Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Iunno, caves got pretty samey to me. It’s not like once you see one cave, you’ve seen them all, but eventually I lost interest in exploring any I came across.

The game definitely goes for quantity over quality, and to be fair, so did BotW. That might work for some people, but I’d vastly prefer a smaller map with deeper, more unique and fleshed-out adventures instead of Virtual Ohio Spelunking Simulator v2.0 (now with 200% more rocks and chests). I still think the core BotW formula can work, it just needs to focus more on tight, fun experiences and less on look at our map it’s like 10x Skyrim and takes you 150+ hours to fully explore wowee!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

zelda inventory: hey I know the last time you were in here you changed your pants but you picked up an apple 15 minutes ago so clearly that must be what you're in here for, here you go
me: no, I'm going back to the pants
zelda inventory: ok that's cool but I saved the cursor position from the food menu and moved it on the clothing menu too for absolutely no reason. you're welcome!!!!

for how polished the game is i can not believe how terrible some of the menus are

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PageMaster posted:

This water temple boss is super unfun to fight. It feels like it's badly missing a hokshot

idk if i was "overleveled" or what but it was by far the easiest boss for me.

like two shots of a chuchu jelly arrow took it to its stun phase

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pierson posted:

I remember from trailers one of the things they specifically said was "Rewind rocks that fall from the sky to find sky islands" but every time I've tried I've just never had enough rewind to be able to get back up to wherever they fell from. Is there a power upgrade later or something that lets me rewind further or is that just a thing that doesn't happen?

they let you get to lower islands but the higher ones are out of reach. they can be used as a vantage point to scout for caves and stuff tho

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Wave posted:

I meant I was looking for easily farmable ingredients for cooking to fill out the heart value of dishes to >10. Although I didnt understand thats how golden apples worked or that critical cook was even a thing so ty.

Certain combos of ingredients for specific dish types are useful, and make for great health-restoration options. Hearty items are harder to come by, as are endura items, but adding one of them to a dish is a full restore of health or stamina + the temp hearts/stamina on top. One Hearty truffle makes any meal a full heal, and they're found often in caves

Regular food does not stack, but roasted individual items do stack, so if you've got over 100 apples kicking around then turning them into 99 baked apples takes 1 food slot for topping off health bars. Same goes for meat, fish, etc. so if you hunt a lot and have a bunch of prime or gourmet meat, to the point that you only have one slot open for more food, consider turning a good chunk of it into roasted meat for that purpose.

Fried Rice is an easy early game meal. The Dining Hall of Hyrule Castle has a recipe for it on the wall, and that part of the castle is not in the sky, but you'll probably have to explore a bit to find the exact portion of the castle.

Monster Extract can potentially make more powerful meals, but the recipe pool is specific and it's RNG on purpose. You might get an OK dish, you might get a better crit cook than normal.

If you're planning on cooking and don't want to use golden apples in everything, wait until a blood moon and start cranking out dishes at 11:30 PM to 12:30 AM, you get crit bonuses during that time too

If you just throw 5 high-heart-value items together it should give a good amount of hearts too. Like 5 gourmet meats is an expensive dish but it will work if you are saving the truffles.

Save at least one Hearty or big Hearty radish, you can reuse them through the school quest in Hateno

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 8, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PageMaster posted:

This water temple boss is super unfun to fight. It feels like it's badly missing a hokshot
to offer unsolicited advice, you tried fusing an opal to a weapon? got me through that (dumb) fight ezpz

I'm the one person in the world that liked that temple on the whole - i'm a fan of the environmental gimmick - but the boss still stunk

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No Wave posted:

I meant I was looking for easily farmable ingredients for cooking to fill out the heart value of dishes to >10. Although I didnt understand thats how golden apples worked or that critical cook was even a thing so ty.

There's a shrine west of Hyrule field, Soanopan or something, with a big apple orchard and a pond full of birds right outside the front door. Make an autobuild of 15 regular and 5 golden apples and walk around the orchard having it pick them for you, then toss a voltfruit or two into the lake for a load of drumsticks.

