Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a discussion on the new Amnesia game somewhere past the launcher talk? I loved the last one and I’m looking for how people are taking the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Impressions of it have been "short but sweet, really focused Alien Isolation on a budget."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Routine dead again?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

sigher posted:

Is Routine dead again?

At this point it's practically routine

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

sigher posted:

Is Routine dead again?

Always has been.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Impressions of it have been "short but sweet, really focused Alien Isolation on a budget."

hey hey hey rear end in a top hat, you need to spoiler tag that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vermain posted:

amnesia: the bunker reviews are coming out and it's looking like a good 'un, although you might wanna wait for a sale if you're on a budget, as the first full playthrough i can find on youtube clocks in a little under 2 hours and 30 minutes

Fwiw everything I have read said it's more like 7-10 hours, so maybe that person knew exactly what they were doing.

I played it for about 90 minutes and have barely accomplished anything lol. It's cool so far. Pretty drat scary. A little frustrating though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

veni veni veni posted:

I played it for about 90 minutes and have barely accomplished anything lol.

Same but my life

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more like oldshiftless

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CuddleCryptid posted:

At this point it's practically routine

I feel like the game is literally the wait and disappointment. They should just continue revive it forever because the game will never live up to the hype.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the generator mechanic in amnesia bunker is extremely clever and adds a whole new layer of pressure to what's already a notoriously stressful series

also provides more evidence for my theory that horror games with weapons are generally scarier than those without, because it doesn't cordon off areas into discrete Spooky Zones where you only have to occasionally run and hide. once the game shoves a gun into your hands it doesn't feel any need to cut you a break re: when and where you might have to use it

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I finished stasis today and immediately bought bone totem and love it so far although it's extremely easy compared to this company's other games. I'm about 2 hours in and it's definitely worth the $20. I like how some of the descriptions are more unsettling than the actual gore and such. one thing that's throwing me off is random spelling/grammar errors but meh, the rest of the game makes up for it so far.
basically if you like point and click adventure games + sci-fi/horror + lovecraftian poo poo you will probably like this game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This is a dumb question but do you need to have played the first Stasis/Cayde to enjoy it?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

no, there's not even really any direct references other than the evil megacorp. the first game is totally worth playing through but not necessary.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Montague Tigg posted:

I finished stasis today and immediately bought bone totem and love it so far although it's extremely easy compared to this company's other games. I'm about 2 hours in and it's definitely worth the $20. I like how some of the descriptions are more unsettling than the actual gore and such. one thing that's throwing me off is random spelling/grammar errors but meh, the rest of the game makes up for it so far.
basically if you like point and click adventure games + sci-fi/horror + lovecraftian poo poo you will probably like this game.

Does it "play" better than Stasis? It's been a while but I remember unskippable dialogue and a couple other things made it more annoying for a P&C than it should have been.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Zachack posted:

Does it "play" better than Stasis? It's been a while but I remember unskippable dialogue and a couple other things made it more annoying for a P&C than it should have been.

oh yeah it's definitely the most accessible of all their games so far. dialogue is mostly skippable although I wish there were text speed options. there's 3 characters that you switch between regularly but you can give each other items from anywhere so there's not really any tedious backtracking (yet). Stasis 1 felt "slow" to me at times and this game hasn't felt like that yet other than a couple puzzle things that were due to me missing an obvious note or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Fwiw everything I have read said it's more like 7-10 hours, so maybe that person knew exactly what they were doing.

I played it for about 90 minutes and have barely accomplished anything lol. It's cool so far. Pretty drat scary. A little frustrating though.

I’ll tag this for whatever reason it really is a 3-4 hour game max. What you see on the map is what you get and it ends shortly after the main objective of blowing up the debris. Don’t be alarmed if you’re actually halfway through though I don’t know if there’s any post game content

The Bunker really is Frictional taking the best part of Isolation and condensing it into a really focused experience. In terms of gameplay this is survival horror gold, the kind of game you hope flips the script from what Amnesia established. And its scope is just small and tight enough that someone with a small team and budget can replicate this experience this would fit well with a Dread X or Puppet Combo if it was going for a crusty aesthetic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I play Resi for the methodical exploration and map-clearing. I don't have the heart for a game where the short bit with the invincible stalker is made feature-length.

