Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujc7uMIzXrg

This should rule. I played a bunch of this with a friend and the levels in this are pretty fun and there's a ton of community creations as well.

Looks good, there are varied themes, and a good amount of content: 25 rooms + user made content. Nice.

edit:
https://twitter.com/vrdesktop/status/1666633359387238402?s=46&t=uCykHCyix8YQ19rb4vpGFw

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Walkabout Minigolf finally moving to end-of-life for the Quest 1 (though in pretty much the single best possible way they could have done, incredibly good dev team) might be the thing that finally pushes me to upgrade my headset.
Probably going to move over to the Pico 4 even with the Quest 2 price drop. The Quest 3 doesn't seem to offer enough over the Quest 2 and I'm incredibly reluctant to shackle myself to Facebook/Meta again at any rate.

In my country I see it has a new offer, they have lowered the price by 40€, to 389€. I guess to compete better with the new Quest 2 price.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ive gone into the weird reboot mode after leaving it alone for 6 months and the battery had fully died and it didnt want to wake up, but i dont think i ever had to factory reset anything. im guessing all my saves are local because why would they do anything for me for making me put all my info into the ecosystem

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Al! posted:

ive gone into the weird reboot mode after leaving it alone for 6 months and the battery had fully died and it didnt want to wake up, but i dont think i ever had to factory reset anything. im guessing all my saves are local because why would they do anything for me for making me put all my info into the ecosystem

They sure are! I had to factory reset once to fix tracking issues and was more bummed than I like to admit that I lost all of my Walkabout Mini Golf balls and clubs :smith:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

explosivo posted:

I lost all of my balls :smith:

:(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I don't disagree with that. Except the iVision SE will be $999 because of inflation

I don't think they'll sell very many of them though. Novelty wears off too fast
That’s because none of the existing manufacturers managed to produce software beyond cute tech demos. Apple has the best chance of doing better, but it will require them to embrace gaming in a way they’ve been really weird and gross about avoiding

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

They sure are! I had to factory reset once to fix tracking issues and was more bummed than I like to admit that I lost all of my Walkabout Mini Golf balls and clubs :smith:

losing my balls would be devastating op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

App13 posted:

Theoretical approach:

Sony makes X million Vision Pro screens at 4k resolution (or w/e) and gets the manufacturing process down to a science, reducing cost of manufacture from $400 to $200

Apple releases Vision Pro 2 with new 8k per eye screens

Sony still has the manufacturing capacity and know-how to make a bunch of 4k screens

Apple releases the Vision Air, which still uses 4k screens, forgoes the externally facing OLED, uses more plastic/metal than glass to save on weight

Vision Pro 8k retails for $3999, Vision Air retails for $1999

Repeat until you’re at the Vision SE for $899, Vision Air 3 at $1899, and Vision Pro X for $4500

In short, the longer you produce something the cheaper it is to produce it. Recycle old parts and processes for diffusion models and develop new ones for the pro models
——

Idk this is a guess as to how it could play out. Numbers are made up

Yeah, and Apple is going to force the industry to adopt way better tech as it goes. Apple getting into the game is good for everybody.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

This expensive apple headset will probably end up being the best PCVR experience
https://twitter.com/VRDesktop/status/1665799595371245574

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

Not that I was ever going to buy this, but as someone with a lazy eye, it probably literally won't work for me.

I wanna see sarah huckabee sanders trying to use one :shehuck:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

akadajet posted:

This expensive apple headset will probably end up being the best PCVR experience

Doubtful, since you can buy literally any consumer headset plus an entire gaming PC for less than the $3500 Apple Pippin attempt.

Hell I think the latest Pimax coming out plus a 4090-equipped PC is around the same cost.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I have to imagine that Apple has thought through the accessibility scenarios.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Doubtful, since you can buy literally any consumer headset plus an entire gaming PC for less than the $3500 Apple Pippin attempt.

Hell I think the latest Pimax coming out plus a 4090-equipped PC is around the same cost.

If the clarity is as good as the reviews say, it's probably best-in-class. It's certainly not a good value proposition for the vast majority of people.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

best in class is fine, but it's the software that's important. if you can't play minigolf in your kitchen then what's even the point of AR

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

akadajet posted:

I have to imagine that Apple has thought through the accessibility scenarios.

