easy enough to swap before I get too low, but i find myself too lazy to go take them off the charger before 100%.

My Specialized just had a firmware update recently that maxes the charge at 80% and goes to 100% every 5th or 6th time it's plugged in, pretty nice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Get a timer, easy peasy to just give them a lil' squirt when they get lowish.

Barry posted:

My Specialized just had a firmware update recently that maxes the charge at 80% and goes to 100% every 5th or 6th time it's plugged in, pretty nice.
Can you tell it you want 100% before a big day in a way that's not loving annoying?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Like an outlet timer? Do you have a specific model in mind? The ones I just looked at are more for setting a schedule over 24h or week, not "run 5h and shut off."

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

REI is having a 20% off summer sale so the price of the e1.2 is much closer to the Xpedition that is in my cart. Is the Lectric Xpedition still a much better buy over the e1.2? I really love the orange on e1.2 but without riding either I don't know if the motor on e1.2 being weak as stephenthinkpad says as that big of a concern (for me). I get it's much heavier than anything I own, but I also have some years of cycling in my legs.

e: I'm already planning to upgrade the Lectric to Atlus tier since I love tinkering with bikes.

paberu fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 9, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Like an outlet timer? Do you have a specific model in mind? The ones I just looked at are more for setting a schedule over 24h or week, not "run 5h and shut off."
Yes, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Mechanical-Countdown-Timer-Grounded/dp/B00MVDTEXS/

:10bux:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

paberu posted:

REI is having a 20% off summer sale so the price of the e1.2 is much closer to the Xpedition that is in my cart. Is the Lectric Xpedition still a much better buy over the e1.2? I really love the orange on e1.2 but without riding either I don't know if the motor on e1.2 being weak as stephenthinkpad says as that big of a concern (for me). I get it's much heavier than anything I own, but I also have some years of cycling in my legs.

I've not been aggressively following new e-bikes lately since I've been satisfied with ours, but I saw the earlier talk about a weaker bike so I just decided to look up that e1.2 as well.

In my opinion, a 350W Bafang is too weak for something that's going to do some hauling. I'm pairing watts with manufacturer because I think Bosch, for example, likes to advertise a 250W motor and then do shenanigans for to exceed that. It's shenanigans to get around European laws and stuff. Something like 250W should give you the power of an olympic cyclist, but you're now also dragging around that much heavier bike with the motor and battery. I would recommend at least 500W if you intend to load the fucker up.

Also, you want to meditate on just having big panniers on a more conventional bike. A lot of those racks will tell you they only go up to 50 pounds because if they went higher, California (I think) requires it to be able to hold a baby seat, and nobody wants to get into that. Despite it, the bikes can usually take more. I use large panniers on my (non-trike) e-bike and with the rack, I can do 4 12-packs of beverages and half a week of groceries for me and my wife. I wouldn't think about a cargo e-bike unless I needed to do much more than that... and even then, I'd look into a trailer first. I'd like to note here too that I originally wanted a Radwagon and took the advice not to get into it.

I would expect it to eat rear tires. My rear tire loses air quicker and the tread is clearly more worn. This is despite my bike being a mid-drive. A hub drive typical wears out the rear tire much faster even without putting a ton of weight on it.

It does have seven speeds so I would guess you'd actually be able to use your legs. We have a e-trike with just three gears and the gearing is set so pedaling doesn't really do much at all.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I see, thanks! My hauling needs aren't going to be more than a Burley Bee for daycare ferrying for now and later on maybe a Thule Seat on the back. That and quick grocery runs to nearby places.

I'm still confused about the 350W with 80nm of Torque not being much since my own legs can usually sustain between150W to 200W by themselves (not quite the same thing) but still the cumulative output seems like it wouldn't be an issue.

paberu fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 9, 2023

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone know of an aftermarket battery lock? I've got a radcity and, as I'm sure everyone knows, the radpower bikes have basically identical keys for the battery locks and they can be opened with almost anything. I generally take the battery off, but if like to be able to secure it better. Wrapping something over the battery doesn't seem like it would work because you can just slide it off.

Also want to write in an ignition lock or hide a switch, but I should be able to figure that out

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Something like 250W should give you the power of an olympic cyclist, but you're now also dragging around that much heavier bike with the motor and battery.

250W over a 12h ride, maybe. Not necessarily a useful reference for output relative to a human rider.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

kimbo305 posted:

250W over a 12h ride, maybe. Not necessarily a useful reference for output relative to a human rider.

Can you explain more? I hear the whole "equivalent to athlete/olympic cyclist" thing a lot.

My own observation--if the wattage usage on my controller screen is accurate--is that around 250W is mostly counteracting all the weight of my fat rear end, the frame, the motor, and the battery. A 250W bike doesn't need as much of the stuff bolted on as I have, so it would figuratively perform a little better, but I can't help but be puzzled why one would go through all the effort for that unless they're a road cyclist that's gotten old and wants to keep up with the weekend club.

