Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

All this gear/neutral talk and no mention of electric bikes?
What I remember from my LiveWire demo ride is no neutral, no gears, which I suppose makes sense in an EV

EVs are kind of always in neutral which sucks if you need to park on any kind of incline. I keep a velcro strap on board to clamp the front brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl posted:

EVs are kind of always in neutral which sucks if you need to park on any kind of incline. I keep a velcro strap on board to clamp the front brake.

I'm surprised they haven't got a simple brake lock catch like quads often do

Or I guess a parking brake like a big scooter if you're being fancy

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I PASSED

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vino posted:

I PASSED

:toot:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Congrats, welcome to the club.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Thank youuu

Yay I’m a thread title

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Congrats!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Vino posted:

I PASSED

:toot:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Vino posted:

I PASSED

rid bik

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

CONGRATS~

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Get a go pro

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i feel like a go amateur is even a little ambitious for me. do they have a go hobbyist

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Late to dog chat, but the thought is always on my mind cause there is a long anecdote of how to deal with dogs in the Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. Like quicksand, though, I've never dealt with a dog chase in real life even when passing dogs on a dirtbike.

This post is just a reminder that Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling are solid books when new to motorcycling.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I poo poo you not, our MSF teacher was an old Harley retiree. He had us sit in a circle while he told a bunch of embellished stories about his experiences riding and as a prison guard, including confusing ol' yeller by slowing down and speeding up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
War stories, I like to call them

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Preparing for my first multi-day, 2000 mile-ish road trip on the Bonneville by covering it in ugly, utilitarian luggage and trying to plan out how to make sure I have my coffee poop before I leave on the first day.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Late to dog chat, but the thought is always on my mind cause there is a long anecdote of how to deal with dogs in the Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. Like quicksand, though, I've never dealt with a dog chase in real life even when passing dogs on a dirtbike.

This post is just a reminder that Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling are solid books when new to motorcycling.

My real life experience is that proficient motorcycling has good advice on this and also just don't panic.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
stupid question - how do yall shop for insurance without getting inundated with spam? i've had my cars with AAA for 15 years, so it's been a while, but back when i was making that initial decision i just submitted a bunch of those online quote forms and, while they did what they said on the tin, those companies immediately sold me out; i saw a noticeable uptick in spam.

so, now i'm looking to insure my first bike, what's the smart move? call agents on the phone and hope they'll act in good faith? obviously i can't avoid giving my info to whichever company i start a policy with, but i am trying to keep my email and phone number off of everyone else's lists.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Raluek posted:

stupid question - how do yall shop for insurance without getting inundated with spam? i've had my cars with AAA for 15 years, so it's been a while, but back when i was making that initial decision i just submitted a bunch of those online quote forms and, while they did what they said on the tin, those companies immediately sold me out; i saw a noticeable uptick in spam.

so, now i'm looking to insure my first bike, what's the smart move? call agents on the phone and hope they'll act in good faith? obviously i can't avoid giving my info to whichever company i start a policy with, but i am trying to keep my email and phone number off of everyone else's lists.

google phone number and spam email account.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
My year two of riding:

Covered around 6k miles in year one
Greatly increased confidence and sense of control
Gained ability to do tight, low speed turns
First two-up rides
Two-up rides turned into her wanting her own bike
Gave brief lessons to her on my bike, replicated the same starting lessons that I remembered from taking the BRC
First long-distance rides across the state
Said long-distance rides now make me want to get a bigger sport-tourer from my current naked/kinda ST
Taking intermediate course this summer
Likely advanced course in fall
Self-promise to not buy more gear until I lose more weight to justify it

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i need some sort of shade to cover the gauges and various lights on my xr150l but i have no idea what words to search for. i don't need a windshield, just some kinda stubby bit of opaque or tinted plastic to shade the instruments so i can see them when it's really sunny. what am i looking for? i have to reach down to shade them so i can see if i left my blinker on or what my speed is, etc sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like you need an ice cream container and a craft knife tbh

What you're talking about is usually called a cowl fwiw

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If you think your blinker might be on, you can either find out by taking your eyes off the road for the full duration of a blinky cycle, or just hit cancel

:justpoke:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah just mash that cancel button compulsively, the repeater light is a waste of electricity that nobody looks at

I mean so is the speedo but I guess you might have cops to deal with

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

thanks for the info. i figured i could bubba something up pretty easily. i do compulsively mash the blinker button but then i'm never really SURE MAN!? YOU KNOW!? DID I TURN IT OFF FUUUUCK I DON'T KNOW AHHHHH! and so forth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Check mirrors, mash cancel, shift up needlessly, repeat

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

knuthgrush posted:

thanks for the info. i figured i could bubba something up pretty easily. i do compulsively mash the blinker button but then i'm never really SURE MAN!? YOU KNOW!? DID I TURN IT OFF FUUUUCK I DON'T KNOW AHHHHH! and so forth.

This is the true commonality between all motorcyclists. That and trying to upshift into a seventh that doesn't exist

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
If I try hard enough I'm going to hit seventh eventually.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Phy posted:

This is the true commonality between all motorcyclists. That and trying to upshift into a seventh that doesn't exist

6th for me but why you gotta call me out like that? :(

but i also feel seen...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Spiggy posted:

If I try hard enough I'm going to hit seventh eventually.

Me finding nothing but emptiness past 4th :(

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Just don’t throw a Harley with auto-cancelling blinkers into your mix. It’s downright satanic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Me finding nothing but emptiness past 4th :(

Do not, repeat DO NOT ride a SEA shitbike where fourth/fifth loops back around to first

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Do not, repeat DO NOT ride a SEA shitbike where fourth/fifth loops back around to first

Someone actually makes that? Geez.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The nature of a rotary gear selector drum is such that it kinda takes more effort not to make a bike like that

Not being able to go all the way around back into first is a feature lmao

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

for when you absolutely, positively need a rod to break the karman line

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

add "poke at choke lever" and it me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The nature of a rotary gear selector drum is such that it kinda takes more effort not to make a bike like that

Not being able to go all the way around back into first is a feature lmao

I literally met a board track bike (well, a very good replica of one) with no transmission or brakes whatsoever this weekend, and somehow I'd still rather ride that than the guaranteed money shifter

(Also, they should call it a ringgit shift because that's both the currency you pay for a new one and the sound the bike makes for its last fraction of a second of life)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd love a board tracker. I like to think about the finesse you would need to set up things like carb sizing, crank flywheels etc to make it respond perfectly even when the track is slick with oil and the rider is having to control it the whole way around.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
My insurance took forever to come in and I got bored of riding around the neighborhood so I didn't ride for a week. But it came in yesterday and I went riding two big circles around the city streets. I did some lane splitting for the first time and it is super scary. For some reason I'm worried that every car I pass will veer into me for no reason.

Also it has happened more than once that I'm going like 5 under the speed limit like the responsible driver I am and some LA Tesla dude will pass me in the oncoming lane. Academically that seems fine but in the moment it feels like something that shouldn't be happening.