If you just want an inventory full of good healing items, do a couple laps of the big area around the Tabantha stable on the way to Rito village killing moose, wolves, and bear for a bunch of gourmet and prime meat. Take a horse and leap off into bullet time and just headshot them, it's quicker than you'd think. Cook the gourmet together and sell those skewers and keep the prime for healing meals.

IIRC a hearty radish will always be a full heal +yellow hearts even if you just cook it by itself but those are a lot rarer.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

for how polished the game is i can not believe how terrible some of the menus are

Every time they tried to change the menus, it introduced 95 new duplication bugs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Epic High Five posted:

There's a shrine west of Hyrule field, Soanopan or something, with a big apple orchard and a pond full of birds right outside the front door. Make an autobuild of 15 regular and 5 golden apples and walk around the orchard having it pick them for you, then toss a voltfruit or two into the lake for a load of drumsticks.

If you just want an inventory full of good healing items, do a couple laps of the big area around the Tabantha stable on the way to Rito village killing moose, wolves, and bear for a bunch of gourmet and prime meat. Take a horse and leap off into bullet time and just headshot them, it's quicker than you'd think. Cook the gourmet together and sell those skewers and keep the prime for healing meals.

IIRC a hearty radish will always be a full heal +yellow hearts even if you just cook it by itself but those are a lot rarer.
Autobuild!!! This is the kind of advice I was hoping for!!!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you ever need rice or wheat, cutting grass most anywhere will get you rice but cutting grass in Tabantha will get you Tabatha wheat. You can build a vehicle with a Big Wheel underneath that had a couple rusty blades on it to quickly cut a shitload of grass and then hop off to grab items, but the item drop limit is 20 before it starts despawning old items to make room for new drops.

E: if you put a sapphire on a magic rod/staff/etc for the BIG ice bursts, you can swing it at trees for apples and rushrooms/violets/glowshrooms/etc to knock them off walls and onto the ground for easy collection

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I think the scale and repetition is interesting to compare to something like elden ring, where you might reasonably assume that many (far from most, but certainly many among the most hardcore) players will attempt to actively seek out most dungeons, and the dungeons can contain unique and important loot that might be crucial (or at least very fun) to your build. so I think there's more to the idea that repetitiveness might impede the intended ER play experience; if they didn't want people clearing everything they shouldn't have added achievements for finding every item etc.

in contrast, I think it's pretty clear Nintendo absolutely does not expect you to do all the caves or wells or koroks or worry about fully mapping the depths. the rewards for doing so range from "neat and unique but pretty unimportant" (most armor, including both the botw and totk all-shrine rewards) to "nice but generic" (large zonai charges, rare ores, korok seeds) to "bare minimum recognition bordering on active mockery" (hestu's gift, all lightroots reward).

to me the density and repetitiveness of the game world suggests they expect you to generally run around, hit the major quest points, do cool poo poo you see along the way, and move on. the expectation is not that you take the time to clear every cave or well, and the characters that reward you for doing so exist mostly to 1) sell the scale of the world and 2) offer some token reward for people who shoot themselves in the foot by trying to 100% things. if your goal is for players to mostly get like 30-60% completion and leave going "wow, and I feel like there's so much more I could've seen", making every cave or well unique and cool actively works against that, because it encourages greater efforts to complete everything.

