Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

chainchompz posted:

FTL
Holy Potatoes, we're in space
X4
Elite dangerous
Objects in space
Starbound
Empyrion: Galactic Survival
No man's sky
Halcyon 6
I'm sure that Star Control 2 / Ur-Quan Maters isn't there only because it's too obvious, but I'm still gonna mention it just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

chainchompz posted:

There's a few games I'm looking forward to coming out right about now, (and tears of the kingdom is sold out by me or that'd be it for now,) but what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and that's sort of your base of operations and you're either alone or have a crew and the universe just sort of generates around you as you go. Ship/crew customisation and leveling is a must. Mile wide and puddle deep is ok.

if you're okay with roguelikes, i've enjoyed picking up Transcendence off-and-on over the course of basically forever now. (You can get the full game for free on their website, the Steam release just comes with some DLCs bundled in as well.) No leveling up, but all ships are fully customizable and upgrade-able.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chainchompz posted:

what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and :words:

To add to the list of titles already posted above, I'll suggest the mouthful of a title that is 3030 Deathwar Redux - A Space Odyssey. Top down 2d space exploration/combat, multiple sectors, customisation, free trade, story, but the twist in this one is that when you dock and step out of your ship, it turns into point-and-click adventure mode.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

someone awful. posted:

if you're okay with roguelikes, i've enjoyed picking up Transcendence off-and-on over the course of basically forever now. (You can get the full game for free on their website, the Steam release just comes with some DLCs bundled in as well.) No leveling up, but all ships are fully customizable and upgrade-able.

If you are playing space roguelikes I am gonna recommend this one called Prospector.
It's a neat turn based open-world-ish roguelike about exploring the galaxy and trying to strike it rich.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

[list]

[*]Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are all about the space truckin' experience, buy new ships and outfit them, go fightin' 'round the galaxy or make deliveries. The first game is technically 2D since you're piloting a big slower capital ship, in Outlaw you pilot a smaller fighter craft for more classic space flying. They've got a heavy vibe from their music that I think gets the space trucker thing across even more.

The soundtrack allowed me to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a space white guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDnFzr_ZaY

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Oh wow thanks folks! That's a big list to pick through. Should keep me busy for this summer.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

pOtShOtWilly posted:

A small group of four of us are looking for a new online co-op[...]I think we want something a bit more "couple of missions and done" with some kind of progression and development.

As others have said, Warframe is definitely a good choice since it's free. Some game modes can be completed in under 2 or 3 minutes to get rewards, others can be endless, but usually provide rewards in 5 minute chunks with an opportunity to exit, while others have 'waves' where the time to complete depends on how efficient your performance is.

It is a bit grind heavy for some people, and some of the progression is locked behind real world timers - e.g you find parts to build a new weapon; each of the parts takes 12 actual hours to build (once you collect all of the resources to build it), then once you have built all of the parts, the entire new weapon or Warframe can take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours to build. A few of the resources themselves also have timers, with one specific resource expiring after not being used for 24 hours (you usually only need one or two of these at a time for any particular item).

There are also time limits on character progression - your actual character levels are called Master Rank or MR. Even though every warframe and weapon has 'levels', they just indicate the amount of mod/upgrade cards you can equip at any time. The MR can only be increased by doing rank tests, and if you fail the test it's a 24 hour wait before you can try again (you can do unlimited practice tests, but the game doesn't tell you the option exists, they are just located in the same testing area). How do you make progress towards the next MR test? By building and levelling up each weapon and Warframe to max rank.

As far as I understand, if you and your friends all wanted to play together, they would all need to finish their starting quests first which might take a few hours. This is true regardless of if they start with the 'normal' game or the new Duviri expansion.

What I've written doesn't sound like a good sell but I've had the game installed for at least a decade and have more hours in it than any other game I've played (most games which I really like I might get around 200 hours in, for Warframe I have about 3k hours).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 21, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Looking for a good "break game" I can play with trackpad/keyboard on my laptop. I feel like this could be a simple action game (preferably with some leveling grinding) or a satisfying quick action-puzzle game.

I tried doing this with the game River City Underground, since I was big into River City Ransom DX. Simple beat 'em up, with leveling, new moves/combos and an open world where you can just do side quests and beat up punks. Game is decent for what it is, but playing with the keyboard feels like too much a disadvantage, especially as it got more difficult. I would be in the market for something like this, as long as it played a bit better on keyboard.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

Looking for a good "break game" I can play with trackpad/keyboard on my laptop. I feel like this could be a simple action game (preferably with some leveling grinding) or a satisfying quick action-puzzle game.

