Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

zoux posted:

Frank Langella is great in it

Langella is great, and honestly I don't mind Beymer, either; his portrayal of "tired of it all, especially of what other people want him to be" works for me. It's just that later arcs, in comparison, put more emphasis on characters we know already or will see again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"Off the hook, after all."

That landed pretty well if I'm being honest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I always wonder with retro watches like this if the viewer (me in this case) is going to land the hammer on the head of some controversial nail or in-joke that fans have discussed to death for ages. I'm glad in this case, it's an in-joke and not some highly controversial point about the subtle portrayal of the characters.

You will and you will find that everyone here is quite happy to relitigate whatever issue you raise ad nauseam. Oh and by the way, transporters are suicide booths.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Keiko scolding O'Brien for racism and then doing a racism herself is loving great writing.

Also my wife thinks O'Brien looks like Chandler. I can see it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, when they took the sticks out, I thought for sure they'd be an integral part of playing the game, for like making barriers, attacking enemies, or moving pieces chopstick style.

They're for sounding, obviously.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dr Bashir I Presume is an interesting one because it says a lot about Star Fleet that Julian is so afraid that they will find out that he is secretly south-Asian

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 8, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Starfleet: "You're not allowed to genetically engineer your kids."

Bashir's dad:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Beeftweeter posted:

perhaps today is a good day to dine

This. It's this one. A+

I'm thinking this for the tagline of a Klingon-themed but Ferengi-owned Applebee's type chain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On another note, I think a strong indicator of classic Trek's early wonkiness at least in TNG comes in Tasha Yar's ridiculously edgy backstory, growing up on a shithole moon with rampant crime otherwise and explicit mentions of (sensitive subject)sexual assault. It was such a clash with the tone of the rest of the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah sheer loving hubris is a lot less offputting and jarring than tasha backstory blurb.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Did Quark face literally no consequences at the end of "Invasive Procedures"? Everyone made such a big deal about him having gone too far that time, but the episode just sort of ends.

Starfleet justice is practically incoherent. Did they just like let the Trill go? The episode just kind of ended.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A new Star Trek strategy game was announced, Star Trek Infinite. It's from Paradox that makes great strategy games.

From the teaser it looks like at minimum you will get to choose between Federation, Romulan, Cardassian, and Klingon factions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You can tell this show is fantasy because as soon as a villain is confronted with their own lies or evidence of wrongdoing, they immediately backdown even if they don't admit guilt.

Gul Dukat leaves DS9 when his conspiracy around Rugal is revealed.

Jaro immediately caves when Kira presents the log with the Cardassian thumbprint.

I know they have to wrap the episodes up at the 45 minute mark, but it often comes across as cheap and unsatisfactory, plus a little naive. Like I don't expect the Federation to behave like Trump, but a Bajoran supremacist who just attempted a coup would probably put up more of a stink about "false news" and "Federation conspiracies" but it appears that the character never shows up again so it's just neatly resolved. The Bajorans who really bought into the Circle's narrative aren't suddenly going to reflect on how they were easily misled and used by the Cardassians anymore than your average Republican is going to admit that Trump attempted a coup on January 6th.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

A new Star Trek strategy game was announced, Star Trek Infinite. It's from Paradox that makes great strategy games.

From the teaser it looks like at minimum you will get to choose between Federation, Romulan, Cardassian, and Klingon factions.

Opened the link, saw the Borg cube, sighed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

Opened the link, saw the Borg cube, sighed.

To be fair the borg would fit the enemy super weapon kind of thing that’s in Stellaris pretty well.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can tell this show is fantasy because as soon as a villain is confronted with their own lies or evidence of wrongdoing, they immediately backdown even if they don't admit guilt.

Jaro immediately caves when Kira presents the log with the Cardassian thumbprint.

I know they have to wrap the episodes up at the 45 minute mark, but it often comes across as cheap and unsatisfactory, plus a little naive. Like I don't expect the Federation to behave like Trump, but a Bajoran supremacist who just attempted a coup would probably put up more of a stink about "false news" and "Federation conspiracies" but it appears that the character never shows up again so it's just neatly resolved. The Bajorans who really bought into the Circle's narrative aren't suddenly going to reflect on how they were easily misled and used by the Cardassians anymore than your average Republican is going to admit that Trump attempted a coup on January 6th.