not much point here just ruminating. I feel like making the player feel like hyrule is vast and cool and mysterious is part of the core BOTW/TOTK mission, and what's actually pretty clear from other big open world games in the past (see e.g. no man's sky) is that selling vastness and coolness actually requires a certain moderate-to-high density of activity, because otherwise it's just so much empty space. And there's still parts of the BOTW/TOTK map that feel underused even with all the repetition. it's a little like...idk, the many mini games of GTA V. they don't exist for the player to do for a long time, they exist to make you go "whoa, the scale of this world is insane." Mileage may vary but i think what Nintendo's doing with the games is a pretty hard needle to thread, and I think making any change to the approach while keeping the tone and vibe they clearly want is actually a pretty tough job. like caves are a nod towards this problem in some ways (they're mostly unique, they have unique rewards) and I'd argue they're clearly making people see clearing every cave as a set task the game wants you to do, as opposed to a cool thing you do a limited number of times over a playthrough.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 8, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is going way back to BOTW, a game i didn't really like, but i think the key is that almost nothing is actually marked with a few exceptions (like Old Maps, or, for some strange reason, the Fairy Fountains). you have to actively seek things out or see them on the side of the road to find them, versus the map with 500 markers that comes off as a giant overwhelming checklist

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

She doesn't live there anymore, she took over the house in Hateno. Make sure you look well.

Yeah what the gently caress is going on there, where did Link live? Unless...

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Link lives wherever the gently caress he wants, including outside / in a cave / underneath a hinox :colbert:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I found hearty truffles and radishes in some the most remote places on the map.

I’ve done some stuff and expect something really cool in return and it’s just one mighty truffle. However, I’ll take it.

The worst is when I find like a location with 3 constructs guarding a chest and it opens after defeating them and it’s 3 zonaite. Like that’s a second being down in the depths.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PageMaster posted:

Agreed. Someone in this thread I think pointed out a way to make it easy put a hydrant on a homing roomba

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Getting the memories out of order is a little whack sometimes, I had like 3 and then there was one where Sonia was dead somehow and you have no clue why

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
the game is still a work of mad genius but the cracks are starting to show

the biggest thing for me is that the sky, the overworld and the depths have started to feel like three completely separate games

the sky is Zelda nuts and bolts
the overworld is a traditional zelda
the depths are some sort of attempt at zelda dark souls except you drive around in a car

not to say that the other layers are bad, they are definitely still extremely fun. But I'm starting to feel if they'd just made the whole game crazy physics puzzles in the sky it would have been way better

the other big part for me is that even though the world is pretty significantly changed up it's just hard to get excited about exploring BotW hyrule for a second time

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
you'll never take the depths from me. I've spent like 40% of my playtime in there and I love them so much

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poque posted:

you'll never take the depths from me. I've spent like 40% of my playtime in there and I love them so much

I could teleport down there, or I can skydive through a pulsing red tunnel into blackness and hearing a giant brass BBBRRROOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW.

Easy choice really.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i had a funny moment when i was loving around in the sky doing one of those skydiving challenges, and I more or less accidentally landed right next to Sidon doing his waterbending and skipped the carefully crafted buildup for his quest.

If you do that he tells you to go back to zoras domain 'because dialog chains must be respected'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
one fun thing I found is that changing the map layer and backing out also changes the layer displayed in the miniap and this can be really, really useful when navigating unmapped areas in the depths or the sand shrouded version of Gerudo Desert

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Depths rule, I'd love it to have some harder fights but that's a complaint for every other biome too, it's there to be eerie and cavernous and a mystery you unravel piece by piece and boy howdy does it manage it. Like any mystery, you eventually solve it and it's just another thing, and that's fine.

It helps that it's the domain of my favorite faction in the game by country mile, the Yiga Clan.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Yiga managed to recruit a shocking number of new members who want to kill Link in the few years since he saved the entire world. probably lured in with all the fun toys.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

The Depths rule, I'd love it to have some harder fights but that's a complaint for every other biome too, it's there to be eerie and cavernous and a mystery you unravel piece by piece and boy howdy does it manage it. Like any mystery, you eventually solve it and it's just another thing, and that's fine.

It helps that it's the domain of my favorite faction in the game by country mile, the Yiga Clan.

Gee I wonder where this trail of bananas is going to take me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
idk if this was intended but the switching map layers thing is even helpful if you don't have the depths mapped in the sand shroud, since you can still see map pins when you aren't on the "static" over world map

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Poque posted:

the Yiga managed to recruit a shocking number of new members who want to kill Link in the few years since he saved the entire world. probably lured in with all the fun toys.