Core parts of their interface appear to rely entirely on voice and/or raising your hand to your head to turn a tiny crown dial

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

akadajet posted:

They aren't supporting OpenXR so I'm not sure how easy PC/SteamVR compatibility will be (if at all)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

blunt posted:

Core parts of their interface appear to rely entirely on voice and/or raising your hand to your head to turn a tiny crown dial

ios has a ton of accessibility options. apple usually takes that poo poo seriously.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

WaterIsPoison posted:

They aren't supporting OpenXR so I'm not sure how easy PC/SteamVR compatibility will be (if at all)

3rd party streaming apps I imagine will bridge all that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah note the source of that tweet, it's the Virtual Desktop guy. If he can release VD for the VP that makes things look a lot better. Though you still have the problem of what controller do you use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

akadajet posted:

Sure Oculus started with a Rift HMD and an Xbox controller. And then it got immediately eclipsed by a direct competitor offering tracked hand controllers and roomscale VR experiences, almost completely negating the original spec entirely as the standard for VR development.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah note the source of that tweet, it's the Virtual Desktop guy. If he can release VD for the VP that makes things look a lot better. Though you still have the problem of what controller do you use.

it'll be figured out I bet. at a minimum you can use lighthouse stuff.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

blunt posted:

The dev talk videos infer that all the UI functionality is accessible via eye tracking alone, through accessibility features.

Vision Pro is likely to be a godsend for those with very poor mobility.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

Vision Pro is likely to be a godsend for those with very poor mobility.

Yeah, and while the outward facing screen seems dumb for a lot of people. If you're using it out in the wild as an accessibility aid it's going to help with communicating to everybody else. I think it's a better idea than people generally realize.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lol are there actual human beings defending this utterly ridiculous Apple offering?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

akadajet posted:

it'll be figured out I bet. at a minimum you can use lighthouse stuff.

Your unwavering confidence in this product sounds like that of someone who has already made the decision to buy one. I hope for your sake they do figure it out!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

explosivo posted:

Your unwavering confidence in this product sounds like that of someone who has already made the decision to buy one. I hope for your sake they do figure it out!

I'm not buying this lol. I bet it sells out though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol are there actual human beings defending this utterly ridiculous Apple offering?

so yes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

we think you're going to love it, op

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Imagine, using app store apps while you can talk to people! And they can see your eyes! There's literally no other way to experience this. Thirty five hundred American dollars please.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes because when you realize what this first release really is, its not so stupid/wild.

I'm quite excited for the tech side of it. The price puts it out of range for normal consumers for 1st gen for sure which is fine. That just gives devs and enthusiasts and apple nerds a chance to break/fix things for the masses gen 2 and beyond.

Haters can hate. But apple tends to dip its toes once it figures things out and its looking like they have in a lot of ways.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The developer resources from Apple are fantastic in quality, they've really put work and thought into that end of things.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I truly believe it will flop hard and the second generation will be enterprise only, as has been the fate of the other $$$ overhyped ar nonsense. But I'm glad they were able to bring something new to market. I think it's been what, just the watch since the iphone release?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I truly believe it will flop hard and the second generation will be enterprise only, as has been the fate of the other $$$ overhyped ar nonsense. But I'm glad they were able to bring something new to market. I think it's been what, just the watch since the iphone release?

And the iPad. And the AppleTV.

E: AirPods I guess.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Oh yeah. Well none of those took off so I'm still feeling correct here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh yeah. Well none of those took off so I'm still feeling correct here.

iPads and Airpods both took off though?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

EbolaIvory posted:

iPads and Airpods both took off though?

Nah, first gen flopped and second gen was military contract production only for both of those if you remember correctly

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Could use some advice on using Airlink. I just signed up for a new internet provider (comcast) and installed their modem/router, ethernet is connected from the computer, and quest 2 connect to network. These are the only things on there so far, all in the same room. I dropped refresh down to 90, but I'm still getting a lot of occasional to frequent lag with relatively low requirement games (Robo Recall was my test game). I have a 3090 so I don't think it's a gpu issue. Made sure it's on 5ghz, but otherwise it doesn't look like Comcast allows me to play with other settings on their equipment. I don't mind dropping the visual quality a bit, but we are talking full second stoppages in the headset right now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nah, first gen flopped and second gen was military contract production only for both of those if you remember correctly

And where are they today 3rd gen and beyond?

Right. In tons of peoples homes and work places.

Parallelwoody posted:

Could use some advice on using Airlink. I just signed up for a new internet provider (comcast) and installed their modem/router, ethernet is connected from the computer, and quest 2 connect to network. These are the only things on there so far, all in the same room. I dropped refresh down to 90, but I'm still getting a lot of occasional to frequent lag with relatively low requirement games (Robo Recall was my test game). I have a 3090 so I don't think it's a gpu issue. Made sure it's on 5ghz, but otherwise it doesn't look like Comcast allows me to play with other settings on their equipment. I don't mind dropping the visual quality a bit, but we are talking full second stoppages in the headset right now.

If the device wont let you change channels and all that you may just need to get yourself a dedicated access point for the headset.

Also would recommend making sure minimal amount of devices are on said 5ghz when you're using it. Even just being connected is traffic.

Id just pick up a cheapish router for your headset otherwise.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

EbolaIvory posted:

And where are they today 3rd gen and beyond?

Right. In tons of peoples homes and work places.

p sure hoyden is doing a bit here, ipad in 2011 (when ipad 2 came out) sold over 30M units and almost doubled that for the next year. not sure airpods have ever not been in demand as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I think the joke is that is what happened to the Hololens