I tried doing this with the game River City Underground, since I was big into River City Ransom DX. Simple beat 'em up, with leveling, new moves/combos and an open world where you can just do side quests and beat up punks. Game is decent for what it is, but playing with the keyboard feels like too much a disadvantage, especially as it got more difficult. I would be in the market for something like this, as long as it played a bit better on keyboard.

Crypt of the Necrodancer. It is a rhythm game roguelike where the monsters move and attack to the beat of the (incredibly good) music. You try and move with the beat to get your multiplier up. It is great and was made for keyboard and can be played in pretty quick sessions (and will likely FORCE you to because of the difficulty level).

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 24, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I've heard of that game and really need to try it. I'm a very, very big fan of the Shiren rougelike games. The music aspect sounds a little problematic for work though...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've heard of that game and really need to try it. I'm a very, very big fan of the Shiren rougelike games. The music aspect sounds a little problematic for work though...

There IS a mode that removes the music and just leaves you a great, charming roguelike with simpler mechanics. You said "break game", so I assumed you'd be able to pop some earbuds in or something.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Yeah it's only a little problematic. I'll be trying this out when I have some time at home not playing Zelda, since it's usually not a good idea to crack open a new game during a quick break session

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

Turn-based games are handy for this, since you can put them down and the game basically freezes and waits for you. Two that immediately come to mind are Slay the Spire and Into the Breach. The latter is a tactical combat game that would fit the action-puzzle aspect, as you're given "perfect intelligence" of what the enemy will do next turn and in what order, so victory feels like solving a series of puzzles that happen to take the form of using mechs to gently caress up giant insects.

... And now I wanna play EDF.

Shine fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 25, 2023

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've become a big fan of playing Loop Hero during things like Zoom calls.

It's also one of those rare games that you can leave on in the background to silently grind away.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm looking for a strategy game where I can grow and manage a domain, but without war mechanics (or at least with highly abstracted ones). Something like a noncombat version of Lords of the Realm, or a medieval King of Dragon Pass.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm trying to get back into walking and losing some weight. Figured some sort of pedometer based walking game would help motivate me, but I'm also kind of over Pokemon Go, which was my original go-to.
Is there anything good for a "Walk to make your character level up" sort of thing?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game where I can grow and manage a domain, but without war mechanics (or at least with highly abstracted ones). Something like a noncombat version of Lords of the Realm, or a medieval King of Dragon Pass.

How about something like Aven Colony, or Surviving Mars. Both of these are essentially city building games. There's no war, instead you're dealing with a hostile and alien landscape.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

the_steve posted:

I'm trying to get back into walking and losing some weight. Figured some sort of pedometer based walking game would help motivate me, but I'm also kind of over Pokemon Go, which was my original go-to.
Is there anything good for a "Walk to make your character level up" sort of thing?

Orna is a jrpg that requires you to physically move around the world to explore. It's pretty neat.

StoryTime posted:

How about something like Aven Colony, or Surviving Mars. Both of these are essentially city building games. There's no war, instead you're dealing with a hostile and alien landscape.

Banished might work. It's a medieval era colony management game with no combat, it's all about managing resources and surviving on a frontier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Orna is a jrpg that requires you to physically move around the world to explore. It's pretty neat.

Yeah this is a pretty good one. I could definitely recommend it.

There was a smaller goon guild as well.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thanks, I'll check that out when I'm back in town

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

the_steve posted:

There's always geocaching, if you're into that?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

grate deceiver posted:

There's always geocaching, if you're into that?

I used to be really into that, I was trying to stick to more paved surfaces though. I had my fill of marching through brambles in the middle of state game lands to claim a used novelty pen.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Strong opinions on best Diablo game or Diablo-like? Never played any of these games (not a huge fan of isometric games generally), but want to give it a try and see if I enjoy it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

Strong opinions on best Diablo game or Diablo-like? Never played any of these games (not a huge fan of isometric games generally), but want to give it a try and see if I enjoy it.