RE8 was pretty chill after RE7, since Ethan stopped between games and had a greater lung capacity than a 75 year old man.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s different when you can fight the stalker.

The Bunker puts the survival back in horror. Turns out the secret formula is a single area in the center of the map where you can save, a monster that can access every room, limited resources to activate lights which essentially act as monster locks, and the rest is filled out with environmental hazards. You feel like a scavenger in a controlled playground.

I don’t know how they’ll follow this up but imo it’s a wasted opportunity to not do DLC or an anthology series. This style would adapt very well to a Descent-like scenario or The Thing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Horror is infinitely more interesting when there's something you have to take into account more than just "Does spooky monster see me Y/N"

I'm definitely going to try this one.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
2 hours in and it's pretty rad. As someone said up above though I feel like even 2 hours in I've made little progress

Since I weirdly just finished Alien Isolation a few weeks ago it feels like I know what I'm doing. I've also got like... 6 cans of gas that I'm afraid to use. I'm just crawling around in the dark like a fuckin rat having a great time.

my eyes aren't glowing yet though

e-

Ashurbanipal posted:

wanted to bump this cause it looks cool as hell and I don't want it to get buried. might check it out at some point.

Lisa is a horror game??

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 7, 2023

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010

wanted to bump this cause it looks cool as hell and I don't want it to get buried. might check it out at some point.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

DourCricket posted:

Lisa is a horror game??

I guess it's more "depressing" than "scary", but I figured the tastes of the folks in this thread were close enough. :kiddo: There's definitely weird body-horror dudes, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lisa thematically has more overlap with horror video games than most RPGs that are mechanically similar, for sure. I don't know if I'd call it a horror game really but it doesn't strike me as weird to post about it here, the plot is a real undertaking of an experience in some ways, many of them horrific

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Brads life is pretty horrific tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at its most generous it’s a pitch-black dark comedy, and there are plenty of sequences that aren’t funny at all

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah this thread is very friendly to horror-adjacent games

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://youtu.be/ZfQ0KELzcqI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whatever the original Yume Nikki clone is called is absolutely a horror game that’s a thinly veiled domestic abuse metaphor. The commercial game is sillier in tone.

Lisa the First

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I mostly loved LISA but didn't like the DLC/sequel at all. Just felt like it didn't match up very well to the first game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mr E posted:

I mostly loved LISA but didn't like the DLC/sequel at all. Just felt like it didn't match up very well to the first game.

it was a completely unnecessary epilogue to a game that was superb on its own merits. maybe the expansion content in this new version will help with that but eh

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

it was a completely unnecessary epilogue to a game that was superb on its own merits. maybe the expansion content in this new version will help with that but eh

Yeah that's where I'm at. It's not really a game I have any desire to replay anyway but maybe something neat will be in it I can at least check out in a let's play or whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played an hour or so of Amnesia The Bunker and it's really tense even though I'm not sure what's the actual threat. However the inventory management makes it feel you have to play it smart so I was constantly on the edge of my seat waiting for something to happen.

Definitely looking forward to playing it more.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Some of the footage of the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre game looks intense, way more :aaa: than Dead By Daylight. :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

lisa the joyful came out around the time that jorgenson was seemingly having a nervous breakdown and decided he hated game development and it shows in how perfunctory everything about it was design-wise

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The music is still good tho

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is anyone playing Amnesia on the Xbox? Curious how it runs, my PC is getting a bit old now, I guess I can try it on both since it's on Gamepass but figured I'd ask, maybe save some time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Amnesia The Bunker is pretty drat tough even on normal. I keep dying to the thing because I'm not sure where to go and when the fuel runs out I either trip somekind of trap and it comes rushing or I stumble on it accidentally in the pitch dark.

I guess I should be filling the generator to the max and just keep trying until I find progress.

I kinda wish the had more save points like in Resident Evil because it sucks figuring out the right route, playing for 15 minutes very cautiously then dying.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

More alien isolation doesn't sound bad I might just have to get in on this. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
For people saying Bunker is short, does it have enough engaging gameplay to warrant further playthroughs, like harder modes or variations like REsi?