Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Log082 posted:

Oh man wait until you find out about the New Madrid fault.

Or the quake that cracked the Washington monument a decade ago.

God drat Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Is it really canon in the comics that there were actually three Jokers the whole time, like that had to have been just a one-off series right, there's no way they made that official. Right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They established that but didn't really do much with it, last I heard.

More one of those things that just makes a cute joke about how the Joker's characterisation, actions and history is so varied and uncertain even in-universe, that there's more than one person using the same mantle. There's also been a fair few implications that the Joker isn't so much a person as a phenomenon, and one reason Batman never outright kills the Joker is because he's honestly not sure it would even stick. (especially with the running gag in a lot of media of the Joker inexplicably surviving the unsurvivable)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham kind of toyed with the same idea by having their proto-Joker being twins with different personalities.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Gotham kind of toyed with the same idea by having their proto-Joker being twins with different personalities.

Every deck comes with two, after all. :haw:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

one reason Batman never outright kills the Joker is because he's honestly not sure it would even stick. (especially with the running gag in a lot of media of the Joker inexplicably surviving the unsurvivable)

In one story the Joker just randomly falls into a pool of rejuvenating liquid.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It would be super embarrassing it two jokers turned up at somewhere to crime and they were both wearing the same thing!!! LOL #RELATABLE

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Whatever else you can say about the Joker, he was an excellent Iranian ambassador.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Well, that IS an established part of Batman lore. Also that the Joker is, surprisingly consistently yet quietly, ridiculously lucky. IIRC the 60s version of the character in particular played it up as him being genuinely foolish and silly but prone to his wackiest ideas and antics somehow working out. (Except when it was funnier not to, like when he got in a fight with Alfred)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

Joker=Jason, huh.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and one reason Batman never outright kills the Joker is because he's honestly not sure it would even stick. (especially with the running gag in a lot of media of the Joker inexplicably surviving the unsurvivable)

I mean, what's the worst that could happen if he tried?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

They also had the cult of Jokers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Couldn't the show not actually use the joker? So they kept on stringing people with people who could potentially be the joker knowing they couldn't actually ever deliver.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Couldn't the show not actually use the joker? So they kept on stringing people with people who could potentially be the joker knowing they couldn't actually ever deliver.

To be fair, the guy they ended up with was fantastic. Jerome and Jeremiah were Joker in all but name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a dumb thing where Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska couldn't actually be the Joker but they had to basically fill the same role. So they could do stuff like have pale skin but it couldn't be paired with green hair.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The jokerz from batman beyond as a minor street gang of teens appropriating the joker's image for shock value was a decent take

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

It was a dumb thing where Jerome and Jeremiah Valeska couldn't actually be the Joker but they had to basically fill the same role. So they could do stuff like have pale skin but it couldn't be paired with green hair.

And all for the stupidest reasons that WB thought that audience would get confused by the joker being played by two different actors in the TV show VS the movies. Audiences have shown they are very bloody fine with there just being a whole bunch of different comic book versions going on.

Like how many different spider mans have there been in the last 10 years? It was truly bizarre.

All not to "ruin" Letos joke. lol.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heck, we've got at least three live-action Batmans right now simultaneously. Two of them in the same movie!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The moment I'm looking forward to most in the flash is Barry asking what the gently caress is up with Keaton's gruff voice. "Yea the other Bruce spent some of his billions and bought a voice changer. Saves a ton on lozenges. Might wanna look into that."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finally got around to watching Creed 3

I like Rocky 1, 2 and 3 and the first two Creed films a lot but in this one it felt like The Bad Guy Role wasn't really earned.

Creed 1 and 2 played off the lore that Stallone's movies built, and they were better for it, but in this one we're given a foil with a back story we've never been privy to, introduced out of nowhere and a dude with ONE fight that's supposed to be a killer heavyweight champ all of a sudden. The stakes just felt lower, manufactured and the build up was lacking.

MB Jordan is great, the direction is really good and the movie had its moments but I found myself not giving much of a poo poo about The Big Final Bout and, really, who The Bad Guy was supposed to be and why I should hate him or root against him. The guy had a legitimate beef with Adonis and never really did anything to make me think he was a huge rear end in a top hat that needed his rear end kicked.

I hate to say it, but I think the film missed Rocky Balboa as a character, Stallone's presence and that more tension might have been generated if the movie drew upon Clubber Lang somehow or something like that. Even a Drago rematch from Creed 2 would have had more heat.

The film briefly touched upon Adonis' daughter getting into fights, which was an interesting thing to explore, and then just leaves that hanging there too. There's no real reason to root for Adonis here and hope he fucks the other guy up.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

dr_rat posted:

It would be super embarrassing it two jokers turned up at somewhere to crime and they were both wearing the same thing!!! LOL #RELATABLE

They both simultaneously ask each other "WHY SO SERIOUS" in unison

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other than the times Gotham does infact execute someone I like to think Gotham is a bunch of bleeding heart libs that think they can reform 3 or 4 digit count killers.

also going by a Superman TAS episode where a dirty cop tries to kill Kent with a car bomb and fails, Metropolis and whatever state its in can just fast track executions. in this case for the dirty cop. good job Clark.

oh actual on topic for the thread. the Kill Bill speech about superman is super wrong? like the above episode has Clark literally say he needs his human identity.

e:drat supes was a dick in the 60s or whenever the silver age was.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jun 5, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair what Bill was saying was mostly true about Superman in the 60s.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bill is also, it should be noted, the bad guy. It's his "We are not so different, you and I" speech.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i did like in the Harley Quinn show where Batman is unmasked and the Joker freaks the gently caress out and then starts yelling at Bruce Wayne because he put a deposit down for a Wayne Enterprises electric car, and the production is off schedule, so where's my loving electric car, Bruce!

also we have a live action How to Train Your Dragon film being cast right now. IIMM: loving live action/CGI fuckups of animated movies!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cowslips Warren posted:

also we have a live action How to Train Your Dragon film being cast right now. IIMM: loving live action/CGI fuckups of animated movies!