Grim Dawn

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

There's always Torchlight 2 if you're averse to giving Activision/Blizzard money.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

I got a good mileage of Titan Quest and Grim Dawn. The latter is newer, but they're very much the same style and it mostly depends on whether you prefer ancient Greece or witch hunters.

For more basic click and slash style, I liked Torchlight 2 (specifically 2 as 1 just has a straight dungeon instead of a worldmap).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Come join us in the Marvel Heroes thread, where we've been nostalgia posting about the game for longer than it existed. Miss that loving game so much.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shine posted:

Come join us in the Marvel Heroes thread, where we've been nostalgia posting about the game for longer than it existed. Miss that loving game so much.

gently caress off for reminding about this game :negative:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

gently caress off for reminding about this game :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a44vGq-E-7U

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The trouble, at least imo, is that there's a couple of different competing standards for Diablo-likes and all of them have problems. So my question is are you looking for real crunchy build planning? Or a more general sense of adventure? Or press button, make big boom? Or just any form of number go up?

Titan Quest looks great, but plays a bit less than great due to various quirks. Grim Dawn is a direct spiritual successor that largely fixes those quirks...then adds new ones and is also far less nice to look at due to the visual design.

Diablo 2 has aged to a point where I don't see the appeal unless you already have nostalgia for it. Diablo 3 has the most immediate dopamine feel good press button, blow stuff up quality, but it has more narrow boundaries when it comes to builds.

Torchlight 2 is a more modern version of Diablo 2! ...It's also the most white bread and saltines of the bunch, with few to no distinguishing qualities. I personally think Torchlight 1 holds up a bit better, with the caveat that it is an interpretation of Diablo 1, so it's much more stripped down and basic.

I hesitate to mention Path of Exile because it's my kryptonite, but if you're looking to really, really get lost in the weeds of build crafting, it's the one you want. It's also the only one that's free to play.

The Adventures of Van Helsing has three games worth of content and kinda picks and chooses ideas from everything else along with some new ideas. It's very Grim Dawn in style, but written with a lighter tone, has pretty basic skill trees but fleshed out with some unique systems, and takes Torchlight's faithful pet gimmick and swaps in a snarky ghost partner with some actual build customization. And throws in some tower defense too cuz why not.

Chronicon is a very distilled down take on the genre, but not a diluted one. I personally thought it put too much emphasis on crazy unique loot over interesting skill trees (though there are some good ideas in there) and the combat was maybe a little too slow/flat early on, but YMMV.

Last Epoch is or at least was the current indie darling but it seems to be in Early Access hell and constantly shows great potential without ever making it over the finish line. Currently people are pissed because they added a whole rear end cash shop when the game's still not 1.0 yet.

There's a few non-traditional options out there too. Victor Vran is a little more simplified but does its own thing and has slightly more action-y combat. 40k Inquisitor Martyr has a similar ethos but a different interpretation of it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hmmm, i guess I hadn’t thought about it to that degree. Mainly just looking for something fun and a good example of the genre in case it’s the last one I play. Sounds like grim dawn fits the bill. Thanks!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I find myself once again seeking Weird JRPGs, so hopefully some posters have various cult games they want to proselytize. But, of course, to be clear on what I mean by "Weird RPG", they usually fall into one of a few categories:

-RPGs with weird mechanics or mechanics that were way ahead of their time and thus maybe a little janky but also very charming (Live A Live, Treasure of the Rudra, Metal Max, Tengai Makyou Zero, moon, pretty much the entire SaGa franchise)

-RPGs with unusual narrative presentation or story structure (Live A Live, SaGa Frontier 2)

-Games with nontraditional settings compared to most RPGs (Live A Live, Laplace's Demon, Sweet Home, Anachronox, Adventures at Hourai High)

For platform, I can swing Switch/PC or any older Sega/Nintendo/Sony console up through the PS2 or handheld up through the PSP. Naturally, they'll need to be in English (so no Linda³ yet), but if they're fan-translated, I can work with that. And yes I've played Undertale, Lisa, and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

High chance you've already played it, but just in case: Valkyrie Profile (PS1/PSP) has a pretty unique battle system where each face button corresponds to a character, and you're incentivised to create fun, long, intricate combos. Norse myth setting, where you play as a Valkyrie gathering einherjar into your party...so that you can send them up to Valhalla (where you lose your recruited character, including items, exp, etc). Dungeon navigation is like a 2D platformer, with an attack that initiates battle that can also hit/break certain objects, and an ice projectile mechanic where you can step on them, break them, make them bigger, or make them so big they explode into dust, which is the equivalent of a slowly vanishing platform. It can get pretty complex so you might want to look up a guide for certain dungeons. Also has 3 distinct endings, with the B ending being easy to get, the C ending being a bad ending that you really have to go out of your way for, and an A ending that you can stumble upon but it's unlikely; best to bust out a guide again.