Edit: Or, maybe kids? I dunno. Giving a kid a 250W e-bike might be ridiculous.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Power over time is the important number.

Are you talking about a minute, an hour, ten hours?

Olympic level male cyclists can produce over 1000w for a minute, well over 400w for an hour, and I'm confident could manage well over 250w for ten hours.

None of that is particularly useful information for how a particular ebike is going to perform, because as you've rightly observed, the requirements are quite a bit different.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

This is not wrong, and it's very easy to do, but if you're comfortable with a little bit of wiring there's a more elegant answer to the problem IMO: https://www.amazon.com/Over-Voltage...ps%2C168&sr=8-4

Get one of these, hook it up to the DC output of the charger (the gizmo is powered by 24-48vDC) and just program it to cut off the charging current at a voltage of your choosing. I've used them for many years now on several bikes and chargers and they work great. On my mother-in-law's ebike I made a non-destructive addon to her charger by purchasing a male and female connector that would fit her charger/battery. On my own stuff I just cut and splice.

I have the voltage that corresponds to 80% written on the thing with a sharpie so I don't forget it. If I want 100% for a long journey I'll just set the relay to a higher voltage cutoff and let the charger itself cut power when full instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

paberu posted:

I'm still confused about the 350W with 80nm of Torque not being much since my own legs can usually sustain between150W to 200W by themselves (not quite the same thing) but still the cumulative output seems like it wouldn't be an issue.
A powered hub’s torque is direct to the wheel at whatever rpm it produces the most torque.
A mid drive’s torque is through a ~40t chain ring, so it’s not as diluted as a hub’s.
A hub drive has to be wound (that’s the motor’s KV rating) to still produce power at the maximum legal speed it’s sold for, which sometimes means they’re not very grunty down low.

Unless you’re getting a hub rated to 50mph i wouldn’t worry too much.
I rode a 500w/45kph hub for years on a cargo bike.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Or, maybe kids? I dunno. Giving a kid a 250W e-bike might be ridiculous.
It’s quite a bit for a kid’s bike yeah.

The problem with the EU regs is that they specified max continuous power instead of just an acceleration profile, so a middrive with gears is usually the best way to make use of the power.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 10, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does aliexpress sale 80%/90% chargers for 36v and 48v battery? It's a very simple idea right?

Maybe the damage caused by charging to 100% is so low even China doesn't bother?

I know EV cars have that function built in.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Ended up ordering the e1.2 on sale since it's going to be easier to return if doesn't work out in short term.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think the hydraulic brakes on my e-bike are crap. The lines do need to be bled, but the stopping power was a little weak even when the brakes were new. The brakes are "OEM" but I think they're Shimano clones. Are there different calipers I can use instead that are more suitable for a fast and heavy e-bike?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Unless your calipers are leaking, I would advice testing the best bleed you can manage and a new set of quality pads first. You can mount any calipers you want, though some changes will require other brake handles too, or hose replacement/adapters etc. Form factors of the caliper body varies, so does where the hose connects, and how (straight fittings and banjo bolts are what I have encountered using only Shimano stuff.) Last time i upgraded a caliper I had to modify a fender stay a bit since it interfered with the new caliper that is a little fatter than the old one was.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah fair enough. Figuring out what pads fit in there may help me figure out what this system is trying to clone.

I had some notion that four-piston calipers would overall just be better. I also figured there be more detailed specs and tables of stuff for selecting calipers, and I couldn't find anything. So yeah, it can wait.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think the hydraulic brakes on my e-bike are crap. The lines do need to be bled, but the stopping power was a little weak even when the brakes were new. The brakes are "OEM" but I think they're Shimano clones. Are there different calipers I can use instead that are more suitable for a fast and heavy e-bike?
What's the budget. I'd never in my life run brakes by anyone cheaper than shimano/sram/hope/magura. A set of BR-MT420/MT5's is like E150 and will let you find the grip limit of any bike. 400 bucks will get you a set of hope's that'll do the same, AND adjust to your preferred reach and bite point in microscopic increments. Discs and adapters cost peanuts, so going up to whatever max size fits your frame is also a no brainer on E(cargo)-bikes IMO.

I run tech4's on my pedelec cargo bike and I run out of (road) grip or arm strength before I can put even 80% 1-finger pressure on the lever.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 11, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Does tube brand matter much? I've gotten a couple flats on https://www.walmart.com/ip/904357201 from I'm assuming things like broken glass on the side of the road but I'm blaming the stock tires rather than the tubes and plan to get some marathon plus tires - I had those on a diy job a few years ago and loved them

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Try faltout sealant and/or liners.

Or sealant+ puncture resistant tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm having difficulties selling off my radcity 5 plus to make room in my garage for the nevo4. I would have thought a reduced cost slightly used decent brand ebike would have gotten more hits 😞