I just watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse & on the way home a movie podcast on the film I was listening to mentioned Sony wants to make a live-action Miles Morales Spider-Man flick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

At least of movies that'll be heavily CGI'ed anyway. I still don't understand what was up with the Lion King movie.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

i did like in the Harley Quinn show where Batman is unmasked and the Joker freaks the gently caress out and then starts yelling at Bruce Wayne because he put a deposit down for a Wayne Enterprises electric car, and the production is off schedule, so where's my loving electric car, Bruce!

I love that stupid, stupid show. I swear that it has the best writing of anything batman related in at least, what like a decade?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

They both simultaneously ask each other "WHY SO SERIOUS" in unison

If they're both so similar, they should both know why they're so serious!!!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also immediately melts Scarecrow’s head, killing him because he never actually wanted to know who Batman is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And he immediately understands how being Batman stems from Bruce’s dead parent complex and hates it because it’s boring and and everything’s ruined now

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Android Apocalypse posted:

I just watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse & on the way home a movie podcast on the film I was listening to mentioned Sony wants to make a live-action Miles Morales Spider-Man flick.
Miles was in the comics for ~3 years before the Spider-Verse stuff started. Still hinges on the death of Peter Parker storyline which makes the video game stuff a bit wonky but whatev

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Speaking of this movie

Spider-Man 2099 is my favorite Spider-Man, he fights capitalism in a cyberpunk dystopia. This Miguel was entirely too evil and that makes me sad.

also I had been told the movie was a cliffhanger but I wasn't expecting it to cut there which was some bullshit

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

And he immediately understands how being Batman stems from Bruce’s dead parent complex and hates it because it’s boring and and everything’s ruined now

This precisely. The fact that he knows who Batman is ruins everything. I think this is also the series where the joker hooks up with a normal woman, a single mom, and he actually enjoys being a stepdad, and somehow it all loving works.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

This precisely. The fact that he knows who Batman is ruins everything. I think this is also the series where the joker hooks up with a normal woman, a single mom, and he actually enjoys being a stepdad, and somehow it all loving works.

I like when he resolves to try again with the woman because he's realised that even now that he's back out of his right mind he still cares for her and he's just like "I certainly don't want to beef it like you did with Ivy."

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

You know what I just realized?

The guy who plays that role you just described as Joker, Cameron Monaghan, also plays Cal the Jedi hero and main character of the fantastically popular Star Wars games.

You know who played the role of Joker in at least a bajillion different shows and movies? Another main character Jedi, Mark Hamill.

Whoa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also immediately melts Scarecrow’s head, killing him because he never actually wanted to know who Batman is.

In the comics it's heavily implied that he knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne but doesn't care. Because, why would he?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yup. It's an amazing show. I loved the episode where he had the feud with the other neighborhood mom with the lemon bars.

Yea in the comics it's sort of an open secret, but basically he's trying to kill the Batman or make Batman break his code and kill him. He doesn't have a problem at all with Bruce Wayne. He's just some rich prep school jackass who doesn't matter in the least to the joker. He's not fighting Bruce, he's fighting Batman. They are the same person but Bruce is boring and not worth the time or trouble. Batman on the other hand, oh you gotta love those wonderful toys of his...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Jun 8, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

In the comics it's heavily implied that he knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne but doesn't care. Because, why would he?

More that he's wilfully ignorant. Interesting mirror to how Gordon in many versions probably could figure out Batman's identity but actively chooses not to pursue it.

The Harley Quinn show is basically canon Venture Bros at times.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Joker also angrily pointed out to Scarecrow that he had plenty of opportunities of unmasking Batman but didn't care.

I think this is also Batman's gambit-the only people potent enough to be able to really unmask him don't give a poo poo. Why would someone like Darkseid, for example, really care who Batman really is? And the kind of people who would care and would use it against him usually don't have a snowballs chance to reveal it.

Like the old episode with the evil scientist that learned Bruce's identity, but Robin disguises himself as Bruce to screw with everyone and discredit the scientist to other villains. Even without that Two Face, who knew Bruce personally, refuses to believe Batman and Bruce would be the same person.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BigHead posted:

You know what I just realized?

The guy who plays that role you just described as Joker, Cameron Monaghan, also plays Cal the Jedi hero and main character of the fantastically popular Star Wars games.

You know who played the role of Joker in at least a bajillion different shows and movies? Another main character Jedi, Mark Hamill.

Whoa.

They actually did a commercial together for the latest game, Jedi Survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

They actually did a commercial together for the latest game, Jedi Survivor.

A series of commercials! Mostly of them trolling each other.