Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Radiation Cow posted:

It's mushroom season and there are plenty of Amanitas floating around. Planning ok going actual mushrooming for some pine rings in the near future.

Those look glorious! I haven’t seen much around me except mica caps so far.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

No idea what it is

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Looks like an Agaricus, but they can be challenging to tell apart even when they're fresh.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Thought I wouldn’t see the stinkhorn again after we covered its spot.

Welp

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Still don’t know what these shaggy Agaricus(?) are, but we are getting lots of them and they are beautiful.

freeedr fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 28, 2023

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Looking like a russula. We mostly get them around fall here in the pnw but shrooms be mysterious

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

freeedr posted:

Still don’t know what these shaggy Agaricus(?) are, but we are getting lots of them and they are beautiful.

If you find a fresh one you could try to get a spore print on white paper, that’s helpful with ID

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

the yeti posted:

If you find a fresh one you could try to get a spore print on white paper, that’s helpful with ID

It has a dark brown spore print. I don’t know 🤷🏽‍♂️

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

freeedr posted:

It has a dark brown spore print. I don’t know 🤷🏽‍♂️

I could ask the local club if you would like but they’ll want to know which if any trees are nearby and the general geographic location.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Out on a walk

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Thread title updated!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Safety Dance posted:

Thread title updated!

ty friendo :tipshat:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

hare’s foot

freeedr fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 2, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Found some earth stars

And of course we always have more mica caps

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Button Mushrooms?

and a bit of the ol memento mori

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Please post images of fungal sporocarps

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

freeedr posted:

Please post images of fungal sporocarps

It’s been so goddamn dry here I haven’t seen any yet :sigh:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
My partner found some morels but unfortunately they were G. esculenta rather than M. esculenta and we're not brave or Finnish enough to eat them. Otherwise nothing yet this season.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

big scary monsters posted:

My partner found some morels but unfortunately they were G. esculenta rather than M. esculenta and we're not brave or Finnish enough to eat them. Otherwise nothing yet this season.

How can you tell the difference? I saw a model growing in my yard several years ago but didn't want to risk eating it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think the usual ID point is that true morels are entirely hollow while false ones have some stuff inside the "brain", but honestly I just felt suspicious looking at these and had them checked by a volunteer-run mushroom safety service who confirmed they were the bad* type.

*Of course they are considered a great delicacy in some places but I'm not really interested in mushrooms you have to repeatedly parboil to make mostly edible.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

False morels don't resemble true morels all that closely IMO though it is good to use the reliable diagnostics.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I still haven't seen a true morel in the flesh :(. Allegedly they grow in these parts but if anyone knows where they aren't saying.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 7, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

That is morelly reprehensible

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A local vendor at the nearby farmers' market has been able to get morels relatively reliably lately. The last couple weekends they've also had porcini mushrooms too.

Another vendor reliably has shiitake, chestnut, oyster, and lions mane mushrooms.

Last Sunday at the farmers market I grabbed some morels, porcini, and lions mane mushrooms to roast. Had them with steamed asparagus & beets (roasted the roots, pureed the leaves with butter).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

I still haven't seen a true morel in the flesh :(. Allegedly they grow in these parts but if anyone knows where they aren't saying.
If it helps they are just as good as they're made out to be. Absolutely delicious.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Android Apocalypse posted:

A local vendor at the nearby farmers' market has been able to get morels relatively reliably lately. The last couple weekends they've also had porcini mushrooms too.

Aren't porcinis and other boletes common enough for you to pick yourself where you are? Here (in northern europe) they grow like dirt when in season

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wouldn't be surprised if porcinis grow well here in Oregon. The environment is good enough for a variety of mushrooms. I believe truffles can even grow in the area.

Speaking of truffles… there was a Nicholas Cage movie called Pig where his truffle-hunting pig is stolen & he has to find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJTPbAm-SM
My ex-roommate dated the person that raised the pig used in the movie & even got to meet Mr. Cage in person.

I don't recall if the pig could actually find truffles though.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if porcinis grow well here in Oregon. The environment is good enough for a variety of mushrooms. I believe truffles can even grow in the area.

Speaking of truffles… there was a Nicholas Cage movie called Pig where his truffle-hunting pig is stolen & he has to find it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJTPbAm-SM
My ex-roommate dated the person that raised the pig used in the movie & even got to meet Mr. Cage in person.

I don't recall if the pig could actually find truffles though.

Warning: this movie is sad

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even better the initial marketing almost had Pig look like some John Wick-style revenge film, when instead it's a meditative film about loss.

My ex-roommate found a copy at a store for :10bux: so he finally watched it… and hated it. :v:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Porcinis and their close relative, spring kings, absolutely grow in the PNW. Never as explosively as in Eastern Europe, but enough that you can absolutely hunt them at high altitudes— my mushroom groups are already showing them at 4k ft in Oregon.

We do have a LOT of mushroom munchin bugs though. You gotta hunt the shrumps because by the time you actually see one, it’s more beetle than bolete.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You get them under spruce and fir out there right?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Noble fir mostly, although noble often grows interspersed with Douglas fir (not a true fir) and Sitka spruce here so it’s hard to tell exactly.

I found a tiny porcini last year at about 3.8k ft under noble and sitka near a low alpine lake in early August. It was higher than I usually look that time of year, since I typically hunt chants in the fall and not much in the summer, but I’ll be hunting there again this year.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yellow stainer

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
Found in NY attached to (sigh...a tree) sorry nerds, thought it was chicken of the woods while I was out but it is nothing like that. I won't eat it but am still curious about what it is. My bet is a non-edible chanterelle look alike (to a novice fungi-dummy)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Still getting these

elise the great
May 1, 2012

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Found in NY attached to (sigh...a tree) sorry nerds, thought it was chicken of the woods while I was out but it is nothing like that. I won't eat it but am still curious about what it is. My bet is a non-edible chanterelle look alike (to a novice fungi-dummy)

Compare to golden oysters, an edible variety! Go ahead and get a positive ID on them, but you may have found a delicious dinner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

elise the great posted:

Compare to golden oysters, an edible variety! Go ahead and get a positive ID on them, but you may have found a delicious dinner!

OMG INCREDIBLE!!!! That is absolutely got to be what it is. I am going to quadruple check but I think I might wind up eating this then, thank you!!!!!!!