I'd probably join them if I was just some random jackass in Hyrule. The smartest good guy factions are just at the "wow, big statue?" phase and can't even feed themselves without someone engaging in a quest to find their favorite apple and resign themselves to death when they fall into a head deep pit, meanwhile the Yiga have a continent-wide network of operations including outposts in every part of the Depths, cutting edge technology deployed in every aspect of their operations, and massive storehouses of food all to support a clear long-term plan.

Link does his thing like, once a century or once every 5-6 years tops. Master Khoga on the other hand, is eternal and invincible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can you fuse loose rupees to vehicles?

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
I appreciate that the Yiga, despite knowing magic, have to assemble their Zonai vehicles with metal scraps/hinges/screws.

Have the BOTW 3 map be an industrial Guilded Age run by the Yiga. Have a statues of Kohga and his descendants in all Temples like the Eagans in Severence.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love wearing the Yiga Clan outfit and walking up to their traps/outposts to see their reaction :allears:

It also has a slightly different recolor if you dye it all yellow, specifically the mask logo is bright red instead of matching the dye color like the other options. Makes sense that it's unique, when I was recoloring outfits I made that one yellow because mighty bananas, duh. It makes me wonder if other outfits have other color options with a specific difference like that. Maybe there's a few references hidden within some unique color schemes

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I’ve been staring at this hole outside of Tarrey Town waiting for Dinraal for like 20 minutes now and I think I’m losing my mind!!!!11

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where’s this dang Akalla Citadel, I’ve been all over this region. I assume it’s like a tall building with a red thing on top?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And you know, fair's fair - I also eat a whole lot of these bananas, they're onto something there.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Where’s this dang Akalla Citadel, I’ve been all over this region. I assume it’s like a tall building with a red thing on top?

It's a bunch of ruins early in Akkala on a big steep hill, no big red thing on top but I guess there's some red carpet?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nae posted:

I’ve been staring at this hole outside of Tarrey Town waiting for Dinraal for like 20 minutes now and I think I’m losing my mind!!!!11

I was exploring around Hebra for over an hour last night getting caves and stuff, the entire time thinking to myself "Jesus christ Naydra I need one horn, where are you"

Lanayru. The answer is Lanayru :doh:

But you know the second you step away from that Akkala chasm, you'll turn back around and Dinraal will be juuuust starting to enter the chasm by Typhlo Ruins

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Finished the lightning temple last night. It was fine, but I should have definitely tackled these temples earlier in my playthrough. I'm rolling up to the fight with 43-60 armor and around 20 hearts. I was beating it senseless with a 75 power 1h'er with +2 attack stats. The leadup to the fight was really fun though, and the temple itself had some good puzzles.

Frankston posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is going on there, where did Link live? Unless...

It's no surprise she moved into his house. In BOTW Link decorated it like a proper goon: the walls were adorned with his cool sword collection. Now? It's Magnolia Homes artwork from Target.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i loved navigating the fire temple the most, but the lightning temple had my favorite puzzles

definitely my least favorite boss fight though. 35 arrows was not enough entering that one

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

bawk posted:

I was exploring around Hebra for over an hour last night getting caves and stuff, the entire time thinking to myself "Jesus christ Naydra I need one horn, where are you"

Lanayru. The answer is Lanayru :doh:

But you know the second you step away from that Akkala chasm, you'll turn back around and Dinraal will be juuuust starting to enter the chasm by Typhlo Ruins

He actually showed up after like 29 minutes, which makes me think I parked myself in front of his chasm maybe 30 seconds after he dove out of sight. Prick.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Epic High Five posted:

I’ve actually been avoiding a lot of the underground monster camps cause they kicked my rear end so much early game it wasn’t even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

The red refers to the trees on top, I believe. The location of what you are looking for was pretty hard to find for me, but I eventually got it. But yeah, it is a very tall building that almost just looks like a mountain. There are canons and stuff on it near the top, though.