I've been re-watching the x-files and I chuckle every time they talk about the syndicate fearing exposure. An entire generation of tv writers with Watergate brain.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope they get the four actors from the end of that trailer back to do voices because Carolyn Seymour was good in "Face of the Enemy"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Junkball’s got a new video on the Titan A today, some literal lol moments

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

zoux posted:

Junkball’s got a new video on the Titan A today, some literal lol moments

Link that poo poo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Woop!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DflErrGcNI

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"Let's set the stage for the Enterprise-G, or rather the Titan-A. Here's a recap of how we got here. Picard season one happened. Season two happened. Then season 3 begins with Picard receiving an urgent message"

Perfect summary, lmao.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cenotaph posted:

I've been re-watching the x-files and I chuckle every time they talk about the syndicate fearing exposure. An entire generation of tv writers with Watergate brain.
When the X-Files began, the Watergate scandal was less than twenty years ago. We are further away from the X-Files' first episode than that episode was from Nixon's resignation.

Welcome to the only game in town.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

"Let's set the stage for the Enterprise-G, or rather the Titan-A. Here's a recap of how we got here. Picard season one happened. Season two happened. Then season 3 begins with Picard receiving an urgent message"

Perfect summary, lmao.

Would have been better if it was "Season 1 didn't happen. Then Season 2 didn't happen. Then Season 3 beings..."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

cenotaph posted:

It's internally consistent with UFO lore though. No need to cover poo poo up if you don't fear exposure.

Maybe aliens are shy or whatever.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

When the X-Files began, the Watergate scandal was less than twenty years ago. We are further away from the X-Files' first episode than that episode was from Nixon's resignation.

Welcome to the only game in town.

Yeah but they lived through Reagan proving nothing mattered and still kept beating that drum.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I’ve never heard of Junkball before and just subscribed. Pretty fantastic channel; thanks!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're not wrong, but you do need to make some allowances for anything made before 2016. I mean that was the way they resolved plots in pretty much everything back then, because it still seemed like a safe assumption that people would actually care. And to some extent I do think an actual societal change happened on a fundamental level. "The Drumhead" from TNG has probably suffered even worse in this regard. At least DS9 has the advantage of letting a lot of the villains return and have a continued arc instead of just going away forever, which makes it somewhat more realistic. Anyone who doesn't literally die in a DBZ space magic battle usually isn't truly defeated.

cenotaph posted:

Yeah but they lived through Reagan proving nothing mattered and still kept beating that drum.

Nothing truly comes out of nowhere, of course. But I don't think you can underestimate how much Fox News broke people's brains. (Combined with 9/11, of course.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 9, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sir Lemming posted:

You're not wrong, but you do need to make some allowances for anything made before 2016. I mean that was the way they resolved plots in pretty much everything back then, because it still seemed like a safe assumption that people would actually care. And to some extent I do think an actual societal change happened on a fundamental level. "The Drumhead" from TNG has probably suffered even worse in this regard. At least DS9 has the advantage of letting a lot of the villains return and have a continued arc instead of just going away forever, which makes it somewhat more realistic. Anyone who doesn't literally die in a DBZ space magic battle usually isn't truly defeated.

Oh for sure. It's really just an observation, not a criticism.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
It's amazing how much the First Duty is the prisoners dilemma for an hour.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also Bajorans aren't human and live in a completely different culture with different responses to things, she obviously they're going to react differently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Would have been better if it was "Season 1 didn't happen. Then Season 2 didn't happen. Then Season 3 beings..."

would've been better if Patrick Stewart decided to do literally anything else and they just couldn't make Picard

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh yes, I'm in for this

The Star Trek mod for Stellaris was really cool, but the mechanics weren't quite Trek-y enough, so if this can follow through, it'll be my perfect "lost six hours somehow" game

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
*Taps the "classic" part of the thread title*

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Should have just not involved Stewart and made Picard about the rest of the cast trying to locate him for 3 seasons, and then in the finale reveal that he’s been dead for ages and/or got his soul spliced into a new cast member.
Star Trek: Waiting for Godot

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HD DAD posted:

I mean when they killed Picard to put him into a robot, I thought that was an excuse to recast him as a sexy young hot guy. Instead they just made the most useless robot in the history of robotics.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Surely Morn snoring while drunk counts as a spoken line of dialog.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

*Tom Hardy steps out of the shadows* time to do some f*cking and fighting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Whenever Picard is not on screen everyone should be asking "where is Picard"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Whenever Picard is not on screen everyone should be asking "where is Picard"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picardy