If you do play it, I recommend playing Hard Mode at it is unintuitively the easiest difficulty, because while enemies are tougher and dungeons are at their most complex, you also gain access to some really busted skills, while lower difficulties have easier encounters but also just straight up omits a number of skills. If you find the enemy is broken, your job is to set yourself up in a way to get brokener.

Also the recruitment stories can be pretty emotional and/or gut-wrenching.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you played Yakuza: Like a Dragon? That's a pretty unconventional setting for a JRPG.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have you played Mother 3?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
A little late but obligatory mention of Minecraft Dungeons for a fine Diablo like that's got good couch/online coop which is actually cross platform as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EclecticTastes posted:

I find myself once again seeking Weird JRPGs, so hopefully some posters have various cult games they want to proselytize. But, of course, to be clear on what I mean by "Weird RPG", they usually fall into one of a few categories:

-RPGs with weird mechanics or mechanics that were way ahead of their time and thus maybe a little janky but also very charming (Live A Live, Treasure of the Rudra, Metal Max, Tengai Makyou Zero, moon, pretty much the entire SaGa franchise)

-RPGs with unusual narrative presentation or story structure (Live A Live, SaGa Frontier 2)

-Games with nontraditional settings compared to most RPGs (Live A Live, Laplace's Demon, Sweet Home, Anachronox, Adventures at Hourai High)

For platform, I can swing Switch/PC or any older Sega/Nintendo/Sony console up through the PS2 or handheld up through the PSP. Naturally, they'll need to be in English (so no Linda³ yet), but if they're fan-translated, I can work with that. And yes I've played Undertale, Lisa, and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Off
Hylics

there's this one RPG or dungeon crawler I heard about months ago and only barely recall, where you're stuck in the underworld and your stats & abilities are represented by blotches of pigment

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hwurmp posted:

Off
Hylics

there's this one RPG or dungeon crawler I heard about months ago and only barely recall, where you're stuck in the underworld and your stats & abilities are represented by blotches of pigment

Ultima Underworld? :newlol:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

8-Bit Adventures 1 and Brave Hero Yuusha EX are mechanically straightforward games that do some interesting things with their stories.

Blackout Hospital is the story of a hospital janitor trying to escape from an alternate dimension.

Child of Light plays like a fairytale and is a pretty popular pick.

EARTHLOCK is pretty unconventional in every respect.

For Evelyn has some RPG mechanics but it's pretty different.

The Harrowed is pretty bleak and definitely qualifies as unconventional.

Jack Move is a single character RPG with a cyberpunk setting that a lot of people liked. I didn't get very far but that's on me rather than the game.

LunarLux isn't out yet but based on the demo from a few years back it's worth keeping an eye on.

Pale Echoes is a moderately difficult puzzle game pretending to be a JRPG. Combat is completely deterministic, so the challenge is all about figuring out how to finish each encounter.

Rise of the Third Power is a political thriller set in a fantasy version of 1930s Europe with some interesting mechanics. The same devs did Ara Fell, a really fantastic game telling a classic tale of elves vs. vampires on an island floating in the sky.

Slimes is a story about two guys who hate each other with tight story/gameplay integration. Both characters have powerful abilities that come at the expense of the other, so there are a lot of tradeoffs in combat. It's hard enough that you need to be smart but not so hard that you need to be lucky.

This Way Madness Lies is about a team of magical girls who protect the worlds of Shakespeare's plays from the forces of chaos. It's surprisingly mechanically deep, and if you play on the hardest difficulty level you're going to have to spend some time figuring out every encounter. It's from the same dev team as Cosmic Star Heroine, which is probably the best indie JRPG out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Brother Tadger posted:

My personal favorite is Diablo one, and I'd argue it has elements that aren't carried over in later games, but I'm really not sure how such an old game would land for a player sans nostalgia.

Oh! You might try the doom style rogue like, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Calypso Protocol??